ADVERTISEMENT

Sixers Draft/Trade Rumors

Do you just want me to just randomly throw names out there?

As an example, I'd be ok with a deal to BOS for the 3rd pick and maybe something else. Draft Dunn, Murray, Heild/Brown (My preference in order) and go from there.

Yes. Was I not clear that I wanted names/possibilities?

It seems like there isn't a decent established guard in the league that's a possibility. So, your solution above is to draft more unknowns and hope they stick. That seems to mean more years of rebuild.

I thought this year was the year things would turn around?

When I watch basketball I keep coming back to positional flexibility. It's become so important to what the game is now. Guys who can switch pick and rolls. Guys who can play multiple positions and do multiple things. Guys that dont destroy you on one end of the floor. Okafor kinda reminds me of Enes Kanter. Incredibly skilled offensively but a turnstile at the other end, and generally useless without the ball. When you watch the finals you're gonna see 2 teams playing Draymond and Frye at center. Guys like Kanter and Okafor cannot guard these dudes on the perimeter. I really am of the belief, though, that the Thunder couldve, and wouldve beaten the Warriors had they consistently utilized Kanter and Adams more in the post. Those guys were having their way but they went away from them too often to play hero ball on the perimeter. Having good bigs IS still a luxury in the NBA but its hard for teams to get out of a perimeter-oriented mindset today. You can still build, and win, around bigs in the NBA today but it has to be around the sort of bigs who dont get you torched trying to guard smaller dudes in today's NBA. Delicate balance there. Just because Golden St is winning chips behind the 2 best shooters of all time doesnt mean thats the only way to build a winner. Guys that shoot like that dont exactly fall off trees. However, it's obvious you need a good amount of perimeter shooting to survive.

Sixers have a very difficult decision to make here. I envy them and I dont envy them at the same time.

Yes. Was I not clear that I wanted names/possibilities?

It seems like there isn't a decent established guard in the league that's a possibility. So, your solution above is to draft more unknowns and hope they stick. That seems to mean more years of rebuild.

I thought this year was the year things would turn around?

Define turn around?

There could be an established guard in the league that is a possibility. I can't speak to what teams may or may not be willing to do this offseason. Without getting specific, I do think there are a wide range of options this summer.

I thought this would the be the offseason that they altered their mindset and started to move things forward. I believe this would be true even if Hinkie was still around.

gldendog - great post. i agree with OKC going away from the inside game and letting Westbrook and KD dominate the ball , they never forced GS's weaker players to guard.

bottom line is you need a superstar on the team. that is why im taking Simmons and sticking with Okafur. hopefully one becomes the superstar you need.

When I watch basketball I keep coming back to positional flexibility. It's become so important to what the game is now. Guys who can switch pick and rolls. Guys who can play multiple positions and do multiple things. Guys that dont destroy you on one end of the floor. Okafor kinda reminds me of Enes Kanter. Incredibly skilled offensively but a turnstile at the other end, and generally useless without the ball. When you watch the finals you're gonna see 2 teams playing Draymond and Frye at center. Guys like Kanter and Okafor cannot guard these dudes on the perimeter. I really am of the belief, though, that the Thunder couldve, and wouldve beaten the Warriors had they consistently utilized Kanter and Adams more in the post. Those guys were having their way but they went away from them too often to play hero ball on the perimeter. Having good bigs IS still a luxury in the NBA but its hard for teams to get out of a perimeter-oriented mindset today. You can still build, and win, around bigs in the NBA today but it has to be around the sort of bigs who dont get you torched trying to guard smaller dudes in today's NBA. Delicate balance there. Just because Golden St is winning chips behind the 2 best shooters of all time doesnt mean thats the only way to build a winner. Guys that shoot like that dont exactly fall off trees. However, it's obvious you need a good amount of perimeter shooting to survive.

Sixers have a very difficult decision to make here. I envy them and I dont envy them at the same time.
I was thinking the same thing. Yes, GS are crazy good shooters, but if you watch the Conference Finals, a lot of their shots were on switches.

When I watch basketball I keep coming back to positional flexibility.

See Barnes, Harrison. He is going to get paid because he can play multiple positions at an above average level. While a lot of GSW fans get very frustrated with him, he is extremely important to their scheme. He is their starting SF and plays the PF when they go small.

Another problem people have to day is that they watch a 19/20 year old play for 50 games or one college season and think they are a finished product. No one knows what they're going to be at age 24+ and 3-5 years of NBA experience. These kids need time to develop and improve. It doesn't happen overnight.

why? cause im willing to continue to try and build through the draft and not take on huge contracts of players who wont help this team win a championship in the future?

Okafur is really talented. there was an old school , slow, back to the basket player in SA that won a few championships. Not saying Okafur is that good but id certainly keep him here and wait and see.

if you trade Okafur and Embiid never plays, that means you have 2 players from the Hinkie era in Noel and Sarik that will see time for the Sixers next year. so what was the 3 years of tanking for?
Okafor is a black hole who gives up more than he gets, doesn't rebound well or protect the rim. You clearly don't understand how the game has evolved away from what he does well and how his weaknesses expose him on a nightly basis. Who would he guard in the current NBA finals? No one.

You can't possibly be comparing Okafor to one of the best defenders in NBA history.

not comparing him to Duncan, Im saying other players have had success with the back to the basket game when you build the right team around them. im also saying its way too early to judge him and/or trade him for who? buddy heild or kris Dunn? no thanks.

What separates Curry and Klay from other great shooters is they need no space. And their releases are like a hair trigger. Basically they're almost impossible to defend. BUT if you DO give them ANY sort of space, they're rarely going to miss. The space they do get is generally created by slip screens or pick and rolls where a big is just half a second too slow to close out. That's all it takes with these guys. A split second and you're dead. Cleveland is gonna go small and try to beat these guys at their own game, which is making a bunch of 3's. I just dont think this is the right course of action. You dont beat those guys in a free flowing game. Thats the game they prefer. Where they can get in a flow. OKC showed in the first 4 games you want to slow the game down a good bit and try to pound them in the halfcourt. They went away from it just enough to allow Klay Thompson to catch fire - and that was all she wrote. The Cavs gave GS some trouble last year because they slowed the games down and tried to muck them up and win ugly. They felt they had to do this because they lacked firepower with Love and Irving out, but the blueprint showed it could work. Now they have their horses back and are gonna try to run with them again. I dont think its a good idea and not sure Ty Lue is a good enough coach to understand this.

Okafor is a black hole who gives up more than he gets, doesn't rebound well or protect the rim. You clearly don't understand how the game has evolved away from what he does well and how his weaknesses expose him on a nightly basis. Who would he guard in the current NBA finals? No one.

Ok, but with 3 or so years of experience who would guard him? The game has evolved, but that doesn't mean it won't ever evolve back or in another direction. Just saying it's not always about guarding the other team. Sometimes you can force them to guard you.

No doubt the weaknesses exists today and reasonable to think he may never be than just ok in some areas. Still, do people really expect him to be a finished/complete player today?

Duncan is an elite rebounder and defender, Okafor sucks at both. Other than that great comparison

the game is always evolving. doesnt mean one style will work for each team in each season. yes its now a perimeter game but really only 3 teams play that perimeter game well and thats OKC, GS and Cleveland and those teams happen to have the very best players in the league. watch Toronto try and play a perimeter game and have Lowry or DeRozen be the guy who has to win them the game. it looks like a great style when you have the best players. its awful when you are an avg team much like Toronto.

See Barnes, Harrison. He is going to get paid because he can play multiple positions at an above average level. While a lot of GSW fans get very frustrated with him, he is extremely important to their scheme. He is their starting SF and plays the PF when they go small.

Barnes, Harrison would scare the balls off of me unless he's going to a great team like OKC or SA where he can continue to get absolutely wide open shots. When this guy shoots there's usually no one within 5 feet of him. He would scare the hell out of me on a team without multiple superstars where he gets more of the defensive focus, or any defensive focus.

Duncan is an elite rebounder and defender, Okafor sucks at both. Other than that great comparison

Okafur is 20 years old. give him a full season next year with the Sixers and he gets 20 and 10 every night. the guy is skilled offensively, i dont see how people dont see that and also that he was double teamed most of his time on the floor cause they had no one else. put a team around him and he'll succeed.

In 3 years he will struggle to make it up and down the court

What separates Curry and Klay from other great shooters is they need no space. And their releases are like a hair trigger. Basically they're almost impossible to defend. BUT if you DO give them ANY sort of space, they're rarely going to miss. The space they do get is generally created by slip screens or pick and rolls where a big is just half a second too slow to close out. That's all it takes with these guys. A split second and you're dead. Cleveland is gonna go small and try to beat these guys at their own game, which is making a bunch of 3's. I just dont think this is the right course of action. You dont beat those guys in a free flowing game. Thats the game they prefer. Where they can get in a flow. OKC showed in the first 4 games you want to slow the game down a good bit and try to pound them in the halfcourt. They went away from it just enough to allow Klay Thompson to catch fire - and that was all she wrote. The Cavs gave GS some trouble last year because they slowed the games down and tried to muck them up and win ugly. They felt they had to do this because they lacked firepower with Love and Irving out, but the blueprint showed it could work. Now they have their horses back and are gonna try to run with them again. I dont think its a good idea and not sure Ty Lue is a good enough coach to understand this.

sometimes neither look at the rim or are close to square when they shoot and yet they make the shots. its unbelievable how good they are.

Okafor suckstrade his butt for whatever you can get. I don't want him near simmons or the other kids. He's a knucklehead and not very good.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Okafor suckstrade his butt for whatever you can get. I don't want him near simmons or the other kids. He's a knucklehead and not very good.

So, so, so, so over the top. Agree with the concerns and flaws, but let's keep it just a little bit real. We get it, you don't like him, but there isn't a NBA personnel guy who would classify him as this.

A knucklehead? I think many would agree. Roll the tape from boston.

How's Phil Jackson doing these days? He still with the team?

If I called you every time Phi Jackson won something.....and it's a fair statement. Don't gets so defensive about defending the process(es)

If I called you every time Phi Jackson won something.....and it's a fair statement. Don't gets so defensive about defending the process(es)

What has Phil won since becoming President of the Knicks? I may have missed it.

Phil is great when he's coaching Jordan and Pippen. And Kobe and Shaq. When running a team with no players like the Knicks....

Yeah.

The Knicks are nowhere near even remotely winning. I doubt Jackson even sees it though. There's a mess. No draft picks. One building block. A total mess.

The Knicks are nowhere near even remotely winning. I doubt Jackson even sees it though. There's a mess. No draft picks. One building block. A total mess.

Building block is probably better than any current Sixer. Fact. Not here to say he's been great, he hasn't. But I didn't brig him up, and if you are going to toss this phrase out ad nauseam, don't get so prickly when it applies to your own little sandbox. No need. The lengths to defend the process simply know no end. And it's still a valid question. 20 years of GM'ing. What has BC ever won?

How long has Colangelo been an exec? How long has Phil?

So, too soon to tell?

Also, have Ive been on here puffing my chest out about either Colangelo?

You're the one that took offense to Phil stealing money for the next five years thought.

Building block is probably better than any current Sixer. Fact. Not here to say he's been great, he hasn't. But I didn't brig him up, and if you are going to toss this phrase out ad nauseam, don't get so prickly when it applies to your own little sandbox. No need. The lengths to defend the process simply know no end. And it's still a valid question. 20 years of GM'ing. What has BC ever won?

I really never used the word process all that much. There were/are far greater versions of a Hinkie zealot than me. You should check these cats out for a really good laugh.

Also, something else I don't understand about this place. Yea, you throw out a playful jab about the Colangelo's. I get it. But how come when one is thrown back it's a big deal and that poster is defensive? I have never quite understood this. And not just directed at you Dmil.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT