ADVERTISEMENT

Random Acts of Kindness

One's view on this can change a lot depending on whether Catholicism (I assume when we're talking about Christianity in this thread, we are really talking about Catholicism) is viewed as a moral code, a path to salvation, or something else. Catholicism as a moral code makes a lot of sense to me. As someone who has had a really difficult time with religion my entire life, I found it much easier to believe once I began viewing my religion as a moral code.

Reactions: FatPhilM
One's view on this can change a lot depending on whether Catholicism (I assume when we're talking about Christianity in this thread, we are really talking about Catholicism) is viewed as a moral code, a path to salvation, or something else. Catholicism as a moral code makes a lot of sense to me. As someone who has had a really difficult time with religion my entire life, I found it much easier to believe once I began viewing my religion as a moral code.

Unless you are seeking a path to salvation - why the need for a moral code?

For those treating religion simply as a moral code to guide you through life, do you agree that Jesus Christ's claim to have been the "son of god" was obviously false and thus, Jesus was one of two things:

• a world class con man; or
  • clinically insane

For those treating religion simply as a moral code to guide you through life, do you agree that Jesus Christ's claim to have been the "son of god" was obviously false and thus, Jesus was one of two things:

• clinically insane
C.S. Lewis over here.

Unless you are seeking a path to salvation - why the need for a moral code?
54d4056de0f97_-_omar-code.gif

Reactions: SnottieDrippen
C.S. Lewis over here.

Further, if we can agree that Jesus was either a con man or unbalanced, does this absolve Judas from any real wrong doing? This poor SOB has taken a beating for 2,000 years....and for no good reason.

(sidenote: I proposed to my wife that we name our first son, Judas.....she thought this was as bad an idea as naming him Kerry Kittles Stricker)

Reactions: SnottieDrippen

• clinically insane

Please stop. Nothing good comes from baiting people with such things
May the Lord have mercy on your soul.

Reactions: djrun85
Being serious for a moment, I'm in the same camp with Merc. My idea of practicing religion is to treat others as I'd want to be treated and look as a moral code/compass. As my children have gotten older my wife has forced us to attend regular mass. As opposed to just watching my clock for the mass to end, I try and listen and take something and apply to my life. That's religion for me. I don't worship squirrels, I'm not looking for my thousand virgins or some sort of salvation when I die. I don't believe all the stuff in the bible and don't think you're supposed to take it literally. What's interesting is that the role of religion in our society has gotten smaller and I"m not sure that's led to a lot of advances in how we treat each other. Regardless, it always drove me nuts when people use religion to discriminate against another group. Gays for instance. But the pendulum has swung so far it's now cool to discriminate against religion (mostly Catholics). I'm not sure that's a good thing either.

Further, if we can agree that Jesus was either a con man or unbalanced, does this absolve Judas from any real wrong doing? This poor SOB has taken a beating for 2,000 years....and for no good reason.

(sidenote: I proposed to my wife that we name our first son, Judas.....she thought this was as bad an idea as naming him Kerry Kittles Stricker)

Dude.
Eve's never even gotten off the hook yet.
And to think of how many billions of dollars the tampon industry has made cleaning up for her mistake ...
I need to move this to a Religion and Politics board.
No thanks to you for hijacking an otherwise on point and positive discussion.
Your three day banishment to the penalty box starts now.

Dude.
Eve's never even gotten off the hook yet.
And to think of how many billions of dollars the tampon industry has made cleaning up for her mistake ...
I need to move this to a Religion and Politics board.
No thanks to you for hijacking an otherwise no point and positive discussion.
Your three day banishment to the penalty box starts now.
It would be apropos to banish him to a tomb so that after 3 days he can rise again to join the newsgroup.

• clinically insane

No, I don't agree. You either believe or you don't.

Again, you choose not to believe which is your right.

Again, that doesn't give you the right to act like a condescending asshole toward the billions of people in the world who disagree with you.

Hope you enjoy your three days in purgatory (pun intended)

I'm just glad I circled back to this thread to catch all of the drama.

I know today exactly how Jesus must have felt when Pilate judged Him without giving full consideration to His argument.....

Ha, no. These guys are from Oregon, they love this stuff.

So they're loggers?
There is nothing wrong with responsible logging in most forests. In North America it is actually pretty important to maintain early successional habitat for certain species of wildlife. Or maybe the joke went over my head.

There is nothing wrong with responsible logging in most forests. In North America it is actually pretty important to maintain early successional habitat for certain species of wildlife. Or maybe the joke went over my head.
I have one last thought for those who don't believe in miracles. Look around you! There are miracles happening every day. Each child that's born is a miracle. Every flower that blooms is a miracle. The fact that throughout the vastness of the universe that the earth is in the "goldilocks" zone which allows life to exist in such diversity and abundance is a miracle. Try looking at your life that way and you will enjoy it a lot more!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT