ADVERTISEMENT

Walmart fight

West Virginia T&F seems to have come a long way - all three divisions (A, AA, AAA) had 1600M times under 4:24 in the last few years, including a 4:08 in the A division. 4:08 is a free ride to college. Very impressive jump.

th

Kids playing around the house?

West Virginia T&F seems to have come a long way - all three divisions (A, AA, AAA) had 1600M times under 4:24 in the last few years, including a 4:08 in the A division. 4:08 is a free ride to college. Very impressive jump.

I hs teamate of mine got a Big East full ride who ran a 4:16 mile in high school. It was the shortest race he was good at because he had limited speed. He was really good at 3000m and 5k distances.

Those represent the top time in the entire state. So if you had a state winner at 4:24 that would seem to be in line with what it was 20 years ago. I'm stunned the one kid ran a sub 4:10, especially at the A level. He must be a mountain man. That's an unbelievable time out of WV. Cap tip to that kid.

4:45 would have won some races in the WV OVAC A or AA divisions this year. I'll buy it, but let's put it on par with little league accomplishments.
Agree and let's put this in perspective of the question and my response.

these last few pages debating adp's prowess raises the old question of whether its better to go to a smaller school and play 3 or more sports, or go to a large school and play 1 or 2. my graduating class had 360 people, and i only played one sport. but i was a reasonable enough athlete that i could have played hoops and possibly football for a smaller school.

Kenny, this is where growing up in WV sucked for me. My senior year I didn't even play a competitive sport. At that point I was traveling up Morgantown 4 days a week because that's where my tennis coach resided. If you can truly excel at one sport go for it. However ,it's all changed from when we were kids. Now kids have to declare their year-round love for a sport or the coaches won't take them on travel.

It's a completely different game so these decisions with very few exceptions, are made for the kids. You play the one sport at the highest level you can. I see it here locally and I assume it's the same it other major metro's. My neighbor across the street was a stud hoops and baseball player at Flint Hill. After his sophomore year he had to shut it down for hoops. And Flint Hill is small private, rich kid's school. However, he was a stud in baseball and it required he shut everything else down even at a small school. He's now pitching for UVA in the college world series and was also drafted last year out of high school. Guess he made the right call. However, it's all changed since when we were kids. If you are very serious and not elite of the elite in mulitple sports you're probably playing one sport. Coaches require as much and at a much younger age. It's become a bit much IMO.

Those represent the top time in the entire state. So if you had a state winner at 4:24 that would seem to be in line with what it was 20 years ago. I'm stunned the one kid ran a sub 4:10, especially at the A level. He must be a mountain man. That's an unbelievable time out of WV. Cap tip to that kid.

For HS, that's a helluva time out of anywhere. Blistering. Kid from my boy's team last year got money to run at Uconn with a 4:14 - which set his school's record for a program that has sent over 60 kids to division 1 over the last 17 years (under current coaches). Very good program, especially for a public school. Very dedicated group of coaches who have all been there for a long time with a lot of local success in both fall and spring - and they have never had a kid do 4:08. Really nice time. A beast as my boy would say.

is a 4.10 minute mile 14 MPH? Did I do the math right? That's amazing.

My "kick" when I finish a run is about 10-10.5 MPH. Incredible that someone could go 1 Mile at 14 MPH. wow.

Reactions: NovaNation1188
Yup and the best college runners run a mile in under 4 minutes. Over 15 mph average. Imagine a 43 second 400 meter. That's impressive!

Reactions: kjbert
I'm fascinated by the height of long distance runners. Is it correct to say that if you're too tall, your bones/joints can't take it and if you're too short, your stride doesn't allow you to keep pace?
aren't the great marathoners all shorts guys from Kenya?

I'm fascinated by the height of long distance runners. Is it correct to say that if you're too tall, your bones/joints can't take it and if you're too short, your stride doesn't allow you to keep pace?

I don't think stride length is all that important for long distance runners. I'm no expert, but from my experience it's more about how quickly you can get steps in without fatigue. Lack of stride might hurt you on a distance course that has a long down hill portion where taller runners can safely open their stride, but on a flat course it's not that beneficial.

Make up for the lack of stride distance with more, quick strides.

I have no idea. That was just my uneducated assumption. I guess they just look tall because they have long legs for 5'6" and are emaciated.
The one race I always felt that size mattered most was the 400. Short guys like me simply could not compete in that race for the very reason you cited. You had to take those long strides all the way around the track. IMO, that was the hardest race in all of track. It combined everything into the most basic/physically demanding race. You essentially sprint for nearly 400 yards.

http://fittish.deadspin.com/an-exercise-physiologist-explains-why-800-meters-hurts-1694552448
This is a good article about why the 800m is the hardest race to run. Basically, it's not a sprint and not a distance race. You basically have to choose whether you are going to run a fast 400m then tire on the 2nd lap or take an easy first 400 then run a negative split. Either way, you are going to be dying at the end.
I could see that argument as well. Especially as you move up in competition. 400 to me was simply a race where you had to be at least 6'2 to cover ground. 800 someone with my built would be better-suited to compete with the extended distance.

For people who enjoy track,and in particular the 1600. Read a book entitled, "Bowerman and the Men of Oregon". It's about Bill Bowderman the famed Oregon track coach. He also co-founded Nike. A lot of Nova connections as well given our strong history in track and specifically the 1600. Also gives a view into the origins of Nike the Olympics etc.... Great read, especially given the current era of college athletics.

I agree with adp that the 400 was tough. The 800 too but, at least in high school, there was more pacing in the 800 and endurance played a big part. In the 400 sustained speed won.

Now that all the dunking, muscle flexing and running seem to have exhausted themselves, back on topic, the mother in the Walmart brawl was arrested and charged with neglect and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. She was taken to county jail in Indianapolis and released on $3500 bail.

Do they sell men's stuff in a regular LuLu Lemon store? I seriously had no idea they even had a men's line. Only time I've ever been in there was this past December when I went to buy my wife some yoga pants. I will say, the girls working there were extremely helpful, almost over the top. I think I got asked if I needed help about four times and I was in there under ten minutes. Then again I probably looked completely clueless thumbing through women's yoga pants.

CantSeeTheLinesCanYouRuss.jpg

how long do you think it takes to drive a mile on a rascal?

did the arrested woman have $3500 for bail? or she just had to put up 10%?

Roach Barbara Bail Bonds
2920 Shelby Street
Indianapolis, IN

Phone: (317) 631-0987

Kind of a strange name for a business. Roach?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT