ADVERTISEMENT

Random Acts of Kindness

FatPhilM

'Nova Nation Sensation
Feb 7, 2009
This morning when I pulled up to the Dunkin drive thru they told me the woman ahead of me had paid for me. I was confused since I didn't know her. (It happened once before but when I looked closer I knew the woman who paid the last time). When I mentioned it to 2 people they seemed unsurprised and said it was a "random act of kindness." I've seen the bumper stickers but I didn't know it was a real thing. It was a nice gesture.

Is this common? Maybe I just look poor.

Slightly related - a close co-worker of mine went out for surgery, got worse news, has to have another surgery and chemo. Any suggestions on what I can do to help / make that person feel supported?
A simple note helps as would a genuine offer to help them with random errands or just go visit them and give them the dirt they're missing at work (who showed up to work in shoes made of leather, not sneakers).

Slightly related - a close co-worker of mine went out for surgery, got worse news, has to have another surgery and chemo. Any suggestions on what I can do to help / make that person feel supported?
Say some prayers for the person and make it a point to let them know you're there for them if they need anything....even just someone to talk to.

A friend of mine did a RAK every day for a year, and blogged about it. Had some great ideas, and less than half of them required money.

The Dunkin' Donuts situation is also known as "paying it forward."

I RAK'd a couple weeks ago in Miami. Ordered a chicken salad wrap with kale and all sorts of other healthy stuff. Thing was loaded. Could only eat half. Gave the other half to some homeless chap. True story

The Dunkin' Donuts situation is also known as "paying it forward."
latest

I mean, seriously, does ANYONE legitimately believe that praying helps make someone healthy?

The silliness just infuriates me.
You're way too old to let people doing stupid things infuriate you. By now you should just shrug it off and ignore it. Save the anger for important things like poor drivers or someone putting mayo on your turkey sandwich when you asked for mustard.

I mean, seriously, does ANYONE legitimately believe that praying helps make someone healthy?

The silliness just infuriates me.
Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, rstrick. I respect your right to not believe.

Do you "respect" someone who worships squirrels? Of course not....some beliefs don't demand "respect".

You're an atheist. We get it.

Why do you have such a hard on for those who don't agree with you?

Surprised no one has let Phil know that he was supposed to pay for the person behind him...

Was in line at Walgreens today and there was a seemingly homeless/borderline homeless woman who was using some type of card to pay for her goods. The people kept telling her she was $2 short. I was going to pay, but then I saw she was getting cigarettes so I didn't. Someone else did (a different elderly woman).

I draw my line for charity for people that I know smoke or are clearly high.

Or just do nothing at all.

A few years ago, my Dad was dying of lung cancer and lymphoma. Even in his final days, lots of people would tell me that they were praying for my Dad to get better. To close friends, I would kind of laugh and say something like "Thank you. That's really nice of you and I truly appreciate it, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to help him get rid of his cancer".

I've had this argument with many people over the years. Prayer might be good in a sense that it makes people feel better, which is important, so in that sense it is good. But I don't buy into the magic of it. I used to pray a lot as a little kid - but that was usually just praying to God that my team would win a game. And when we lost, I'd be really pissed that it didn't work.

A few years ago, my Dad was dying of lung cancer and lymphoma. Even in his final days, lots of people would tell me that they were praying for my Dad to get better. To close friends, I would kind of laugh and say something like "Thank you. That's really nice of you and I truly appreciate it, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to help him get rid of his cancer".

I've had this argument with many people over the years. Prayer might be good in a sense that it makes people feel better, which is important, so in that sense it is good. But I don't buy into the magic of it. I used to pray a lot as a little kid - but that was usually just praying to God that my team would win a game. And when we lost, I'd be really pissed that it didn't work.

My Dad recently passed away as well. I did not "pray for him to get better" when it was clear that it was not going to happen.

I did pray that his suffering would end.

Reactions: RP_Gambit

I believe in the power of prayer. A few years back, my sister was in end stage lung failure. She was 71 at the time. She was on a transplant list but, because of her age, nobody thought she'd ever get the transplant. I prayed and prayed that she would and never stopped praying. Two years ago, her husband called me one morning to tell me she was in the hospital and being prepped for a double lung transplant. She had it and has been fine ever since. That's the most dramatic example I could site but there have been many more in my lifetime. If people don't want to believe in God or prayer, so be it. That's their decision. But, I'm here to tell you it's real.

Prayer is effective as a ritual, as meditation, as visualizing the positive outcomes you want in your life, as a way to reflect on those you care for. Unfortunately, it is not a lottery ticket for miracles as is often how it is advertised.
Cross-reference to Shoop's thread?

Reactions: BigEastBasketball
I believe in the power of prayer. A few years back, my sister was in end stage lung failure. She was 71 at the time. She was on a transplant list but, because of her age, nobody thought she'd ever get the transplant. I prayed and prayed that she would and never stopped praying. Two years ago, her husband called me one morning to tell me she was in the hospital and being prepped for a double lung transplant. She had it and has been fine ever since. That's the most dramatic example I could site but there have been many more in my lifetime. If people don't want to believe in God or prayer, so be it. That's their decision. But, I'm here to tell you it's real.
I'm not here to denigrate your beliefs (Strick is here for that) and I'm glad your sister is doing well, but this demonstrates absolutely nothing about the power of prayer. Correlation does not imply causation.

I'm not here to denigrate your beliefs (Strick is here for that) and I'm glad your sister is doing well, but this demonstrates absolutely nothing about the power of prayer. Correlation does not imply causation.
Dan, I appreciate your point of view. But, can you eliminate prayer as the reason she got the transplant?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT