ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies 2016 Season

NovaHoops2002

VUSports.com All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Phillies vs Marlins in a 3 game set. Phils looking to get back on track after a tough series vs the Cards. Phils have been terrible vs lefties, and they will see 2 in this series.

Tonight 7:10pm - Velasquez vs Chen
Saturday 7:10pm - Hellickson vs Koehler
Sunday 1:10pm - Nola vs Nicolino

Phils take 2 of 3 but did not look particularly good in doing so. Matlins gave both games away really. Oh and Stanton hit a 475 bomb. One of the longest you'll see all season.

11 of 18 wins by 1 run.

Yet and still if you told me the Phillies would be leading for a wild card spot thru 32 games I'd have laughed in your f'n face.

I think Stanton's HR actually traveled 490. What a shot. Yelich's earlier in that game was a missle, too.

11 of 18 wins by 1 run.

Yet and still if you told me the Phillies would be leading for a wild card spot thru 32 games I'd have laughed in your f'n face.

9 of next 12 at home vs the Braves (6), Reds (3), and Marlins (3). A chance to improve upon a solid start, but I continue to maintain some game at a time with this group.

I know this is a Phillies thread - but how about Colon hitting a HR yesterday? He has got to be one of the most entertaining athletes to watch in all of sports.

Its too bad about Altherr getting hurt. I think he had 5 HRs last year in 34 games played. That's Babe Ruthian levels of production compared to what they're getting right now on the corners.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Its too bad about Altherr getting hurt. I think he had 5 HRs last year in 34 games played. That's Babe Ruthian levels of production compared to what they're getting right now on the corners.

Yep. It was the perfect situation to throw him out there every day and see what he could do with an extended look.

3 game series vs the woeful Braves who are 1-15 at home.

Tonight 7:10 Morgan vs Wisler
Wednesday 7:10 Eickhoff vs Chacin
Thursday 7:10 Velasquez vs Blair

Lineups tonight:

Herrera CF
Hernadez 2B
Franco 3B
Howard 1B
Ruiz C
Galvis SS
Goeddel LF
Morgan P
Bourjos RF

Markakis RF
Inciarte CF
Freeman 1B
Flowers C
Francoeur LF
Beckham 3B
d'Arnaud 2B
Aybar SS
Wisler P

A sweep is unrealistic, but Phils should take 2 of 3.

It the Braves are 1-15 how is a sweep unrealistic?

Managing expectations is burrs job.

Prime example of where it would be impossible for me to win.

If I say I'm not ready for proclaiming sweeps or taking 2 of 3 with this team, then I'm managing expectations.

If I say they can sweep, then I'm a blind homer.

Can't win with this newsgroup in either example.

Prime example of where it would be impossible for me to win.

If I say I'm not ready for proclaiming sweeps or taking 2 of 3 with this team, then I'm managing expectations.

If I say they can sweep, then I'm a blind homer.

Can't win with this newsgroup in either example.
Team is 1-15, would not trash you for expecting to win all 3 in this one.

Team is 1-15, would not trash you for expecting to win all 3 in this one.

Not much was expected from Phils. Solid start, yes. Not even close to projecting how many they should take in any particular series. Just keeping it real.

Slight change in pitching matchups as the Braves traded Jhoulys Chacin to the Angels earlier today. Williams Perez was called up from AAA to make the start

Herrera CF
Hernadez 2B
Franco 3B
Howard 1B
Rupp C
Galvis SS
Goeddel LF
Eickhoff P
Bourjos RF

Markakis RF
Inciarte LF
Freeman 1B
Johnson 2B
Pierzynski C
Beckham 3B
Aybar SS
Perez P
Smith CF

When was the last time 2 teams faced off with the P hitting 8th?

Slight change in pitching matchups as the Braves traded Jhoulys Chacin to the Angels earlier today. Williams Perez was called up from AAA to make the start

Herrera CF
Hernadez 2B
Franco 3B
Howard 1B
Rupp C
Galvis SS
Goeddel LF
Eickhoff P
Bourjos RF

Markakis RF
Inciarte LF
Freeman 1B
Johnson 2B
Pierzynski C
Beckham 3B
Aybar SS
Perez P
Smith CF

When was the last time 2 teams faced off with the P hitting 8th?

I think it happened in recent gave with Phils. STL, maybe?

It's officially time for the Phillies to be concerned with Eickhoff's future in the rotation. Hopefully he rediscovers his confidence in his curveball soon.

It's officially time for the Phillies to be concerned with Eickhoff's future in the rotation. Hopefully he rediscovers his confidence in his curveball soon.

It's not so much the curveball, but that he's a two-pitch pitcher right now.

It's not so much the curveball, but that he's a two-pitch pitcher right now.

The curveball isn't biting like it was. Nor placing as well as it was. 2 pitch pitchers can get by if 1 of the 2 pitches is really good. Right now neither is a plus pitch for him. The curve was. Not anymore.

At the start of the season as a Phils fan, if you weren't otherwise immersed in our run to the NFC and you gave a $hit, if someone showed you that Howard stat line for May 12, would you take it?

I say yes, absolutely. My expectations would be for something similar but with only a few home runs, maybe 4 or 5 tops. I'll take it.

At the start of the season as a Phils fan, if you weren't otherwise immersed in our run to the NFC and you gave a $hit, if someone showed you that Howard stat line for May 12, would you take it?

I say yes, absolutely. My expectations would be for something similar but with only a few home runs, maybe 4 or 5 tops. I'll take it.
I would take it, provided that it was for another team.

Reactions: nardibynature2
I would take it, provided that it was for another team.

It's all a matter of degree. If you want to complain about production from different parts of the diamond at this stage of the rebuild, I think I'd rather some other team have our corner outfield situation... can't see it being worse many other places in both those spots right now (understanding we're hoping for more excitement there later this season and next). What we're getting from 1B is passable compared to that all things considered.

The curveball isn't biting like it was. Nor placing as well as it was. 2 pitch pitchers can get by if 1 of the 2 pitches is really good. Right now neither is a plus pitch for him. The curve was. Not anymore.
Talking out of your ass as per usual. Eickhoff's curveball has been deadly all season. If not for Nola's curve, it might be the most effective in the game right now. The problem is locating his fastball. He throws around 90-92 and when he misses his spot (usually up) it gets hammered. He needs to develop his other pitches - changeup and slider - more to have the confidence to throw them more often. I think he will be fine, he has barely pitched 90 innings in the big leagues, give him time to work it out.

Talking out of your ass as per usual. Eickhoff's curveball has been deadly all season. If not for Nola's curve, it might be the most effective in the game right now. The problem is locating his fastball. He throws around 90-92 and when he misses his spot (usually up) it gets hammered. He needs to develop his other pitches - changeup and slider - more to have the confidence to throw them more often. I think he will be fine, he has barely pitched 90 innings in the big leagues, give him time to work it out.

As per usual? Dude are you f'n serious? F*ck outta here with that. He was getting most of his K's off swings and misses with the curve. Now he's not. That has nothing to do with his mediocre fastball. His fastball has always been mediocre. He got outs with the curve. Now he's not.

As per usual? Dude are you f'n serious? F*ck outta here with that. He was getting most of his K's off swings and misses with the curve. Now he's not. That has nothing to do with his mediocre fastball. His fastball has always been mediocre. He got outs with the curve. Now he's not.

Opponents vs Eickoff:

Fastball: 34-93 .363
Curve: 4-48 .083

All pitchers don't have the same bite on a breaking ball every time out, but for the most part his curve has been very good.

His biggest issue and one I think can be corrected is that he needs to develop or show confidence in a 3rd pitch, especially when his FB pretty much sits at 91.

Those numbers are misleading. He was getting strikeouts on the curve. Now he's not putting guys away with it. His K's are down. Guys are fouling the curve off more now whereas before they were being put away by the pitch. Keeping at bats alive longer is allowing guys to wait on his fastball. And that's letting them get on base more.

Those numbers are misleading. He was getting strikeouts on the curve. Now he's not putting guys away with it. His K's are down. Guys are fouling the curve off more now whereas before they were being put away by the pitch. Keeping at bats alive longer is allowing guys to wait on his fastball. And that's letting them get on base more.
Maybe they're just grounding out on the curve more too.

Larry Andersen: "He's just not putting guys away with that big hook like he was to start the year."

Im sure the former MLB pitcher was just talking out of his ass like usual though.

Last edited:
Gdog, and that could also be because hitters are looking for it because they're not worried about the fastball. Yes, he's not going to have the same curveball each time out. He's young and that's to be expected. But regardless, he still needs to mix in a 3rd pitch.

Philly scribs looking to replace Ruf with Joseph, ignoring the fact that Joseph bats rt handed and would be stuck platooning with Howard also.

Philly scribs looking to replace Ruf with Joseph, ignoring the fact that Joseph bats rt handed and would be stuck platooning with Howard also.

I agree. If you're bringing someone up then you have to let them play most of the time. I don't want Joseph coming up and filling the Ruf role of maybe two starts a week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT