ADVERTISEMENT

The Mets

DMIL, mets making me lots of money. Like your team. They catch, pitch and play good ball. Hope they can sustain all year. Be a fun race.

DMIL, mets making me lots of money. Like your team. They catch, pitch and play good ball. Hope they can sustain all year. Be a fun race.

Let's friggin hope so. I mean, not a moment too soon. Encouraged by the rest of the division looking not so hot. Nats will more than likely get a lot better, but rest of the division looks mediocre to bad. Need to win a bunch of those games, be good at home and get a little lucky. Would be a fun summer, but nothing to get carried away with yet.

Based on his minor league rankings he was a fringe prospect. We've been over this. Not sure why it bothers you. Sometimes players exceed expectations. Still a 215-lb man who bleeds the ball over the infield for his hits.

Based on his minor league rankings he was a fringe prospect. We've been over this. Not sure why it bothers you. Sometimes players exceed expectations. Still a 215-lb man who bleeds the ball over the infield for his hits.

Let the hate continue. You're obviously not watching the games. Guy is hitting 30 homers with his glove. That's how good it is.

Comment didnt bother me - I just find it humorous because it was so dumb.

042215_lagares_catch_1_med_d7r1ejix.gif

Just take everything one game at a time. It's funny because it feels like we're not catching a lot of breaks (seemingly lost every challenge this year), but when we make contact the balls are finding the right spot. It's also encouraging that Murphy/Grandy have had terrible starts but we're winning. They both have high line drive % -- leads me to believe their hits will come.

Pitching is what we thought it would be.

Going to be fun the next few years watching 99 and burrs reverse roles with respect to their teams. Hope burrs adopts the schtick of propping up the Mets and acting surprised when they falter in post season. That's always fun.

We'll know a lot more about the Mets over the next 2 weeks. I don't recall a season where we had this many NL East games in a row. I think it's something like 23/26 games to start the year are against the Division. If the Mets can be 20-6 at the end of the stretch there's some room to be excited about this team .

Mets scouts and media people stated they weren't sure he was an everyday player. It wasn't dumb. He was a fringe prospect coming thru the system and has exceeded expectations. Cap tip to him. No one thought he be this good a fielder, this quickly.

The best part about the Mets overachieving so far is that it will make it easier for the Nats to underachieve. Again.

My two eyes told he was an everyday player. He goes and get the ball in center better than anyone in the game. Kid is a stud. If he can hit .280 he's an all star with that glove.

Hope burrs adopts the schtick of propping up the Mets and acting surprised when they falter in post season. That's always fun.

DMill's work over the last 5 years has been nothing short of masterful. A humorless CoP 4-for-4-er could never do that. Burrs' shtick is to manage expectations or in the 76ers case, set no expectations whatsoever.

My two eyes told he was an everyday player. He goes and get the ball in center better than anyone in the game. Kid is a stud. If he can hit .280 he's an all star with that glove.

Umm, yea after the fact you see it. But I'm sure you were tracking him during his 7 years as a minor leaguer with your own eyes. Eff outta here.

Was never ranked among the top Mets' prospects. You don't know the context behind the comment, which was made last season.

We're all in agreement. He can field his position.

Umm, yea after the fact you see it. But I'm sure you were tracking him during his 7 years as a minor leaguer with your own eyes. Eff outta here.

Was never ranked among the top Mets' prospects. You don't know the context behind the comment, which was made last season.

We're all in agreement. He can field his position.

The context of the stupid statement was you managing expectations. Something alomng the lines of " i dont get excited when a fringe prospect has a good year'. Which is why is was such a dumb thing to say.

The context of the stupid statement was you managing expectations. Something alomng the lines of " i dont get excited when a fringe prospect has a good year'. Which is why is was such a dumb thing to say.

Actually, I don't remember it that way. Also, I stand corrected this discussion took place after the season because he had already won the GG.

And coming thru their system he was a fringe prospect. The rankings and comments bear that. He exceeded those, obviously. He won a GG. So obviously he's here to stay.

The fringe prospect comment was based on him coming up. Not whether or not he would remain in the team.

So los Mets beating up on the Braves, Phillies, and Marlins makes them contenders, eh?

Actually not at all - hence every Met fan here pretty much having the 'optimistic but we'll see' theme through just about every post so far.

If they're in the hunt for the division or a WC spot in August, and are still playing well, perhaps then one can use the word contender. Lot of hay to make before that. Just looking for a more enjoyable baseball summer than of late. They've gone into the break solidly over .500 and wound up terrible enough recently to not buy much until then.

This arak/kjbert dust up is a nice little underrated feud these days. Not as sexy as TJC vs everyone or as douchey as burrs/Dmill. I approve.

It's all in fun. I didn't know kjbert personally but a couple of my friends did. He is a good guy from what they say, so he is a good guy in my book. Just trying to have some fun and keep with the tradition of calling alts by their former handles. There is no escaping the past on BW.

Also, I would not consider myself fury by any means. I am lucky, because pretty much most other Armenians I know either are hairy as hell or get their backs waxed.

Wins in April count the same as wins in September. Even as a disgruntled phils fan, I can't minimize what the mets are doing because the record is the record.

What's tomorrow? Something Aremenian related?
100th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide. There will be some events in in Philly - I think a 100 minute silent sit in at Love Park. Big events in NYC over the weekend. I am going up Saturday to crash with friends and then attend mass at the Eastern Diocese followed by a big event in Times Square starting at around 1:45. In a couple weeks (weekend of May 8th) there will be big events in DC.

100th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide. There will be some events in in Philly - I think a 100 minute silent sit in at Love Park. Big events in NYC over the weekend. I am going up Saturday to crash with friends and then attend mass at the Eastern Diocese followed by a big event in Times Square starting at around 1:45. In a couple weeks (weekend of May 8th) there will be big events in DC.
Also - System of Down is having a free concert in Yerevan (the capital of Armenia) in about 30 minutes. I have a friend that is there on business and will be attending. Link below if anyone wants to watch/listen.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/system-of-a-down-armenia-live-stream-20150423

It's all in fun. I didn't know kjbert personally but a couple of my friends did. He is a good guy from what they say, so he is a good guy in my book. Just trying to have some fun and keep with the tradition of calling alts by their former handles. There is no escaping the past on BW.

Also, I would not consider myself fury by any means. I am lucky, because pretty much most other Armenians I know either are hairy as hell or get their backs waxed.

Agree. Let's kiss and make up. I'm into it now that you said you're not hairy.

I have to actually say bursies has a bit of a point. I had seen enough of him going into last season to wonder why they weren't just penciling him in, and instead going with Eric Young and Chris Young type plans. Some injuries put him in the lineup more and they finally caught on. I put that one on Collins and company, they got Pagan wrong too.

gr8 freaking start!

This is los Mets year. If they don't win the division going away it will be a huge choke job at this point. Anything can happen in the playoffs, but los Mets are clearly the class of the NL East this season. And this is all with Wright, d'Arnaud, Wheeler, Parnell, Black, Edgin, and Blevins on the DL and with one of the best prospects in all of baseball, Syndergaard, still in the minors. Reinforcements are coming soon, I could see them winning 95-100 games.

Jesus, you do realize it's April -- right? They've played 20 games, let them get through May before you crown them. Obviously the Mets look good so far, but who have they played? Reminds me of 'Nova this year. Bashing a sh*tty NL East isn't an accomplishment at this point.

If they are 40-20, then there is some room to really start believing.

This is los Mets year. If they don't win the division going away it will be a huge choke job at this point. Anything can happen in the playoffs, but los Mets are clearly the class of the NL East this season. And this is all with Wright, d'Arnaud, Wheeler, Parnell, Black, Edgin, and Blevins on the DL and with one of the best prospects in all of baseball, Syndergaard, still in the minors. Reinforcements are coming soon, I could see them winning 95-100 games.

They need to beat someone other than the division before I say anything beyond they have a chance at the wildcard. I was hoping for a 2-1 with the yankees, but came out 1-2 there.

They are surprising right now and if they play .500 ball through the end of the year, it could be a 90 win season.

Personally I was just hoping for improvement this year, a winning season, then next year bring up Syndergaard and really compete. But looks like this year has potential. We'll see. Big Fat Bartolo needs to keep up his pace, and Niese needs to step it up if he wants to stay in the rotation.

Last night made me a believer. I know Cishek is off to a rough start, but he is a proven top closer. To be down all game and come back and win it in the 9th with a 3 run HR - that is something teams do that know how to win. I understand being hesitant since you grew up a Mets fan, but this is a different team. They are up 8 games on the only other team in the division that has a pulse. Like I said, unless they choke they should win this division going away.

I will say, this team has been down in A LOT of games this year and come back to win. That's something that was not present in the 2010-2013 teams. We saw it a little bit last year, but this team doesn't quit. Reminds me the '06 team -- but with a grittier lineup instead of superstars.

Tonight is a big game, just keep winning series against your division and things will fall into place.

Solid, solid work by Arak3 here - really in the true spirit of 4.6. Hats off.

Matz will be up before Syndergaard I think. More mature, and a lefty. Montero before both. It's all encouraging but there are no kids running around the tables, no corks popped, no nothing. It's been fun enjoying April but it's just that - April. They needed to get off on the right foot here and they did, but that's all they did. Baseball like no other sport tends to sort it all out over 7 months. We'll see what happens.

dmil - if you'll remember I started a thread about the Mets and liking their chances in the off season. No trolling here. I am a baseball fan and since the Phillies are terrible I watch more of the rest of the league than I ever have. The Mets have that X factor that helps them win games. They are never out of a game. I credit Terry Collins a lot for this. I have always thought he was a good manager. He is even-keeled and let's his players be themselves and do what they know they can do.

Good thing there is no history of choking. Ohh that's right....

Seriously, they have a solid squad. Good starting pitching. I think pen and line-up are exceeding actual talent right now. Still, they're building a nice, comfortable cushion. Yea, it's a long season, but good starts shouldn't be diminished. I see no reason why they can't contend for division from wire to wire. Still believe the Nays right the ship at some point, but they better start soon. FLA should hang around, I guess.

26/31 games to start the season against the division (40% of total division games in first 20% of season). Helps that Mets are playing well and the rest are playing like crap, but there is still plenty of time left (30 of final 40 games are intra-division). Final series of the year is @Citi against the Nats, could be a fun one.

Good thing there is no history of choking. Ohh that's right....

Seriously, they have a solid squad. Good starting pitching. I think pen and line-up are exceeding actual talent right now. Still, they're building a nice, comfortable cushion. Yea, it's a long season, but good starts shouldn't be diminished. I see no reason why they can't contend for division from wire to wire. Still believe the Nays right the ship at some point, but they better start soon. FLA should hang around, I guess.

Strange comment about the position players - Granderson is obviously a major league baseball player, same with Cuddyer. CF is a GG winner and playing terrific and has been since he's been an every day player. Obviously talented. Duda is coming off a great year, not showing signs of fluke. The SS is young, but was always considered a ++ athlete and very talented. Are they super stars? No - but I cant say they are exceeding their actual talent because the numbers do not suggest that at all. In fact, for a few like Granderson, Murphy - they are below their norms. Prior to the injury d"arnaud, always considered a high talent, was continuing the way he finished last year after getting the job playing every day for 300 ABs and this replacement has been one of their better prospects. Young guys emerging, a few vets doing their thing.

If there is one surprise it is defensively - where even Murphy has been decent and Flores has actually been pretty good as well. But Lagaras allows Cuddyer to worry about far less real estate, Grandy is dead solid in RF, Duda has been very good and Campbell in for Wright has been good as well. Team is kind of reminding me of how the Giants and Cards win. Just make the plays you are supposed to make, get a few timely hits and be in the game late and give yourself a chance. They've given a couple games away already (@ATL, @NYY) but that's going to happen. Pen is the pen - like most team thrown together and hoping guys have solid years, but Familia is only 25 and has been touted for a while. Didnt see him in this role, but he's always been a live arm with good stuff. Another guy who seems to be coming of age. All in all, I dont think they are playing all that much above their talent level at all. Maybe a little but not exceedingly so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT