ADVERTISEMENT

US OPEN

TV coverage was fine yesterday. Having 11 straight hours of live coverage is great. The course is a little tricked out for my personal likes. But in one aspect, it is a typical US Open course, that being if you don't keep it in the fairway, you are screwed.

the Fox coverage is bush league. highlighting the hole in neon green, its like when they used to highlight the puck n hockey in the 90s. you can barely see the course from their camera angels. Norman is good but Weiskopf and Buck are terrible.

i hate to say this but ill take NBC even with Johnny Miller.

tiger opens with a bogey. he is so bad. the view from the course is unreal and the train is kinda cool but this course doesnt even look playable.

Spieth making a move, lower scores in the AM. if Phil can shoot -1 or -2 this afternoon that would be huge for him. i have a feeling he shoots more like +4

I'm predicting an E cup round for Boobs.

Tiger 5 spots out of last place. Maybe a WD on the back nine?

nah he finishes. needs to get his "reps"

what a tool. love watching is fall from the top. he duffed a three wood last night on 18. Joe Buck laughed at him.

I have no issue with the coverage. Let's face it, golf tournaments become memorable because of the golfers and the shots they play, not whether greg Norman or Johnny miller are providing commentary.

Yes....Tiger is pretty much done as any threat to win again, especially a major. But, they can't take away the 70 plus wins, the 14 majors, and the fact that he will always be included in the list s along with Hogan, Jack, Arnie, and may be the best of them all.
Love the long freight trains rumbling 100 yards off the fairways.....would love to see the engineers hit the horn when someone was about to hit a tee shot.

"would love to see the engineers hit the horn when someone was about to hit a tee shot." Is your home course Karakung?

Gary Player really ripped the course good this morning.

The FOX production sucks. I have no problem with the commentary, the pictures are just terrible though and the course is not golf.

Haven't paid too much attn to the coverage. One observation---no enthusiasm/excitement from anyone. spg--can you quantify?

Jason Day. Gutty. Gritty. Hope the equilibrium is there for him tomorrow.

Day's round was amazing. Cap tip to him. Denny McCarthy having an amazing weekend currently sitting at +5. Freaking amazing. Lastly, Spieth is really impressive. Doesn't look like much but the kid is mentally tough. Be stunned if anyone but Spieth wins it.

I think it's been gr8 to watch. Will take this foolish totally off the reservation course over generic well manicured traditional greens, bunkers and fairways. It wouldn't be a US Open without complaints about the course being ridiculous arbitrary and unfair. Your point about "fake" fans is probably the most accurate. Once Tiger, Phil and maybe Rory are out a lot of fans tune out. But you have a four way tie for first place on a brutal course with one of the golfers almost not able to stand at times, and another the defending major champion looking to double up. A great set up for the final day. I think Spieth wins -- even without being very good out of the tee box he still left about 4 shots on the table yesterday. Today he makes most of those.

I think it's been gr8 to watch. Will take this foolish totally off the reservation course over generic well manicured traditional greens, bunkers and fairways. It wouldn't be a US Open without complaints about the course being ridiculous arbitrary and unfair. Your point about "fake" fans is probably the most accurate. Once Tiger, Phil and maybe Rory are out a lot of fans tune out. But you have a four way tie for first place on a brutal course with one of the golfers almost not able to stand at times, and another the defending major champion looking to double up. A great set up for the final day. I think Spieth wins -- even without being very good out of the tee box he still left about 4 shots on the table yesterday. Today he makes most of those.

YES! ^^^ It's "clown miniature golf" at times, but the young whipper snappers are making things happen here. Should be a gr8 Day.

Great post SPG.

One thing I'll note is I nearly turned it off a few times Thursday and Friday with all the Woods coverage. It was painful to watch and might have dissuaded many from tuning in further, even as golf fans.

Having golf on Fox feels weird, the course is an absolute joke, and it just doesn't feel like a U.S. Open all around. The USGA taking a lot of heat this week, and rightfully so.

Golfers complain every year at the U.S. Open. Nothing unique about this year. Jason day can barely stand up and is tied for the lead. So what if the greens don't look right on TV or roll a little bumpy. It's the same for everybody.

I'M the biggest issue is the greens. I understand the complaints. Outside of that I don't mind the courselves. Today's short set up should make for great theater

Told ya.....We'll be watching Spieth for a long time.........feel bad for Dustin; but, those greens are like putting on broccoli....hope they never play another major on that facility....can't even call it a course.

When did Bobby Jones become Bob Jones? Could it have been more obvious during the final stretch that Buck was pulling for Spieth? Terrible. Exciting finish, though.

Hahaha, so Joe Buck doesn't just hate your favorite football team, he hates golfers you're pulling for too

I don't understand all the complaining on the coverage. It wasn't perfect but the last two hours was great TV. Joe Buck sucks. However, he sucks just as much during football and everyone seems to make it through. I didn't have to listen to Chris Berman all week = winner.

Thought the whole tournament was entertaining.

-It was as if the players were playing one of the local golf courses by me and understand how crappy the greens can truly be. Sorry not all of golf can be silky beautiful greens, instead sometimes they suck and your putting sucks. Again fun to watch them try.

- Loved that Fox had the course and players pretty much mic'ed up to wazoo. Yeah, yeah the lie is down, yeah, yeah the put is down hill but I really want to hear is some guy call Ian Poulter a sally or someone tell me that this was the stupidest hole they ever played. That is golf my friend. Yeah Joe Buck isnt great but its better than listening to Jim Nantz put me to sleep. Plus I just like that they showed the players emotion alot, made it more enjoyable.

-Dustin Johnson, poor freaken guy.

-The look on Speith's face when he wont it said it all. Seems like a good guy, he won but I dont think he wanted to win in that way.

-Please Stop complaining about Holly Sonders, she just made me care when they talk to golfers after their round.

I'd rather watch the ball tracker than the standard golf shot of a ball flying through the air.

I don't feel bad for Dustin Johnson not making puts.

How is a 100 yard fairway a circus any different course that has a 30 yard fairway with 6 inch rough right next to the fairway?

I had to laugh at all of the "real journalists" mocking (on twitter) Holly's question to Spieth about a 5th day outfit. If you actually watched the interview, it was a humorous question that didn't hurt the flow of the interview, and he (and Under Armour) didn't mind it because he got to plug his sponsor. Horschel "losing respect" for the USGA should get a "child, please" for whining. I wanted an 18 hole playoff tonight, that would have been fun to watch those 2 guys going at it.

Reactions: ericw
i was at torrey for the first rd of the 08 Open and in the airport watching the playoff. one of the best events i have ever seen. 2 guys with the entire course to themselves. rocco was up 3 at one point? then lost it. what a shame.

How is a 100 yard fairway a circus any different course that has a 30 yard fairway with 6 inch rough right next to the fairway?

The problem is if you are able to hit a 30 yard wide fairway at most US Open courses, its not going to roll off into a bunker. You shouldn't get penalized for hitting fairways at a US Open.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT