ADVERTISEMENT

NHL

Originally posted by BAC111:
Good game for Flyers. Mason played a great game but made two big mistakes. Will take the point.

Oh how is Matt Martins nose?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xam8QBFxznU
Fight was even, guy got a good shot in. Martin is a friggin' warrior, leads the league in hits every year and he is banging Boomer Esiason's daughter, he will be fine.

Originally posted by BAC111:
Good game for Flyers. Mason played a great game but made two big mistakes. Will take the point.

Oh how is Matt Martins nose?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xam8QBFxznU
Terrible rebound on the 2nd goal for the Islanders. I will take the point, but they needed 2 and they blew that. Up 2-0 they went into defensive mode way too early. Halak barely had to sweat, only 18 shots.

Originally posted by bmoneynova:
this whole Evander Kane situation is so weird.
It's like Boogergate. Unreal. But he's not playing there again I don't think. Seriously talented player, some genuine baggage I think. What is his value right now? This is not Seguin or even Kessel issue. More than that.

Mason injured again.....not even in game action.....again.

Tough blow for the Flyers, with Emery starting this min run probably won't mean much.

Islanders have a nice 4-game home stretch ending vs. NYR next Monday. They still don't have a good replacment for Okposo while he's out.

Flyers D and back checking has been tremendous lately. Clearly the players have bought in to the style of play that Berube has asked for and they need to play that way to make Emery a viable option.

Giroux line needs to turn it on and they need to overcome the tight checking they've received recently.

Kane to ... buffalo. Basically went from Winnepeg to the Winnepeg of the US. For Ty Meyers, Stafford , Lemieux, and one of their 3 first rounders ( lowest )

Kane won't play till next year. Solid haul for a guy everyone knew they had to move.

Flyers with points in 9 straight games (6-1-3 in their last 10) inching closer to a wild card spot. They should be higher too, 3 of those OT losses came in games they were up late. Nice to see them playing well of late but I really have no confidence in them making any kind of a run. They aren't bad enough for a top pick either so it's just another year where they are a middle of the pack team. I will give them credit for turning the season around in the face of a lot of adversity (injuries). I have been pleasantly surprised with Emery's play since Mason went down. He has looked like a different goalie.

Anyone catch the Pens-Hawks game? Check out the move by Kane in the SO:

ppevyntc9gx5ljipjseb.gif

Still chaps my ass thinking what could have been if the Flyers won the 2007 lottery like they should have since they were the worst team by far in 2006.

Wouldn't they be better off tanking?

Like you said, they suck. So even if they sniff a playoff spot, it's fool's gold.

How in the world has there not been a revolt amongst Flyers fans? It's time for Mister Snider to go.

arak, I watched it. Incredible. However, I thought the one by Toews was even better. Just unstoppable. It was a great shoot out.

That's an amazing bit of skill right there. Fluery plays him perfectly - he matches his patience the entire way, and he tries everything as Kane arrives - stick check, retreat, split - and still he is beat, and beat easily. Any team that makes it out of the west has earned it this year.

Originally posted by adp98:
arak, I watched it. Incredible. However, I thought the one by Toews was even better. Just unstoppable. It was a great shoot out.
Kane and Toews are amazing the in the SO. They have to be one of the best 1-2 punches in all of sports.

Rangers and Islanders just played one of the most entertaining regular season games I have seen in a long time. Absolutely 1980's hockey - end to end from about half way through the second onward. Fun game.

Flyers doing just enough to cement their place in no man's land. If they had any real illusions of getting in the playoffs they needed to not blow a couple of these games recently. 1 pt aint good enough when you have dug that big a hole for yourself.

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:
Rangers and Islanders just played one of the most entertaining regular season games I have seen in a long time. Absolutely 1980's hockey - end to end from about half way through the second onward. Fun game.
Any fights? Not 80's hockey without a donnybrook or two :)

Originally posted by wcburrs87:

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:
Any fights? Not 80's hockey without a donnybrook or two :)
A couple of skirmishes, and definitely some chippy play, but no fights. I dont associate the 80's with fighting - more so the 70s for that. For me the 80's was Edmonton and the Islanders and the golden age of great players. They were handing out 40 goal season at the airport back then. In 83-84, there were 24 guys who had 40 or more. Ever hear of Bill Derlago? He had 40.

Game tonight was just back and forth. You do see that sometimes these days - just not that often. Rangers finding a way to hold their own without Lundqvist. Only loss was @ Nashville, which is not awful. They are in, and that's pretty much all they need to do. It's all anyone needs to do in the east. Anyone's conference who makes the playoffs. Rangers' inside numbers are very good.

This post was edited on 2/17 12:06 AM by Ninetynine5.0

Dmill, I'm not a hockey aficionado by any means, but I always thought that all those goals were scored because of abysmal goalie play compared to today's standards. It seemed like goalies back then were about 15 years behind where offensive skill was. Whenever I watch a video of players from that era they were doing similar moves to what is happening today but the goalies were woefully inept. Sure there were great goalies for the time period, but I think that any of those great players could star in today's league still whereas the goalies, with that skill level, wouldn't make an AHL team.

Originally posted by selmore1:
Dmill, I'm not a hockey aficionado by any means, but I always thought that all those goals were scored because of abysmal goalie play compared to today's standards. It seemed like goalies back then were about 15 years behind where offensive skill was. Whenever I watch a video of players from that era they were doing similar moves to what is happening today but the goalies were woefully inept. Sure there were great goalies for the time period, but I think that any of those great players could star in today's league still whereas the goalies, with that skill level, wouldn't make an AHL team.
Well their equipment was half the size for starters. Pads, chest protection, and gloves - all much much smaller. The players were almost uniformly smaller as well. As Messier often said, he came into the league the big hulking power winger and left a small and shifty center.

The game was far more wide open. Much more open ice. More emphasis on how to score more, not prevent goals. There were some excellent and high talent goalies back then - but they had far less to work with. Go back and see films of those games and you see guys coming down the wing with plenty of net to shoot at. Now, you just see a gigantic heavily padded man taking up the entire net. It's made a huge difference. Game can use more scoring for sure. Skill level of skaters is very high right now - as high as it's been in many years. Really good time for the game.

Equipment, size of goalies, athleticism of goalies, and elaborate defensive systems has changed the game. All of those reasons make it harder to score.

Also, there was more fighting in the 80's and 90's (at least first half) than in the 70's. Yea, the Bullies get a lot of pub, but more teams started doing it after that. Well, at least if you looks at penalty minute leaders.

What amazes me when I watch these guys even moreso than stick handling or skating is the skill at which they can hit a spot in the net. It's truly amazing to see these guys moving and hit a window just big enough for a hockey puck. The shooting skill is just ridiculous. Note, I never played hockey so really don't have any real world knowledge beyond what my eyes see. Maybe I've got it all wrong.

Dmill that makes sense, wanted to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me but the pads they played with back then were an absolute joke compared to right now. Always wondered why there were such high scoring totals back then vs now, like watching Gretzky score those 100 goals, it sure seemed like he was scoring a ton of goals that would have no chance to go in now. It really looks like noone was playing any defense back then because it's just wide open look after wide open look.

The only thing I can tell you about playing hockey is that it is much much harder than it looks. Like infinitely harder to do the things these guys make look routine. I still enjoy playing though. Playing with a bunch of 20 somethings helps.

Originally posted by adp98:
What amazes me when I watch these guys even moreso than stick handling or skating is the skill at which they can hit a spot in the net. It's truly amazing to see these guys moving and hit a window just big enough for a hockey puck. The shooting skill is just ridiculous. Note, I never played hockey so really don't have any real world knowledge beyond what my eyes see. Maybe I've got it all wrong.
Classic adp post. Make some kind of claim and then throw in a "note" that covers him for being wrong since he is not a expert. You would make a great politician some day. I'd vote for you.

arak, when I decide to run I'd like to ask you to be my lead within the Armenian-American community. Very politically active and I'll need their support. I'll be moving back to PA when I run.

Flyers are killing me lately. They lose to the Sabres and then beat the Preds and Caps and then turn around and get smoked by the Canes. Luckily Boston and Florida both lost last night too. The last Wild Card spot could come down to the Flyers vs the Bruins next Saturday.

Originally posted by gldendog:
Flyers doing just enough to cement their place in no man's land. If they had any real illusions of getting in the playoffs they needed to not blow a couple of these games recently. 1 pt aint good enough when you have dug that big a hole for yourself.
This observation continues to hold true over a week later.

The Flyers are the definition of mediocrity.

if the Devils win tonight, they are somehow 6 points out and play Boston on Friday.

that tells you how bad the East is this year. the Devils have been absolute DOGCRAP this season. Cory Schneider should win the MVP if they somehow make the playoffs.

Originally posted by bmoneynova:
if the Devils win tonight, they are somehow 6 points out and play Boston on Friday.

that tells you how bad the East is this year. the Devils have been absolute DOGCRAP this season. Cory Schneider should win the MVP if they somehow make the playoffs.
It's crazy. Both teams started out so poorly but have been playing very well of late. What's the deal with Jagr? Lot of stories about his unhappiness of late. He is still amazing - one of the best athletes of all time. To still be playing at this level (obviously not the player he once was) at 43 is awesome.

Goofy sport. Canes playing for virtually nothing come out completely loose and beat Flyers easily.

I am enjoying watching Kevin Hayes grow into a legitimate NHL player here. Very good article in today's Pittsburgh Tribune on what is up with Crosby. Rob Rossi is very good. Rangers 7-1-2 since Lunqvist. Have some depth issues on both sides of the puck but a pretty good team all in all. Match up pretty well in the east with just about anyone. Montreal I think is the team that might give them a big problem - their team speed is solid. Not sure NYR are physical enough to get there though.

Jagr's icetime has been cut down since Deboer got fired which is why he A) isn't producing as much and B) has been vocal.

I would hope that he gets traded Monday regardless of what happens with NJ these next few games

I'll take Jagr for a playoff run. Instantly makes Giroux better on PP.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT