ADVERTISEMENT

Quitting Your Job to Travel

Strick, how much time did you spend doing advance planning before you embarked on your journey? I'm wondering how much you need to map out when doing such a trip and how much you can plan as you go. It takes me many hours to plan a simple vacation to Europe. Not sure I could get my act together to plan such an extended trip, even though it sounds great.

I decided for certain that I was going to go forward with the trip about four months prior to the departure date. I had a general looping route in mind which allowed me to increase the likelihood of being in decent weather (i.e. avoid winter and having to carry bulky clothes and rainy seasons) for most of the time I was traveling. I knew I wanted to start in South Africa, so I booked a one-way flight there from D.C. I did lots of reading, obtained travel visas in advance if I could, obtained the aforementioned vaccinations, set up a blog, organized finances, selected backpack etc. I "worked" fairly hard in advance to try to minimize potential problems I might encounter once on the road.

Essentially, this is how I handled the travel itself.....for the month or so in front of me, I generally had accommodations and transit booked. For the month beyond that, I would be doing reading or booking tours, etc and for the month beyond that (3 months in the future) I was doing some very light planning. Then as time progressed I would just bump up the focus and detail for "Months 2 and 3" and add new spots for the following month. I just kept filling in the schedule ahead.

It was probably 50% dumb luck and 50% good planning, but I encountered almost no problems....no missed flights, no robberies/assaults, no incarcerations, no maladies beyond an infected cut while on Vanuatu. I did have my AMEX card get compromised during the same period as my ATM card expired. Getting the replacement cards sent out to me as I was hopping from one South Pacific island to the next proved tricky though.

Reactions: danmcguire
i would say that the concern around finding another job that is high paying is valid, although less so if you're staying in the same industry. in my case i knew i wanted to get out of finance and work in live music. unfortunately, that didn't work out (looooong story, which i'll save for a taking questions one day) and now i'm doing tech sales at oracle. which i hate. but the $, while not as good as my finance days, is much better than the music space. for me it's more about using this as a stopgap for a couple years to gain tech sales experience which opens up numerous doors out here in sf, sacrificing what i really want to do in my career short term for the ability to quickly ramp back up to the income levels i had grown accustomed to which finances my travel/leisure habits.

re: planning, i would pick a set of events or places that you really want to see or visit. i knew i wanted to do the festival scene in 2013, so locked gov ball/bonnaroo/benicassim etc. and then filled in sporting events or trips around that (kentucky derby/british & irish lions/eagles games/ibiza etc). once you've mapped out a calendar of events for 5-8 months it makes it way easier to connect the dots and fill in other side trips.

my original goal was to take another full year off in 2022 around the USA world cup, well that fell through, so i'll try to do a euro tourney in 2020 if i can swing it by then. if you can wait until next summer, the euro's are in france. or even the rugby world cup later this year in england would be sick. just one man's view on things.

RStrick failed to mention he had a blog that was widely read by the board.

The biggest risk is being able to restart a career after stepping away. If you have the job skills and confidence...go for it. You will never forget what you did in your early 30's otherwise it is just a blur.

The idea of retirement at an acceptable age would drive me more. Thinking about what that hundred grand could be in 20 years. But you're in a pretty enviable spot either way to most. Probbaly no wrong answer provided you are reasonably confident you can generate similar dollars down the road.

i would say that the concern around finding another job that is high paying is valid, although less so if you're staying in the same industry. in my case i knew i wanted to get out of finance and work in live music. unfortunately, that didn't work out (looooong story, which i'll save for a taking questions one day) and now i'm doing tech sales at oracle. which i hate. but the $, while not as good as my finance days, is much better than the music space. for me it's more about using this as a stopgap for a couple years to gain tech sales experience which opens up numerous doors out here in sf, sacrificing what i really want to do in my career short term for the ability to quickly ramp back up to the income levels i had grown accustomed to which finances my travel/leisure habits.

re: planning, i would pick a set of events or places that you really want to see or visit. i knew i wanted to do the festival scene in 2013, so locked gov ball/bonnaroo/benicassim etc. and then filled in sporting events or trips around that (kentucky derby/british & irish lions/eagles games/ibiza etc). once you've mapped out a calendar of events for 5-8 months it makes it way easier to connect the dots and fill in other side trips.

my original goal was to take another full year off in 2022 around the USA world cup, well that fell through, so i'll try to do a euro tourney in 2020 if i can swing it by then. if you can wait until next summer, the euro's are in france. or even the rugby world cup later this year in england would be sick. just one man's view on things.
Why did the WC thing fall through? Not knowing if it is still going to be in the Middle East.

Debating going to Russia for the next one.

2gg4SeyeY-c0UyGyIT5LSYwUY9uZx0rfnJMFHazcWaU=w661-h881-no

Union Station - Washington, D.C. - Day of Departure.....traveling light.

Why did the WC thing fall through? Not knowing if it is still going to be in the Middle East.

Debating going to Russia for the next one.

fell through in regards to i was going to attend the tournament in the US and travel around the country. i doubt highly that i'll want to go to qatar, my proclivities tend to get people beheaded over there. and i don't do well with heat.

may think about doing russia, we'll see. had a blast in germany '06 and will forever rue not going to south africa in '10.

Then why wouldn't you just square up and work your ass off for ten more years so you could be done with work for good?

If your work sucks now, there's got to be a mathematical formula for how much more the suckage is going to increase over the ensuing decades. If you hate it now, you're in for a real treat.

spg, ive always though of you as the Andy Dufrain of bw's.

But that argument against it is the worst ive heard.

Why do i have to keep doing this job?
Who's to say ill be alive in ten years, or capable of travel?
What if im tied down with shit in ten years?
Who's to say ill be able to retire then anyway?

Conceding to corporate slavery kind of goes against the idea of experiencing what life has to offer. Ya feel me??

f*ck that. What is retirement anyway? Sitting around all day with aching bones, smoking a doobie, a steady hum of Fox News in the background as you play with your harmony remote, despite the channel never changing, and yelling at your speaker the size of a beer can.

Probably start a ruckus with this, but, think anyone that looks to travel out side of the U.S. is crazy........I'll give you the Caribbean and Canada. Nothing about the British Isles appeals to me, and neither does continental Europe, the Far East, Middle East, Russia, where political upheaval could happen at any time. But, to each, his own.

Probably start a ruckus with this, but, think anyone that looks to travel out side of the U.S. is crazy........I'll give you the Caribbean and Canada. Nothing about the British Isles appeals to me, and neither does continental Europe, the Far East, Middle East, Russia, where political upheaval could happen at any time. But, to each, his own.

This is literally the greatest thing ive ever read.

Wade---solo venture or with others? Either way--if you want to do it and have the means, get it done.

Sorry but this begs some questions:
1) Have you ever traveled outside of North America? If "yes" please detail.
2) Please provide examples of two or three most interesting places you have visited.

Thank you in advance.

Sorry but this begs some questions:
1) Have you ever traveled outside of North America? If "yes" please detail.
2) Please provide examples of two or three most interesting places you have visited.

Thank you in advance.
Does Atlantic City count? - Most CoP'ers.

Wade---solo venture or with others? Either way--if you want to do it and have the means, get it done.

I would do it solo.

I want to travel on my own terms, get easily irritated with people in enclosed spaces, and am very personable in a crowd.

Plus, Tinder would kick ass in Koh Pha Ngan.

Why not get a job overseas?

You'll be able to dig much deeper into the experience if you settle into one place. Can use it as springboard for other trips.

If you're telling me you'll have no problem raking once you get back, then what's to debate?

There really isn't much you can't do at 40-50-60 that you can do at 30 if you take care of yourself. Maybe you'd bang more euros/israelis/canadians/australians, but you'd have banged more in your 20's.
I don't know about this, I go pretty crazy when I go to Europe, don't know if I would be able to pull some of this shit off and wake up the next day for tourist things when I am 45.

Reminds me of a thread a few years back on the hottest women in the world. People suggesting Brazil, Sweden, Colombia (my vote), etc. G-dog chimed in that Ft Lauderdale had the hottest he ever witnessed. True story

I hear Mexico is beautiful this time of year.

My Snow Mexican raves about the homeland.

I have a long list of places I want to visit. It's just a matter of funding. All of Western Europe is high on my list. Plus plenty of places left in the U.S. to see. Would be ok if I never get to China or Japan but would like to get to New Zealand and Australia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT