ADVERTISEMENT

Sixers Draft/Trade Rumors

Burrs5

VUSports.com All-American
Jan 24, 2016
A few tidbits that I have read recently.

-Mostly flimsy (IMO) trade rumor out of CHI. Noel to Bulls for D. Rose, Gibson, Dunleavy, and the #14. The idea surrounding this is that CHI wants to build around Butler and clear a lot of space. Those three guys make a about 35 mil between them next year and would FA after that. I'm not a fan of this. However, you add vets like that and you probably win some games, which helps the younger guys whoa re the future. Then, you could always let them go after next year and still have a lot of CAP SPACE. Maybe, D. Rose re-invents himself again. Not sure that's going to happen, tho.

-The Sixers apparently like K. Dunn and are trying to get back into the top of the draft says K. Bucher. I've heard this a couple of times, too.

-It looks like the pick being Simmons is gaining more momentum as time passes. Today, Chad Ford said if the draft was tonight he'd be the pick in a landslide. I'm very cool with this.

Also, I'd prefer that Okafor gets moved before Noel and if that happens I want them to do it for a high pick in this year's draft or a younger type vet who could grow with the team.

One of the only basketball related things that makes me as sad as old drazen petrovic highlights is old derrick rose highlights. Don't want to have that reminder all the time.

Most questions about Simmons are his motor, not his talent. Perhaps a product of LSU being pretty terrible and him just wanting to get through the season healthy. I don't love that knock though. Obviously a big talent but I like a kid who looks like a killer. He doesn't. Yet. Would not take anyone else though.

One of the only basketball related things that makes me as sad as old drazen petrovic highlights is old derrick rose highlights. Don't want to have that reminder all the time.

Yea, I mostly agree. Right before he got hurt vs Sixers in the playoffs he was probably my favorite player and I thought he was going to be super. He's lacked self-awareness in recent years and repeatedly gets hurt. He displays flashes at times, but nothing to make you think something extended is about to happen.

-Mostly flimsy (IMO) trade rumor out of CHI. Noel to Bulls for D. Rose, Gibson, Dunleavy, and the #14. The idea surrounding this is that CHI wants to build around Butler and clear a lot of space. Those three guys make a about 35 mil between them next year and would FA after that. I'm not a fan of this. However, you add vets like that and you probably win some games, which helps the younger guys whoa re the future. Then, you could always let them go after next year and still have a lot of CAP SPACE. Maybe, D. Rose re-invents himself again. Not sure that's going to happen, tho.

I just ran this in the trade machine and it was $28MM away from working.

Simmons graded out as having larger hands than Shaq, and faster 3/4 court sprint than Russell Westbrook. Staggering.

I just ran this in the trade machine and it was $28MM away from working.
Sixers have cap space so wouldn't it work? Regardless, it's basically a salary dump for the Bulls. Don't love it but be nice to have these vets even if only for a year. Move okafor first.

Trades I would do for Okafor:

-Jimmy Butler
-CJ McCollum sign and trade
-Lakers #2 pick

I don't even think about those.

Trades I would probably do:
-Suns pick and Bledsoe or Knight
-Bos pick and Bradley

Trades I wouldn't do:
-Just Celtics pick
-Just Suns pick

Okafor for just Dunn or Murray isn't enough. For the record I think Dunn is the guy the Sixers want.

I dont judge Simmons at all by his one year of college ball. he didnt want to be in college and Ill only judge him on what he can do in the pros and the physical abilities he has. If he ends up a Tim Thomas type that goes through the motions for 12 years that's fine. With his skill set you have to take that chance.

I dont get trading Okafur at all. he is an incredible player and is 20 years old. If anything move on from Noel because his offense is so limited. and why not keep both? Embiid most likely wont play in the NBA. why not keep all your young talent and grow into a good team? Sarik, Noel , Okafur, Simmons. thats a nice core. run them out there and see what happens. if they win great, if not you are in the lottery again. Do not trade for veterans so the Sixers can be the 7th or 8th seed next season.

more on Embiid. why do people think he will play ? he played 6 months of college ball got hurt and two full years later still has not played 1 min. what will change? 7 footers with bad feet is a bad combination.

Sixers need a guard, id like to see them trade the bottom two 1st rounders and maybe a future pick to get up and get Dunn, Heild, Murray or Brown. they have the Lakers next year which is top 3 protected and then 2018 unprotected.

-Jimmy Butler - no thanks
-CJ McCollum sign and trade - yes but not for Okafur - id do it for Noel and a pick. but its a big contract to take on.
-Lakers #2 pick - interesting but not sure LAL would do that. Ingrham has more star power.

-Suns pick and Bledsoe or Knight - no
-Bos pick and Bradley - no

-CJ McCollum sign and trade - yes but not for Okafur - id do it for Noel and a pick. but its a big contract to take on.
-Lakers #2 pick - interesting but not sure LAL would do that. Ingrham has more star power.

Youre seriously worried about paying McCollum? Have you seen him play? He's a young stud. You gotta pay someone. And cap is going way up. I don't foresee Portland letting him get outta there. Would be nuts. He and Lillard are a top 3 backcourt for the next many years.

he is gonna want a max contract. are you willing to give that to him? NBA insiders are saying Portland is not willing to. he is very good but those max contracts can destroy your franchise for years if the player does not live up to the contract. ie Elton Brand, Igudala etc.

Chad Ford also said that Ingram has a better chance of becoming Tayshaun Prince than Durant. Fully agree with that.

If you're drafting Simmons and can get Knight and the 4th pick for Okafor I would do it. That gives you two scoring guards, assuming you're drafting Murray/Dunn/Hield, to run with Simmons and Nerlens. I'm assuming RoCo plays the 3 if Okafor gets moved and Simmons plays the "four."

The Bulls rumor isn't even a rumor. Its from a crap website. That's like doing the Bynum deal again - no, just no. Why would you take an older injured highly priced fading star? It doesn't fit what you're doing.

I'd trade Ok for McCollum straight up, but Portland isn't moving him.

The max contract right now is still limited compared to what the max will be next year and then it increases another 20 million the following year. So yes, I'd pay CJ that max.

he is gonna want a max contract. are you willing to give that to him? NBA insiders are saying Portland is not willing to. he is very good but those max contracts can destroy your franchise for years if the player does not live up to the contract. ie Elton Brand, Igudala etc.

YES!

Dude, Brad Beal is gonna get a max contract for Christ sake. With the cap super inflated max contracts aren't a big deal anymore. Every team in the league can afford several max guys. Sixers are 65M under the cap!

IMO only about 8-10 NBA players deserve a max contract. and with the change coming youll see alot of free agents resign to one year deals and then go to free agency again after next season. ie Durrant. Lebron.

1) Lebron
2) Curry
3) Westbrook
4) KD
5) Lilliard
6) Anthony Davis
7) Leonard
8) Klay Thompson

There are multiple types of "max" deals depending on how long a player has been in the league.

People's heads are going to spin when you see some of the contracts that are signed this summer.

I believe Embiid will play this year. Will he get hurt again? That I can't answer.

They have too many front court players. There aren't enough minutes. You won't know about Embiid for at least two years, so you can't wait and see. Okafor's value is high now, he'll fetch the most back, and has a better chance of losing value moving forward than gaining value. Noel protects the rim and can run the floor. The Sixers want to play fast and that's not Okafor.

I like Okafor but I can see why they might move him. In today's NBA you want to play faster. Have guys that can guard pick and rolls. If you're building a team around Simmons you wanna surround him with bigs who also get up and down the floor. Saric. Noel. Maybe Embiid. These guys can all move. So say you move Oak for a couple guards. You still have Noel at center even if Embiid doesn't pan out. And you have Simmons and Saric who can both play PF. I understand the thought process of moving him. As long as it's for real, tangible value.

You don't watch much basketball do you.

Reactions: adp98
I like Okafor but I can see why they might move him. In today's NBA you want to play faster. Have guys that can guard pick and rolls. If you're building a team around Simmons you wanna surround him with bigs who also get up and down the floor. Saric. Noel. Maybe Embiid. These guys can all move. So say you move Oak for a couple guards. You still have Noel at center even if Embiid doesn't pan out. And you have Simmons and Saric who can both play PF. I understand the thought process of moving him. As long as it's for real, tangible value.
What talented guards are you going to get back for Okafor that will make the team a contender?

The first sentence is wrong. The second is contradictory.

Let me explain better....

I think there is genuine interest in Okafor today. At least by some teams. I don't mean the entire league is banging down the door trying to get him. He's still in his infantile stage of development and I believe some clubs are interested.

With that said, I also believe this. Moving forward I think his value has a better chance of decreasing than it does of increasing. I can't prove that, but it's my hunch.

Let me explain better....

I think there is genuine interest in Okafor today. At least by some teams. I don't mean the entire league is banging down the door trying to get him. He's still in his infantile stage of development and I believe some clubs are interested.

With that said, I also believe this. Moving forward I think his value has a better chance of decreasing than it does of increasing. I can't prove that, but it's my hunch.

That's very fair.

NovaBall clearly knows nothing about hoops.

why? cause im willing to continue to try and build through the draft and not take on huge contracts of players who wont help this team win a championship in the future?

Okafur is really talented. there was an old school , slow, back to the basket player in SA that won a few championships. Not saying Okafur is that good but id certainly keep him here and wait and see.

if you trade Okafur and Embiid never plays, that means you have 2 players from the Hinkie era in Noel and Sarik that will see time for the Sixers next year. so what was the 3 years of tanking for?

What talented guards are you going to get back for Okafor that will make the team a contender?

I think looking at it from the point of view is getting a bit ahead of ourselves. Specifically, the use of the word contender. My hope would be to get a player/s back that could grow with the guys they decide to keep and add in other forms. Then, if it pans out we can look back and say that was good trade because (Player X) has developed and is part of something good.

This team needs talent in the backcourt and they have intriguing pieces upfront, especially if they add Simmons. I believe the best way to improve the perimeter/wing area is to use Okafor in a trade this offseason.

With that said, I'm not just giving him away. I'm open to trading him and I think it makes the most sense.

Boston wanted and wants Okafur, Danny Ainge does a pretty good job as their GM. might want to hang on to him and see what happens not give up on him after one year which he avg 17 and 7 in 30 mins per game.

I think looking at it from the point of view is getting a bit ahead of ourselves. Specifically, the use of the word contender. My hope would be to get a player/s back that could grow with the guys they decide to keep and add in other forms. Then, if it pans out we can look back and say that was good trade because (Player X) has developed and is part of something good.

This team needs talent in the backcourt and they have intriguing pieces upfront, especially if they add Simmons. I believe the best way to improve the perimeter/wing area is to use Okafor in a trade this offseason.

With that said, I'm not just giving him away. I'm open to trading him and I think it makes the most sense.
So, no one.

So, no one.

Do you just want me to just randomly throw names out there?

As an example, I'd be ok with a deal to BOS for the 3rd pick and maybe something else. Draft Dunn, Murray, Heild/Brown (My preference in order) and go from there.

But who knows what possibilities exist? Maybe, a mystery team gets involved at some point and another name surfaces.

If they trade him then I will examine the deal and state whether I like it or not. I don't believe any deal they do makes them a contender the day after. The player coming back is more than likely going to have to develop and probably won't be an established player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT