ADVERTISEMENT

Active Shooter in San Berdoo

i'd prefer the bears to just leave me alone while i eat my granola and enjoy nature.

quite a departure to point out how no where in the US do you have to worry about being shot?

or are you one of those people who irrationally fears individuals who get concealed-carry permits?

I believe that many people who feel the need to get CC permits are practically seeking out opportunities to fire their weapons in public - to fulfill a delusional role-playing sense of heroism. And I don't trust anyone, especially the kind of First Class, Grade A, Blue Ribbon, Jackass, Yo-Yo, DOUCHEBAG who feels the need to carry a gun around while picking up their dry cleaning or going grocery shopping. So yes, I absolutely fear those individuals.

Reactions: NickleDimer
that's an incredible level of paranoia. good luck with that.

I believe that many people who feel the need to get CC permits are practically seeking out opportunities to fire their weapons in public - to fulfill a delusional role-playing sense of heroism.
That's laughable.
d4qkihevmqykyjr682v9.gif

And again - a little slow today? - I live in Manhattan - there is no paranoia whatsover.

Situation A: you and another person are in a room

Situation B: you and another person with a gun holstered to their waist are in a room

Give me A every time. Anyone who prefers B is a psychopath

what if a guy high on PCP with a machete is trying to get in and the door is giving way and he's trying to kill you?

good luck with option A

that's an incredible level of paranoia. good luck with that.
what if a guy high on PCP with a machete is trying to get in and the door is giving way and he's trying to kill you?
good luck with option A

Help me reconcile those two positions? So, the people who are paranoid by others who feel the need to always havin a gun on their body are the ones with a paranoia problem. Not the ones who make this example of the need to own a gun due to the chance a drug induced guy with a machete comes into their home? Two things, my wife had a friend at GW grad school die in this manner. A high drug addict came into his apart building, barged into his apartment, killed and robbed him. It can happen and my house has a gun for this very reason, to protect my family. However, let's walk through this line of thought. How does that make others paranoid of those who want a permet to conceal and carry picking up the dry cleaning? You see the distinction here?

Absolutely no problem with keeping a gun in your house. Have as many as you want! Assemble an arsenal to make Rambo and the Terminator proud. But that is a far, far galaxy away from concealed carry.

If I see some dickhead with a gun in my neighborhood I'm going to remember him, stake him out, call the cops, and get his sorry ass slapped with a Class E felony. Ask Plaxico Burress if he still goes out to clubs with his GAT.

It's really not much to ask that people are not packing outside of the home - unless it's for some legit activity like hunting/target shooting.

Help me reconcile those two positions? So, the people who are paranoid by others who feel the need to always havin a gun on their body are the ones with a paranoia problem. Not the ones who make this example of the need to own a gun due to the chance a drug induced guy with a machete comes into their home? Two things, my wife had a friend at GW grad school die in this manner. A high drug addict came into his apart building, barged into his apartment, killed and robbed him. It can happen and my house has a gun for this very reason, to protect my family. However, let's walk through this line of thought. How does that make others paranoid of those who want a permet to conceal and carry picking up the dry cleaning? You see the distinction here?

I'm afraid of both the guy with the gun and the guy with the machete. There can be a drugged up guy with a gun thrown into the theoreticals as well. Let's also toss in a guy with a baseball bat. The point is, anyone who carries around a weapon is a huge loser.

Having them in your house - I understand completely. There may come a time. Hunting - sure, hunters mean no harm. Having a gun on you amongst normal people going about their day or in a social situation? You're a huge loser.

I'm not saying don't allow people to do so. I just hate when a gun is introduced to any situation - it can only make things worse.

I'm afraid of both the guy with the gun and the guy with the machete. There can be a drugged up guy with a gun thrown into the theoreticals as well. Let's also toss in a guy with a baseball bat. The point is, anyone who carries around a weapon is a huge loser.

Having them in your house - I understand completely. There may come a time. Hunting - sure, hunters mean no harm. Having a gun on you amongst normal people going about their day or in a social situation? You're a huge loser.

I'm not saying don't allow people to do so. I just hate when a gun is introduced to any situation - it can only make things worse.

Did the Trumpian catch phrase "you're a huge loser" just into your vocab or was it an intentional use?

you took two separate posts and connected them in order to make it seem i said something i did not. let's be clear, nowhere did i opine on the paranoia level of a person who carries a gun outside of their home. pretty rich to take my hypothetical scenario presented to refute another poster's hypothetical scenario and deduce i'm so paranoid of drug induced murders barging into my home i own a gun.

my opinion on the paranoia of people with CCW is just numbers. the vast majority of people who take the time to go through the training, get licensed, and carry on a regular basis are law abiding citizens. i mean if you're scared of a gun in the hands of these people, i can't imagine the paralyzing fear you have of cars parked outside of a bars.

But what paranoia drives the need to always carry a gun? You don't have any issues with that paranoia, just those paranoid about the gun toting paranoids.

the vast majority of people who take the time to go through the training, get licensed, and carry on a regular basis are law abiding citizens.

1105-swingers-sue-768-launch-480w.jpg

Come on guys, I couldn't back down - that guy called me a 'bitch.' We kept our rep bro!

Allow me to offer this additional piece of life advice, putting your faith in the intelligence of the masses will lead to disappointment, especially if they are always armed.

Reactions: Box+1
But what paranoia drives the need to always carry a gun? You don't have any issues with that paranoia, just those paranoid about the gun toting paranoids.
as king of pointing out the straw man argument, it's ironic you'd present me as having an opinion i never offered.

you keep a gun in your home to protect your family. does that mean you place less value on the safety of your family when you leave your home?

Until 2009 those requesting a 90 day Fiancé visa had to appear in person in front of immigration officials and undergo a background check. Since 2009 this can be done easily on-line. ISIS has this information in their training manual for those looking to enter the USA

The USA has a full history of denying entry to particular groups, particulsrly when the economy was not strong.

Did we allow Germans and Japanese to enter the country during WW2?

as king of pointing out the straw man argument, it's ironic you'd present me as having an opinion i never offered.

you keep a gun in your home to protect your family. does that mean you place less value on the safety of your family when you leave your home?
No but my family spends the bulk of time in our home. It's similar to why do most accidents occur within 3 miles of your house? Because you spend most of your time 3 miles within your home. Protecting your home in my mind is much different than being vigilant and carrying at all times. My hope is to have a gun stored in my home and never use it beyond shooting at a range. My life is better if myself and those around me aren't carrying weapons specifically made to kill stuff. However, my wife and I have made a joint decision that we both feel better owning a gun for our home. That's my point of view from which I make my decisions on guns.

And I"m waiting for your response. I did not create a strawman argument in the least. Please provide the answer on my paranoia question. I want to ensure I have the appropriate level of paranoia and of whom. I need a scoreboard to keep this stuff straight.

You don't have any issues with that paranoia, just those paranoid about the gun toting paranoids.

you assume i don't have any issues with the paranoia of individuals who carry. i never said that. don't put words into my mouth. if you have a question, ask me. don't make shit up.

Do you support concealed weapons?
Do find people who feel the need to carry concealed weapons paranoid?
Do you agree with people who are paranoid of people who feel the need to carry concealed weapons?
Are you paranoid of a drug induced person trying to enter your home with a machete or find that to be a reasonable fear?

This poor former Villanova lacrosse player got shot six times when all he wanted to do was give a Temple law student a beating for mouthing off at him and his friends....
DiDanato.jpg

Do you support concealed weapons?
Do find people who feel the need to carry concealed weapons paranoid?
Do you agree with people who are paranoid of people who feel the need to carry concealed weapons?
Are you paranoid of a drug induced person trying to enter your home with a machete or find that to be a reasonable fear?

i support the right of individuals to get a CCW. that would be legally carrying a concealed weapon.

certainly people who carry are paranoid. however, i don't see any difference in someone keeping a weapon at home or legally concealed on their person in public as far as levels of paranoia. both are taking measures to ensure their safety from some perceived possible threat.

i disagree with people who are paranoid of people who feel the need to carry legally concealed weapons. people without a CCW that carry are certainly to be feared.

i am not paranoid of a drug induced person trying to enter my home with a machete. my living situation isn't exactly conducive to this type of scenario occurring. in some areas, i'm sure it's a reasonable fear, just not mine.

In summary, you find those who legally carry paranoid and those who are paranoid about them just as paranoid. So I should have an equal level of paranoia to both those who feel the need to carry and those paranoid of said people. Clearly guns are the result of and cause of paranoia. So maybe you have fewer and paranoia drops? I think we all learned something today. Big day for the newsgroup.

Novatras, my original post which lead to this debate was meant to highlight how when you add a gun to any situation the "stakes" immediately become different. Didn't mention anything about concealed carry but it doesn't really make a difference to me.

If your posture/attentiveness/line of thinking doesn't change when you see a gun on someone's waist I'm not sure if I'm impressed or how to describe it but it would be a foreign concept to me. I get the same mental shift as I would if I saw someone holding a knife or a bat or any other thing which can induce harm. In general, I don't like those situations.

Does this make me a sally? Probably. I've shot a pistol before and enjoyed it. But there was also a creeping thought the entire time that any guy in that gun range could be having a bad day and kill a few guys before being taken down himself. I've been in a room with a tough guy drug dealer with a gun on the table in front of him. He had a permit but I sure as shit didn't enjoy that either.

Thanks for bringing this up. Happens 3 or 4 times a week at my place. There's just a pile of bullet riddled machete wielding crackheads at every entrance to my home. No one believes me when I tell them about it. They say that I'm making up stories based on a zombie movie that I saw.

Latest news:

--Syed Farook's bank account got a $28.5K loan deposit two weeks before the shooting and he converted much of it to cash
--Farook had been radicalized as far back as 2011, and had planned an attack in 2012
--Farook and wife were engaged in target-practice as recently as one week before the deadly shooting
--Active shooter defensive training for employees had been held in the same room of the actual shooting one year ago, of which Farook was a part of

No but my family spends the bulk of time in our home. It's similar to why do most accidents occur within 3 miles of your house? Because you spend most of your time 3 miles within your home. Protecting your home in my mind is much different than being vigilant and carrying at all times. My hope is to have a gun stored in my home and never use it beyond shooting at a range. My life is better if myself and those around me aren't carrying weapons specifically made to kill stuff. However, my wife and I have made a joint decision that we both feel better owning a gun for our home. That's my point of view from which I make my decisions on guns.

well you made a pretty piss poor decision there...you do know that the likelihood of someone in your household being injured maimed or killed by a firearm more than doubles when you introduce a gun into the home and the rate of someone dying from suicide rises exponentially....If your boogieman antidote is to be believed then there must be scores of tales out there of armed nitwits who have successfully defended themselves in all these home invasions...truthfully I have never heard of any...did you ever stop to consider a home security system maybe...would be scores safer then buying a weapon.

Roughly once a week this year, on average, a small child has found a gun, pointed it at himself or someone else, and pulled the trigger.

In 13 of the 43 total incidents, a child's self-inflicted injuries were fatal. In two other cases, another person died after being shot by a toddler: a father in Alabama, and a 1-year-old in Ohio.

In one instance, a 3-year-old managed to wound both of his parents with a single gunshot at an Albuquerque motel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT