ADVERTISEMENT

Sure to piss off Ball & all his alts.....

Mainliner II

VUSports.com Legend
Apr 25, 2006
NCAA discussing the return of Joe Paterno's wins.......finally realized that never should have been done.......everybody agrees with this, right......
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Paterno wins......

You are proud of this?

Seriously?

Guy covered up child rape for a decade. And you think he should be praised?

Amazing. Shut down college athletics altogether if this happens. The good that comes from college athletics cannot be outweighed by the cult mentality at taxpayer funded schools for criminal corruption.

Urban Meyer still employed? Buckeyepaulie told me urban Meyer was the biggest cheater ever.

Originally posted by Mainliner II:
NCAA discussing the return of Joe Paterno's wins.......finally realized that never should have been done.......everybody agrees with this, right......
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Not sure how they can justify returning the wins to JoePa. The guy committed suicide because of the scandal and the shame he brought to himself/family/psu. I'm actually torn on whether it was an honorable suicide or a cowardly move. Leaning coward, but what he did was awful and at least he recognized it.

First I heard about the suicide..........thought it was the cancer he had been battling for a few years.

I heard it was suicide. I dunno, thought that was common knowledge. Strange coincidence he died a couple weeks after it happened.

it just shows that in america there is no real punishment for anything. the NCAA or Feds or whoever had a chance to make an example of PSU and they went light on them. some fines, bowl ban for two years, some scholarships and wins taken away and now returned. no biggie. the catholic church has been covering this stuff up for years no reason american universities cant as well.

its one big joke. kinda like when Avon Barksdale only does 2 of his 8 years in season two of the Wire.

Originally posted by novabball2:

its one big joke. kinda like when Avon Barksdale only does 2 of his 8 years in season two of the Wire.
Season 2 does kinda blow.

there are talks to replace the statue as well.

what are they gonna do with it? keep it in a shed for the next 100 years?

i guess this is all forgotten? scary that such a big story is forgotten and its business as usual at PSU. like nothing happened.

Originally posted by Mainliner II:
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Can the NCAA restore the lives of the kids involved? That would be really good too.

NCAA officially restored 112 wins today making Joe PA the winningest D 1 football coach.

i dont get it. why even punish him to start with if you are just gonna restore everything?

NCAA officially restored 112 wins today making Joe PA the winningest D 1 football coach.

i dont get it. why even punish him to start with if you are just gonna restore everything?
My guess is that causing him to die made them feel kind of bad.

Originally posted by JMerc2:

My guess is that causing him to die made them feel kind of bad.
Him dying made me feel good.

Agree with Ball. Just shut it all down.

I feel like Merc here....I just can't fathom this. Why do PSU fans spend so much energy defending a guy who could've stopped a sexual predator (2002-2011) but didn't? How many rapes could've been prevented during this time?

No matter where you stand on this issue one thing is for certain, The NCAA comes off looking more inept than it did prior to this fiasco.

I really haven't kept up with this. Who can explain it as simple as possible? Was this all about people being punished for Sandusky's actions?

I really don't care about restored wins, bowl bans, scholarship losses, etc....

Do PSU fans really believe that JoPa never knew that Sandusky preyed on young boys on PSU's campus?

I'm the Faculty Athletic Rep (NCAA-mandated position) for our school. Part of my responsibility is to attend conferences and otherwise be made aware of what is happening with the NCAA. My opinion-----the NCAA is a spineless and extraordinarily bureaucratic organization.

Originally posted by LizReed:
I'm the Faculty Athletic Rep (NCAA-mandated position) for our school. Part of my responsibility is to attend conferences and otherwise be made aware of what is happening with the NCAA. My opinion-----the NCAA is a spineless and extraordinarily bureaucratic organization.
Interesting. You would know better than anyone around here. Decision reversal is never a comfortable thing to do, but wow, talk about a high vis retreat.

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:
Originally posted by wcburrs87:

Do PSU fans really believe that JoPa never knew that Sandusky preyed on young boys on PSU's campus?
Sickeningly so, yes.
What does this have to do with his wins? Did he gain a competitive advantage somehow?

Originally posted by CWertz:

Sickeningly so, yes.
What does this have to do with his wins? Did he gain a competitive advantage somehow?
No one is surprised you don't get it.

Sickeningly so, yes.
So, instead of actually answering the question, you do your typical resort to insults. He was fired but I don't see why his wins would be removed since everything that happened did not give PSU a competitive advantage. Sandusky was not even a coach when some of this was going down.

Please try to stay out of character for once and attempt to answer a question.

Sickeningly so, yes.
Post of the week. Have a nice long weekend boys.

Originally posted by nardibynature123:

Sickeningly so, yes.
Post of the week. Have a nice long weekend boys.
It must not take much.

Personally, I don't care about the wins. Add more if you want. I just don't want to hear any PSU zealots tell me that JoPa was holier than thou. He ruled that roost for decades and when the opportunity came to make a real difference in the lives of young people he severely stopped the ball. Maybe, this monster doesn't prey on as many boys if his atrocities are brought up light by men who had the power to stop it. But in a selfish, self-preserving act, he turned the other way and did nothing.

Personally, I don't care about the wins. Add more if you want. I just don't want to hear any PSU zealots tell me that JoPa was holier than thou. He ruled that roost for decades and when the opportunity came to make a real difference in the lives of young people he severely stopped the ball. Maybe, this monster doesn't prey on as many boys if his atrocities are brought up light by men who had the power to stop it. But in a selfish, self-preserving act, he turned the other way and did nothing.
I was only commenting regarding the wins taken away, it never made sense to me.

Cwertz, my comment was a general one. Not directed at you. I just think there are a segment of PSU fans who are oblivious to the fact that this story is tragic, but the only thing that is important is that Joe gets his wins back. Maybe, the NCAA did overstep their bounds initially. I don't really know.

Besides all of the obvious reasons that CWertz doesn't understand. It could be said that he gained a competitive advantage because he didn't want to let the situation go public because of the damage it would have done to the program and recruiting. So by doing nothing and let it go on he was able to operate in the status quo and not let something that should have been released effect his football program.

wins and losses mean nothing. when you hear the name Joe Paterno you are immediately gonna think of this scandal and not how many games he won or lost. its how you conduct yourself and your program that is remembered in the end.

if this makes PSU people feel better by all means give the wins back. But this will never go away, it will be a black eye on the school for the next 75 years until everyone who was alive during the time it was reported dies.

I never understood vacating wins as a punishment. They still played the games and someone won. It's like when they vacate Cal's Final 4's. What does it mean? I watched the games. They counted and a given team won. Do they refund all the money from ticket sales to those games? So some dead guy now has his wins restored? Who cares? The guy is dead. I don't understand why people care either way on these much after-the-fact penalties. Tell people they cannot play and you're taking something away. Taking wins, restoring wins etc....completely meaningless to everyone except the person who makes the banner commemorating the event. The players still played, the score was kept and one team prevailed. Find the entire practice stupid.

Originally posted by selmore1:
Besides all of the obvious reasons that CWertz doesn't understand. It could be said that he gained a competitive advantage because he didn't want to let the situation go public because of the damage it would have done to the program and recruiting. So by doing nothing and let it go on he was able to operate in the status quo and not let something that should have been released effect his football program.
Nice try but I disagree. Sandusky was not allowed to coach. No idea why he was allowed on campus after that, makes no sense.

You dont see how covering up the biggest scandal in college sports history gave him a competitive advantage?

You dont see how covering up the biggest scandal in college sports history gave him a competitive advantage?
Please walk me through this logic? I see how having this in the open would be bad. However, harboring child molesters does not appear to provide any competitive advantage. Specifically how so?

I wouldn't see it as providing an advantage as much as it is something that was minimized to keep the reputation of the place clean so it would not act as a disadvantage. As a result one could argue winning on the field took more importance than acting appropriately and possibly besmirching the program. Just a thought.

This post was edited on 1/16 5:27 PM by NovaUSMC01

That is not a competitive advantage. It did not enable his players to perform better. It's disgusting and there is no excuse. I'd go as far to say it's worse than any cheating scandel any sport has seen. However PSU did not receive an advantage. It didn't make the players run faster, jump higher or provide an advantage. It was just disgusting and shows a program devoid of moral fiber. Two different issues.

Don't disagree, what I am saying is perhaps if this thing broke earlier and it was handled immediately it could have affected PSUs ability to attract talent and win (thus the wins are a result of a coverup). We will never know. Like you I am not wrapped up on the wins thing either. I tend to agree it is not germane to this horrific event. What is germane, however, is Paterno's character and his decision making throughout all of this. This is why I have a hard time seeing people rejoice and calling him a great person. I just can't agree with that train of thought.

This post was edited on 1/16 5:45 PM by NovaUSMC01

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT