ADVERTISEMENT

Walmart fight

If your best time in the mile was 4;45 and you never lost a race your competition truly sucked. Not that 4;45 is an awful time - it's solid - but it's beaten in just about every high school track meet I have been to over the last to years. By a lot.

Not a lie: My sister would ran 4:50s in high school. She was 2nd or 3rd in her league.

Well if 135 is truly making him sore for 3 days, it's obvious to me that it isn't a "yawn" weight to him. Not everyone in the gym is adp-like. Shit, I don't even know if I could tolerate 135x10x5 anymore with my beat up knees.

Eh. If you're sore for that long, it's probably the range of motion that's making you sore, not the weight. Work on flexibility and stabilizing muscles. Just my opinion, you are welcome to disagree.

ND - you need to learn the kipping motion to be able to do 100 pulls up, i can do 10 sets of 10 with kipping, in about 10 -15 mins.
dirtyd - i had a scope last July. my right knee feels so much better. just have to do my left and ill be better. thats why i only use 135. dont want to stress the knees.

and i will never have a dad bod. 6'2" 185-190 with 10% body fat. no way will i ever get over 15% thats when im 60 and everything sags.

Reactions: kjbert
btw how are the fatties doing?

Well, thanks. I'm down about 35 pounds since March 26th. Have my life back post CFP. At the gym 5 times a week. Running 3-4 miles a night and then do some machine work, but mostly running and lots of veggies and chicken. Cut out almost all carbs and I drink a lot of water.

I'm sure the next 20 pounds will be impossible to shed, but you can quickly change your body and health with some exercise and a proper diet.

Reactions: FatPhilM

Not great. Too many trips and hedonistic lifestyle. Would love to get down to adp-like weight but that would entail serious lifestyle changes, most of which I'm simply not willing to flirt with.

Just ordered a weighted speed rope with credit card points. Reading this thread I realized that my gym is woefully inadequate.

Eh. If you're sore for that long, it's probably the range of motion that's making you sore, not the weight. Work on flexibility and stabilizing muscles. Just my opinion, you are welcome to disagree.

First off, I doubt he is sore for that long. Most likely an excuse. Many people avoid legs for the same reasons. My old roommate:

"I blew out my leg in high school so I can't do legs..."
"I can't walk for days after doing legs..."
my favorite:
"My pants don't fit anymore after doing legs."

Legs hurt. They suck. Plenty of people skip them and give BS reasons for doing so.

But yes, I agree, need to stretch and work on flexibility much more. I neglected for years. Has made a huge difference.

ND - you need to learn the kipping motion to be able to do 100 pulls up, i can do 10 sets of 10 with kipping, in about 10 -15 mins.
dirtyd - i had a scope last July. my right knee feels so much better. just have to do my left and ill be better. thats why i only use 135. dont want to stress the knees.

All good. Keep doing your 135. I wish I could even do that anymore. I think I need a scope too. Need to get this fcker checked out; not getting any better. Achilles are sore as shit now too. As someone else said - getting old sucks.

The main reason people don't do legs is because the next 3 days are hell (particularly the 2nd day after working out). It's just not worth it unless you have to (group workout of some sort).

kjbert - 35 lbs is fantastic. just incredible in 3 months. great job. is another 20 your final goal? do 55 total?

dirtyd - the scope helps. i was back to my old self in a month. they go in , clean out loose bodies, shave down bone spurs and take out and torn meniscus. i had all three issues.

Try walking lungs. Start with 10-15 lb dumbells. Do them very slowly and keep building. I wouldn't even touch a squat wrack? Why at your age.

the Dean - you have to limit alcohol, thats a huge adjustment most people do not want to do. i probably drink 3 times a month max. so basically once every 10 days ill have a few beers.

Also have to cut out Soda all together and any sugary drinks like bottled iced teas , lemonades etc. you can brew tea add lemon and drink it cold. thats my drink every night for dinner.

also cut out rolls, bagels, candy, cakes, cookies. if you can do that you'll be able to lose weight. you are better off having ice cream that cookies pies or cakes if you need something sweet.

im 34 im not old. i actually do squats on the smith machine, takes pressure off the lower back .

im 34 im not old. i actually do squats on the smith machine, takes pressure off the lower back .
The compromise of the limited motion/stability of a smith machine squat might be helping you mask poor form. Try out a different method and see if it works for you. I would encourage free weights over machines for squats. Play around with footing and depth, see what fits you best.

Why would I lie? I'm not saying I won't go if a time called for it. Proximity and need to just haven't been there for me, I guess.

To be honest with you there really isn't one near me. The Target is close so I just go there for things.

Burrs: There is no point in lying since everyone knows who you are. You have already said that you live in Springfield, Delaware County. You have a Walmart about a mile from your house in the Marple shopping center off of Route 1. In fact, it is closer to your house than the Target.

The compromise of the limited motion/stability of a smith machine squat might be helping you mask poor form. Try out a different method and see if it works for you. I would encourage free weights over machines for squats. Play around with footing and depth, see what fits you best.
I rarely squat more than once per week. I generally do sets with 225 or so. I don't like to do more than 10-12 reps. I'm tight but fine the next day and I'm old.

I think that's a newer WaMart. Hey stayed away from Philly for the most part until the last 10 or so years. And I think burrs recently moved there. His excuse: PLAISIBLE.
mythbusters-about-the-show-page-image.jpg

Went down from 205 this time last year to 183 two weeks ago. Lowest weight since high school.

Currently in the throes of a two week European party vacation with no formal exercise, nightly booze and on the run meals. So as I type I feel like absolute shit. Actually, typing as a shit a questionable liquid substance...

But I still look sick shirtless, bro.
Source: some broad from ten hours ago.

Burrs: There is no point in lying since everyone knows who you are. You have already said that you live in Springfield, Delaware County. You have a Walmart about a mile from your house in the Marple shopping center off of Route 1. In fact, it is closer to your house than the Target.

Yea, there is one up at Marple Crossroads. I think it's kind of new. Probably last two years. Not sure. Still, I never been in there or any other Walmarts. It is about the same distance as the Target. However, we use Target's pharmacy and other stops are more in that direction.

Again, I'm not going to lie about never being in a Walmart. I'm not on here saying I am above them. Just never had a reason.

Update to correct the record: measured the hoop and it came in at 9'8.

Bring it. I threw down a little Nova basektball with great ease.

I agree about a 4:45 mile. That is maybe slightly above average for a high school miler. It shouldn't win any races in a competitive league. I was not a mile but could run under 4:45 in practice. The jumping ability for 5'6" (we all know 5'8" really means 5'6") is impressive though. I could barely dunk a tennis ball in my prime and I am supposedly 6'1" (probably more like 6' now). I had decent speed but always jumped like a white guy. I doubt I could touch the rim today.

I don't mean this to sound rude but is it normal for someone to squat 135 week after week and still be hurting for days? I am not in any great shape but I do sets of 10 with 225 and feel like I am slacking. I can do sets of 10 with 245 but don't usually because it makes my knees sore afterward. Or am I wrong? I hear guys talking about squatting with 400+ regularly.

To put things in perspective for "leading mile times":

2015 Penn Relay Results for Mile:
Women:
1st Place: 4:54.38
2nd Place: 4:54.98
3rd Place: 4:58.10
4th Place: 4:59.13
5th Place: 5:04.90

Mens:
1st Place: 4:07.15
2nd Place: 4:09.61
3rd Place: 4:09.69
4th Place: 4:09.94
5th Place: 4:12.58

My HS team was not very competitive, a few good runners who would run in the 4:30-4:40 range. I was JV by A LOT and ran a 5:15-5:20. Much slower now, would probably land in the low-mid 6s if I was really gunning it.

Most good HS kids around these parts will run under 4:30, but you see some under 4:20, and many under 4:40 in any decent race these days. I have not been to all that many meets, maybe 20 or so the last couple years - but I have never seen anyone win the mile at 4:45. Again though - it's not lot 4:45 is a bad time at all.

There is a kid at Bosco with a chance to break the local cross country record next fall I think. I think he may go under 15:00. I think he was a bit under 15:10 last year, and he's looked better in the spring.

I would think the elite high schoolers would be running sub 4:15-4:20. In places like North Jersey I would be stunned if you ever saw anyone win above 4:25ish.

ADP,

Were you winning JV races with 4:45 times? I'm finding it hard to believe -- even at a lower tier of competition, 4:45 would be good enough to win every time.

No shame in JV, I was JV captain myself.

ADP,

Were you winning JV races with 4:45 times? I'm finding it hard to believe -- even at a lower tier of competition, 4:45 would be good enough to win every time.

No shame in JV, I was JV captain myself.
this is where reading comprehension works well: I ran maybe 5-6 races per year. I'd come out when not playing tennis and the biggest meet I'd run is county. I'd show up, run at the front of the back and then leave everyone with about 300 to go and win by 20-30 yards. That was the extent of my mile work. I never trained, never had a strategy and just showed up and ran. I was simply responding to the question on best mile time.

I read what you said:

"4:45 in my prime. Never lost a race in high school. Only ran local meets and only when I didn't have a tennis match."

It's pretty cool that your school let you play 2 sports, not sure that was allowed at my HS. I guess if you're a super star it's allowed. I'm just surprised that if you ran 5-6x per year (against people who exclusively run the mile), including county championships, that you could go undefeated. I followed track pretty closely since it was the only sport that wouldn't cut me for being bad (like I said, JV Captain baby!!), 4:45 was not getting it done on any level other than junior.

I read what you said:

"4:45 in my prime. Never lost a race in high school. Only ran local meets and only when I didn't have a tennis match."

It's pretty cool that your school let you play 2 sports, not sure that was allowed at my HS. I guess if you're a super star it's allowed. I'm just surprised that if you ran 5-6x per year (against people who exclusively run the mile), including county championships, that you could go undefeated. I followed track pretty closely since it was the only sport that wouldn't cut me for being bad (like I said, JV Captain baby!!), 4:45 was not getting it done on any level other than junior.
That's probably the difference of being in the backwoods with 700 ppl in your high school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT