ADVERTISEMENT

The Open

I'm going to go ahead and speculate that I'm a jagoff for not taking time during my lunch break to watch any of this.

Huge. Exciting as it gets. At least two into the playoff. Day and Spieth missed putts on 18 to join. Louis getting ready to tee off 18 needing a birdie to join the playoff. C'mon Louis.

Louis birdie's 18, 3 way playoff. Love Zach, invested in Louis and Lieshman's story is awesome + 4 more holes of golf on a Monday = everyone's a winner.

Zach Johnson wins. Goofy sport.

Not goofy.....just different......not a team sport.......and, it really isn't a competition between players. The winner is the golfer that plays the course the best. Each player cannot "beat" the other players....there is no defense played. No blocking or tackling....Maybe you can say some are psyched out by others...but, not so much any more since Tiger isn't relevant now.

Not goofy.....just different......not a team sport.......and, it really isn't a competition between players. The winner is the golfer that plays the course the best. Each player cannot "beat" the other players....there is no defense played. No blocking or tackling....Maybe you can say some are psyched out by others...but, not so much any more since Tiger isn't relevant now.

What a marked contrast between Zach and Jordan. When Zack won the Masters people on one of these
boards called him a one and done; they seemed to forget that he worked his way up from the minors and has become
a very good player. Jordan has it all; he has game and knows he can win.

In 1995, I had a dream realized when I played The Old Course. In retrospect without its history
and with horrendous weather it is a good test. This week when there were no weather problems,
it was simply another golf course

Interesting and counter-intuitive. All other things being equal I'd rather be a bomber in wet conditions. I would guess that short hitters are at more of a disadvantage in wet conditions. I'm surprised they didn't mention the wind---Johnson has a low ball flight which may give him a bit of an advantage in windy conditions.

IMO, the biggest change was the pin placements. This made yardage and angle more important than driving distance the final round. Here is what I mean: you saw guys using different fairways and being forced to hit to a number. It was less about bombing down and more about the need for precision because the pins were simply ungettable in certain spots. So the value the final round/two rounds was for guys who could get to a number, get it close and hole a few putts. The first two rounds they made the pins easier to get. Guys like DJ could just bomb and attack. The final two rounds played to the strength of a guy like Zach. His lack of distance wasn't an issue because many times he was simply hitting a longer club into a huge fairway to get his number. Once to that number/angle he was playing to his strength, getting it close and making putts. IMO, that was how the set up changed over the last two days and negated the bombers length. The par 5's were lengthed and the wind made 14 unreachable for everyone. Another help to the short hitters.

But that's because of the wind. Which outside of round 2 wasn't a huge factor.

Br8king News:

Brandle has 2007 Masters as "soft conditions".

You'll have to take it up with him.
Brandle is confused: http://www.golf.com/special-features/master-elements
I didn't see many patrons in golf shoes on Sunday, which you often see when it is wet (do they think they're going to be invited to play a few holes?). I do remember buying two cups of coffee the minute I got there in an effort to keep warm.
They watered the greens Saturday night to try to soften it up.

if i remember correctly 07 masters was freezing and the greens were rolling at about 13.

Brandle is a dick, he had the nerve to say tiger hit the wrong type of shot at the masters when the ball hit off the flag stick. said something to the effect of you have to hit it high and soft with little spin.

just curious how many masters has Brandle won?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT