ADVERTISEMENT

Random Acts of Kindness

Certainly not. I can no more eliminate it than you can prove it.
Dan, That wasn't a gotcha question and I'm certainly not looking for an argument. I'm not trying to prove it but simply saying it can't be dismissed.

Dan, That wasn't a gotcha question and I'm certainly not looking for an argument. I'm not trying to prove it but simply saying it can't be dismissed.

Of course it can be dismissed....just as one would rightly dismiss the insane notion that masturbating every day while focusing on the arrival of healthy new lungs for your sister "worked".

Of course it can be dismissed....just as one would rightly dismiss the insane notion that masturbating every day while focusing on the arrival of healthy new lungs for your sister "worked".

Not arguing that prayer "works" because that is something that cannot be proven, but interesting that that you chose to attend a University which has the following mission statement:

"Villanova University is a Catholic Augustinian community of higher education, committed to excellence and distinction in the discovery, dissemination and application of knowledge. Inspired by the life and teaching of Jesus Christ, the University is grounded in the wisdom of the Catholic intellectual tradition and advances a deeper understanding of the relationship between faith and reason."

I'm sure there was a lot of faith being bandied about in Stanford Hall most Friday nights.

Reactions: The_Z_Man
Rstrick, we disagree on this. No problem but you will never convince me to change my beliefs.

I'm sure there was a lot of faith being bandied about in Stanford Hall most Friday nights.

I'm sure there wasn't.

Just surprising to see that someone who graduated from a Catholic university is so proud of himself for being a religious bigot and is so offensive to those who don't happen to be atheists.

It's bizarre to say the least.

Not arguing that prayer "works" because that is something that cannot be proven, but interesting that that you chose to attend a University which has the following mission statement:

"Villanova University is a Catholic Augustinian community of higher education, committed to excellence and distinction in the discovery, dissemination and application of knowledge. Inspired by the life and teaching of Jesus Christ, the University is grounded in the wisdom of the Catholic intellectual tradition and advances a deeper understanding of the relationship between faith and reason."

I think I've told you previously, I came for the basketball and stayed for the accounting.

Virtually nobody cared about religion...at least when I was there....it just wasn't relevant to most students' experience.

I think I've told you previously, I came for the basketball and stayed for the accounting.

Virtually nobody cared about religion...at least when I was there....it just wasn't relevant to most students' experience.

Good for you. I am sure that is true in many cases.

That doesn't give you the right to belittle people who don't share your atheist views.

That doesn't give you the right to be an asshole to those who don't share your views.

I have no idea what the "that" refers to in your statement, but nonetheless, I have every right to point out absurdity when I see it displayed.

I have no idea what the "that" refers to in your statement, but nonetheless, I have every right to point out absurdity when I see it displayed.

"That" refers to your perspective that religion didn't matter to most students when you attended school (which may or may not be the case).

Why not be an equal opportunity bigot and make fun of Jewish people who wear yarmulkes or Muslims who wear religious garb? You know, spread the wealth...

Just surprising to see that someone who graduated from a Catholic university is so proud of himself for being a religious bigot and is so offensive to those who don't happen to be atheists.

It's bizarre to say the least.

I have observed that most atheists are arrogant and condescending about it. I am not religious but I'm not proud of that. I simply am skeptical by nature and I'm a non-believer. Despite that, I happen to wish that I could believe and wholly respect people who do. I think the Christian message is a positive one and the music, paintings, architecture, etc. are high art.

I have observed that most atheists are arrogant and condescending about it. I am not religious but I'm not proud of that. I simply am skeptical by nature and I'm a non-believer. Despite that, I happen to wish that I could believe and wholly respect people who do. I think the Christian message is a positive one and the music, paintings, architecture, etc. are high art and I appreciate it.

Interesting observation.

I have no problem with "non-believers." To each their own.

I do have a problem with people who act in an offensive manner toward people who don't share that perspective.

Last edited:
Interesting observation.

I have no problem with "non-believers." To each their own.

I do have a problem with people who act in an offensive manner toward people who don't share that perspective.

And it's amazing to me that someone who does happen to feel that way is so blatant about it.

I agree. I also find it weird that atheists will rip Christianity but so many of them fail to criticize other religions.

I don't really follow you but I will do my best. I think people will naturally look at ways to understand the world. More primitive people came up with polytheistic religions and other concepts to help make sense of the world. I think the evolution of Christianity was positive in that it contained some unique, counter-intuitive concepts of morality like inclusion, lack of judgment, vengeance and the idea of loving others and treating all people with compassion and kindness. Theses things are truly part of the new testament despite how fundamentalists often act. Prior religious writings often included stories of ethnic superiority, revenge, conquest over enemies, etc. as well as lists of people who are hated in the eyes of God(s).

I think the story of Jesus is great even if there is not an ounce of truth to it. Maybe that is what you mean. I don't see it as good because it helps control the masses so much as because it contains an inclusive and humanitarian message. You can learn from great literature too. This is similar but much deeper because the story and surrounding pomp have evolved through centuries and across numerous cultures. It is a shared cultural history that is meaningful regardless of whether it is true.

Reactions: tjc3844
I agree. I also find it weird that atheists will rip Christianity but so many of them fail to criticize other religions.

Can't speak for all atheists, but I question the sanity of anyone who mumbles words of worship to a nonexistent man in the sky.

It was as insane when folks worshiped Thor and Zeus and Apollo as it is today today for Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc.

Can't speak for all atheists, but I question the sanity of anyone who mumbles words of worship to a nonexistent man in the sky.

It was as insane when folks worshiped Thor and Zeus and Apollo as it is today today for Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc.

I disagree. Your view is overly simplistic in my opinion.

So everyone who isn't an atheist is mentally ill?

So everyone who isn't an atheist is mentally ill?

Don't you agree that everyone who worships squirrels has mental issues? I see no difference between worshiping squirrels and worshiping a magical dude in the sky. None.

Don't you agree that everyone who worships squirrels has mental issues? I see no difference between worshiping squirrels and worshiping a magical dude in the sky. None.
Do you know anyone who worships squirrels?

I have a hard time understanding how someone can experience the beauty of the Christian story with the tale of human sacrifice flipped on it's head, the passion and resurrection, the parables, and the 2,000 years of shared history, the music and art, etc. and then compare it to worshipping squirrels.

I don't really follow you but I will do my best. I think people will naturally look at ways to understand the world. More primitive people came up with polytheistic religions and other concepts to help make sense of the world. I think the evolution of Christianity was positive in that it contained some unique, counter-intuitive concepts of morality like inclusion, lack of judgment, vengeance and the idea of loving others and treating all people with compassion and kindness. Theses things are truly part of the new testament despite how fundamentalists often act. Prior religious writings often included stories of ethnic superiority, revenge, conquest over enemies, etc. as well as lists of people who are hated in the eyes of God(s).

I think the story of Jesus is great even if there is not an ounce of truth to it. Maybe that is what you mean. I don't see it as good because it helps control the masses so much as because it contains an inclusive and humanitarian message. You can learn from great literature too. This is similar but much deeper because the story and surrounding pomp have evolved through centuries and across numerous cultures. It is a shared cultural history that is meaningful regardless of whether it is true.
Thinks that all prior religions and ideas were barbaric. Typical Christian move.

Stiff the kid...blame Obama.
My wife already yells at me because I told them they couldn't have something due to Obama taking all of daddy's money. Evidently it is frowned upon to say such things to children.

Again, if you choose to be an atheist, that is your right to do so.

Not really understanding what you have to gain by insulting people who believe in God and/or believe in organized religion. If it's to evoke a reaction, then I'm glad that I was able to provide that for you.

Is it still socially acceptable to be a religious bigot?

Last edited:

Terrific response, Phil. I can't believe rstrick actually believes some of what he's posted. I think it's for the shock value.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT