ADVERTISEMENT

Walmart fight

What's your proudest athletic achievement. What's your wife's proudest? (Besides quarter bouncing?)

What's your proudest athletic achievement. What's your wife's proudest? (Besides quarter bouncing?)
Honestly, I don't know. Playing a D1 sport was a nice way to demonstrate a lot of hard work. However, it wasn't my favorite sport so not something I lived to do. I could name a bunch of tennis tournaments but as I got older it was kind of expected so never became too impressed with it. Actually, taking 5 games off Justin Gimbelstob was probably my best achievement. Played him down in Sweet Briar, Virginia and I game him a run for his money. He was this massive, 6'4 16 year old and served like a machine. I was all of 130 lbs. dripping wet and everyone was wondering who this scappy little $hit was giving him a run for his money. I remember after the match it was probably the proudest my father was of me and time I most surprised myself. I was completely over-matched but able to hang there and really make him work. He was very good. Injuries killed his pro career. Nice kid. I believe from Morristown if memory serves.

Last edited:
My wife didn't play many sports. She did gymnastics and a bit of soccer. However, is sneaky good at corn hole and really good at Beirut.

Talk to me about your arm wrestling experience.

I might challenge you to a match

I'll be back in 3 weeks squirt. Philly area. Maybe AC. If not I can meet you halfway at the Iron Skillet at the truck stop in Elkton Maryland.

The legend of adp grows.

I don't buy the current 4.8 40 or dunking ability. Even world class athletes lose lots of explosiveness in their mid 30s. The rest is believable though. You seem like a hard nosed worker. Not a fan of Hammer Strength for chest. they have an awkward smith machine like motion. Probably tailored more for people with 5' wingspans.

The Toby Maguire comparison is spot on.

Reactions: kjbert
I'll be back in 3 weeks squirt. Philly area. Maybe AC. If not I can meet you halfway at the Iron Skillet at the truck stop in Elkton Maryland.
I'll be down the shore over the 4th. We can meet at Borgata and arm wrestle on a high top. Loser buys the other tequlia until someone gets knocked out in an elevator.

ND, I think the rim might be an inch or two low. Regardless, the ball went down baby. Note, it was the size of a nerf ball but next time I tell story it will be bigger.

Having done some incredibly dumb stuff with adp over the years, nothing would surprise me anymore.

Great call on Toby M hair. I've never seen a hair out of place.

I propose a 4.6 golf outing. CoP or down the shore. Liz can drive all the way from Michigan and set up a two-man team tournament. Last week in August down the shore. Outside activities beyond golf include dirty D arm-wrestling championship, push up contest and to see if anyone can out KJB, KJB and drink three beers at once. Tell me that wouldn't be fun.

The legend of adp grows.

I don't buy the current 4.8 40 or dunking ability. Even world class athletes lose lots of explosiveness in their mid 30s. The rest is believable though. You seem like a hard nosed worker. Not a fan of Hammer Strength for chest. they have an awkward smith machine like motion. Probably tailored more for people with 5' wingspans.

The Toby Maguire comparison is spot on.

I can't get into the Hammer Strength either. I'm not particularly tall, but it's an awkward motion. Plus you're basically lifting on the moon when it's not free weight.

The dunking story seems unbelievable, though it's slowly coming back down to earth (lower rim, small ball, etc...). ADP must do legs or something, hard to imagine a white 5'7 guy dunking on anything but an 8.5' hoop.

Who works out and doesn't do legs? Most important body part. Anyway, you guys must have serious white man's disease. IP said small ball. Those little rubber ones kids use on those pop up hoops. Very easy even at 39. I surprised myself a bit with the ease. Regardless, you guys must be seriously out of shape or have white man's disease. As many short guy jokes as ND makes he should be able to do this in his sleep. I also think the hoop could be an inch or two low, maybe. Full disclosure.

I'll take the under on that one ND.

I'll take a tennis ball with me to AC. We can hit up one of the local courts after our arm wrestling championship (if his arm is still attached).

How many days u in AC for hoss?

I'll head down either Wed night or Thurs AM, return to DC Monday. Bring the tennis ball. 5'8, don't steal that inch. I'm going to measure the hoop when I get home post baseball. Look for an update on the height around 8:30. Meetings until 3, you non-leaping boys have fun.

sorry my "prime" numbers arent impressive. who am i supposed to be Rich Froning?

i was a bball player and could sprint for days on end. not much of a distance runner. but to me any 5K under 20 min and any 5 miler under 35 mins are pretty good for a recreational runner. i used to do both without any training.

also 225 5 times is pretty good. i never tried to go heavier, why would I? im 6"2' 185 with long arms. hard to get a lot of weight up.

i have never dunked. jumping was not my game. pretty sure i couldnt dunk on a 9 foot rim right now.

Original plans were AC Wed/Thurs so that will work. Can't be there over the weekend.

Who works out and doesn't do legs? Most important body part. Anyway, you guys must have serious white man's disease. IP said small ball. Those little rubber ones kids use on those pop up hoops. Very easy even at 39. I surprised myself a bit with the ease. Regardless, you guys must be seriously out of shape or have white man's disease. As many short guy jokes as ND makes he should be able to do this in his sleep. I also think the hoop could be an inch or two low, maybe. Full disclosure.

Really no need to do legs regularly after college. Cardio 2-3x/week and legs once every 2-3 weeks.

ill do squats once a week. i can barely walk for three days after and once the soreness goes away its time to do them again. getting old sucks.

135 - 5 *10 is enough for me.

ill do squats once a week. i can barely walk for three days after and once the soreness goes away its time to do them again. getting old sucks.

135 - 5 *10 is enough for me.

Probably means you are doing too much weight. Do a lower amount of weight, but more reps. Good for part cardio but better for exercising those muscles.

Unless you use steroids and have a small weiner, it's about fitness not size.

135 is light. i think its more me being old. i also run a lot and golf 3-4 days a week carrying my own bag. my legs may just be wearing out. ill head to germany and get treatment like NBA players. so steroids are against rules but European platelet treatments arent?

Yeah I don't get these guys I see at the gym who only do tris, bis, delts, lats, chest, back - even forearm curls thrown in with zero leg or abs sets.

Legs suck. But more important to workout than any other body part.

No need to go out there and try and set records like adp. If certain exercises bother you, stay away (squats and hacks for me).

If you are sore three days after (even a day or two); ease up.

Oh and crucial to implement a good stretch routine. I ignored this just about all my life. Finally started a good 15 minute daily routine a couple years back. Cut down on the tightness/soreness big time. Imagine that.

Yeah I don't get these guys I see at the gym who only do tris, bis, delts, lats, chest, back - even forearm curls thrown in with zero leg or abs sets.

I usually work out 6 days a week, something along these lines:
Monday - Back/Bis
Tuesday - Raquetball/Cardio (Run 3-5 miles)
Wednesday - Chest/Tris
Thursday - Abs/Core
Friday - Cardio
Saturday - Back (if I did back on Monday) or Chest (if I did chest on Monday)
Sunday - Rest or Spin (or if I feel like it, legs every other week).

I run a decent amount so I figure that takes care of my legs. Shoulders I toss in sparingly either with back or chest.

i never work my arms. i do squats. power cleans, barbell rows, deadlifts and push presses regularly. add in push up, pull ups and dumbell bench and shoulder press and thats plenty to hit the arms. toes to bar or knees to elbow hanging from the pull up bar is the best ab work.

ill never understand why people do bi curls, tricep pushdowns, shoulder flies, decline bench press. what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

ill never understand why people do bi curls, tricep pushdowns, shoulder flies, decline bench press. what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

I don't really do much biceps/triceps because I think my back/chest workouts hit those enough. Shoulder flies are fine, don't see you would have any issue (especially if you do them in a super set).

Decline bench press is strictly so you can say you do more weight. I would say it adds about 20-25lbs to your max.

Doing arms is very overated. Always giggle at the people who do like 20 sets of various curls. I knockout a whole legs routine in the same time they are doing biceps. Just an ego thing for most.

Bi's should be getting plenty of work when you do back. Tri's when you do chest. I do mix in a few sets here and there; about 4 sets per week each. No need to do more.

Strongly recommend walking lunges for everyone. It's probably the best-low impact single thing to do. I do 3 sets, out 15 steps, back 15. I use 2, 30 lb dumbells, walk

slowly and go deep. It works your quads,

hammy's, hip flexors, everything without the stress of heavy weight. I do these, leg
extensions on a machine using 120, 3 sets of 10. 3 supersets (closes in, legs out of 8 reps each) with 350. Again not much
weight. Then finish with standing dumbell dead lifts. Again, point here is to go deep to stretch the hammy's and maintain flexibility-
explosion. I use 35 lbs dumbells and really stretch at the bottom. That is a great leg workout and won't hurt your joints while building strength and flexibility.

Bicep curls don't do much for me, kind of a boring exercise. Best exercise, though you look like a douche doing them, is muscle-ups. Weighted pull-ups are also good.

muscle ups are too hard on the joints and 99% of people cant do one of them. pull ups and chin ups hit everything in the upper body.

Muscle-ups aren't great for the wrists I suppose, but other than that I think it's fine. First muscle-up is pretty difficult, then it becomes a lot easier once you have form down.

I did some Farmer's carry(or walks) recently. Surprisingly brutal.

Nothing wrong with a good arm workout. Nobody likes Joe Officeworker who talks about functional strength. You're on a keyboard all day, not loading sacks of grain onto a boat. You work out to feel good about yourself. If it feels good, do it.

Why bother doing squats at 135#? Just do some challenging body weight stuff, work on core strength and flexibility.

Never did a crossfit workout until Memorial Day. As a fundraiser for a veteran's foundation, the workout was 1 mile run, 100 pullups, 200 push ups, 300 air squats, 1 mile run. Haven't been keeping up on my lifting over the last two years and that quantity of pullups was brutal.

your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs kinda contradict each other hoss.

I find contradiction to be an uninteresting criticism. I see your point though. I'll rephrase and try to make sense:

The poster is doing legs once a week at a YAWN weight and it only makes him feel horrible and sore. That's a lose/lose workout. Accomplish something in every workout- doesn't sound like that's happening here. Sometimes you lose sight of that and wake up with a dad bod.

If your best time in the mile was 4;45 and you never lost a race your competition truly sucked. Not that 4;45 is an awful time - it's solid - but it's beaten in every high school track meet I have been to over the last two years. By a lot.

Last edited:
Well if 135 is truly making him sore for 3 days, it's obvious to me that it isn't a "yawn" weight to him. Not everyone in the gym is adp-like. Shit, I don't even know if I could tolerate 135x10x5 anymore with my beat up knees.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT