ADVERTISEMENT

The Most Underachieving Team in MLB

wcburrs87

Post 'Til Your Fingers Bleed
Jul 28, 2004
Not just this year but over the last four years????

The Washington "Nattitude" Nationals

Discuss.....

No doubt. Gutless. Mets have more heart and better pitching. Siblings running around the house.

I thought burrs celebrated division titles?

Hard to argue the Nationals. They literally choke every season.

I only celebrate no hitters. Phillies are just as good as Nats this year. Each have a no hitter.

Burra, when your team has the current 4 year stretch this is the weakest thread in weeks. Seriously, troll and deflecting the Phillie's payroll a d performance during this time. Going from 5 straight to worst team over said 4 years

Burra, when your team has the current 4 year stretch this is the weakest thread in weeks. Seriously, troll and deflecting the Phillie's payroll a d performance during this time. Going from 5 straight to worst team over said 4 years

At least they won a playoff series when baseball people called them good.

Stick to the topic. Most underachieving team in MLB. Discuss.

Ok, I'd say the Phils. Last 4 years they have been #2, #3, #3 and #9 in payroll. That money delivered 73, 73 and 81 wins. This year lucky to hit 70. By any unbiased metric that would mean over the last 4 years the Phillies were the most under-achieving team in MLB. So bad, Papelbohn agreed to take less money to leave the Phils to play for a winner in DC.

Ok, I'd say the Phils. Last 4 years they have been #2, #3, #3 and #9 in payroll. That money delivered 73, 73 and 81 wins. This year lucky to hit 70. By any unbiased metric that would mean over the last 4 years the Phillies were the most under-achieving team in MLB. So bad, Papelbohn agreed to take less money to leave the Phils to play for a winner in DC.

Yawn. They paid guys for past performances. Why? Because they actually won something. It happens in sports. The guys making that money either got hurt or declined. Again, it happens.

Despite the payroll no preseason baseball publication touted them as the team to beat in the division, NL, or WS representative. That distinction belongs to your beloved Nats.

If they fail to make the playoffs this year then this four-year stretch will be amongst the most disappointing in all of baseball over the last decade. No ifs, ands, or buts. By any unbiased metric this would be true. No playoff wins and twice not even making the postseason.

A winner in DC? What have they won?

Not a single playoff series.

How about that crybaby Drew Storen? Gives up a salami with a 4-1 lead in a game they needed vs an inferior team. Typical.

Burrs, this goes up there as the most CoP thread ever. Hit the showers.

Reactions: YAWN!
Burrs, this goes up there as the most CoP thread ever. Hit the showers.

This has nothing to do with the CoP. This thread is about the most disappointing team in MLB. Fortunately, it's only Aug. 9th and still time to right the ship.

Do or die this year for this Nats team. If they underachieve again, I think you have to think about breaking up this core. Harper, Strasburg, etc would probably be on the trading block.

Do or die this year for this Nats team. If they underachieve again, I think you have to think about breaking up this core. Harper, Strasburg, etc would probably be on the trading block.
Totally agree. If this team doesn't win it all moving Harper should be the off season's first priority. Thankfully they won't lose any other parts so they should be able to focus on moving him. Guy is the most overrated 22 year old in baseball. Unlike Hamels, he would deliver elite prospects. Gre8 idea.

I think ADP is beginning to feel the pressure more so than that gutless roster.

Adp's sphincter is twitching over this. He has no clue who to bandwagon jump to next. Orioles? Too poor. royals? Too far. He may have to move back north and play if safe with the Yankees till the Cubs officially are the trendy team to ride.

How's this for a fail?

Lose a must-have series to the Rockies, as weak-minded Drew Storen continues to relish in that 8th role. Now, they have to go on the road for ten at LAD, SF, and COL. Let's see what they're made of.

Oh yea, get Grienke and Kershaw this week.

10 on the road, 7 in San Fran/LAD. Noted we get the two LA studs and Bumbgarner. Nats are finally healthy. No excuses. 50 to go. Get through the West Coast trip and be in the same spot. Feel as if they'll close strong. Good news is we've got 7-8 weeks of a race.Makes for a fun close to the season. Meaningful fall baseball is awesome. Last three years Nats have played a total of 10 games that would qualify. Bummed I probably won't make another game until September. Hopefully that last series in Citi means something.

Finally healthy?

Yea, maybe. Though Span might not return this year. Zimmerman and Werth are shells of their former selve. Desmond stinks. Rendon hasn't found yet. That line-up isn't all that imposing. Plus, the starting pitching needs to be dominant and hasn't been that.

Surprised by Rendon. I know he's been hurt but when he plays, he still stinks.

you guys are right. I'm not even sure they'll play the rest of their games. Heck, given the Phillies play of late they might even have to settle for third in the division.

Adp is using the full arsenal here. Has tried "defiant", "sarcastic", "deflecting", "resignation". May have to use those DC filibuster skills soon.

Since the beginning of July Bryce Harper is hitting .324 and slugging .532. The rest of the team, excluding pitchers, hitting .216 and slugging .359.

What's that old adage? Sometimes you are what you are.

Burrs, given the Pirates performance do you think it's time to return to the place of my birth and dust off the black-and-gold? Please advise.

Burrs, given the Pirates performance do you think it's time to return to the place of my birth and dust off the black-and-gold? Please advise.

Jumping from team to team isn't my specialty. It's the one thing sports related I know little about. May I suggest looking in the mirror. The answer should come to you.

Baseball sucks. It may be worse than soccer.

gr8 contribution.

The Nattitude lineup stinks right now. Espinosa, , washed up zimmerman, clint robinson, and ian desmond's .222 batting average in the 2, 4,5, and 6 spots, respectively.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT