ADVERTISEMENT

Phillies 2016 Season

7054618.jpg

Cant believe this dude is 24 years old. Shades of Daniel Ochefu.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Wow. Definitely looks 40+. Ochefu not in same ballpark, more like Perry Ellis.

Joseph officially up. Some lefties coming up and then some interleague games with a DH. He should see some at bats.

Joseph officially up. Some lefties coming up and then some interleague games with a DH. He should see some at bats.

I still don't love splitting time. When it's Ruf/Howard I'm ok with it because Ruf has had opportunities. But I want to see what Joseph can do on a regular basis. It's hard to develop with scattered playing time.

i think joseph will be starting 80% of the time for the foreseeable future. you don't pull him up to play him 50/50.

i think joseph will be starting 80% of the time for the foreseeable future. you don't pull him up to play him 50/50.

Second game of Joseph call-up. RHP on mound. Howard in line-up. We're at 50% to date.

I have no interest in a strict platoon with a guy, still only 24, getting his first shot. We'll see how it develops.

Last edited:
Howard is not sitting vs right handers. Not with his contract.

Howard is not sitting vs right handers. Not with his contract.

Well, if he continues to bat .180 then that's just dumb. And we all know how much I respect, appreciate, and enjoyed Howard over the time.

It's a developmental year for the club. It's a year to experiment and see what you have with certain players. Perfect opportunity to pur someone like Joseph out there every day to see what you have.

The manager can't say it will depend on performance and expect a young player to perform reasonably well playing 2-3 times a week. Ohh, there's a righty going tomorrow, we'll, I better go 3-4 tonight. It's just not sound reasoning.

At this point the money shouldn't matter. It's the final year and no one is taking him now unless some unforeseeable and unexpected tear takes place. Now, if he can hit RH pitching at a 250-270 clip, with sane power source, then that's ok. But hitting .180, mostly vs RHP, and taking ABs from a potential piece of the future can't and shouldn't happen.

Another 1-run win. 14-3 in such games. Improbable.

Nola's last 5 starts: 34 IP, 5 ER (1.32), 35 K's. The kid knows how to pitch.

Well, if he continues to bat .180 then that's just dumb. And we all know how much I respect, appreciate, and enjoyed Howard over the time.

It's a developmental year for the club. It's a year to experiment and see what you have with certain players. Perfect opportunity to pur someone like Joseph out there every day to see what you have.

The manager can't say it will depend on performance and expect a young player to perform reasonably well playing 2-3 times a week. Ohh, there's a righty going tomorrow, we'll, I better go 3-4 tonight. It's just not sound reasoning.

At this point the money shouldn't matter. It's the final year and no one is taking him now unless some unforeseeable and unexpected tear takes place. Now, if he can hit RH pitching at a 250-270 clip, with sane power source, then that's ok. But hitting .180, mostly vs RHP, and taking ABs from a potential piece of the future can't and shouldn't happen.
Always whining. So negative. I just watch my team and hope they'll win. If you don't like them, don't watch.

One game out of first.

Last edited:
Always whining. So negative. I just watch my team and hope they'll win. If you don't like them, don't watch.

Nope. That's my opinion on that situation and there won't be any need to
regurgitate it at every turn like some people. Watched last night and enjoyed it tremendously. Who knows how long it lasts, but things have been fun so far.

Nope. That's my opinion on that situation and there won't be any need to
regurgitate it at every turn like some people. Watched last night and enjoyed it tremendously. Who knows how long it lasts, but things have been fun so far.
Thanks for sharing that earth shattering opinion. We wouldn't have known that Howard is a useless slob unworthy of MLB playing time without you.

Thanks for sharing that earth shattering opinion. We wouldn't have known that Howard is a useless slob unworthy of MLB playing time without you.

Never said that.

Why do find the need to respond to me just to be a dick?

Keep calling Howard fat, a slob, or whatever else your miserable heart desires. I hope you sleep better at night because of it.

Anybody else see Howard take 37 steps trying to slow his enormous body down after catching a pop-up with a guy tagging from 3rd? Throw was late of course.

Never said that.

Why do find the need to respond to me just to be a dick?

Keep calling Howard fat, a slob, or whatever else your miserable heart desires. I hope you sleep better at night because of it.

ND's troll jobs at burrs are just awful at this point.

Reactions: NickleDimer
I agree that if you're going to bring Joseph up, let him try to get into a rhythm by giving him plenty of starts. Platooning him reduces his chances at success.

I agree that if you're going to bring Joseph up, let him try to get into a rhythm by giving him plenty of starts. Platooning him reduces his chances at success.

Howard starting today. Joseph is now playing 33% of the time since call-up. That suggested 80% number Eberezz mentioned doesn't look so good right now. Alas, I have no control over this, so I hope Howard hits two HRs today and the Phils win another game.

Last edited:
Howard's avg is awful but he's the only guy in the offense driving the ball besides Franco. He's gonna keep playing against righties. Especially with his contract. As long as he's here - he's playing against RPs.

Turn the oven off on Howard. And get over his lefty/righty splits (.185/.143 - awful and horrific). He will be a force to be reckoned with in beer league softball next summer, though.

How about Goedy's throw last night? First Phillies assist from LF since Burrell left?

I stand by my prediction

Without an injury or them simply releasing him, then I'm not sure how he gets to that 80% clip. I gues in 2-3 weeks the manager could just cut the cord on the strict platoon.

Joseph in lineup today:

Herrera CF
Hernandez 2B
Franco 3B
Ruiz C
Joseph 1B
Galvis SS
Goedell LF
Eickhoff P
Bourjos RF

Joseph in lineup today:

Herrera CF
Hernandez 2B
Franco 3B
Ruiz C
Joseph 1B
Galvis SS
Goedell LF
Eickhoff P
Bourjos RF

Yea, LHP on mound. Another tomorrow. RHP on Wednesday. Does the strict platoon continue? I say probably.

Without an injury or them simply releasing him, then I'm not sure how he gets to that 80% clip. I gues in 2-3 weeks the manager could just cut the cord on the strict platoon.

my thought is that joseph will begin to hit and will start getting more opportunities, eventually becoming the starter, and the math will get him to 80%. may take a little while, but i don't see the platoon continuing forever with howard this much of a liability.

my thought is that joseph will begin to hit and will start getting more opportunities, eventually becoming the starter, and the math will get him to 80%. may take a little while, but i don't see the platoon continuing forever with howard this much of a liability.

Well, I kind of hope you're right. I'd love to see Joseph play well and get an extended look. My only issue is that if the strict platoon continues, then the odds of getting hot are stacked against him. I believe it's difficult to get into a rhythm playing one day, two days off, two days on, three days off, one day on, two days off, etc etc....I also don't think it's fair for a young guy, too.

After tonight he deserves to start vs the righty tomorrow

Update: 3/5 = 60% all vs LHP. The manager's decision tomorrow should be interesting. Also, ATL throwing 3 righties this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT