ADVERTISEMENT

Oakmont

Anyone watching the internet live streams today? I have no idea who these announcers are, but they can barely speak english. One of the guys on the Day/Scott group keeps stuttering and then just stopping mid-sentence. He sounds like the "boom goes the dynamite" kid.

Announcing the slow-mo replay of an Oosthuizen chip: "Watch as he takes the club [back]. . . and . . . and . . . just a beautiful strike here. [awkward silence during remainder of replay]"

Day just hits one super thin out of a bunker, flies it over the green, and it plugs in the bunker on the other side. Announcer: ". . .[pause] Ugh [pause] . . .I don't think he realizes it yet "

Day just hits one super thin out of a bunker, flies it over the green, and it plugs in the bunker on the other side. Announcer: ". . .[pause] Ugh [pause] . . .I don't think he realizes it yet "
Then he chunks it and leaves it in the same bunker. Announcer: "gotta try not to do that"

DJ one off the lead
Sergio -2
Stenson -2
Bubba -1

McIlroy +7
Fowler, Donald, Day +6, ouch. Big chance for a nobody to win this year.

I'm happy for DJ, and that's coming from someone who's been pretty anti-DJ over the last few years. It really seemed like the USGA was out to screw him this time.

Now on to Troon, I guess.

USGA f'd up. There has to be a limitation on a ruling, particularly when you have a rules official make a call on the course. 7 holes, which amounts to over an hour, for these ass clowns to review the tape and they still can only say he may incur a penalty. Just a joke.

USGA was just praying he won by more than 1 so it would be a non issue. its either a penalty at the time or its not. you should not be allowed to hit another shot until its resolved, its not fair to the player and his opponents.

what if DJ is up 1 on 18, and the second place guy is on 18 and has no idea DJ is going to be assessed a penalty and the guy goes for broke to make birdie and makes bogey when par ties. USGA is lucky DJ won easily.

They did notify all groups of the possibility but the point is still valid. Its not fair for players to play for something that may not be there.

It was a penalty. He addressed the ball and it moved but I think most could have lived with the explanation that the rules official felt Dustin didn't do anything to move the ball, therefore a penalty wasn't assessed at that time.

its a dumb rule. its why the R&A keeps the greens speed slower at the Open. with the weather they cant have fast greens cause the balls would roll all day when the winds blow. the USGA makes the greens too fast. balls are gonna move. if DJ just putted it no one would have saw it move. his reaction is what brought it to attention.

Anyway, Im glad he won. seems like a good guy and he is too good not to have a major at this point. hope he wins a few more. id be shocked if he doesnt win at Augusta in his career. he hits it so far and chips well enough to dominate that course.

its a dumb rule. its why the R&A keeps the greens speed slower at the Open. with the weather they cant have fast greens cause the balls would roll all day when the winds blow. the USGA makes the greens too fast. balls are gonna move. if DJ just putted it no one would have saw it move. his reaction is what brought it to attention.

Anyway, Im glad he won. seems like a good guy and he is too good not to have a major at this point. hope he wins a few more. id be shocked if he doesnt win at Augusta in his career. he hits it so far and chips well enough to dominate that course.
Dustin Johnson is not a "good guy" by any stretch. Banging other players' wives, heavy drug use, etc.

Agreed here. Definitely the opposite of a good guy. But he has played well enough to win a major and deserves it. Therefore I was rooting for him.

It will be interesting to see if this gives DJ a confidence boost to be consistent enough to be in the day/rory/speith conversation.

Or maybe he just will go on a bender

banging other peoples wives? i never heard that. im ok with his drug use. he basically admitted it, got treatment. how does that make him a bad guy? people have demons. admitting them and getting help doesnt make you a bad person.

Definitely liked the shot-tracer technology for every tee shot. And also liked the split screen with the plan view on the right side of screen. Hope that becomes like the first down line on a football tv broadcast. It should become the norm for every week.

banging other peoples wives? i never heard that. im ok with his drug use. he basically admitted it, got treatment. how does that make him a bad guy? people have demons. admitting them and getting help doesnt make you a bad person.

Yes, banging other players wives. He's far from the top of the list of PGA tour "good guys".

He's fun to watch bomb it a mile, but no, I don't think anyone who actually knows what has gotten out would root for him based on his character.

Ricky fowler, Rory, and Spieth all tweeted 100%support for DJ within minutes of the USGA announcing it was still considering a penalty. If his peers didn't like him (at least somewhat), maybe he doesn't get as much support?

They did notify all groups of the possibility but the point is still valid. Its not fair for players to play for something that may not be there.

It was a penalty. He addressed the ball and it moved but I think most could have lived with the explanation that the rules official felt Dustin didn't do anything to move the ball, therefore a penalty wasn't assessed at that time.
It wasn't a penalty per the rules as has been widely confirmed. Absolutely ridiculous.

Reactions: ericw
Ricky fowler, Rory, and Spieth all tweeted 100%support for DJ within minutes of the USGA announcing it was still considering a penalty. If his peers didn't like him (at least somewhat), maybe he doesn't get as much support?

Not likely. It's not like it was some divisive issue that wasn't clear. The USGA screwed up royally and they were livid. I bet every pro in the event felt the same way, regardless of the off the course history with Johnson.

Besides, a guy can be a bad person and still have friends. I have no problem with people rooting for him, but to characterize him as a "good guy" is probably wrong in my opinion.

This is a golf thing where the premise of the rules of golf is a code of honor. That code goes both ways. The players must accept the rules and the governing body must accept the players word. In this specific case for the USGA to go back where DJ did not ground his club and per his conversation with the official did not call himself on doing anything to move the ball, the entire honor of the sport is attacked. That's why the players reacted. It has little to do with DJ and all about the code of golf. Note, I'm not making any statement on whether he's a "good guy" or his peers like him. Regardless of what you might think of him, he's dealth with the situation at Whistling Straights, last year's meltdown on 18 and this with a lot more class than many would expect given his press clippings. I give him credit and I'm glad he won. Yesterday was deplorable. You either honor the game and take him at his word or you don't. If not, change the rules and scrap the game of honor thing.The way it was handled was ridiculous and basically says DJ is a liar and the USGA doesn't accept his word. Which in golf is like calling someone's mother a huwar.

I only saw it on my phone but it didn't look like he grounded the putter behind the ball, not sure you could say he addressed it.

DJ's approach shot on 18 was one of the most badass/clutch things I've ever seen. "Bang-esque". He had to step away when a phone went off right when he was about to start his swing then stepped up and hit it to gimme range.

Doesn't matter. If he is deemed to have caused it to move, it is a penalty under the new rule.

thats fine, if its the rule its the rule. assess him the penalty and move on. my problem was with the not knowing. rules are one thing. enforcing the rules in the toughest moments are another. it was a wrong to keep him and the field in limbo.

thats fine, if its the rule its the rule. assess him the penalty and move on. my problem was with the not knowing. rules are one thing. enforcing the rules in the toughest moments are another. it was a wrong to keep him and the field in limbo.
Yes. They should have decided on the spot, or, at the very least, within a hole or so.

DJ's approach shot on 18 was one of the most badass/clutch things I've ever seen. "Bang-esque". He had to step away when a phone went off right when he was about to start his swing then stepped up and hit it to gimme range.
I laughed out loud when he backed away from the ball and said "seriously?" right into the camera, and then you could hear the camera guy say "that wasn't us" right back to him. Then he stepped up and smoked a baby-fade 4 iron to within 12 feet.

My point is, unless he used The Force, there's no way for him to cause the ball to move if he didn't touch the ball or the ground.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT