ADVERTISEMENT

The Mets

adp98

Post 'Til Your Fingers Bleed
Gold Member
Feb 25, 2005
Is this similar to not calling family members during a no-hitter? Cap tip to the boys in flushing. Miller's, shoops latest tired "alt"; NL East favorites? Discuss.

Solid start - winning by the way they were built to play - Get a well pitched game, catch the ball, don't walk guys and have a serviceable offense. We'll see what happens now though - d'Arnaud was probably their best player so far, and Blevins their best lefty in the pen. Hopefully the kid steps in and hits a bit at catcher. They were never going to win via offense, but down Wright and now d'Arnaud might not be a great stretch.

Let's just say no one is popping the corks here at all. Just pleased with the start. I think they would need the division to be positively mediocre (like no one else over 85 wins) to NL East. I think a wild card spot is not unreasonable though.

For the record, I agree and appreciate the way they play. Good stuff happening up there. They'll probably screw it up and overpay Desmond in the off season. Regardless, I like what they are doing. Saw Harvey live last week and he was dirty as all heck.

Originally posted by adp98:
Saw Harvey live last week and he was dirty as all heck.
I honestly believe deGrom is as good (or better) than Harvey. Lot of work left to do for both players, but deGrom is on another level right now. He's made one bad pitch all year.

Colon's performance isn't sustainable, but he'll eat innings all year. Niese and Gee are both 4th starter material. Losing d'arnaud was a huge dagger.

For the record, I agree and appreciate the way they play. Good stuff happening up there. They'll probably screw it up and overpay Desmond in the off season. Regardless, I like what they are doing. Saw Harvey live last week and he was dirty as all heck.
Doubt it on Desmond. We have a guy who will hit at SS who has some pop and is not a great fielder. The Wilpons won't pay a ridiculous premium for the 30 year of better version of that. They will leave that to the Yankees, who are going to need that.

In 19 of Matt harvey's 40 major league starts, he has given up one run or less. Not the last two though - and there is some concern for me about that given his recent injury. He was good yesterday and probably ran out fo gas in the 7th (had the flu apparently) but that's two ok but not great starts in a row. Next one vs Yankees. We'll see i guess.

Originally posted by NovaNation1188:

Saw Harvey live last week and he was dirty as all heck.
I honestly believe deGrom is as good (or better) than Harvey. Lot of work left to do for both players, but deGrom is on another level right now. He's made one bad pitch all year.
You are crazy from my viewing. However, you see them every day. Don't agree but what do I know.

de Grom does not over power you, that's what he doesnt get the same respect. But he's a legit 5 pitch pitcher - he changes speeds extremely well, his sinker is a killer, and he locates the shit out of the ball and he gets his K's in bunches. He just gets outs. He's had one poor start since the middle of June 2014. I dont think he's a fluke.

This post was edited on 4/20 6:31 PM by Ninetynine5.0

Dmil, I can buy de grom is good but Harvey is elite-special -stud. He over_powers you and laughs while doing it. Special player.

. I feel like we should wait and see if Harvey can put together 2 to 3 seasons before we crown him. He is 3 starts back from TJ surgery. Still plenty of time to judge his game.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Harvey is just dirty. If I were a Mets fan I'd cringe every time he pitches, praying he stays healthy.

Harvey had no indication that he was injury prone until his UCL blew out in 2013. Almost everything points to this being partially the result of overuse in college.

See the attached article about UNC pitchers running up insane pitch counts. He threw 157 pitches once.

"On two occasions he tossed more then 133 pitches and between 121-132 on five different occasions."

UNC overuse

Let's watch Harvey's next 10 starts before we make any judgments on him being back. For the record, every time he starts I prepare to brightside.

I'm nervous about the TJ, and I've also been closely watching deGrom. deGrom has escaped a few bad jams this year -- and that will catch up to him -- but the guy generates a TON of swings and misses. He doesn't panic on the mound and gets the job done, I would rather him pitch a 1 game playoff than Harvey at this point.

It really is amazing how cyclical baseball is. To think where the Mets are right now compared to where the 2 teams were several yrs ago is amazing stuff.

Originally posted by wcburrs87:

I would rather him pitch a 1 game playoff than Harvey at this point.
That's over-thinking it.
Probably/hopefully because the Mets will have won the division by a few games. I meant it more as I think deGrom is the better pitcher right now -- and would perform under pressure in those circumstances.

Originally posted by wcburrs87:

I would rather him pitch a 1 game playoff than Harvey at this point.
That's over-thinking it.
Probably/hopefully because the Mets will have won the division by a few games. I meant it more as I think deGrom is the better pitcher right now -- and would perform under pressure in those circumstances.
That's not what I meant. With this you're getting ahead of yourself. Anyway, Harvey is more talented and barring an injury (and I think he'll be fine) then he'll clearly be the better pitcher be year's end. Plus, you have no idea how DeGrom will pitch under pressure, what pressurized game has he pitched at this level? Again, Harvey is a freak when at the top of his game.

Originally posted by gldendog:
It really is amazing how cyclical baseball is. To think where the Mets are right now compared to where the 2 teams were several yrs ago is amazing stuff.
I wouldn't use the word "cyclical" to describe the results of retarded management decisions and smart management decisions.

Originally posted by NickleDimer:

I wouldn't use the word "cyclical" to describe the results of retarded management decisions and smart management decisions.
exactly. Some of these teams actually have a plan to stockpile and develop young talent.

Originally posted by NickleDimer:

exactly. Some of these teams actually have a plan to stockpile and develop young talent.
But when these teams sucked they didn't have a plan? Only a two/three teams have sustained very good success over the last dozen years.

I think it was pretty obvious years ago that as the phillies were falling off a cliff, the mets were starting the slow climb back to respectability. Only thing cyclical is these 2 teams are rarely ever good at the same time.

Originally posted by Helen&HouseDicks:
I think it was pretty obvious years ago that as the phillies were falling off a cliff, the mets were starting the slow climb back to respectability. Only thing cyclical is these 2 teams are rarely ever good at the same time.
Fair. But sometime in the future the Phillies will get good again and the Mets will go back to being bad. Most franchises go thru bad or average years a good amount of the time. And when they finally get good it usually doesn't last forever. Look at some of the recent good teams. They have all had long bouts of losing: WAS, PIT, TB, KC, BAL, TEX, etc

I'm also going to inject that it's 13 games and many things can go wrong.

And already have to some extent. Injuries far better now than in August, but they are piling up here. Hopefully not snake bitten and they can stay above water here the next few weeks. Every team's got 'em so no excuses.

The nuclear winter of minor league talent that the Phillies are experiencing is not typical.

I don't think it's that bleak. Yes, need more young talent in the system and it could be better, but in the end you only need 3 or 4 position players to hit. They'll have high picks the next couple of years. Franco, Crawford, and Quinn could be good. The starters in Reading are off to really good or solid starts. Maybe, grab one of these Cubans along the way.

It's not a coincidence some teams stink for long stretches. It's called bad management, scouting etc....there is a reason the Cardinals are good every year. It's because they have depth throughout their organization. That's not an accident. There is a reason the Pirates stunk for 20 years. It's not cyclical it's bad management. Any team can have a bad year. However, when teams have bad streaks it's not a cyclical thing. It's people who are not good at their jobs running things. Conversely, some people are better at identifying and developing talent.

Can any baseball thread not devolve into a discussion about a currently poor CoP team?

It's not a coincidence some teams stink for long stretches. It's called bad management, scouting etc....there is a reason the Cardinals are good every year. It's because they have depth throughout their organization. That's not an accident. There is a reason the Pirates stunk for 20 years. It's not cyclical it's bad management. Any team can have a bad year. However, when teams have bad streaks it's not a cyclical thing. It's people who are not good at their jobs running things. Conversely, Rizzo is better at identifying and developing talent.
Fixed.

Yea boy. I was going to put that in there myself but appreciate the assist.

It was TGO - but might have to call up Hernandez. BTW Lagaras with another 'Fringe prospect' play tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT