ADVERTISEMENT

Star Wars

Real adults are into fantasy sports and gambling. Sci Fi is shallow and pedantic.

You're comparing what I consider a financial investment to Luke f'n Skywalker? Child please.

I have an uncanny ability to predict star wars movie plots. It's unlike anyone I've ever met. I won't say how many units I've made gambling on this, but it has two commas.
Taking advantage of the Euro exchange rate again?

Just got back from the very first showing. The movie is the tits. It's a very good blend of modern technology and the more tangible elements that made the originals so good. No I wasn't dressed as a storm trooper and I generally hate almost all science fiction and super hero movies-Star Wars is different though. I won't spoil it for anyone-I'll leave that up to some other douche bag poster.

Saw it tonight. I thought it was very good. The plot is a little hasty and far-fetched at times. Definitely better than the prequels but not as good as ESB.

Arguably some mild spoilers below though I'll attempt to be fairly vague--but you probably shouldn't be reading this thread now that it's out if you haven't seen and aren't in the "I prefer watching dudes sit on each others faces" MMA crowd (cite to Bernard Hopkins there) .

I was happy with it overall, though UB's point that it was a remake of the orginal was apt -- similar to Creed in some ways. At the same time, given how the series has always focused heavily on familial relations and the limited number of Jedi/running in families/tendency to turn from good-evil (or back), can see doing that.

The girl that plays Rey was outstanding in her role, and leaves me hopeful for the next two, along with the final scene. Making the main character a female works with her casting and work there. And showing how the bad guy likely made himself completely bad going forward, no longer conflicted works even if pretty predictable. Good casting in that role as well.

Probably not PC to say it, but I thought the actor that plays Finn was the weakest of the new characters/actors that got a lot of screen time. Not Hayden Christensen bad, but not all that believable.

Carrie Fisher has not aged well (we all knew that, but probably worse than expected) and was hard to watch. Probably best that the other key character that didn't make it moved on as well, thought most of his lines were pretty forced and trite, served his purpose in this one overall. I'm thinking the one of the originals who can still do the best work is yet to come in the next couple films.

I liked it, so I watched it. It captured the essence of the original two without the hokey BS that pandered to children in the other four. Like Creed, it struck an almost perfect note between a play to nostalgia and being something new.

That said, anyone who reads the opening credits can pretty much figure out what's going to happen in the last scene.

I liked it, so I watched it. It captured the essence of the original two without the hokey BS that pandered to children in the other four. Like Creed, it struck an almost perfect note between a play to nostalgia and being something new.

That said, anyone who reads the opening credits can pretty much figure out what's going to happen in the last scene.

Intergalactic space conflict kind of your thing?

Which parts? The aliens, light sabers, laser guns or spaceships?

Well I hear you but I'm putting it in context of the whole SW story. Just the way they blew up that new Death Star so quickly didn't sit well with me. You mean to tell me that with all its might and superior technology the FO can't do a better job of protecting its assets? A failed stormtrooper can sneak in, push a button, disable its shields, and then 7 busted up X-wings can fly in, fire a few shots and just like that the whole thing is dust? Come on.

Also, I wish they explained more about went wrong with Han, Leia, and their son. That part seemed too quick.

I got a little dusty when Chewy slumped his shoulders after he realized what happened.

Well I hear you but I'm putting it in context of the whole SW story. Just the way they blew up that new Death Star so quickly didn't sit well with me. You mean to tell me that with all its might and superior technology the FO can't do a better job of protecting its assets? A failed stormtrooper can sneak in, push a button, disable its shields, and then 7 busted up X-wings can fly in, fire a few shots and just like that the whole thing is dust? Come on.

Also, I wish they explained more about went wrong with Han, Leia, and their son. That part seemed too quick.

I got a little dusty when Chewy slumped his shoulders after he realized what happened.

Agree. I was telling a friend that 3 out of 4 movies now had the same ending which involved destroying some huge planet by exploiting a weakness by a bunch of unqualified guys. What's the Star Wars equivalent of BB2N?

A failed stormtrooper can sneak in, push a button, disable its shields, and then 7 busted up X-wings can fly in, fire a few shots and just like that the whole thing is dust? Come on.

the-catch-eli-manning-to-david-tyree-super-bowl-xlii-part-3.gif

I have to think we will learn a lot about this in Episode 8. There is also supposedly a Han Solo movie that Disney will be making which may be made specifically to tell that story (not sure when it's supposed to take place though- (i.e. between Episode 6 & 7 or before Episode 4). I also assume they will explain more about Rey's back story. Having a night to sleep on it and let it sink in I'm liking what I saw last night more and more.

The Han Solo movie will be a prequel. Probably starring some jag off like Channing Tatum.

Did anyone think that weird female character with goggles was Yoda's ex-wife? Or his sister?

Did anyone think that weird female character with goggles was Yoda's ex-wife? Or his sister?

I did think that was a possibility. Fair points about implausibility of destroying the planet, also goes to remake aspect. That said, it was really just a vehicle to introduce the new characters in a similar setting, let the old ones transition them in a bit, close the book on some of the old--and reinvigorate the franchise by making a movie that didn't stink. Mission accomplished. Similar to the first trilogy, with all that out of the way seems like they've set themselves up to make an even better movie with the second installment.

Also, having that thing in play also actually gives a little bit of weight to the paper thin plot -- good reason for Luke to stay in hiding with that out there and not look like a total p-$$y, could have just blown up whatever planet he was on.

I went to see it yesterday at KoP. People started applauding for each of the first shots of Han, Leia, etc. Did that happen when anyone else saw it?

Took my 4 year old son tonight and was prepared to leave if he didn't like it or was upset. Granted, his first movie in a theater was Guardian's of the Galaxy so I wasn't too worried. We stayed the entire time and he absolutely loved it. I loved it as well and I don't even like Star Wars that much - I can't tell you the last time I watched one of the movies and didn't see the whole prequel trilogy.

It was a really good sci-fi/action movie that didn't slow down at any point. Some of the lines were so-so, Carrie Fisher reminded me of a B-movie actress as she can no longer emote, and there were similar themes to the previous movies but the rest of the movie outweighed the bad by a large amount.

There were a few moments when my son either clapped or grabbed me and looked at me with a big smile and pointed something out. That alone has sold this movie as a great one to me.

Finally saw it tonight. After watching all of the originals recently, I really don't get anyone (not people on this board, mostly whiners on IMDB) who is complaining about plot holes or inconsistencies in TFA.

The original 3 make absolutely no sense at times, but that's because, at heart, they are movies for kids. Which is what they should be. The grown men whining about how this ripped off A New Hope too much fail to realize that this was the true introduction franchise for anyone under 12 years old. And it knocked the ball out of the park, while managing to entertain adults and avoid the tacky dialogue of the prequels.

I had no idea there were people upset about the casting until reading user reviews on IMDB. Not gonna get into it but I found every new character likable and wanting to know more about their background

Reactions: obriend1
Snottie nailed it. It is what it is - a fantasy movie geared towards the family. We're not talking about a movie that is trying to win Oscars. We're talking about a movie that is trying to win hearts.

I liked the originals so I watched the new one.

Overall I echo a lot of what Mr. Drippen said. There was indeed an awful lot of overlap with the first one, but who cares? It was entertaining, it was suspenseful, and rey did a great, great job.

Since drippen griped about carrie fisher I will gripe about mark hamil. hes old now but did not age into what looks like a wise old jedi. he just looks like an old mark hamil. not too much you can do about that, but it is something that bothered me.

other than a former storm trooper somehow being adept enough with a light saber to hang with a sith lord, i thought it was a great flick. no chance that Finn could've lasted that long.

all in all, it was outstanding. paid homage to the original. enough nostalgic moments for the old school fans. story line was much like the first, which only adds to it. then it set up some strong new characters with the Luke teaser to have you excited for the next installments.

other than a former storm trooper somehow being adept enough with a light saber to hang with a sith lord, i thought it was a great flick. no chance that Finn could've lasted that long.

all in all, it was outstanding. paid homage to the original. enough nostalgic moments for the old school fans. story line was much like the first, which only adds to it. then it set up some strong new characters with the Luke teaser to have you excited for the next installments.

All in all though he was a half-assed Sith. It's also why Rey schooled him and she just discovered the Force 2 hours earlier.

Since drippen griped about carrie fisher I will gripe about mark hamil. hes old now but did not age into what looks like a wise old jedi. he just looks like an old mark hamil. not too much you can do about that, but it is something that bothered me.

Really? That was one of my favorite parts-I thought he looked bad ass. She hands the light saber and looks at him as if to say-"Some bad sh*t just went down-now take this light saber and go f*ck this bastard up!"

On another note, am I the only one who thought JJ Abrams may have ripped the entire final scene from the Led Zeppelin flick "The Song Remains The Same". During Jimmy Page's guitar solo during Dazed & Confused & he's climbing the mountain to find the wizard turn around? When I saw the movie that's immediately what I thought of.

i think you can explain the Rey skills away by the old "she's real strong with the force" or some crap. she seems to get stronger in her abilities the more she's around Kylo Ren. like he tries to pull info from her mind, and she turns it around and reads his mind. at first, he was overpowering her in the saber battle, but she eventually just turned it around and dominated him. the force is so strong in her that she can almost reverse engineer force abilities from other masters.

i think you can explain the Rey skills away by the old "she's real strong with the force" or some crap. she seems to get stronger in her abilities the more she's around Kylo Ren. like he tries to pull info from her mind, and she turns it around and reads his mind. at first, he was overpowering her in the saber battle, but she eventually just turned it around and dominated him. the force is so strong in her that she can almost reverse engineer force abilities from other masters.

I like this interpretation - she spent time literally inside Kylo's head because of his decision to use her instead of BB-8 to get the information. Her prowess vs. him is a result of his emotional instability in various ways just as much as her natural abilities.

And who's to say Finn isn't a little force sensitive? Even so, droids with electrostaffs held their own against Obi Wan Kenobi in II or III so it's possible to put up a fight.

Luke does a handstand and lifts some rocks for a few days, ignores Yoda's advice, and then goes to fight Vader who came up in a time when Jedi were everywhere - while Kylo learned from Luke and Snoke (who's origins are unclear. Obviously, Kylo isn't much of a Sith lord because his Jedi competition is nearly non-existent up until now. As Snoke said at the end "time for him to complete his training".

Man I am a huge nerd and am proving gdpg right

Loved the new movie.

Though she was awesome, better than expected. Finn story line is entertaining, has to be Lando's son right? Was forced to be storm trooper, wasnt lando just left out to dry?

Really like Kylo, if Vader and Cry Baby Krauser had a child it would be Kylo. Snoke looks like a lord of the rings dude and it bothered me.

Han Solo was bad ass hombre, wil miss RIP.

i guess you can explain it if the storm troopers are versed in some sword training. didn't really think of that. it makes even more sense if Ren is more of this brute force and not nuanced in the arts just yet. i do doubt Finn has any special Force abilities. Lando didn't have any force abilities, so i dont think that connection qualifies it, but it's neat as a possibility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT