ADVERTISEMENT

OJ: Made in America

RSTRICK30

VUSports.com Legend
Jul 11, 2001
Anyone watching? Compelling television.

Man, what a strange (and awful) dude.

During the murder trial I was a lot younger and really didn't give those 911 call recordings from Nicole enough credence. The documentary couples the calls with some diary entries and her situation seems a lot more desperate and severe now - he would hit her during sex, he "beat me for hours," he spied on her having sex with a new boyfriend, etc.

Also in one of the interviews a man says something like: "O.J. was as jealous a person as he was talented at football."

If he couldn't have or "own" Nicole, no one else was going to - what a f*cking piece of garbage!! He was cheating on her non-stop.

The irony is that he never viewed himself as "black". He was OJ. He wanted no parts of being black or being part of the black community. Yet, during the trial he pretty much used the black community + an insane legal team to win his freedom. While the black community used OJ's case to get back at 50 years of injustices/corruption within LA law enforcement and legal system. It was a perfect storm.

His comment to the cops during the arrest after looking at the gathered crowd of onlookers made me literally laugh out loud

Reactions: Chimpat
he spied on her having sex with a new boyfriend, etc.

i knew he'd beaten her for her years and was a total POS but jesus that was shocking

guy had been a national celebrity for three decades and he's hiding in the bushes watching his ex--and then he confronts her, as if she was out of line

The irony is that he never viewed himself as "black". He was OJ. He wanted no parts of being black or being part of the black community. Yet, during the trial he pretty much used the black community + an insane legal team to win his freedom. While the black community used OJ's case to get back at 50 years of injustices/corruption within LA law enforcement and legal system. It was a perfect storm.
Burrs, I'm definitely not looking for an argument but isn't saying LA law enforcement and legal system was 50 years of injustices/corruption a bit much? You say that as if it's an absolute fact. What do you base it on?

I haven't seen the series, so I can't account for much.
The only thing I know for certain is that TJC and Burrs both know absolutely zero about the LA judicial/police system then, or now.

Anddd 20 yrs later, even with emotions having calmed down from Rodney King and Latasha Harlings, only 57% of AA's think he's guilty in latest polling. That's...incredible. Incredibly sad.

Reactions: cleanwave
I haven't seen the series, so I can't account for much.
The only thing I know for certain is that TJC and Burrs both know absolutely zero about the LA judicial/police system then, or now.

Yea, not an expert. Never said that I was. However, it's not hard understand LA was the poster boy of police brutality (Outside of the South in the 50's & 60's) towards blacks for decades before the OJ trial.

Burrs, I'm definitely not looking for an argument but isn't saying LA law enforcement and legal system was 50 years of injustices/corruption a bit much? You say that as if it's an absolute fact. What do you base it on?

So, is the years you dispute of that it ever happened? If it's the years then there is no need to squabble. You get the point.

That trial was never about OJ. Or Nicole. Or evidence. Or anything pertinent to the actual case. It was about something much larger.

Some of you assholes are too quick to judge based on one propaganda piece. There is obviously another side to the story. One that led to a johnny walking that man out of judge ito's courtroom 25 yrs ago.

Anyway, what is mark Furman up to these days? Wouldn't surprise me if he was a "talent" on some fox news show with newt Gingrich, pat buchanan, and some Trumo supporters

Reactions: NickleDimer
The most amusing comment in the documentary was the one prosecutor saying they realized right away this jury was basically too stupid to comprehend or understand the evidence being presented. Especially the DNA stuff. It was like hieroglyphics. In truth the trial was decided way before it began. Moving it out of Santa Monica and into the heart of LA. Making it a 6 month-long detention for the jurors which basically ruled out 90% of the ones with jobs worth a damn, or any job at all. It was essentially over even before 8 black jurors were selected. And the nail was inserted into the coffin the day they were.

Was shocked the defense was allowed to go to the juice's house and replace all the OJ with his white friends pictures with OJ with his black "friends" pictures. Would think that wouldn't have been allowed.

Reactions: NickleDimer
I thought Part 1 was boring but 2 and 3 were good.

A couple interesting things I learned:

1. Sounds like both Brown and Goldstein were already dead before he sliced their throats.

2. I didn't realize how tense the situation was in the driveway at the conclusion of the Bronco chase. The LAPD detective admitted that if OJ had gotten out of the Bronco with the gun in his hand, they would have lit him up.

3. Is it me - or does AC Cowlings seem like a cool guy?

4. When the LAPD called him in Chicago to tell him his wife was dead, he never asked how she died. That's kind of a red flag.

I wish there had been more about Marcus Allen / Nicole. That fling must have really chapped O.J.'s ass, maybe not as much as white guys banging her though.

Loved in episode three when you hear Al Michaels say something along the lines of, "There was nothing in his (OJ's) history, that would have made you predict this (the murder) could happen."

You know...other than all the beatings....

Reactions: Burrs5

Yeah but other than the one in '89 when it made a blurb in the paper were any of them made public before the trial? In Part 2 the cops kept saying that the incidents were all swept under the rug and the cops themselves were often too star-struck to take Nicole's side...

ya, that one cop said that he knew of 8 different incidents before a police report was even filed I believe

Loved in episode three when you hear Al Michaels say something along the lines of, "There was nothing in his (OJ's) history, that would have made you predict this (the murder) could happen."

If Al Michaels is being interviewed for this documentary, it should be because of his involvment with the Peter Jennings Baba Booey call.

Al Michaels was friends with O.J. and everyone in his circle - he tells a bit about that in his autobiography.

Back to the 911 calls:

"On New Year’s Eve in 1989, she [Nicole] called police when O.J. assaulted her; according to the officer who responded to the scene and the subsequent report he filed, she specifically stated that she believed he was going to kill her and asked police to arrest him for spousal abuse. Simpson walked away from the incident with his public image only marginally tarnished and a sentence of community service, which he completed by planning and playing in a celebrity golf tournament. Brown also downplayed the incident."

Even as an insider I think Michaels was in the dark. Michaels probably played in that "community service" golf tournament (ha!) and O.J. would have smoothed things over with his side of the story at the 19th hole over a couple of cigars.

I think today Nicole might have had more outlets to tell her story and possibly gotten away from O.J. He was so protective of his image; he would have been crucified in the internet age. Also possible that he would have stalked and killed her eventually - no matter where she fled.

It's pretty odd that they were "separated" but she lived just down the street from his house; but kids were involved and of course, a lot of $$$.

The LAPD always covers up for its own

image.jpg

Reactions: TheFoyeEffect
Wasn't there a prank call where the caller said he could see inside the Bronco and OJ was reading Howard Stern's book Private Parts?

Reactions: About2BeBanned
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT