ADVERTISEMENT

Stands are totally empty

The band had their Christmas concert the night if the Liberty game.

ball-

Remember, 75% of alums give NOTHING back to the school. That is our primary problem. No ifs ands or buts. The football static is just a distraction to what is REALLY crippling our school. Lack of alum involvement. None of this would be an issue if our alums helped out financially and didn't just demand things.

Usmc, you know I love you, but you are guilty of some hyperbole in your posts on our alumni. While your stat is correct, what's left out is that a 27% giving rate is the envy of 95% of schools, as is our $450M (and climbing rapidly) endowment. Nothing is "crippling" Villanova - the institution has never been healthier.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

LGN-

I take no solace in being envied by 95% of the schools out there. Also, I borrowed a word from ball's post (crippling), that may have taken it a bit far I concede. Still, there is no reason Villanova cannot crest 30%. We have come very far in a short time. We still have a good distance to go. It is on us as alums. All of that said I wish we could clone guys like you! You're one of the good ones!

Originally posted by qwe009:

However, the fact that the villanova tuff guy mentality is to resort to insults instead of merit based discussion as to the biggest harm to villanova athletics is a telling take.
Maybe we would take you seriously if you took yourself seriously. You know it's not D2 football. You know less people care about Villanova soccer than football. You know what the Walter Payton award is. It's a tired act. We insult you because you constantly belittle every post on here, and are constantly spewing the same shit to get a rise out of the forum members. We get it. You don't like VU football. You are entitled to that opinion, but don't force it on us every time you post. You raise a few valid points, but mostly it's bullshit. Villanova football is not going anywhere.

Originally posted by Twyxx:

Originally posted by qwe009:

However, the fact that the villanova tuff guy mentality is to resort to insults instead of merit based discussion as to the biggest harm to villanova athletics is a telling take.
Maybe we would take you seriously if you took yourself seriously. You know it's not D2 football. You know less people care about Villanova soccer than football. You know what the Walter Payton award is. It's a tired act. We insult you because you constantly belittle every post on here, and are constantly spewing the same shit to get a rise out of the forum members. We get it. You don't like VU football. You are entitled to that opinion, but don't force it on us every time you post. You raise a few valid points, but mostly it's bullshit. Villanova football is not going anywhere.
Twyxx hits the nail on the head.
It is past time for qwe00X to cease posting here.

At FR Peter's wonderful Christmas party endowment at 501 m, 390 m raised so far toward the goal of 600m.
USMC our giving rate is climbing.
This post was edited on 12/17 7:03 PM by UncleEd

Ed-

I know the rate is going up. We have very talented people leading this campaign. They have been successful at every turn! No school will ever enjoy 100% giving. 30% plus is the next step. I think we can achieve that.

Fal-

I beat an old and tired drum around here (many call me Mr. Negativity). In person, and in social settings, I am actually pretty well adjusted. Looking into the future our only hedge against myriad "threats" is not sound financial footing but plentiful financial footing. Thankfully others see this too. I just do not like achieving a comfort level. I do not think such a thing exists when it comes to my alma mater. There is always work to be done. Regardless, thanks for helping out and making our beloved school as good as she can be!

Originally posted by AvalonFal:

Originally posted by VU82:
UncleEd - Yesterday was a huge day for finals at Villanova. Four different sessions. They didn't want to pull together a makeshift band, so they decided no band was better.
Wow! Was that the official response of the school? Finals day didn't seem to affect the team - all the players were there. I don't get how no band could be better than a smaller band. Having no band at such an important game just feeds into the feeling that Nova students just don't care about the football program.
Comparing football players showing up to the game to the band is laughable. The band is composed of non-music majors who are at VU to get a degree. Football players are paid to come to VU to play football.

Gwennie suckers everyone in. Every post he makes should stand alone. Solemente! Yingying.

Comparing football players showing up to the game to the band is laughable. The band is composed of non-music majors who are at VU to get a degree. Football players are paid to come to VU to play football.

"Paid" to come to VU to play football? I assume you mean a "free" college degree. And the majority of players who play at this level better get that degree because they're not going to play professionally.

ak - the band had enough members who did not have an exam. With a little effort a smaller band(pep band} could have and should have been at the game.

Right on Uncle Ed. Really sad but not all that surprising. Did note they were at the warm and toasty Pavillion on Sunday.

paschall - I agree that there should have been some sort of band there for the football game, but it is unfair to compare the band at the basketball game vs the football game. There were 4 sessions of finals on Saturday and NO finals on Sunday,

I read the post and couldn't stop laughing. This guy stops his web stream to count the fans. Really? I can see this face up against a monitor counting 1,2,3 oops he's a security guy,4,
5,etc.
The only thing emptier than the stands is this guy's head.

RUfor LIfe, with your reasoning, then 80% of teams playing FCSshould drop their programs. Attendence can be increased if the administration really wanted to. Maybe RU should drop their hoop program for lack of interest (and success) as well.

I get that Villanova doesn't draw great and with the success of the team they deserve at least 10k a game, but for those calling for the program to be abolished based on financials are not looking at the entire picture.

Villanova is in a unique situation where hoops is the big $$$ earner for the school. No reason that it shouldn't offset the costs of less profitable sports just like football at many schools do for other sports.

The heads at VU must understand that not every facet or event for the student body comes down to whether it makes $$$ or not. I do think the athletic department has to do a better job marketing a top 10 FCS program. I think if the normal crowd was 10k instead of 4k it would move the dial positively.

Talley is a class act from where I view and that program deserves all that they get. Villanova without football again would be a terrible thing.

The stands are basically empty which is a shame and a major embarrassment.
A number of things have to happen or the inevitable elimination of the program will happen, which would be a shame.
There has to be SOME promotion of the product - the Administration won't do it unless $$ is thrown at them - don't know how that would work, but I'm assuming there are many donors who could make their funds "talk", but i really don't know.
There has to be SOME modicum of decent tailgating allowed - the current scene is, quite frankly, a joke. The casual "fans" (student and nearby alumni) need to know that a Sat afternoon could be a fun time - hardcore fans don't need persuasion - the others do.
Apparently, nothing can be done about that stadium which is high school level at best.
Donor $$ and a "F##k you attitude towards Radnor Twp would go a long way, I would think. If retail shops and a (gasp) PAC can be built, tailgating and professional promo can't be? Ridiculous - do we all have the same narrow outlook as the Augustinians and the others who are afraid to rock the boat??
What is Ignite Change supposed to mean anyway?

Car- many good points. Allow me to comment
Most important Football is here to stay.
Construction of a new football building will begin in June 2015. 18m about 16m raised so far
VU, alumni parents and friends have been very good(donations) to the football program.
You may never see any promotion from the administration for football. They just don't care. So those of us who do care must work harder.
If the fact that the cost of this first class football building will be built with all new donations does not motivate the VU administration nothing will.
No band at the playoff games. A small thing, but it speaks volumes about what the administration thinks about football.
Fans who purchased season tailgate passes($250 for season) were charged $50) to park in the tailgate area for second game. No VIP for Liberty game. My guess VU did not bring in $1,000 bucks last Sat but lost $10,000 in good will.
Something must be done with the athletic administration if we want a truly first class football program.
However if the donors stay strong we will overcome.

Allow me to comment

Yes, I agree with you." We have seen the enemy and he is us" (stolen line from Pogo
happy.r191677.gif
).
No band, no promo, no anything from the head guys. Not as optimistic as you are re the future of the program. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.
Sadly, some of the answers to some of the existing problems sure seem solvable from my perspective, but nothing seems to happen.

As I have mentioned before, I am a fan and have attended some games but I am not a die-hard, so I don't intend to offend anyone with the following comments.

How/why in the hell did we solicit $16 million for a new football building while at the same time our flagship athletic program which is responsible for most of our revenue still has a woefully inadequate place to play its games?

The artist's renditions seem fascinating but a Pavilion upgrade seems to be nothing more than a pipe dream at this point. Lots of talk but that's about it.

The money is apparently out there if we were able to raise $16 million for a building that serves a program that most don't care about.

That's great (and I mean that sincerely).

Why can't that happen for men's basketball which is our bread and butter?

I guess it already happened with the Davis Center, but a Pavilion upgrade is a critical need, especially given the changing landscape of college athletics.

It's mildly encouraging to see the drawings, but I still have not seen a proposed timeline. Will we ever see an upgraded facility in our lifetimes?

Originally posted by Novacatt94:

It's mildly encouraging to see the drawings, but I still have not seen a proposed timeline. Will we ever see an upgraded facility in our lifetimes?
It depends on how old we are.

It's an expression.

Will we see this project completed within the next 5 years? 10? 20?

I am not optimistic.

Why start now? ;)

The Pavilion will happen, but we have a limited fundraising pool to target. Jim Davis just gave $50M to VSB, which seems like a better use of the funds regardless of our preferences. Villanova isn't over-populated with people with those kinds of means, and I'm sure we've already hit all of them up for the existing capital campaign priorities. The University isn't going to fund this out of debt, so it's going to take alumni stepping up to the plate. I think 10 years is probably realistic for an opening.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Our flagship program recently saw a basketball building built. The Davis Center. Football's turn. Both built with donations.

It's an expression.

I am not optimistic.
Yeah, I've heard of that expression.

5 years - no; 10 years - maybe; 20 years - yes.

The football building is going up before the Pavilion renovation because the father of a current football player gave 'Nova $10M specifically for a football building. That's why.

It's an expression.

I am not optimistic.
Yeah, I've heard of that expression.

5 years - no; 10 years - maybe; 20 years - yes.
Thanks for the clarification. I'd like to hear that from the administration, however.

Originally posted by centraljerseycat:
The football building is going up before the Pavilion renovation because the father of a current football player gave 'Nova $10M specifically for a football building. That's why.
Nice. That's great for the football program.

Now all we need to do is find a wealthy parent of a basketball player to be similarly generous.

What about all the ex-players now playing/coaching professionally. I'm sure they could pool a nice sum together.

Originally posted by NovaUSMC01:

What about all the ex-players now playing/coaching professionally. I'm sure they could pool a nice sum together.
What about our alums?
Yes, all of them, too. The admin has certainly known where to find me when they wanted to!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT