ADVERTISEMENT

Roll The Tanks Back Out

gldendog

Post 'Til Your Fingers Bleed
Jul 24, 2001
Embiid having a second surgery. Out for season.

#RollEmBackOut
#BenSimmons

images

Yeah but when he finally plays, he'll be so well rested than his peers from same draft class

- burrs

And his career is in serious jeopardy. I'm just going to assume that he'll never really get on the floor in a normal fashion. If he defies those odds and eventually becomes something productive then it's a bonus. I can be optimistic concerning one year, but now another really increases the chances of an injury-plagued career. However long that lasts. It sucks because I thought he had the makings of being a great player.

It is the worst injury for a man that size to have. THE. WORST. It's the weight supporting bone in the foot. It's made even worse by him being as athletic as he is at that size. The only possible ray of hope is that his continued growth spurt in the last year (grew an inch and a half from 7'0.5 to 7'2) compromised the healing in the bone during the time period.

I would like to extend another thank you to Villanova Basketball for churning me through basketball season, yet again.

Thank you.

The process is fine. You have to be bad before being good in the NBA and you have to build through the draft.

The only other way to get great players is thru FAs. And no great players are signing here until a couple of really good players are already in place.

It's not that hard to understand. However, if you have another way, then I'd love to hear about it.

step 1: draft players that are physically capable of playing the game of basketball.

step 2: spend your league mandated salary level on actual players that are physically capable of playing the game of basketball as opposed to salary dumps from other team in exchange for possible future picks

So, you wouldn't have drafted Embiid?

Step two is pointless. So, spend money on third tier FAs and raise win total from 20 to 28 wins?

NBA GMs will continue to be enticed by the skilled big man. Takes a special kind of GM to actually use his head and pass on a big man with red flags like Embiid. Every GM is scared to death on passing on the next Shaq when the reality is 99% of big men with health issues in college turn out to be stiffs. Really thought Hinkie would be smarter but he fell in to the same old trap. Should have traded down a few spots and took Randle.

It's pointless discussing this with someone who thinks that an NBA team needs to tank 3 years in a row to have a shot at winning more than 28 games.

No, they could do what you suggest and win 30-40 games every year and remain in NBA purgatory for a decade.

All you do is bitch and never once has offered up a suggestion of what you would do.

NBA GMs will continue to be enticed by the skilled big man. Takes a special kind of GM to actually use his head and pass on a big man with red flags like Embiid. Every GM is scared to death on passing on the next Shaq when the reality is 99% of big men with health issues in college turn out to be stiffs. Really thought Hinkie would be smarter but he fell in to the same old trap. Should have traded down a few spots and took Randle.

Embiid was the right pick. He's a generational type talent. Yes, it came with a risk.

Embiid was the right pick. He's a generational type talent. Yes, it came with a risk.

Based on what? 30 games at Kansas? Ninja, please. This was not a 4 year slam dunk talent like Tim Duncan. He had enough risk that 2 other teams smartly passed. GMs just won't learn when it comes to big men. They'll keep reaching against hope when most end up like Greg Oden. And burrs is a believer of this thinking. Big shock.

Based on what? 30 games at Kansas? Ninja, please. This was not a 4 year slam dunk talent like Tim Duncan. He had enough risk that 2 other teams smartly passed. GMs just won't learn when it comes to big men. They'll keep reaching against hope when most end up like Greg Oden. And burrs is a believer of this thinking. Big shock.

There were three players worthy of the top 3 picks. Parker and Wiggins were enticing enough to take over an injured Embiid, who was a lock to go #1 before the injury was discovered in a workout right before the draft.

Please, start the list of all the big men that have ended up like Oden. I'll be waiting......

The 2 teams that passed had stud options to fall back on. Wiggins and Parker. The Sixers had no such fall back option.

Saying "Embiid was the right pick" based on what has happened so far shows how delusional you are.

At the time it was the right pick. No one picked after him has his type of potential. But I get it. All of you told-you-so guys are geniuses after the fact.

But I will say this. As time goes on and if he never amounts to anything, then there are no consolation prizes for him being the right pick. Hinkie doesn't get to say, well If Embiid didn't get hurt then things would have been different. It will go down as a mistake. Still, I would have taken Embiid over the other options, too. Understanding it came with a risk.

Last edited:
The 2 teams that passed had stud options to fall back on. Wiggins and Parker. The Sixers had no such fall back option.

Right. So trade down a few picks and collect future picks (which is the backbone of Hinkie's genius plan isn't it?) and take a guy like Randle. Not that hard.

Please, start the list of all the big men that have ended up like Oden. I'll be waiting......

Oden, Bowie, Kwame Brown, Olowakandi, Pervis Ellison, Hasheem Thabeet, Darko, Shawn Bradley, Stromile Swift. Want me to keep going? In case I wasn't clear, I wasn't saying that all big men will end up injured. I was saying most top 5 highly touted big men tend to suck. History has clearly shown that yet teams trip over themselves at the chance to draft another 7 foot bust in the off chance they turn out to be a hall of famer.

Right. So trade down a few picks and collect future picks (which is the backbone of Hinkie's genius plan isn't it?) and take a guy like Randle. Not that hard.

So take the one guy who missed the year injured and hasnt proven he sucks yet like all the other guys in the lottery? How do you even know Randle will be any good? He's an undersized PF who cant shoot nor defend nor dribble to his right.

Oden, Bowie, Kwame Brown, Olowakandi, Pervis Ellison, Hasheem Thabeet, Darko, Shawn Bradley, Stromile Swift. Want me to keep going? In case I wasn't clear, I wasn't saying that all big men will end up injured. I was saying most top 5 highly touted big men tend to suck. History has clearly shown that yet teams trip over themselves at the chance to draft another 7 foot bust in the off chance they turn out to be a hall of famer.

Dude, there are just as many busts at the top of the draft that are guards and forwards.

Shaq, Duncan, Davis, Aldridge, Love, Bosh, Howard, D. Jordan, Drummond, Monroe, Horford, Cousins, P, Gasol, Noah, etc....did they turn out like Oden?

At the time we all agreed it was an eyes wide open pick. Bucks passed despite the fact Embiid was more talented than parker. Sixers took a known risk and the risk failed. I recall saying a good 25 times, you don't trust 7 foot 19 year olds with two stress related injuries in 6 months. There was always a better chance than not this wasn't going to work. To try and re-write history is not right. It was a homerun swing, turned into a strikeout. We all knew it was possible or the kid would have gone 1.

I know that a government employee would struggle to understand this, but in life you are judged based on RESULTS.

Actually, I agree with this. I have basically said this from day one. In the end, Hinkie and his plan will be judged on results. I mean seriously. I've said this repeatedly. You just choose to ignore it.

No results, no indication of future results. Currently hedging possibility of future playoff appearances on 20% lottery odds and lucking out with other teams' mid first round picks.

Again, Hinkie won't be in place forever. It will be plain to see for all when he no longer runs this franchise. It will either be a total or failure or they eventually have some years of sustained success.

It's not about playoff appearances unless such appearances sees you viable enough to be a contender. No one is interested in five years of 41-41, 7th seed seasons.

Okafor looked good against the Lakers last nite.

Russell is shooting a heinous % in the first couple games but I'm not gonna pretend any of these games really amount to a hill of sh*t.

Between Okafor, Noel, Stauskas at least Sixers fans have reasons to watch the games this yr. Which is more than we can say the last 2 yrs.

Every team in the NBA would've rolled the dice on Embiid's upside last yr at #3. Every team. It was considered a 3 stud draft.

Going forward I still like the spot the Sixers are in with a handful of #1 picks next year and Saric. Embiid is just gravy at this point. Next offseason I expect them to dive hard into free agency. I have a reason to watch now and that's really all I want. I know they're not winning anything right now. No one in the East is with Lebron around so it's whatever.

10 years of 41-41 is better than 10 years of going 20-61 then striking out in the draft.

Yea, all those years after 2001 were just wonderful. At the end of the day, the result is still the same. Neither example is good enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT