ADVERTISEMENT

Active Shooter in San Berdoo

There are several mass murders in the last 5 years that involved automatic weapons (two in the last two weeks). How small of an issue is it that we should disregard it? Why make it easier for people who are looking to do as much damage as possible to do so? It's significantly harder to kill 15 people with a pistol than an AK47.

Nothing more misunderstood than the difference b/t an automatic and semi-auto.

People see these big military looking guns an wrongly think that's an automatic weapon. USUALLY it is not.

Doesn't matter what the gun looks like. It's simple:

Automatic: One trigger pull... multiple bullets

Semi-Auto: One trigger pull... one bullet. This usually includes those big intimidating assault rifles.

I believe all weapons used yesterday were SEMI. Not 100% on this.

Reactions: NickleDimer
There are several mass murders in the last 5 years that involved automatic weapons (two in the last two weeks). How small of an issue is it that we should disregard it? Why make it easier for people who are looking to do as much damage as possible to do so? It's significantly harder to kill 15 people with a pistol than an AK47.
Automatic weapons just increase the body counts, they don't stop the shootings, pal.

What'd I just say? If were going to live in a society that has to deal with this on a biweekly basis, why not cut down on the bodies?

Interesting, semi-unrelated fact. There have been ~50 instances this year where a toddler (3 years old or younger) has shot someone (or themselves) in the US this year. Happens more than once a week.

While I do think we should limit the amount of gun sales, the major issue seems to be permitting automatic weapons. There's absolutely no reason why civilians should be allowed to buy them.

they addressed your major issue in 1986

What'd I just say? If were going to live in a society that has to deal with this on a biweekly basis, why not cut down on the bodies?

Interesting, semi-unrelated fact. There have been ~50 instances this year where a toddler (3 years old or younger) has shot someone (or themselves) in the US this year. Happens more than once a week.

Agreed, but automatics are not being used often in these shootings. It's usually semi-auto. Whether it's a pistol or some huge assault rifle AR-15 thingy; way more often than not they are SEMI.

This guy & his wife got radicalized by somebody under an psudo- Islamic umbrella

We also just learned yesterday that our NATO buddy Turkey has been buying ISIS oil & leaders own son has marine transport business.

& then their's Saudi Arabia & also terrorists mixed in w/ refuges..

but let's talk about gun laws.........

Reactions: ericw and lowry99
I think the most common factor in everyday gun violence is poverty. Combat poverty and you combat a lot of the problem.

As for mass shootings, the truly dedicated will find a way to execute them no matter what. I'm talking about the well thought out ones. Mexico has very strict gun laws but that doesn't stop them from gun violence - but the mass shooting of innocents doesn't appear to be a "thing" there (I have no data for this, but seems to be gangs vs. gangs/police). Looking at Europe is pointless - we live in America and have to deal with the realities of our continent/cultures up to this point.

I just hope whoever most commonly kills people from here on out are of the race which best justifies my political ideologies

Key is global warming. That's our biggest threat and key to solving gun violence.

In an unprecedented move by the United States government, they have resolved to address two separate issues in the same year. More at 11

Key is global warming. That's our biggest threat and key to solving gun violence.
I feel like the pyramids might have something to do with it.

Ben-Carson-Screen-Shot-2015-10-28-at-7.09.30-PM.png

Reactions: HereComeTheCats

The problem here to me is more horrible irresponsible parenting than gun laws. If your toddler is able to get a hold of a loaded firearm in your house, you're an a$$hole. There's only so much idiot-proofing you can do in society.

Only about .5% of people that submit background checks get denied the right to purchase a gun.

The second amendment refers to well regulated militias. Besides neighborhood-watch guys like George Zimmerman -- I'm not sure we have those anymore.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

While I do think we should limit the amount of gun sales, the major issue seems to be permitting automatic weapons. There's absolutely no reason why civilians should be allowed to buy them.
  1. And those people who fail background checks are never sent to jail.
  2. "Well regulated" in an 18th century context doesn't mean what you think it means. It simply means something in proper working order.
  3. While it is technically legal to buy and sell automatic weapons, it is highly cumbersome. You basically have to go through the same background check as someone who is applying to become an FBI agent. Also, the major issue in the country in terms of gun violence has nothing to do with long guns, but people shooting other people in American cities using handguns. A plurality of those guns were purchased on the black market and a tiny minority were purchased legally with a background check.

Despite this guy's religious background, I'm not willing to jump the gun and say that this was Islamist terrorism yet.

My biggest question is that if it was terrorism, then why the hell would he kill a bunch of county government workers in San Bernardino? Why not a military or federal government target or better yet, a civilian target in a place that wasn't San effing Bernardino?

There have been reports of some slight or conflict at work. Maybe the holiday party celebrated Christianity but didn't acknowledge Islam and he flew off the handle.

Despite this guy's religious background, I'm not willing to jump the gun and say that this was Islamist terrorism yet.

My biggest question is that if it was terrorism, then why the hell would he kill a bunch of county government workers in San Bernardino? Why not a military or federal government target or better yet, a civilian target in a place that wasn't San effing Bernardino?

Why didn't the guys in Paris (or countless other Islamic terrorists) go after a military/govt target?

Like I said, he was probably planning something like that, given his arsenal. The he audibles...

He goes to the work party with his most likely usual chip on his shoulder. Something happens that pisses him off more. Goes home and tells ole lady, "its on, we doing this today, I cant take these Christians anymore... someone had the audacity to say "Merry Christmas" to me. Praise Allah.."

He realizes this will be an easy task. He knows people are congregated there... easy targets... knows the layout... etc.

There have been reports of some slight or conflict at work. Maybe the holiday party celebrated Christianity but didn't acknowledge Islam and he flew off the handle.

CNN actually had an "expert" say this exact thing on the air last night, and her tongue wasn't even firmly planted in cheek.

yep. guy was offended because of Christmas party. so he runs home, assembles a few quick pipe bombs, dons his best tactical gear and heads back to shoot the place up.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Why didn't the guys in Paris (or countless other Islamic terrorists) go after a military/govt target?
Because it's Paris, the most popular international tourist destination on earth and one of the five most economically consequential cities on earth.

Because it's Paris, the most popular international tourist destination on earth and one of the five most economically consequential cities on earth.

Ok well maybe what they did didn't fully match an Izzy terrorists usual way of doing things.

But it surely didn't match the usual workplace violence either. Those nuts usually don't have a partner, body armor, pipe bombs, tons of guns, Muslims, Mid-eastern heritage, etc.

Please list where the other 355 mass shooters this year were radicalized.
I'll start it off...
The crazy old guy in Colorado was radicalized in a whirlwind of cable news rhetoric.
Time to ban Cable News?

Yup, no doubt more gun control laws would have prevented this. Especially since most if not all of those laws that Obama says we need are already in place in California, a state with some of the strictest gun control laws in the country. After all, we all know that people building pipe bombs in their garage looking to blow up their co-workers are also law abiding citizens. However, only if we stop the polar ice caps from melting can we truly save the world for terrorism.

Yup, no doubt more gun control laws would have prevented this. Especially since most if not all of those laws that Obama says we need are already in place in California, a state with some of the strictest gun control laws in the country. After all, we all know that people building pipe bombs in their garage looking to blow up their co-workers are also law abiding citizens. However, only if we stop the polar ice caps from melting can we truly save the world for terrorism.

Honestly what does climate have to do with anything? Because we can't fix gun violence (which I mostly agree with) it means we can't try to use more clean fuel? What am I missing here?

Hey guys, there's this thing called heart disease which kills hundreds of thousands of people each year. So, when it comes to having properly functioning sewer systems - who even cares, right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT