ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ted Cruz for President

kjbert

Post -a-holic
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
Our favorite Candian politician is running for President!

Originally posted by Novacatt94:
I thought you were a Republican.
Yes, and Ted Cruz does more harm to the GOP than just about anyone walking the planet. The biggest downside to this announcement is he'll be able to keep his Senate seat. Too bad he won't resign so we would be done with this guy by the time his presidential campaign blows up. Which shouldn't take too long. I'll be stunned if he makes it to the April primaries.

I am wondering when this circus of far side candidates ramping up to the primaries comes to an end. System is utterly broken, with Iowa and SC serving as key primaries up front. Asking these two states to basically ratify your future candidate is not smart - those are not the states you want to do that. Mostly because they are far wing voters, and the electable center right candidate most likely cannot survive it. Therefore the process produces candidates who can survive it, and they are generally hard to elect in the general. Process should shift to what is a traditionally blue state - or probably a swing somewhere like FLA or OH where someone with common sense has a chance to survive. Whoever then gets the nom has a shot in places like VA and OH and WI. Not like any dem is going to win the solids reds anyway - but a sensible Republican can flip several blue states rather easily.

I happen to think Hilary is pretty easily beatable. She's an old tired name. But she won't lose if she appears like the more sane of the two. Also, might be a good time for the GoP to stop pushing for high income tax cuts. We assume that once in power they will do this anyway, and again the high wealth people will vote this way anyway. Good time to start addressing people who did not vote for you last time.

I sat in on a talk by Austan Goolsbee a few months ago (University of Chicago economist who served on Obama's counsel of economic advisors - very prominent guy, apparently) and he and Ted Cruz were rivals in college for best debater of the year or something like that . . .

On a side note, I always thought you had to be born on US soil to be US President? Wasn't he born in Canada or am I off the mark that you need to be born on US soil?

Iowa is pretty much irrelevant. Name the last time the GOP candidate who won Iowa does on to win the nomination? Cruz or Ron Paul will win Iowa. South Carolina not a huge one either but carries more weight because it means the real campaign is underway after Iowa and NH are finished.

McCain was not born on American soil. If memory serves you need to be born a US citizen. Cruz's father is Canadian but he was born in this country and thus a US citizen.

Cruz was born in Canada to a Cuban father and American mother. He had dual citizenship until renounced Canadian in 2013.

Article II, Section 1 of the U.S. Constitution states, "No Person except a natural born Citizen...shall be eligible to the Office of President."

Originally posted by Hardy:

Article II, Section 1 of the U.S. Constitution states, "No Person except a natural born Citizen...shall be eligible to the Office of President."
Maybe that's why I majored in engineering and not history. I remembered it as being born in the US, not natural born citizen. I guess with a mother as a US citizen he would be considered a natural born citizen.

However, why, then, was Donald Trump (and others) all up in arms over Obama's claim to the Presidency? Suggesting he wasn't born in Hawaii, but somewhere else... Maybe that is why I was confused

Originally posted by adp98:
McCain was not born on American soil. If memory serves you need to be born a US citizen. Cruz's father is Canadian but he was born in this country and thus a US citizen.
Are not military bases considered US soil? I dont know the answer to this but I remember that from somwhere...

I don't know. However, I know you have to born a citizen. That's the key element. If you are born overseas it doesn't matter.

I don't know. However, I know you have to born a citizen. That's the key element. If you are born overseas it doesn't matter.
Correct. That's why it was pretty funny that people made a big deal about Obama allegedly being born in Kenya, because he would have had American citizenship regardless by virtue of his American mother.

One of your parents has to be a citizen and Cruz's mother was a citizen. On Cruz himself, I had pretty much written him off as a person I could vote for to be President. I watched his speech yesterday. It was a truly remarkable speech for both content and delivery. While I will still probably not vote for him, his speech has provided motivation for me to pay a lot more attention to him. He's definitely not a right wing loon as he's been portrayed.

No doubt Cruz is a clown, but he is representing the people who vote for him.

What does Frank Underwood always say - "Vote your district, vote you conscience."

cruz-palin-for-prez-2016.jpg

I wish Palin would jump into this for at least a little while. She won't - she's like the new Trump in that taking about running is better than actually running. If you actually run, you can lose - so no need for that - better just to say how much you would win by if you did run. But we could use a few months of Palin out there giving speeches. Would be fun.

Anyone have a prediction for the actual GoP nom? My only prediction is Hilary won't win.

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:
I wish Palin would jump into this for at least a little while. She won't - she's like the new Trump in that taking about running is better than actually running. If you actually run, you can lose - so no need for that - better just to say how much you would win by if you did run. But we could use a few months of Palin out there giving speeches. Would be fun.

Anyone have a prediction for the actual GoP nom? My only prediction is Hilary won't win.
Jeb Bush.

Agreed, she's a fool to run in the first place and I am sure that a significant number of dems in swing states would not vote for her.

Originally posted by tjc3844:
One of your parents has to be a citizen and Cruz's mother was a citizen. On Cruz himself, I had pretty much written him off as a person I could vote for to be President. I watched his speech yesterday. It was a truly remarkable speech for both content and delivery. While I will still probably not vote for him, his speech has provided motivation for me to pay a lot more attention to him. He's definitely not a right wing loon as he's been portrayed.
Specifically what about his speech led you to the conclusion he's not a right-wing loon? Curious as how you arrived at this conclusion from that speech? From my read, he came out and announced, "hey, i'm the guy running as the right-wing loon". That was the point I took from his speech.

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:

Guy I really like and believe will emerge to go head-to-head with Bush is Scott Walker. He's the perfect foil as he's the guy with no college degree or fancy upbringing. He's from the Midwest and is fantastic on the stump. He's also got a record of governing a blue state with success. Very appealing on many levels. If I were to pick a horse today he's my guy. Note, I'm not suggesting he'll beat Bush but he's got a shot.

The fact that Cruz announced that he's running at "I blame 9/11 on the gays" university means that he's a wingnut.

Walker is just another guy who runs deficits. He's a union-buster, though. People like that.

States are legally required to balance their budgets (unlike the mess we have in DC), can you shed some light on how he's running deficits if he's legally required to balance his budget?

Clearly there is a fight for the soul of the party. Wondering if this is the election where they actually run the harder right type candidate - for no other reason than to see what future it all has. It's all well and good to be Ted Cruz in Texas - kind of like being some mid level magician in Vegas - you won't have that much of a problem finding an audience. But the election is won or lost in a few states where that play is a risk and not a sure thing. Maybe it's time to find out if it's electable - good time to do so. No incumbent , most likely a pretty played name on the other side . Feels pretty wide open . Also think Scott Walker is going to be heard from here...

"You know, music is interesting. I grew up listening to classic rock and I'll tell you sort of an odd story. My music tastes changed on 9/11. And it's a very strange-I actually, intellectually, find this very curious, but on 9/11, I didn't like how rock music responded. And country music collectively, the way they responded, it resonated with me and I have to say, it-just as a gut level, I had an emotional reaction that says, 'these are my people.' And so ever since 2001 I listen to country music, but I'm an odd country music fan because I didn't listen to it prior to 2001." --TC

-------------

America Needs Ted Cruz

There was an editorial in this weekend's boston globe encouraging Elizabeth Warren to run for president. Yesterday, my colleague and I joked about a potential Warren-Cruz race.

I think I'd move to Ireland

Originally posted by TwoDecks:
There was an editorial in this weekend's boston globe encouraging Elizabeth Warren to run for president. Yesterday, my colleague and I joked about a potential Warren-Cruz race.

I think I'd move to Ireland
I think you should be prepared for it.

Originally posted by RSTRICK30:
"You know, music is interesting. I grew up listening to classic rock and I'll tell you sort of an odd story. My music tastes changed on 9/11. And it's a very strange-I actually, intellectually, find this very curious, but on 9/11, I didn't like how rock music responded. And country music collectively, the way they responded, it resonated with me and I have to say, it-just as a gut level, I had an emotional reaction that says, 'these are my people.' And so ever since 2001 I listen to country music, but I'm an odd country music fan because I didn't listen to it prior to 2001." --TC

-------------

America Needs Ted Cruz
I guess he didn't watch The Concert for New York City.

I think we're all missing the boat here. The Islands, let's all pick up and move to the islands. Between us we could build one school to educate our kids and do so in flip-flops. Cocktails, Bob Marley playing on a loop, 85 degrees and the ocean breeze. We're doing this all wrong.

Adp98, he did a good job of outlining a vision for the future of the country. He held out hope that we can turn the country around and we don't have to accept the downward trend the country is currently experiencing. You know as well that there's a big difference between reading a speech and watching it. His delivery was excellent. As I said before, I think it's unlikely that I would ever vote for him but the speech moved the needle for me from "absolutely would never vote for Cruz" to "I'm going to pay more attention to what he has to say."

He's absolutely an intelligent, smart guy. However, when you announce your Presidential Run from Liberty University you are blaring your freak flag to the entire free world.

States are legally required to balance their budgets (unlike the mess we have in DC), can you shed some light on how he's running deficits if he's legally required to balance his budget?
1) creative accounting
2) borrowing to fund capital expenditures. states are only required to balance operating budgets.
3) unrealistic projections and assumptions, particularly in regard to pensions

Originally posted by NickleDimer:

1) creative accounting
2) borrowing to fund capital expenditures. states are only required to balance operating budgets.
3) unrealistic projections and assumptions, particularly in regard to pensions
So what every Gov has done since the beginning of time?

So what every Gov has done since the beginning of time?
Different states have different appetites for financial tomfoolery. The three items I listed above, balanced budgets then unbalanced spending, moving funds between accounts, calendar games, etc. I can't speak to the specifics of any situation in particular. But all together state governments have over $4 trillion in debt. In light of that, it's hard to argue that balanced budget requirements translates to fiscal restraint.

"Gov. Scott Walker will have to plug a roughly $280 million budget shortfall by the end of June, and the state faces a two-year deficit that could be as large as $2 billion, based on new estimates released Friday by the nonpartisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau"

Maybe these aren't deficits, per se, but this isn't fiscally responsibility.

Originally posted by tjc3844:
Adp98, he did a good job of outlining a vision for the future of the country. He held out hope that we can turn the country around and we don't have to accept the downward trend the country is currently experiencing. You know as well that there's a big difference between reading a speech and watching it. His delivery was excellent. As I said before, I think it's unlikely that I would ever vote for him but the speech moved the needle for me from "absolutely would never vote for Cruz" to "I'm going to pay more attention to what he has to say."
The guy had an undergrad degree from Princeton (where he was the national debate champion his senior year) and a law degree from Harvard. He is a sitting US Senator from the State of Texas. Did you believe his speech would be bad? He is an incredible speaker and from what I have heard an extremely engaging guy when you meet him one-on-one. He is everything you'd want our next president to be - UNTIL YOU READ WHAT HE STANDS FOR.

He may have done a good job of outlining a vision for the future of the country, but it is a vision that I would want no part of (and I say this as someone who hardly leans left)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT