ADVERTISEMENT

OJ: Made in America

agree.

It was about payback.
220px-PaybackPoster.jpg

So wait, this is a separate TV mini-series, apart from the one with Cuba Gooding Jr.? Haven't we heard about OJ enough over the last few months? The trial happened quite some time ago, he's in jail now and never getting out, and I think we can all move on. Are we just looking for reasons to get all hot and bothered on the internet at this point? What about another Stephen Avery Netflix-type thing? When are we getting that?

When you compare O.J. to his peers the only one who seems to come close to approaching his level of celebrity is Jim Brown, even before the Brown/Goldman murders.

All-Time leading NFL rushers (total yards):

Emmitt Smith
Walter Payton
Barry Sanders
Curtis Martin
LaDainian Tomlinson
Jerome Bettis
Eric Dickerson
Tony Dorsett
Jim Brown
Marshall Faulk
Edgerrin James
Marcus Allen
Franco Harris
Thurman Thomas
Frank Gore
Fred Taylor
Adrian Peterson
Steven Jackson
John Riggins
Corey Dillon
O.J. Simpson

So wait, this is a separate TV mini-series, apart from the one with Cuba Gooding Jr.?

Yes but this is a documentary with interviews and actual footage - not acting. It's great because it's not just about O.J. It examines the history of O.J. himself and events in and around L.A. that lead up to O.J. killing his wife and Ron Goldman; and you get a very good perspective on how/why a lot of things occured.

Thanks for posting this as I watched the first 2 episodes last night and now must offer a mea culpa on my posts in the Ali Remembered thread where I was critical of how much of a civil rights activist Cassius Clay was. He apparently was a lot more prominent than I thought and certainly more so than Dick Allen or Reggie Jackson with whom I compared him to. I was wrong on that account...the world's greatest fighter?...still have a hard time with that one, but of course I agree with ADP in that boxing is a silly sport.

So wait, this is a separate TV mini-series, apart from the one with Cuba Gooding Jr.? Haven't we heard about OJ enough over the last few months? The trial happened quite some time ago, he's in jail now and never getting out, and I think we can all move on. Are we just looking for reasons to get all hot and bothered on the internet at this point? What about another Stephen Avery Netflix-type thing? When are we getting that?

He'll be out in a few years most likely.

O.J. has actually already received parole on a few of his sentences and is eligible in 2017 for at least one more of his current ones.

How dumb was Marcia Clark for stocking the jury w women instead of whites?

Not a lawyer but I hope this case is referenced in any jury selection class

I can't believe they just showed those crime scene/death photos of Nicole and Ron

that was ROUGH

losing this case was 100 percent Gil Garcetti's fault.

1. Charges were filed in the downtown LA courthouse, despite the fact that the murder was committed in the jurisdiction of the Santa Monica courthouse. In the case of the former, you were going to get a majority brown/black jury pool with a lot of working class people. With the latter, you were going to get a mostly white, pretty affluent jury pool. Take one guess which one is more likely to acquit.

2. Garcetti refused to seek the death penalty in what was clearly a capital case. An abusive husband who murders his wife and another person in an astoundingly brutal fashion. A death qualified jury would have been more likely to convict than the jury that tried the case. It probably would have also been whiter and more affluent.

Reactions: GaryMassey
losing this case was 100 percent Gil Garcetti's fault.

1. Charges were filed in the downtown LA courthouse, despite the fact that the murder was committed in the jurisdiction of the Santa Monica courthouse. In the case of the former, you were going to get a majority brown/black jury pool with a lot of working class people. With the latter, you were going to get a mostly white, pretty affluent jury pool. Take one guess which one is more likely to acquit.

2. Garcetti refused to seek the death penalty in what was clearly a capital case. An abusive husband who murders his wife and another person in an astoundingly brutal fashion. A death qualified jury would have been more likely to convict than the jury that tried the case. It probably would have also been whiter and more affluent.

The reason the case was tried downtown was because of all the (deserved) backlash from the Rodney King and Harlings verdicts. Had they tried it in Santa Monica with a bunch of white jurors we know what the verdict would've been, and led to - more riots.

How dumb was Marcia Clark for stocking the jury w women instead of whites?

Not a lawyer but I hope this case is referenced in any jury selection class

Seriously. She actually thought black women would feel for the woman getting abused. One problem - the woman was hot and WHITE, married to an ultra-famous black man. Those black jurors weren't gonna give 2 shits about Nicole. Just a colossal clusterF all around.

In our legal system, I don't understand why the defense & prosecution is allowed a say in jury selection at all. It should just be 12 randomly selected people from the zip code of where the crime took place. Why allow either side the opportunity to compromise the jury before the trial begins?

Reactions: NickleDimer
Because there can be conflicts of interest when you randomly select people. Like when I got called into jury box for a civil trial. The defense attorney was my friend's dad. Hence, the judge excused me.

Because there can be conflicts of interest when you randomly select people. Like when I got called into jury box for a civil trial. The defense attorney was my friend's dad. Hence, the judge excused me.

Ok, fine. That's a legitimate conflict of interest. But allowing a defense attorney to just tell the judge "Strike jurors #3 #5 #24 #27 #44 #47......." all because the defense thinks they would be sympathetic to the victim or loyal to law enforcement based on their race, age, or gender is utter nonsense in my opinion.

The Simpson jury should have been 11 whites, 1 black / 6 men, 6 women, all from Brentwood. Trial would have taken 3 days and deliberations about 8 minutes.

Whoever did Marcia Clark's nose job in the 80s ought to have his license revoked. Whoever fixed it ought to make a lot of money.

I think every jurisdiction has their own set of rules for how many jurors can be removed from each side without a conflict of interest. I seem to remember something like each side being limited to 4-6 challenges in the county court system.

The reason that black jurors weren't stricken from the jury is because the Supreme Court said it was illegal to strike black jurors without a race neutral reason in Batson v. Kentucky (1986).

That's why the Santa Monica jury was so necessary. There would have more white jurors as a matter of subtraction.

Also, the Fuhrman tapes should have never been admitted. They were hugely prejudicial and not very probative in terms of the facts of the case.

Also, the Fuhrman tapes should have never been admitted. They were hugely prejudicial and not very probative in terms of the facts of the case.

I think I agree, but I do see it both ways.

The whole case was a Gosnell. Ito should have been thrown off the bench for his performance....Cochrane and Scheck should have been disbarred.

Scheck was even more despicable than Johnny Cock. Quite a feat.

I just marvel at defense attorneys. Yea, they got a job to do, but they knew in their hearts that OJ was guilty. But to them it's just a game. All they care about is winning the game. Meanwhile, two people died who didn't deserve to die, especially in that manner. Just sad.

eyewitness testimony is super accurate and police interrogation techniques never produce false confessions

it's a shame that the central park 5 aren't still locked up

what an utterly contemptible self-important reactionary twit you are

Reactions: tomjackleman
I just marvel at defense attorneys. Yea, they got a job to do, but they knew in their hearts that OJ was guilty. But to them it's just a game. All they care about is winning the game. Meanwhile, two people died who didn't deserve to die, especially in that manner. Just sad.
Such a wildly dumb statement. Regardless of your opinion of OJ and his guilt, this is just the dumbest drunk take you can make.

Such a wildly dumb statement. Regardless of your opinion of OJ and his guilt, this is just the dumbest drunk take you can make.

How so?

One, I wasn't drunk.

Also, maybe it came out wrong. I wasn't referring to all cases. I'm fully aware that people need defense lawyers and there have been plenty of individuals wrongly accused who need a good defense. And when those lawyers get innocent people acquitted then they get the ultimate cap tip. Job well done.

However, in this specific case where everyone knows their client was 500% guilty, then I much rather them not show much reaction and put the celebration/party to the side. Yea, you won. You played the game better. You had 100s of year ls of racial injustices in your corner. I get it. But you also got a murderer off. Show a little respect for the people he butchered.

You said defense attorneys who defend clients that are presumed guilty are scum. It's a dumb, stupid, idiotic take. In your world, there would just be a Twitter poll instead of trials.

You said defense attorneys who defend clients that are presumed guilty are scum. It's a dumb, stupid, idiotic take. In your world, there would just be a Twitter poll instead of trials.

I never used the word scum. You're also inferred Twitter polls over trials. Either keep it accurate or discontinue the discussion, Jackle. Again, some legitimately help people who need it. Cap tip. But when they win cases such as the OJ one, then I'd prefer that they showed a little humility afterwards. Just walk away knowing you set a murderer free. Even the obviously guilty deserve a defense. It's a necessary evil. I'm sorry that offends you.

I never used the word scum. You're also inferred Twitter polls over trials. Either keep it accurate or discontinue the discussion, Jackle. Again, some legitimately help people who need it. Cap tip. But when they win cases such as the OJ one, then I'd prefer that they showed a little humility afterwards. Just walk away knowing you set a murderer free. Even the obviously guilty deserve a defense. It's a necessary evil. I'm sorry that offends you.

That's not what you said. You said defense lawyers who represent publicly presumed guilty clients are an evil in the system. It's a dumb, reactionary take that strikes the heart of our justice system.

That's not what you said. You said defense lawyers who represent publicly presumed guilty clients are an evil in the system. It's a dumb, reactionary take that strikes the heart of our justice system.

That's not at all what I said. Go back and read my original post. You have added many words that weren't said.

Furthermore, after you attacked me I clearly stated that maybe it came out wrong. I tried to clear it up. Aren't I allowed an opportunity to clarify what I meant? It's not my fault you took my meaning out of context.

Again, I understand they have a job to do. And many have helped a great deal people over time. I'd just prefer to do without the celebration afterwards. They didn't just win the Super Bowl, especially in cases like this one when the man was easily guilty of horrific crimes. That's what I meant. Why does it bother you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT