ADVERTISEMENT

ODB

For a Giants fan, I'm fairly agnostic on Eli and the Hall of Fame, but he's going to get in because of the two Super Bowl MVPs and the fact that he's going to be so high up in the career counting stats to keep out. With the exception of three active players who are surefire Hall of Famers, all of the players who have more career touchdown passes than Eli are in the Hall of Fame and he's probably going to pass two of them in the next two games. It would be pretty difficult to justify keeping a player with more career touchdown passes than John Elway and Johnny Unitas out of the Hall of Fame.

How is Eli NOT a HoFer? He reinvented the role of modern NFL QB. A gunslinger if I ever saw one. Unafraid to lead the league in turnovers in his prime or throw a jump ball over the middle with the title on the line. He's a dorky, glorious, uncharismatic trophy machine.

You cannot compare TD and yardage records for any QB before 2000. The league has changed into a passing league. Matt Stafford will end up in the top 10 of alot of passing records because of how the league plays now. Drew Brees has had 4 5,000 yard seasons. Before 2008 only Dan Marino had a 5,000 yard passing season and before 1999 Marino was the only Qb to throw 40+ Tds in a season.

I threw out QB rating as an easy way to measure him against the rest of the league. It can be called it bogus but its a measurement to compare QB's, if you are good you at towards the top if you're not your Eli Manning. Eli has never lead the league in TDs for a single season but has lead the league 3 times in INTs. He's never lead the league in any major category for a Qb. He's never been all-pro, he's never been 1st team anything in the NFL. He has 2 super bowl wins. He's basically Phil Sims part 2.

You can't take away from his super bowls but without them he's an average QB.

Safe to say the game has changed since Unitas and even Elway played
I agree, which is why I said I'm pretty agnostic about his hall of fame chances, but sportswriters are stupid, so if he finishes his career above Rivers and Roethlisberger (he's currently ahead of both in just about every category) and the aforementioned Hall of Famers, he's going to get in.

JStew out this week.
ce12ee5f258a109eb4e8868c5fd067ea.jpg

Reactions: Chimpat
I agree, which is why I said I'm pretty agnostic about his hall of fame chances, but sportswriters are stupid, so if he finishes his career above Rivers and Roethlisberger (he's currently ahead of both in just about every category) and the aforementioned Hall of Famers, he's going to get in.
In what universe is Eli better than big ben? Crazy talk. He's a compiler and I don't think he's a HOFer. Comparing him to Namath and unites is silly? Different eras.

Reactions: Greg Woodward
In what universe is Eli better than big ben? Crazy talk. He's a compiler and I don't think he's a HOFer. Comparing him to Namath and unites is silly? Different eras.

It is intellectually dishonest to say that Eli has put up better numbers than big ben. Eli has about 800 more attempts in 20 more games. That allows eli to have 20 more touchdowns and just 1,300 more yards. Ben has a better YPA, fewer interceptions, better completion rate, and better interception rate.

Phil got a ring for the game, never said he won it. I always can appreciate a pic of the Hos down at the old Sombrero.

BB has made the playoffs 7 times and has played in 3 super bowls, winning 2. He lead the league in passing yards last season and his winning percentage is .668. Eli's is barely above .500. Eli is mediocre. He doesn't hold up against most HOF measurable except for his super bowls.

It is intellectually dishonest to say that Eli has put up better numbers than big ben. Eli has about 800 more attempts in 20 more games. That allows eli to have 20 more touchdowns and just 1,300 more yards. Ben has a better YPA, fewer interceptions, better completion rate, and better interception rate.
And he's a much better player. Not close. Crazy talk coming from foye.

When did I ever say that Eli is better than either Roethlisberger? I just said that he had bigger counting stats, because it's true.

Also, he's much better than Namath. He's also better than Bradshaw.

Comparing eras as the QB position is silly. He's not in the same league as ben. If he gets in, it will be because he's a compiler who won two super bowls. At no point was he among the best at the position.

Reactions: Greg Woodward
Josh Norman has allowed 89 COMBINED yards to DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, T.Y. Hilton, Dez B & Julio Jones this season. Jesus.

Reactions: Chimpat
Eli is a true pro. In terms of being a team first player who plays every game and stays our of trouble there is no comparison with Ben. Eli has played behind one of the worst offensive lines in NFL history for the past three seasons. The guy never complains plays hurt and continues to put up big numbers. Ben is good for 9 games a year, a little illegal fun in the bathroom and a motorcycle accident.

As a non-biased Eagles fan, if I am picking between the 2 Qb's, it's Ben and the choice is an easy one. In fact, I have a laminated wallet card saying the same thing.

Eli is a true pro. In terms of being a team first player who plays every game and stays our of trouble there is no comparison with Ben. Eli has played behind one of the worst offensive lines in NFL history for the past three seasons. The guy never complains plays hurt and continues to put up big numbers. Ben is good for 9 games a year, a little illegal fun in the bathroom and a motorcycle accident.
Piper, cmon.the steelers oline was also awful for a long time. This isn't close. Eli is a good player and I like him. However, he's not in the same league, not even close. Today, Ben is playing as well as anyone in the game. He's that good. You must not see him much.

When ben is on the field I think ben is better too although in those two playoff runs Eli was amazing. The difference is Eli is a gamer he just doesnt miss games.

Bens had his share of runs and titles as well. Eli is a good player but he's never been great or among the elite in his field. Given the way the game has evolved, the numbers are completely skewed. There is no way he's a hall of fame player, not close. However, he's played on winning teams and been durable so has numbers, all while playing in the CODB with the last name Manning. Will be interesting to see if he gets in. I'm of a view you have to be the best or at least among the top few at your position to be considered, that's not eli. Right now, is Eli among event the top 8 qbs in the game (32 teams so top quarter), no. That sums up eli.

Don't know if either one is HoF at the moment. Rapelisberger would be much closer than Eli, though.

Eli Manning - Yards 3655- TD 28- Int 10

Big Ben - Yards 2989- TD 15- Int 10

Couldn't believe it myself with all this Eli talk. Eli is having a great year. The Giants have no defense they have blown 5 fourth quarter leads which is a record. Posters saying Ben is having this great year and he has 15 and 10 compared to Eli's 28 and 10 come on.

Last edited:

Eli Manning - Yards 3655- TD 28- Int 10

Big Ben - Yards 2989- TD 15- Int 10

Couldn't believe it myself with all this Eli talk. Eli is having a great year. The Giants have no defense they have blown 5 fourth quarter leads which is a record. Posters saying Ben is having this great year and he has 15 and 10 compared to Eli's 28 and 10 come on.

Roethlisberger has missed 4 games. Add about 1300-1400 yards and 11-12 TDs to his totals.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...eason-quarterback-of-all-time-is-eli-manning/

just saying. We can certainly make up stats for missed games and assume no interceptions but its just that made up when you dont play. Eli plays even when hurt, never complains the guy is a gamer. People just dont like him because of his happy go lucky attitude. He is a total stud has no offensive line, no running back, the worst running game in the league and still puts up huge numbers

By the way Pittsburg is 9th in rushing The NYG 29th. Ben try playing with no running back and no offensive line with one offensive weapon

Can you make up 195 career INTs and 23 fumbles? He doesn't value the football. Good QB, not great.

I like Eli he's just not in the same universe as Big Ben when it comes to playing football. He's never been a top 5 QB in the game. How can a guy who's never been even among the best be a HoFer? Because he compiles stats. Regardless, I've always been an Eli fan just don't think he's a great.

Last edited:
How is Eli NOT a HoFer? He reinvented the role of modern NFL QB. A gunslinger if I ever saw one. Unafraid to lead the league in turnovers in his prime or throw a jump ball over the middle with the title on the line. He's a dorky, glorious, uncharismatic trophy machine.

You're describing Brett Favre with a lot of that post, with on fewer title in many more years -- my favorite ridiculous pass he threw was the one he tossed to two Eagles with none of his guys within 30 yards in OT of the 4th and 26 game.

Biggest thing Eli lacks to me is consistency (along with too many picks at times), but the fact that he got it done on the way to two titles mitigates that a bit. A couple years ago I would've had said decidedly not HOF at that time. However, in today's league he also deserves credit for his incredible durability -- seems like he never misses a game. In that respect, I'm not going to discount the ridiculous numbers he's put up. Let's see how he finishes his career.

Harder to make an argument for a guy like Warner because I don't think he was durable enough, or had a long enough career. He had his revival with the Cards but couldn't stay healthy enough to stay on the field/play well enough with the Giants. Still, I wouldn't be against him getting in.

1. Peyton Manning (39) 71,871 1998-2015

2. Brett Favre 71,838 1991-2010

3. Dan Marino 61,361 1983-1999

4. Drew Brees (36) 59,827 2001-2015

5. Tom Brady (38) 57,396 2000-2015

6. John Elway 51,475 1983-1998

7. Warren Moon 49,325 1984-2000

8. Fran Tarkenton 47,003 1961-1978

9. Vinny Testaverde 46,233 1987-2007

10. Drew Bledsoe 44,611 1993-2006

11. Eli Manning (34) 43,410 2004-2015

12. Dan Fouts 43,040 1973-1987