ADVERTISEMENT

Active Shooter in San Berdoo

Did anyone see Anthony Jeselnik's standup on Netflix? (It largely sucked)

But he made the point when blowhards say "my thoughts and prayers" are with the victims for any tragedy, really all theyre saying is "Dont forget about me in all of this."

Its effing true. Get over yourself.
+1

But what about how few people have died from terrorism vs guns?

And ADP - point taken, they donate lots because they have a voter base. I point to the money because it is representative of their influence - and that no one wants that money to go away, on either side of the aisle (see unions).
yes, but there are actually people who won't take NRA's money but also don't want them targeting them with their grassroots.

But what about how few people have died from terrorism vs guns?

This is more of a forward-looking concern to me. I'm going to assume that deaths in the West from terrorism in the last 15 years are rising on a steeper slope than gun deaths. And that jihadists with access to a more efficient means of killing than guns would use them given the opportunity, causing a bigger spike.

Guns are not the top option for jihadists, or close to it -- more of a "better than nothing" option for them.

Regardless, am not against somewhat stricter gun control laws in a number of areas but still a fundamentally different concern from the terror threat.

I don't know. This sounds a lot like all those post 9/11 "sleeper cells" that we were panicked about. Certainly it's a concern and something to be monitored and beat down where necessary, but reports of their impending takeover seems exaggerated.

About two weeks ago after the Paris attacks & before the global warming summit Obama made comments in a press conference on the best ways to fight ISIS. He went on to say that his attending the Global Warming summit will show ISIS that they cannot win. I'm paraphrasing slightly but basically while all the reporters were asking questions about what the US strategy to fight ISIS is & whether the US would help rally the world together in this fight his answer was basically "I'm attending the global warming summit-that will show them!!!"

Good to know that Obama saying something stupid about an unrelated subject means it is a free pass for everyone else to go out and use the same tactic in their own debates? I guess?

Nickeldime brain,

100,000+ jihadists have been recruited to fight in Syria from around 100 Countries.

This has gone on for over 4 years.

Our media calls it a "civil war" this is BS

Get your head out of ur ass & realize how large & involved this operation is.

The issue with gun control is that as long as the NRA is allowed to pump money to politicians, there won't be enough support to get anything done on a national level. So the way to stop the NRA is to stop/change the political lobby system. Unfortunately for democrats, they can't do that becuase there are 35 organizations/companies which donated more to democats than the NRA donates to rebuplican (oh yeah and nearly $4MM to democrats as well). Its a broken system that is built to be all about talk and not about action, and at the end of the day, all most people care about is what they hear (oh and how many likes they get on their progressive gun control tweet/facebook post).
FACT: The NRA is more popular than any active politician in the United States.

I don't know. This sounds a lot like all those post 9/11 "sleeper cells" that we were panicked about. Certainly it's a concern and something to be monitored and beat down where necessary, but reports of their impending takeover seems exaggerated.
Exactly. The fact that Muslims who live in our country don't live in ghettos like they do in Europe makes such things much less of a problem.

"Senate Democrats made a last-minute effort to attach two amendments to Senate Republicans' legislation to defund Planned Parenthood and repeal parts of Obamacare. The amendments, which would have expanded background checks and made it harder for known or suspected terrorists to purchase guns, failed by votes of 45-54 and 47-50, respectively. Democrats needed 60 votes for each of the amendments to pass"

I'm sure there is some roundabout reasoning for this I'm not aware of but why not?

The thing i find fascinating with the radical jihadist faction is that it is an anti-intellectual, anti-progressive movement in a time when the world is moving at relatively light speed.

Access to information (factual information, not religious "information") has never been greater to such a high percentage of the human race. And yet, a de-evolutionary movement seems to be gaining popularity in large number of countries. Its not even from a fascist regime, as the internet should provide access to separate worldviews.

There is something innately flawed in either the Arab culture, or the Muslim religion.
Its truly fascinating.
The jihadists are trying to precipitate the "final battle" (Armageddon in the Christian and Jewish religions) that will cause the return of the Mahdi who will establish the worldwide caliphate. Wade, there are billions of people without access to information and/or the Internet. You're showing your gentrification with the above post that has no basis in reality. There are huge swaths of the earth that don't even have electricity much less the Internet.

the above post that has no basis in reality.

Classic.

91f6dd68daab71e581e602a420a09114.jpg

Ole lady pledged allegiance to ISIS on Facebook. So I guess it isn't just workplace violence, Shocked about this. Can't believe this isn't just some dude (coincidentally a Muslim) who got pissed at work and went home to get his gun... and assault rifles, pipe bombs, remote control bomb, body armor, etc.

Reactions: Jerseyjoe027
Is there a difference between "pledging allegiance" to ISIS and actually being part of them or funded and supported by them? Will be interesting to see the level of connection that emerges as this investigation continues.

I'll handle this one Cwertz...

So you are saying is that they have to be funded/supported by ISIS for this to be considered radical Islamic terrorism?

I'll handle this one Cwertz...

So you are saying is that they have to be funded/supported by ISIS for this to be considered radical Islamic terrorism?

Haha. No, but it's worth recognizing the difference between "inspired by radicals" and "funded, taught and rubbed elbows with radicals". There probably needs to be different approaches to shutting down the two types.

Is there a difference between "pledging allegiance" to ISIS and actually being part of them or funded and supported by them? Will be interesting to see the level of connection that emerges as this investigation continues.

It's enough, you can lay down the contrarian sword now.

But for ISIS/al qaeda/whetever jihadi group dejour this thing does not happen.

Haha. No, but it's worth recognizing the difference between "inspired by radicals" and "funded, taught and rubbed elbows with radicals". There probably needs to be different approaches to shutting down the two types.
I agree - it's one thing to be acting on instruction and funding from ISIS "command and control" and another to be a fan playing fantasy jihad.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Except for the fact that Isis has stated that they encourage this type of lone wolf terrorism that they can then claim as theirs.

Two weeks ago, Farook and one of the co-workers he killed, 52-year-old Nicholas Thalasinos, had a heated conversation about Islam, according to Kuuleme Stephens, a friend of the victim’s.

Ms. Stephens said she happened to call Mr. Thalasinos while he was at work and having a discussion with Farook. She said Mr. Thalasinos told her that Farook “doesn’t agree that Islam is not a peaceful religion.”

Aikman Touchdown! Unbelievable!

Except for the fact that Isis has stated that they encourage this type of lone wolf terrorism that they can then claim as theirs.
Fox Business just reported that Obysmal has sent Loretta Lynn to San Bernardino to monitor the FBI director's press statements because the administration thinks it's too early to call this a terrorist attack! WTF? An FBI press conference scheduled for 3:30 has been delayed.

Reactions: Greg Woodward
The bending over backwards not to call this a terrorist attack is beyond ridiculous at this point.

If the only way that we can reduce the number of incidents is by redefining terrorism, then maybe we should be worried. Does bin laden have to do it for it to count?

Fox Business just reported that Obysmal has sent Loretta Lynn to San Bernardino to monitor the FBI director's press statements because the administration thinks it's too early to call this a terrorist attack! WTF? An FBI press conference scheduled for 3:30 has been delayed.
MWG, this is the least surprising post of all time.

The guns:
sw_mp15T.jpg

dpms_rifle.jpg

farook-malik-handguns.jpg
The rifles were retro-fitted by cutting down the barrel and adding optical sites at an estimated $2000 a piece. Couple that with 1400 rounds of ammunition and numerous IED's and you have Obysmal's average suburban couple who are NRA terrorists!

Should we openly talk about impeachment? if Obama
will not even acknowledge the major uptick of Islamic terrorism attacks & the unholy alliance of our gulf oil "friends", still pushing jihad in Syria?

It's not radical islam. Let's have empathy for the plight of these people. The poor guy was the product of immigrant parents from Pakistan, educated by public schools in America, and met his bride, one of the women our president scolded people people for being afraid of, online. Thankfully, she passed our stringent screening process hillary and the president told us would catch the refugees. It will be funny to watch the mainstream press ignore these facts and focus on gun control. Which I agree needs to be changed along with the idiot in charge and frontrunner for dem nomination.

It's not radical islam. Let's have empathy for the plight of these people. The poor guy was the product of immigrant parents from Pakistan, educated by public schools in America, and met his bride, one of the women our president scolded people people for being afraid of, online. Thankfully, she passed our stringent screening process hillary and the president told us would catch the refugees. It will be funny to watch the mainstream press ignore these facts and focus on gun control. Which I agree needs to be changed along with the idiot in charge and frontrunner for dem nomination.
This guy was a US citizen, this woman (his wife) was a permanent resident that came in on a visa from one of our allies remember.. not a refugee. I fail to see the connection. If you are suggesting we should start holding our "ally" accountable for its exportation of terrorism to our shores (not the first time if you remember two buildings that fell), then yes I agree something needs to change. Linking this to the refugees is kind of intellectually dishonest though. We have 20M+ that come here from countries with visas waiver and countless others using visas that receive much less scrutiny than those refugees would (e.g., those aforementioned Saudis that brought down buildings)... but sure the refugees are the boogeyman.

If these two were self radicalized what is the answer? Is the suggestion that somehow more intervention in Syria would have stopped this? Are we welcoming more mass surveillance of citizens? The Trump registry? is that what we want? Singling out a group of citizens because of their religion? disregarding the civil liberties we have here?

Trumps idea of executing family members of terrorists is gaining traction as a decent strategy among the "'Murica! F**k YEAH!" crowd.

Reactions: NickleDimer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT