ADVERTISEMENT

Temple Football Stadium plans

YourBuddyRayhad

All VUSports.com Team
Nov 2, 2012
Looks like the Owls are attempting to build a 100MM dollar stadium on their campus. Would seat 35k. Thoughts?

I still don't think they would draw that much when many of your students are coming from the suburbs. Unless they suddenly become a powerhouse.

What % of public funding will that be? If they raise it all through donors, then go for it. But when philly schools have to take a loan out to make payroll, I don't think they will get much city support.

My guess, they'd have a tougher time drawing fans there than they do at the Linc. They should hope it doesn't happen and the Eagles' forced charity continues.

Can't see a lot of people wanting to head to N. Philly on a Saturday afternoon (or worse, evening).

Temple already struggles to get 8k or 9k down there for what has often been a very good basketball team.

Also, $100 million seems extremely low, especially if it doesn't include money to buy up a decent amount of additional neighboring real estate to build a couple decent surface lots for tailgating. The current setup with garages would make the experience even worse.

My guess, they'd have a tougher time drawing fans there than they do at the Linc. They should hope it doesn't happen and the Eagles' forced charity continues.

What does "forced charity" mean, I don't understand.

Meaning, the Eagles don't want Temple playing at the Linc, but the city forces them to do it. So Temple gets to pay some below market rate resulting from a non-arm's length negotiation to play there.

Hate to think of all the injuries NFL players have suffered after the field has been torn up so 7,000 people could watch Temple lose to Akron all these years.

Zero chance a 35K stadium built in Philly only costs $100MM, unless it is a Penn State-style erector set with no amenities. PPL cost $130M in today's dollars, and it is 1/2 the capacity and in Chester.

We had our chance. No need to be petty and envious. Publicly it appears that most alums prefer The situation Nova is in compared to Temple and their home in the AAC. Perhaps this opinion may be short-sighted. When the Fox contract expires or when there is a BCS split and conference expansion again takes place a clearer picture will develop regarding Nova athletics.
Not sure about that particular location in north Philly, considering traffic, parking, tailgating. Always thought somewhere along the river off of Delaware Ave. would be more suitable.
Personally I prefer college football and am enjoying Temple's run and will be watching next Saturday against Notre Dame.

Reactions: tmbmtm
Meaning, the Eagles don't want Temple playing at the Linc, but the city forces them to do it. So Temple gets to pay some below market rate resulting from a non-arm's length negotiation to play there.

Hate to think of all the injuries NFL players have suffered after the field has been torn up so 7,000 people could watch Temple lose to Akron all these years.

That's what I thought, pretty funny because it couldn't be more inaccurate, but I'm sure it makes you feel good to think that way.

Reactions: mhoffman6960
What a waste of tax dollars

If temple has money to burn maybe they should return some of their annual welfare subsidy. Or maybe they can invest in educational programs preventing sexual misconduct. Bill Cosby and Fran Dunphy could be honored attendees.

College football sucks. I'm not speaking about temple specifically, but generally I just don't get it. So glad we don't waste too much of our time on it (and I wish we would cut our joke of a program all together)

Reactions: VURambler
We had our chance. No need to be petty and envious. Publicly it appears that most alums prefer The situation Nova is in compared to Temple and their home in the AAC. Perhaps this opinion may be short-sighted. When the Fox contract expires or when there is a BCS split and conference expansion again takes place a clearer picture will develop regarding Nova athletics.
Not sure about that particular location in north Philly, considering traffic, parking, tailgating. Always thought somewhere along the river off of Delaware Ave. would be more suitable.
Personally I prefer college football and am enjoying Temple's run and will be watching next Saturday against Notre Dame.

http://www.philly.com/philly/infographics/336278291.html

Reactions: tmbmtm
Zero chance a 35K stadium built in Philly only costs $100MM, unless it is a Penn State-style erector set with no amenities. PPL cost $130M in today's dollars, and it is 1/2 the capacity and in Chester.
Not to mention that the union thugs will drive costs through the roof.

Reactions: ericw
What a waste of tax dollars

If temple has money to burn maybe they should return some of their annual welfare subsidy. Or maybe they can invest in educational programs preventing sexual misconduct. Bill Cosby and Fran Dunphy could be honored attendees.

College football sucks. I'm not speaking about temple specifically, but generally I just don't get it. So glad we don't waste too much of our time on it (and I wish we would cut our joke of a program all together)
Nice to have you back, ball

Shame the new stadium won't be up by next Saturday.......as the ESPN game day is going to be in Philly, or so it is being reported....

If it doesn't wind up being twice the cost they're estimating, I'd be shocked. The state is going to wind up pitching in a lot of money for this

Reactions: NovaUSMC01
the state of PA shouldn't waste a nickel on this - the Owls already have a place to play. there are legit budget needs that far surpass this.

Yes, and in fact, Pitt tore down an on campus stadium and didn't rebuild in part so that they could play at Heinz.

At the same time, Pitt is a traditional power and Temple is... Temple.

ESPN Gameday coming to Temple this week. I can't stand ND but I am hoping they demolish Temple. It's going to be about 90% ND fans there too.

Yes, and in fact, Pitt tore down an on campus stadium and didn't rebuild in part so that they could play at Heinz.

At the same time, Pitt is a traditional power and Temple is... Temple.

Pitt football has been YAWN for ages. Their best season since the early 80s featured three losses and the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

Pitt and Temple each get roughly ~$140 million of handouts from the state each year.

I can't wait for TU NY to bring up the attendance of this game as if it won't be almost all ND fans

ESPN Gameday coming to Temple this week. I can't stand ND but I am hoping they demolish Temple. It's going to be about 90% ND fans there too.

98f.png

So you think the taxpayers should pay for your stadium? That is ridiculous.

I think the word you are looking for is contribute as last time I checked the stadium doesn't cost $20 million.

It's called a capital project for a reason. Last time I checked stadium employees pay state wage tax and consumers pay sales tax on almost all goods purchased at a stadium. The companies who build the stadiums pay tax on their net income back to PA. Their employees they hire to build these stadiums also pay PA tax.

In my opinion these kinds of things are a positive thing for a state to invest in.

$20 million is a joke anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT