ADVERTISEMENT

Queeny Hamels no hitter?

Look out, we're entering, "top 5 games played as a SS territory". Let the creation of categories begin. That's worth at least half a calf tattoo right there. How many E-A-G-L-E-S chants has he inspired?

Let's disect this:
Fun Fact: Rollins will end his career with
1. more hits.
2. Doubles,
3. triples,
4. home runs,
5. stolen bases,
6. runs,
7. RBIs than Larkin.
He will also be considered
8. a better fielder,
9. who had 7 higher fielding % seasons than Larkin's .983 (In a full season) best season. 10. And he play in three times as many postseason games.
1. Compiling
2. Compiling
3. Compiling
4. Compiling
5. Compiling
6. Compiling / team dependent
7. Compiling / team dependent
8. moderately better. Larking has 3 Gold Gloves to Rollins' 4.
9. their defensive WAR is comparable, Larkin had gr8 range in his prime. Rollins never did.
10. team dependent.

So, we have established that Rollins is a drastically less efficient offensive player but possibly a tad more consistent defensively. Not a strong case, Burrs.

I just hope eating popcorn gif's are still around.

I just hope eating popcorn gif's are still around.

Since I have not seen a MLB game since 1986, it is strange that I was at Cooperstown for the 30th
consecutive year last weekend. Our son who has been a SABR member in those years doesn't drive;
I drive him over every year. After induction there is a SABR meeting. One of the best discussions
concerned why more managers and BB executives aren't in the HOF. It turned into a political
argument about players' union versus management. I have been down that road for decades.

One SABR official has a new book out on the hidden ball tricks. It seems as if Crosetti
and the Yankees were masters of that trick. I didn't pay $30 for the book nor did my son.

615.gif

Larkin played until he was 40. But yea, punish Rollins because he started a little earlier and was less injured.

ADP, so finishing with the top 5 games played at a position as important as SS isn't a nice accomplishment? Yea, just anyone can do that.

Larkin played until he was 40. But yea, punish Rollins because he started a little earlier and was less injured.

ADP, so finishing with the top 5 games played at a position as important as SS isn't a nice accomplishment? Yea, just anyone can do that.
If that's what you are using as a lead on his case for the baseball Hall of Fame, it's not an important accomplishment in the context of the conversation. No, not even a little. However, I look forward to your journey as you begin to try and make new categories to support Rollins non-existent chances into the Hall of Fame. What's next, how many cheesesteaks consumed in a 24 hour period. Spoiler alert, Ryan Howard wins that contest.

If that's what you are using as a lead on his case for the baseball Hall of Fame, it's not an important accomplishment in the context of the conversation. No, not even a little. However, I look forward to your journey as you begin to try and make new categories to support Rollins non-existent chances into the Hall of Fame. What's next, how many cheesesteaks consumed in a 24 hour period. Spoiler alert, Ryan Howard wins that contest.

God, you're an idiot sometimes.

By the way, I found your Desmond comments from earlier this year. You should check them out.

I'm the idiot here. Ok, rollins to the hall.

I'm the idiot here. Ok, rollins to the hall.

When you bring up calf tattoos and cheesesteaks, then yes you're an idiot sometimes.

You're way absolute on so many of your comments. No one said he's even close to a lock. I'm saying he's in the conversation with a chance. Last week I listed that chance at 45%. It's a fair statement. Unlike your statements on the subject, which many baseball writers have disputed when speaking about Rollins.

When you bring up calf tattoos and cheesesteaks, then yes you're an idiot sometimes.

You're way absolute on so many of your comments. No one said he's even close to a lock. I'm saying he's in the conversation with a chance. Last week I listed that chance at 45%. It's a fair statement. Unlike your statements on the subject, which many baseball writers have disputed when speaking about Rollins.

Oh I didn't realize you in all of your baseball wisdom pegged at 45%. You realize that' nearly 50% right? Your boy does not have a close to even chance. Take away the 4 or 5 and you've nailed it.

Oh I didn't realize you in all of your baseball wisdom pegged at 45%. You realize that' nearly 50% right? Your boy does not have a close to even chance. Take away the 4 or 5 and you've nailed it.

There are people more versed than you that disagree. But continue to be stubborn and hard-headed.

There are people more versed than you that disagree. But continue to be stubborn and hard-headed.
Thats a rich statement considering the source. The open-minded one has spoken.

Thats a rich statement considering the source. The open-minded one has spoken.

Again, because you're more definitive in your statement than I am. The opposite of your stance is that he's a 100%, no brainer, first ballot HOFer. Well, that's not me....

Statement (adp): Jimmy Rollins has no chance at the hall of fame.
Negation (burrs): Jimmy Rollins has at least a chance at the hall of fame.

One of these statements must be true (law of excluded middle).

Stay tuned BWers......

Shame Dmil is dead. He'd be in the thick of this debate with his special brand of dickheadedness trolling we've all come to expect from him.

Shame Dmil is dead. He'd be in the thick of this debate with his special brand of dickheadedness trolling we've all come to expect from him.

Ha ha ha ha.....so true..

What would you "Alt"s and casual posters do if the likes of myself, ADP, Dmil, ND, maybe a couple of others weren't here to keep you entertained?

Ha ha ha ha.....so true..

What would you "Alt"s and casual posters do if the likes of myself, ADP, Dmil, ND, maybe a couple of others weren't here to keep you entertained?

So odd. You do realize that BW would be just fine without you, right? How friggin arrogant do you have to be to think that you are indispensable on a message board? You constantly mention that this board would suck without you. You are wrong.

So odd. You do realize that BW would be just fine without you, right? How friggin arrogant do you have to be to think that you are indispensable on a message board? You constantly mention that this board would suck without you. You are wrong.

Relax. I'm kidding. Jesus Christ. You know nothing about me other than what I portray on this board. And a high percentage of the time I'm simply messing around. Even when I go back and forth with those guys.

You know what? You're right. The board would just fall off the face of the Earth if I left it. You got me. You figured it out. Good job, Chuck.

Texas and Dodger both refuse to part with top two prospects for Hamels. Interesting to see how this plays out. Texas isn't going anywhere this year so no need for them to make a deal. They have the hammer. Dodgers are going to get another starter but could always turn to Samargia or another one of the many available. Hamels will get moved but it will be interesting to see how this evolves.

Burrs, ever since that taco you've changed.

At this point I hope the Phils wait until the off season to pull the trigger.

In many cases these prospects turn out to be duds. If you want a proven top of the line starter in his prime and under team control, then be prepared to pay. If not, then no deal.

What you guys don't get is that every team knows the Phillies have to deal. There are many pitchers out there. The Phillies have no leverage and they won't have anymore this off season. Just do the deal before his value goes down.

I can already see where this is headed....Phillies hold the line and think they are going to get 3 or 4 teams into a bidding war which will net them a huge haul. But instead teams will all go to plan B leaving Ruben once again with his tiny dick in his hand.

What you guys don't get is that every team knows the Phillies have to deal. There are many pitchers out there. The Phillies have no leverage and they won't have anymore this off season. Just do the deal before his value goes down.

What you don't understand is that they don't have to do the deal. And if you're not getting what you perceive as fair value back, then what's the point? You don't make a trade just to say you made one. Just because the Phillies stink doesn't mean you should give him away. Really, not hard to understand.

All indications are that Texas wants to trade now because in offseason other teams could become involved.

I think some are underestimating how much the rentals/FAs this offseason are going to cost. Hameks will be a bargain in comparison.

No, they have to make a deal. What does holding onto hamels do for them? Maybe they win 75 games? You keep telling us how the deal will get better at the next selling point, off season,trade deadline etx...make the deal as he's not getting any younger. Nothing good happens to raise his value. The guy just threw a no-hitter for ctying out loud and the phils still can't get teams best prospects. What do you think changes after trying to trade the guy for over a year? Tall about hard-headed. He'll get moved thuraday and they will get some good pieces in return. They aren't going to get a perfect deal. Accept it and make the best deal out there. So silly.

Burrs,you act like rentals aren't being tRade and get traded every year. We know exactly what they cost. Do y ou believe th e stuff you write?

Yes, make the deal if it is fair and worth it. No, don't make a deal just to say you made one. What don't you understand?

You don't give away Hamels because the team won't be good. That's stupid.teams who have financial troubles do that. That's not the case here.

And who said rentals aren't getting moved? Not me.

I said rentals, who will be FAs, aren't going to come cheap this offseason. In that regard Hamels might be a better option for some teams. In fact, a few have said so.

I think some are underestimating how much the rentals/FAs this offseason are going to cost. Hameks will be a bargain in comparison.[/QUOTE]

Here is the quote: We know exactly how much rentals cost because they have already gotten moved as they do every year. Cuerto, got moved. We know the cost. Kazmir got moved, we know the cost. Neither were seen as moved for packages that cost teams too much but reasonable deals for both sides. That's how these deals happen. If you hold out hope of fleecing teams you end not making a deal because there are always more players available than teams taking guys back. Especially those owed $73.5 million after this season. Let's just keep this intellectually honest. We know exactly what these rentals costs so no need to act like anyone is underestimating anything. It's already happened.

Being owed 73.5 isn't a bad thing. Do you understand the market for FA pitching and the economics of baseball?

No one said rentals won't get moved. Two already have. But these rentals will be FAs come winter and cost a ton. This isn't Hamels. He's signed. There is value in that in the eyes of a lot of teams.

On top of that, Cueto brought back KCs 2nd best prospect and two other intriguing arms. He's a rental and KC probably will let him go after this season. Hamels should fetch more than this.

Burrs, again, they don't cost a ton. We saw the guys who got moved. The A's got back two decent prospects for Kazmir. Neither guy is a top 10 prospect in the Astros system (per Keith Law so don't kill the messenger). We're not talking studs here.

Cuerto, brought back 3 arms, none of whom are considered elite and the Royals system is mid pack at best. Both were very reasonable deals by people who do this stuff for a living. Again, let's try to stick to facts here and keep it intellectually honest. No need for you to continue making stuff up. These trades happened.

So, the point you are making is the rentals will cost a ton to resign? That's an entirely different argument.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT