ADVERTISEMENT

State of the Union

Originally posted by adp98:
Two of my partners left their old firm and couldn't agree on a name. Every circle, monument and DC name was taken. They flipped a coin and the guy who won owned a farm in WV. They used the name of the creek near the farm. I joined them after the fact.
I like the name. I recently (and by recently I mean over a year ago) merged my tiny operation with another one, and to this day we cannot agree ona name. Pain in the ass. It's the third time I've been part of naming a company and each time is painful.

But just to clarify, you didnt actually start it. You left your old position after the founding partners began the firm? Not minimilizing here, just trying to understand how this particular venture began and grew. Bit of a hobby of mine. FAscinating to get the stories on how good businesses start.

That's correct. This is my second one. I was an equity partner in another firm, sold my equity and then joined this one. It was an incredible learning experience. Going through that process was incredibly stressful and provided a real world view in how business works. Very cool to have done it so young. Joined the new one about 18 months in and taken it to the fastest growing firm in DC 3 quarters running. The first one was a real learning experience and made me appreciate having the first dollar in. Helped in second go round. Which is why I have such an appreciation for anyone who does it. Good luck on your new venture.

Justice Ginsburg sums up America's reaction to another Obama SOTU:

B7xBJr2IcAAIXCt.jpg

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Originally posted by SnottieDrippen:
As for the SOTU, I didn't watch it, but all I'm seeing is the same old reaction: old white people complaining about the state our country is in. I look at the pictures from tonight and I see a room overwhelmingly full of old white people who make al the decisions for us, then I think about the overwhelmingly old and white population which makes up the private sector's biggest influencers,

Mind boggling how these people are all so upset with what's happening when they have been the ones who have made the decisions which got us to this point. People just need something to complain about I guess, even if it's their own ways of operating
I love this "old white people" horseshit, as if one's opinions are no longer valid regardless of merit simply due to being Caucasian.

That's correct. This is my second one. I was an equity partner in another firm, sold my equity and then joined this one. It was an incredible learning experience. Going through that process was incredibly stressful and provided a real world view in how business works. Very cool to have done it so young. Joined the new one about 18 months in and taken it to the fastest growing firm in DC 3 quarters running. The first one was a real learning experience and made me appreciate having the first dollar in. Helped in second go round. Which is why I have such an appreciation for anyone who does it. Good luck on your new venture.
And so I am assuming you had a moveable piece of revenue that your were able to bring along, or one that would soon follow, and in exchange the two founders gave you some equity in exchange for instant growth?

My venture is not really new - just partnered with another industry vet. We do the same thing but different aspects of it. Partner is more lead generation and hammering the daily 'happening now' stuff and I do more of the out of office meet in person stuff. I'm like Jerry Maguire when I'm in the room, but just awful at dialing for dollars. Both are critical and neither are that much fun, but it's a living I guess.

Correct. The challenge is to untangle from the old situation, keep it and start anew. That process takes a lot of time, skill and sleepless nights. As well as considerable risk.

94, I kind of understand the rhetoric though because as it obviously doesn't discount that person's views/opinions, the country is rapidly becoming more diverse and that isn't exactly representative in big government. So alot of the decisions being made for the bottom 80% have only ever experienced life in the top 20% and either don't try or don't want to understand what goes on down there. ADP, congrats on all the success. Are you having another child anytime soon? Possibly another Nanny slot opening up? If so is it an inquire within type of thing or can I just post my resume on BW for you to view later.

Also, Dmill, don't know if you're just going at ADP for the hell of it, but I dont understand where you think that he favors one part over another. And he definitely didn't say any of the points you brought up about the GOP. Yes he is very clear that Obama is not the guy for him but I can't imagine he wouldn't be open to a good leader regardless of party. I'm praying that the two party system is destroyed sometime in my lifetime. If it happens it might be because some really really really bad stuff has gone down within the country which would obviously suck but in the end, if we could survive, I think it's pretty obvious that we would be better off without it.

Tweet of the night from author Jeremy Scahill:

jeremy scahill @jeremyscahill

Serious question: are there gatherings in other countries where members of Parliament or Congress ask for autograph of the head of state?

Correct. The challenge is to untangle from the old situation, keep it and start anew. That process takes a lot of time, skill and sleepless nights. As well as considerable risk.
What was the impetus to move? Was it more equity(hence more your own thing) - liking new partners more or disliking some in the old place? Did you old place try to keep you? Did it get sticky with you taking clients? What time frame are we talking about from initial conversations to sitting at your new desk?

Without prying of course. Dont need anything too detailed. I think I have some general understanding of your industry in that regard.

This post was edited on 1/21 8:59 AM by Ninetynine5.0

One other thing to kind of further my point about not enough jobs and technology. Pretty soon (it's already happening but not on a massive scale) people will be able to order all of their food from tablets at the table and not have to deal with a waiter/waitress. Obviously there will still be a need for cooks, food runners and management but the death of the service industry as we know it is on the horizon. Alot of these people are uneducated, under educated or went to college but couldn't find any other job. What happens when these jobs go by the wayside? There isn't really a gigantic market for people of that skill set. Just one of the many industries that will start to suffer as technology advances and the people will suffer more as we have no industry in which to place them in.

Originally posted by selmore1:
One other thing to kind of further my point about not enough jobs and technology. Pretty soon (it's already happening but not on a massive scale) people will be able to order all of their food from tablets at the table and not have to deal with a waiter/waitress. Obviously there will still be a need for cooks, food runners and management but the death of the service industry as we know it is on the horizon. Alot of these people are uneducated, under educated or went to college but couldn't find any other job. What happens when these jobs go by the wayside? There isn't really a gigantic market for people of that skill set. Just one of the many industries that will start to suffer as technology advances and the people will suffer more as we have no industry in which to place them in.
It will create more technology jobs then.

Originally posted by Novacatt94:
As for the SOTU, I didn't watch it, but all I'm seeing is the same old reaction: old white people complaining about the state our country is in. I look at the pictures from tonight and I see a room overwhelmingly full of old white people who make al the decisions for us, then I think about the overwhelmingly old and white population which makes up the private sector's biggest influencers,

Mind boggling how these people are all so upset with what's happening when they have been the ones who have made the decisions which got us to this point. People just need something to complain about I guess, even if it's their own ways of operating
I love this "old white people" horseshit, as if one's opinions are no longer valid regardless of merit simply due to being Caucasian.
I'm actually saying that Caucasian opinions are the most validated ones. If whites aren't to blame for the choices our government has made, then who is? All I'm saying is our group is the most represented by far, yet our group is also the one complaining the most. Essentially - I want us to stop pointing fingers

I had older much more established partners. They had made their money in a few different industries. As a result, I learned a ton. We have a great business and made good money. However, I wanted to be them and not work with them as the new guy. Realized my ceiling was higher and only way to not settle and maximize my own worth was to go it in another venture. It was a huge risk with my 3 kid in 4 years. You can imagine when I told my wife the plan was to take a massive pay cut, take a risk on a new venture and have no guarantee on the return of my old equity. I could have stayed in the same spot as it was great. However, I simply didn't see a scenario where my growth and worth could be maximized with limited ownership and not being the first dollar in. There guys had lots of businesses and ours was just one. There is value in that model as it's safer. However, your upside is limited. I simply made a bet on myself.

Three words: Learn to type.

I had older much more established partners. They had made their money in a few different industries. As a result, I learned a ton. We have a great business and made good money. However, I wanted to be them and not work with them as the new guy. Realized my ceiling was higher and only way to not settle and maximize my own worth was to go it in another venture. It was a huge risk with my 3 kid in 4 years. You can imagine when I told my wife the plan was to take a massive pay cut, take a risk on a new venture and have no guarantee on the return of my old equity. I could have stayed in the same spot as it was great. However, I simply didn't see a scenario where my growth and worth could be maximized with limited ownership and not being the first dollar in. There guys had lots of businesses and ours was just one. There is value in that model as it's safer. However, your upside is limited. I simply made a bet on myself.
I went out on my own at I think 26 or 27. For better or for worse. I seem to be a bit anti authority so I can understand this. Hasnt always worked out but for the most part it beats punching a clock for me at least. Bold move for you, but I am sure looking back you know it was not that hard a decision. Yes, hindsight is always an call, but this seemed like a no brainer. I know lots of people do well working for other people, I just could never figure that out.

I'm actually saying that Caucasian opinions are the most validated ones. If whites aren't to blame for the choices our government has made, then who is? All I'm saying is our group is the most represented by far, yet our group is also the one complaining the most. Essentially - I want us to stop pointing fingers
It's not even remotely a racial issue.

I'm pretty sure that I have a right to be concerned about the direction of our country, regardless of the fact that "old white people" are in power and that I happen to be white.

Now that we have a half-white half black President, is anyone allowed to complain anymore?

It's not even remotely a racial issue.

I'm pretty sure that I have a right to be concerned about the direction of our country, regardless of the fact that "old white people" are in power and that I happen to be white.

Now that we have a half-white half black President, is anyone allowed to complain anymore?
I agree it's not a racial issue. This isn't something which is dividing our country race wise. I just find it ironic how the decision makers are white, yet the fingers are always pointed at those who have little to no voice when it comes to policy and process when things go wrong. If we (white people) want things to be a certain way, it's pretty obvious we have the ability to make it that way.

I'm being childish and am basically trying to get a rise out of you guys - I'll admit it. I'm just sick of the complaining when things really aren't that bad. We have built an incredible country with an absurdly high standard of living. People who basically stare at excel files all day between reading deadspin articles and go to a weekly meeting get paid more than 98% of the world. We have it so damn easy. That's no to say there aren't hard workers and people who are passionate about making a difference - but the truth is we cruise through life.

as for the president, he sucks just as bad as the rest of the room. I think that half of his race has a shittier situation though and their complaints bother me less (provided they come from good members of that community)

It's really a pretty scary time to be growing and in your early to mid 20s. I make pretty good money for someone my age, btw $80-100k, and I know I'm paying out the ass for benefits and programs that I have no chance of ever receiving. There is a mountain of debt that has to be paid off which keeps getting pushed further and further down the road that my generation is eventually going to have to pay off because it's coming to a head soon and barely anyone will even talk about it. Pension liabilities are bankrupting every state and there's absolutely no solution that can be reached without aggressively attacking the problem but no one will do it because they'll have no chance of getting elected. SS and Medicare have about a 1% chance of being there but we're going to keep paying into it like nothing is wrong there. And I don't care about paying for social programs and the like that help out the less fortunate, I think they're a very good thing. I just can't stand my money going to places where there are clear issues that are just not being addressed and I'm going to wind up paying for even more down the line. One thing that could help to start solving the problem is corporations is corporations started paying a wage representative of cost of living increases and inflation. I know it's not that simple because it will just raise cost of living due to market forces but it's a start. For ex., in NY we'll make more than someone in Philly but the amount is nowhere near proportional to the actual cost of living. I don't know exactly how this can be legislated or even if it should but it could be a good starting point for buoying the middle class.
selmore1, that was a superb post. I'd like to take the liberty of trying to add a little context to your post based on our age difference. The two biggest driversof our fiscal problems are Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid. A lot of people don't know that Social Security was originally proposed primarily as a widow's benefit partially as repayment for the lives lost by the "Greatest Generation" because of all the lives lost in WW2. It was based on life expectancies at that time so setting the age for collection of benefits at 65 was pretty much a hoax since the life expectancy back then was 65 + 9 months. So, the biggest problem is, except for the one change made in the 80's, there haven't been any actuarial adjustments as life expectancies have risen over the years. I think the Greatest Generation earned that program with their work and blood by getting us through the Great Depression and WW2. Medicare was originally sold to the public as a modern day version of a supplemental health care type coverage and Medicaid as health insurance for the very poor. Like all government programs, it grew and grew and made more and more promises that the politicians knew could never be met the way it is funded. My parents passed on to me a belief that the government is there to defend us and that they worked "for" the people and were, therefore, good for our citizens. I and my peers believed this through most of our lives - let's say up until 911. We have lived through 2 of the greatest economic expansions in the history of the country under President Reagan and then again under President Clinton. So, we went along fat, dumb and happy trusting our government unaware of the warning signs of what was on the economic horizon because times were so good. We worked hard and gave as much to our kids as we could to insure that they had a better life than us. My generation should be called "The Oblivious Generation." Now, myself and most of my friends my age realize we have been lied to as the government more and more has become an impediment to individual efforts to improve your life and, at the same time, has intruded into and taken away many of our rights. That brings me to what you said in your post. I think it's fair to call your generation "The Screwed Generation." You've been betrayed by those who have come before you. I don't and will never believe this was intentional or selfish at least not by your parents or grandparents and their peers. There is nothing more selfish in humanity than loving and protecting your children. Any parent would die to protect you. We simply missed the signs of how corrupt the government has become. I would vote every elected official at every level of government out of office tomorrow if I could. But, quite honestly, the one thing in your post that is upsetting is that you seem to have a sense of inevitability about where we're headed. If I were your age the least I would do is become a political activist and try to convince anyone I could that it's time for a real voter revolt in our country. Your generation MUST take control of the situation for your own good as well as the good of the entire country. If you don't, there is no hope. I won't be here to see the outcome. But, I sincerely wish and pray that you and your generation stands up and takes the country back from the lowlife political class that is destroying out great nation.

This post was edited on 1/22 7:38 AM by tjc3844

Social Security was started in the mid 1930's before anyone was even thinking about the war. Had to do far more with the depression results than WW2. It was of course expanded a few times to help WW2 vets. But the program was not at all about them in the beginning, mostly because they did not exist yet as a demographic in need.

And you left out defense as the other big expense. Around 800B annual.

Look who gets elected, Boehner, Reid, McConnell - these types. They are not new faces. Selmore and drippen make good points. We just had an adm that actually said the words 'deficits don't matter' then governed exactly that way.

Not sure how you even address that.

Social Security is a simple fix that could be done of the back of a bar napkin in 22 minutes. It will happen soon because it must. The bigger issue is Medicaid and Medicare. Good luck on that one.

I agree these things need to be addressed and that they will be relatively soon. I just don't buy that it's going to to be the downfall of this country/our way of. Life when they are. I think people think that these debts and the like are literally going to be paid from our pockets and that we will have 10 years with no food because we are paying china money back, it's just silly fear mongering

It was not my intent to bring up all spending problems, 5.0. Everyone knows the programs I mentioned represent the two most serious problems the economy faces. Paying off the national debt is another topic all together. My post was to put some of the old v. young generations blame game into a more proper perspective and encourage the young generation to stand up and fight rather than give into an "it's inevitable" scenario.

Tjc, how can we stand up and fight when anyone who stands up to the government in the form of protest is immediately labeled a whiner or a communist?

Any one from our generation with a "head on their shoulders" is working at a big 4 firm working 60 hours a week or traveling throughout the country then getting blackout drunk on the weekends to distract themselves from the futility of their control over their lives. It's great!

Let me add two more categories of people who are young and considered to have a "head on their shoulders":

1. They learned to code and are making the next app which let's you see other people naked in the most revolutionary way. This is our best shot at making a lot of money fast.

2. Their dad gave them a lot of money to start luxurious life in a big city and they have a PR job. They have dinner parties every Friday night at their apartment (or another friends, probably a rotating schedule) with other well off 20 something's, which shows how mature they are. They get drunk around a dinner table instead of a crowded bar- it's a big step.

The ballot box, Snottie. If you don't have any time to devote to it, vote against all incumbents. Your generation is known for its mastery of social media. Spread the word. Start a voting revolution. Speak up. Go to campaign rallies and force candidates to offer real solutions not just the same old horse shit! I don't know your situation, Snottie, and it's none of my business anyway. But, I can tell you as a guy who worked 60-70 a week when I owned my mortgage company, if you want something bad enough, you can always find a little time for it. My generation is passing away. But, yours and your parents generations can change things to make them a lot better.

Originally posted by tjc3844:
The ballot box, Snottie. If you don't have any time to devote to it, vote against all incumbents. Your generation is known for its mastery of social media. Spread the word. Start a voting revolution. Speak up. Go to campaign rallies and force candidates to offer real solutions not just the same old horse shit! I don't know your situation, Snottie, and it's none of my business anyway. But, I can tell you as a guy who worked 60-70 a week when I owned my mortgage company, if you want something bad enough, you can always find a little time for it. My generation is passing away. But, yours and your parents generations can change things to make them a lot better.
th

I appreciate the advice TJC. I work long hours and certainly am passionate about what I am doing. I hope the right candidates come along and that the social media activists devote their time to real activism (cause it seems like the majority don't have real jobs). Like I said early in this thread, I think the best thing we can do is continue to work hard and secure our personal future as best as possible. My salary is not as high as I would wish and I have manageable debt, but the risk of doing something like starting my own business is just too much. My best option is keep busting my ass for someone else and see where it takes me. Right now I work 55+ hour weeks for a company looking to go public in 2-3 years. Our cofounders will be near billionaires at current valuation. I have a small piece of equity but the company is basically 20 people who will cash in big time and then a bunch of 20 something's being underpaid trying to make a name for theirselves. I think it's a microcosm of a lot of our bigger issues. A few big players who are already rich negotiate huge deals, let some desperate young people do all of the work and deal with the stress then they put their feet on their desk and fire anyone who isn't "passionate" enough (overworked, underpaid, little hope of getting to the next level)

Snottie, how is your situation a "problem". You created nothing, didn't raise capital, didn't launch the idea or take the initial risk. Seems to me you're in a very nice spot a you should be thankful for the equity opportunity. Sounds like a very entitled view of the world.

Snottie, how is your situation a "problem". You created nothing, didn't raise capital, didn't launch the idea or take the initial risk. Seems to me you're in a very nice spot a you should be thankful for the equity opportunity. Sounds like a very entitled view of the world.
Agreed, goddamn millennial.

When did I say my situation was a problem? I said what is happening at our company is a microcosm of the I country's issues, I said that my salary is enough and that I live comfortably - my whole stance throughout this bread was that everyone is complaining too much about our relatively easy lives,

The point I was making is that we don't have time to change the government because we are too busy securing our personal futures. Which, as I stated, is the best thing we can possibly do(as opposed to being activists).

The nature of our company is a problem though. As we get bigger, people who have either inherited a lot of wealth or have already made millions are coming in (with ZERO experience as this is a new idea) and giving us (people who have been there for years building this new idea) direction and then sitting back and telling us we don't know what we're doing. All they care about is negotiating thse monstrous deals, which, yes, are increasing our valuation and look good on paper. But their greed is going to be the ultimate demise of this company and what has been created. All they want to do is expand expand expand while we are still trying to build the infrastructure and systems which would make this thing sustainable and have a natural impact on the world. Instead, they are only seeing dollar signs (which they already have plenty of) and are going to just do whatever they can to fool people into getting this to the IPO and then they will cash out. They don't care about the people or our product. They don't care about firing me at any time even though I have put more of my life into this than any of them except the cofounders. I've seen good people go down here just because they spoke up and said we're expanding too quickly.

I'll be fine and it will always look good on my resume. But if this doesn't work, I'm going to be not much further along in my career and have been underpaid substantially for years, while they will have their millions to sit back on. The bottom line is - my hard work will pay off, but their relationships and connections will always pay off better. I know the world isn't a meritocracy, but we should aspire for it to be,

But their money is paying your salary. Without their money you have no job.

Scottie, I understand what you're saying from your point of view. But, I think you're vastly understating what the founders of your company had to accomplish to get where they are. I've started some businesses. It was pretty damn scary and I had every cent I had in the world invested in them. Thank God they turned out well for me. Of course, I have no idea who these other new people that have come into your company are but certainly your founders, if there experiences were like mine, deserve everything they get. I had lots of sleepless nights and worked ridiculous long hours to get my companies off the ground. I think you should try to consider t a little bit from the founders point of view. It sounds like they must be pretty decent to have given you an equity interest.

Adp, you are 100% correct. Why can't workers like me, who create revenue of at least 15x their salary, criticize the methods with which these investors/officers operate? Blind acceptance of protocol sounds like something you would expect out of the military. This isn't the military - a well structured organization where the superiors have earned their way to the top through years of experience and accolades - it's a new organization where the people in the trenches (like me) actually have the most experience and understanding of how the organization works. If you want to put your money into something that you think will be successful, I think you should listen to those who are doing all of the groundwork for insight as opposed to giving uncontainable direction and then firing people who politely disagree.

It's just not logical from my perspective. And it's not like you can just replace someone in a company like this, you can't fire someone who is the head of the construction department and replace them with someone who worked for a big name. Because when you're at a startup and your founders told you "just make it happen" and never put the proper systems and infrastructure in place, the only people who could possibly understand what is gong on are people who either were there in the beginning or who have worked there for 6+ months. You have 3 years until IPO - but they fire and fire,

I'm not a whiner. I've never said these things anywhere but here. Don't get into it with friends because I do believe in this company and I do want it to succeed. But this is my first glimpse into how big money truly operates and I am not very impressed. It's alarming and explains why there is such a disparity in income. These people don't work harder or think better than any other smart person. They are just impervious to failure because if something goes wrong, they can point the finger at someone else. If something goes wrong on my end, despite not being provided with even 40% of the proper systems, support, time and financing, I am cut loose,

And let's say things do go right. Let's say we go public after doubling in size each of the next 3 years. Then, I will have a salary at best $15k more than I make now. I have equity worth about 1.25x my current salary (all great things which I will be very happy with!) and I will still be going to pedal to the medal, constantly looking over my shoulder fearing I might be cut loose. The leaders will have equity in amounts unfathomable to me, they will be cozy and proud of what their money has done, and they will be associated with a huge brand. All because they inherited a lot of money and have been in positions throughout their life where they could not fail. They are essentially people with good personalities who talk about what we do vaguely - they talk in big ideas and use catch phrases which might spark some inspiration for 15 minutes at the company retreat. But there is little substance there - very little real understanding of how the company works and how it goes from point A to point Z.

I think there was a time in this country when your input of effort equalled your output of success. The more and more I see today, the more I am convinced that the game is rigged. Like I said, I am happy with my life and my job overall. I'm proud. But I'm also less of a believer in the a American a Dream than I have ever been, and I think it's a result of the private sector, not the president or congress or anyone else the media blames.

Adp, you are 100% correct. Why can't workers like me, who create revenue of at least 15x their salary, criticize the methods with which these investors/officers operate? Blind acceptance of protocol sounds like something you would expect out of the military. This isn't the military - a well structured organization where the superiors have earned their way to the top through years of experience and accolades - it's a new organization where the people in the trenches (like me) actually have the most experience and understanding of how the organization works. If you want to put your money into something that you think will be successful, I think you should listen to those who are doing all of the groundwork for insight as opposed to giving uncontainable direction and then firing people who politely disagree.

It's just not logical from my perspective. And it's not like you can just replace someone in a company like this, you can't fire someone who is the head of the construction department and replace them with someone who worked for a big name. Because when you're at a startup and your founders told you "just make it happen" and never put the proper systems and infrastructure in place, the only people who could possibly understand what is gong on are people who either were there in the beginning or who have worked there for 6+ months. You have 3 years until IPO - but they fire and fire,

I'm not a whiner. I've never said these things anywhere but here. Don't get into it with friends because I do believe in this company and I do want it to succeed. But this is my first glimpse into how big money truly operates and I am not very impressed. It's alarming and explains why there is such a disparity in income. These people don't work harder or think better than any other smart person. They are just impervious to failure because if something goes wrong, they can point the finger at someone else. If something goes wrong on my end, despite not being provided with even 40% of the proper systems, support, time and financing, I am cut loose,

And let's say things do go right. Let's say we go public after doubling in size each of the next 3 years. Then, I will have a salary at best $15k more than I make now. I have equity worth about 1.25x my current salary (all great things which I will be very happy with!) and I will still be going to pedal to the medal, constantly looking over my shoulder fearing I might be cut loose. The leaders will have equity in amounts unfathomable to me, they will be cozy and proud of what their money has done, and they will be associated with a huge brand. All because they inherited a lot of money and have been in positions throughout their life where they could not fail. They are essentially people with good personalities who talk about what we do vaguely - they talk in big ideas and use catch phrases which might spark some inspiration for 15 minutes at the company retreat. But there is little substance there - very little real understanding of how the company works and how it goes from point A to point Z.

I think there was a time in this country when your input of effort equalled your output of success. The more and more I see today, the more I am convinced that the game is rigged. Like I said, I am happy with my life and my job overall. I'm proud. But I'm also less of a believer in the a American a Dream than I have ever been, and I think it's a result of the private sector, not the president or congress or anyone else the media blames.

One more thing ADP - these people have all joined within the past year; they are investors who will only invest if they get a position within the company. We could have kept building at a reasonable rate and I would have kept earning the salary I made before they joined. All their money did was make it possible to buy more capital (work more than doubling with little increase in efficiency due to poor systems) while my department has either shrunk or remained the same size as when I started. Essentially, we were building a product at a sustainable rate but then the words IPO sprung up and the rich hyenas started circling.

TJC, I have little qualm with our founders. They certainly busted their asses for the first 2 years, and one continues to do so while the other is the "face". My problem is with these new people coming in with money already lining their pockets, tossing a few million at our founders and exchanging it for power. In a field where they have zero clue - acting like experts. And it's not like they're stupid. But they think that because a concept makes sense on paper that it is immediately applicable to a business, and they act like spoiled brats when we tell them that their obvious insight has been considered before - then they react to that by telling us that "winners get it done" . It's comical sometimes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT