ADVERTISEMENT

Temple Football Stadium plans

Im not a temple fan but this game does bring excitement to the city that has lacked good college football in many many years. If you watched Temple this year you will know they are very good and capable of being an overrated ND team. Its a night game on national tv and will be worth watching.

As far as the stadium on campus, the Linc is temples best option. its easy to get to and is an NFL stadium. what more could temple want? no body goes to the basketball games cause the campus is difficult to get to. moving the football games up to N Broad would only create a drop in attendance after the allure of new stadium wears off after everyone has been there once for a game.

universities always try to raise a ton of money while one of their sports teams is having national success. this will not last. temple has historically been a terrible football program and will not be able to sustain this level of success. its not worth wasting millions and millions on a stadium because the football team is having one good year.

St Joes didnt go and build a 15k arena when they had success. and they were smart not too.

even if temple goes undefeated they will not get a BSC bowl game. that pretty much sums up why not to waste money on a new stadium.

I wish CFB would just limititself the SEC, Big 12, Big 10 , Pac 12 and ACC. the rest is a joke and a waste of valuable dollars schools could use for something more meaningful.

even if temple goes undefeated they will not get a BSC bowl game. that pretty much sums up why not to waste money on a new stadium.

I wish CFB would just limititself the SEC, Big 12, Big 10 , Pac 12 and ACC. the rest is a joke and a waste of valuable dollars schools could use for something more meaningful.

Brian Miller returns. The prodigal son.

Question: if TU were to get this new stadium, would they still play their occasion games vs PSU/ND/Whoever else at the Linc? Sort like Nova playing at the WFC vs their marquee opponents?

That's a great question.

I have no answer to that. From a money stand point it makes sense to do that. From a home field advantage standpoint it doesn't make sense cause these school bring more fans then we do.

It's called a capital project for a reason. Last time I checked stadium employees pay state wage tax and consumers pay sales tax on almost all goods purchased at a stadium. The companies who build the stadiums pay tax on their net income back to PA. Their employees they hire to build these stadiums also pay PA tax.

In my opinion these kinds of things are a positive thing for a state to invest in.

1. When Villanova has a capital campaign, they raise the money themselves. Temple should do the same.
  2. Temple already gets something like $150 million a year from Pennsylania.
  3. Villanova's employees pay state income tax, the vendors they use pay taxes, and where sales tax is applicable, people pay that too. Should Villanova ask the Commonwealth for tens of millions of dollars to upgrade their sports facilities?
  4. Andrew Zimbalist has done a ton of work on the economic impact of publicly subsidized sports stadiums and found that there really isn't a benefit.

giphy.gif

Reactions: ChuckSullivan97
Im not a temple fan but this game does bring excitement to the city that has lacked good college football in many many years. If you watched Temple this year you will know they are very good and capable of being an overrated ND team. Its a night game on national tv and will be worth watching.

Forgot to sign in under a different handle before the second post?

Reactions: mhoffman6960

Yea, maybe they'll do the same in hoops, too.

Reactions: tmbmtm
Stadiums never "pay for themselves" back to the taxpayer. Which is why smart middle class people now voice their concern when billionaire professional team owners ask for subsidization. The dynamic is slightly different here as it is amateur athletics, but no matter what it would be extremely irresponsible to move forward with this without some sort of hard cap on how much will be taxpayer money. Even 20 million is too high when you look at the lack of consistent product the team has put out over the years. If there are 5 straight years of good attendance at the Linc, this all seems a lot more simple to me. Right now it seens like cherry picking

I recall Nolfi being a big Ron Paul guy. I wonder how he feels about this proposed taxpayer handout to his alma mater

ESPN Gameday coming to Temple this week. I can't stand ND but I am hoping they demolish Temple. It's going to be about 90% ND fans there too.
Just like you guys predicted vs. PSU, right?

55eb93b1ba017.image.jpg

101915-lincoln-financial-field-linc.jpg

Saturday will be the 4th consecutive TUFB home game in which there will be more Temple fans in attendance than there have ever been Villanova fans in one place, at one time. Ever.

55eb93b1ba017.image.jpg

Saturday will be the 4th consecutive TUFB home game in which there will be more Temple fans in attendance than there have ever been Villanova fans in one place, at one time. Ever.
Cool. In then end it's still Temple football - no one cares about them, including most of their alumni.

Reactions: ericw

why do you continue posting nonsense like this when you have been proven wrong numerous times?

also, I believe someone asked you what your occupation was since you bragged about making tons of money. care to share?

why do you continue posting nonsense like this when you have been proven wrong numerous times?

also, I believe someone asked you what your occupation was since you bragged about making tons of money. care to share?
bmoney,

Please don't scare this kid away. Anytime someone discusses salary on this site it is a source of great entertainment.

Reactions: RW_Prescott
Typical, look at all the green clad Tulane fans at a Temple home game on October 10th 2015. I guess homecoming will really jam that place.
USATSI_8851224_900x599.jpg

dt_common_streams_Stream_Server_cls.jpg

the state of PA shouldn't waste a nickel on this - the Owls already have a place to play. there are legit budget needs that far surpass this.

I hear Nova is going to start playing in the Linc once Temple moves out and the an invite to the ACC is a "done deal." Are your sources saying the same thing? Somebody better check with UncleEd as well.

malenko, why should PA taxpayers with no connection to Temple be forced to fund this? Especially when you consider it would be money on top of large subsidies to begin with.

55eb93b1ba017.image.jpg

85 victory parade tops the 30K Temple fans shown here

malenko, why should PA taxpayers with no connection to Temple be forced to fund this? Especially when you consider it would be money on top of large subsidies to begin with.

You are absolutely right. PA taxpayers should not be forced to fund this. On the other hand............

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...otball-bowl-subdivision-level-villanova-moves

Villanova spent months weighing its options and seemed to be inching closer to joining the Big East in football to help protect the future of its basketball program, which could be left behind if the Big East football schools eventually decided to break away from the basketball playing members.

School leaders decided to use 18,500-seat PPL Park in Chester, Pa., as the Wildcats' home venue if Villanova jumped to the FBS level. While the stadium would meet minimum NCAA requirements, it would be the smallest venue in the Big East. The stadium could be expanded to seat up to 30,000 people in the future.

http://articles.philly.com/2015-06-...park-nick-sakiewicz-republican-wendell-butler

When Nick Sakiewicz envisioned a home for the team, he looked at locations across the country. He settled on Chester, bypassing cities including Philadelphia and Portland, Ore., because he "saw this was a great place to be."

"Revitalizing the city isn't what we ever promised," said Sakiewicz, the team's chief executive and operating partner. "One business doesn't fix decades of economic mismanagement in a city."

To sweeten the deal, the state kicked in $47 million, the Delaware River Port Authority gave $10 million, and Delaware County committed $30 million in the form of a bond.

PPL Park wasn't built with Villanova in mind. Therefore, Villanova didn't seek a dime from the taxpayer.

Malenko, the question stands. Why should the PA taxpayers have to fund this venture, on top of the millions they already give to Temple, when there is a perfectly reasonable solution in place as it stands (LFF)? Villanova did not seek money from the state to build a new facility, on campus, in Villanova PA, as the primary tenant. They looked to use an existing structure that was never built to attract or host Villanova events.

So, why should the taxpayers give even 5 dollars toward this thing? Why shouldn't Temple be told to fund it 100%?

You are absolutely right. PA taxpayers should not be forced to fund this. On the other hand............

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...otball-bowl-subdivision-level-villanova-moves

Villanova spent months weighing its options and seemed to be inching closer to joining the Big East in football to help protect the future of its basketball program, which could be left behind if the Big East football schools eventually decided to break away from the basketball playing members.

School leaders decided to use 18,500-seat PPL Park in Chester, Pa., as the Wildcats' home venue if Villanova jumped to the FBS level. While the stadium would meet minimum NCAA requirements, it would be the smallest venue in the Big East. The stadium could be expanded to seat up to 30,000 people in the future.

http://articles.philly.com/2015-06-...park-nick-sakiewicz-republican-wendell-butler

When Nick Sakiewicz envisioned a home for the team, he looked at locations across the country. He settled on Chester, bypassing cities including Philadelphia and Portland, Ore., because he "saw this was a great place to be."

"Revitalizing the city isn't what we ever promised," said Sakiewicz, the team's chief executive and operating partner. "One business doesn't fix decades of economic mismanagement in a city."

To sweeten the deal, the state kicked in $47 million, the Delaware River Port Authority gave $10 million, and Delaware County committed $30 million in the form of a bond.

1376295661_692190d1345937173-stretch-armstrong-died-stretch_armstrong.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT