ADVERTISEMENT

NHL

Jagr traded to Florida for their 2015 2nd and 2016 3rd.

great return. pretty happy about that.

Another terrible loss for the Flyers. They just can't beat these bad teams. Tough stretch coming up vs Rangers, Flames, Blues, and @ Bruins.

Originally posted by NovaHoops2002:
Another terrible loss for the Flyers. They just can't beat these bad teams. Tough stretch coming up vs Rangers, Flames, Blues, and @ Bruins.
Irony of Rangers is that since Lundqvuist went down they are something like 8-1-2, and yet they have played some of the worst hockey I have seen them play in the last 4 years. Defensively just terrible. Pulling a lot of these games out of their ass.

Originally posted by bmoneynova:
Rangers got Yandle but gave up a good bit to do so
It's what happens when you miss on Boyle signing. Will now be 4 straight without a first rounder, yet that blow is really lessened by signing Kevin Hayes, who looks really good. John Moore is not a loss, the second rounder was the extra acquired from TB last year - and Duclair - who I really liked and think is going to be a good player. I thought he actually might be not touchable, because Vignault and Jeff Gorton have been about speed, speed speed for a while now, and Duclair is a vapor out there. Looked very good in this year's world juniors too. The first rounder was looking to be around 26-28 range - where the probability of snagging a elite prospect is not all that high.

However, Yandle is a ligitimately good player. Their PP should get a noticeable bump here, and he's capable of playing sound D. I think you will see him take less chances than he's known for on this team - because he wont have to. There is a price to be paid for guys like them. They got no discount, but not sure they overpaid either.

Also, it's a good sign if you thought there might be concern about Lundqvist. They don't make this deal unless they know for sure he's coming back.

This post was edited on 3/1 6:08 PM by Ninetynine5.0

Flyers trade Coburn over night for an injured D-man (who I know nothing about), and a 1st and 3rd. Sounds like a good return for someone like Coburn. Tampa takes all of his 4.5 mil for next year, too. That had to be a plus.

Flyers did well on that trade. very well. Coburn is nothing special.

see Burrs, Flyers praise!

Appreciate to hear thoughts on status of the Pens? Seems they haven't been playing great but I haven't followed closely.

Flyers did well on that trade. very well. Coburn is nothing special.

see Burrs, Flyers praise!
Cool. You're now up to 8.8% in declaring a Flyers' transaction favorable :)

@IgorEronko: Slava Voynov's agent told @galkevich32 Voynov's traded to #Flyers #LAKings

FYI- arrested for domestic violence earlier in the year and hasn't played since.

Doubt the Flyers could have done much better for Coburn. He might be ok in TB no longer seeing teams' better lines, but he's not that good. With most of the prospects being defensemen, he could not get more expendable. Almost the same price as Yandle. (and PHO took on half his money)

How incredibly refreshing to have a GM who knows what the hell he is doing. Two exceptional trades by Hextall over the last few days. He got rid of a good deal of money and an excellent return. Getting a second rounder for a 37 year old player who has not played a game this season and retiring at the end of the season is remarkable. The Coburn return is even belter.

If this was Homer, he would have done everything to buy at the deadline for the slim hope of making a playoff.

Hextall actually has a plan and is staying with it. Out with the old and in with the young especially on the back end. If they can shed some more salary today, they may actually have some money for a free agent in the summer.

Originally posted by matty17:

How incredibly refreshing to have a GM who knows what the hell he is doing. Two exceptional trades by Hextall over the last few days. He got rid of a good deal of money and an excellent return. Getting a second rounder for a 37 year old player who has not played a game this season and retiring at the end of the season is remarkable. The Coburn return is even belter.

If this was Homer, he would have done everything to buy at the deadline for the slim hope of making a playoff.

Hextall actually has a plan and is staying with it. Out with the old and in with the young especially on the back end. If they can shed some more salary today, they may actually have some money for a free agent in the summer.
FYI this free agent class is AWFUL. you don't really wanna be giving out longterm deals to most of these guys.

but I get your point.

This post was edited on 3/2 9:16 AM by bmoneynova

Second that sentiment. knock on wood but it doesn't seem that Hextall is going to let the organization get screwed as it has in the past.

Originally posted by matty17:

FYI this free agent class is AWFUL. you don't really wanna be giving out longterm deals to most of these guys.

but I get your point.gThis post was edited on 3/2 9:16 AM by bmoneynova
I agree about the FA class. Just glad to have some type of true direction and get rid of some of the awful money that was given out during Homer's term. I would suspect Hextall to stay with the plan and bring up a few of the young defensemen to replace the traded ones and stay as young overall as possible. It is gong to take time and Hextall knows it.

I just got so tired of a GM buying at the worst times believing that those players would somehow get them over the top when most of us knew different.

I am certain Hexy would give anything to be able to deal Schenn and Grossman today but the chances will be slim for a variety of reasons. A few steps at a time I guess

The Flyers are in a tough spot here moving forward. They are basically bereft of forward prospects. They are out of the top 3 prospects for 2015, and not a lot of good free agents coming up. Their hope is that a couple of these D prospects hit, which would be essential. Their forwards are solid but a bit top heavy. Goal tending is just ok, maybe even a bit below average.

Coburn's time in Philly will be remembered by untapped potential. I always thought he would turn into a better player but he just didn't seem to have it upstairs. He is an excellent skater and has a long reach but just had way too many turnovers and lapses on defense.

I'd love for the Flyers to make the playoffs, but they are not a Cup contender. Like others have said, it's nice to see a GM make moves without just the short term in mind.

Btw - big win for the Flyers over the Rangers on Saturday. Michael Del Zotto has been a great addition and I hope the Flyers re-sign him.

I always felt that if Pronger had played longer his influence on Coburn would have helped to make him a better player. Oh well.

Watched 30 for 30 "Big Shot" over the weekend - about John Spano trying to buy the Islanders in the late 90s. Amazing how far he got with relatively little money to buy the team.

Originally posted by TheDean:
Watched 30 for 30 "Big Shot" over the weekend - about John Spano trying to buy the Islanders in the late 90s. Amazing how far he got with relatively little money to buy the team.
To this day I am surprised Bettman survived that. Utter failure on his part specifically.

Originally posted by LizReed:

bmoney--talk to me about Zidlicky.
hes strictly an offensive-minded DMan...put up 40 points last year on a bad offensive team, struggling a bit this year. he can PP a QB and still is a decent skater but he turns the puck over a LOT and takes a lot of silly penalties.

I am pretty bummed the best we could get was a 3rd round pick NEXT year for him.

Dmill---ECF preview tonight?
That would be a great series. We get the full bear tonight with Zetterberg back. Should be a fun game. Hoping for a lot of up and down - these teams can fly.

I am thinking about the 8 teams in the East that are probably going to make the playoffs - NYR, NYI, DET, WAS, PIT, TB, MON, and Boston.

Speed, speed, speed. Only Boston plays it more straight up. Everyone else, puck possession and attack with speed at both ends. Islanders will hit you, but for the most part they are a skill team. Kid I like on NYI is Anders Lee. A beast in front of the net.

Wings at the Joe after a loooong, brutal stretch of games....MTL, CHI, ANA, SJ, LA, NASH amongst their last 8. Haven't played at home since mid-February. Yandle's on the 3rd pairing, right? Loaded....

Wings at the Joe after a loooong, brutal stretch of games....MTL, CHI, ANA, SJ, LA, NASH amongst their last 8. Haven't played at home since mid-February. Yandle's on the 3rd pairing, right? Loaded....
Rangers about to run one themselves - @DET, @CHI @ NYI @WASH - all teams that do not lose at home that often. Both these team are prety solidly in the post season, so it's not really make or break, but it's a great test nonetheless. Very interested to see how they match up here even without Lundqvuist.

Bit of a wonky ending to an otherwise very entertaining game. Penalty was a bit weak but whatever. Would be great to see 6 or 7 games of that match up. Tellin ya - the east is going to produce some great series. Coin flips.

Entertaining game, but a bit sloppy. Lots of turnovers. I thought the officiating was really poor. The three goals were all ugly, too.

Entertaining game, but a bit sloppy. Lots of turnovers. I thought the officiating was really poor. The three goals were all ugly, too.
These two teams are on the puck very quickly - and that leads to some break downs. Two pretty similar teams going at it - Howard was really good. Made some great saves. If I had a kid I was trying to teach this game too - I would try and find films that isolate Datsyuk and Zetterberg and show him that. If you don't like watching those two, you probably do not like hockey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT