ADVERTISEMENT

Another SNL thread

HereComeTheCats

VUSports.com All-American
Mar 27, 2009
I know SNL threads are like threads about how the student section was better ## years ago but with the big 40th show this weekend I thought we could rekindle the debate.

Rolling Stone ranked the cast members of all time and like any internet list, it is infuriating.

Are you going to provide the list?

Anyway, it's either Belushi or Eddie Murphy.

Yeah, Norm McDonald at 135 possibly the worst, pretty glaring given that the next 50 or so below that are pretty much anonymous. He's like 80 spots too low. Tina Fey at 3 pretty bad too. She's not bad, just top 40 material, not top 5 material. I also wouldn't put Belushi #1 but he's probably top 10 so not a terrible misranking.

This list is laughably bad. Ana Gasteyer is the best female cast member I've ever seen. Her topless Martha Stewart skit is one of the best ever.

I've always felt Belushi was a tad over-rated. Funny, but overrated. Phil Hartman should be near the top.

Hartman was great LizReed, agree he should be higher.

Nice seeing Lovitz in the top 20, always thought he was hilarious.

Norm that low is a joke. Another guy I like that doesn't get a lot of love is Kevin Nealon. Real good.

Originally posted by LizReed:
I've always felt Belushi was a tad over-rated. Funny, but overrated. Phil Hartman should be near the top.
By near you mean #1. One of my all time favorite is him as Sinatra talsk show host with Sinead O'Connor and Billy Idol. The Sinatra phrases were hysterical. Recently read an old interview with Frank and he wasnt too far off the character.

Would love to hear Lorne Michaels's top 20 ranking.

This post was edited on 2/13 10:17 AM by RSTRICK30

this Sat night at 1130 is the first episode ever from 75 with George Carlin. i was still years from being conceived.

VH1 classic is airing every episode and is down to the late 70s. tomorrow at 1130 AM is George Harrison and Paul Simon. worth watching.

Originally posted by LGBlue:
Yeah, Norm McDonald at 135 possibly the worst, pretty glaring given that the next 50 or so below that are pretty much anonymous. He's like 80 spots too low. Tina Fey at 3 pretty bad too. She's not bad, just top 40 material, not top 5 material. I also wouldn't put Belushi #1 but he's probably top 10 so not a terrible misranking.
I thought Norm was pretty damn funny, never really watched SNL when Fey was there but I don't think she is funny going by any of the movies I have seen her in.

Downey is their worst. I'm sure he's really upset by this considering his current net worth compared to other former cast members.

Bring back, Mr. Peepers. Not like Chris Kattan is doing anything else these days.

Originally posted by LizReed:

I assume you've seen his SNL audition. The German stand-up comedian is brilliant.
His impressions were great, his original characters were great, (Unfrozen Caveman is flat out genius) and he's he the best straight man they've ever had - high praise considering Parnell is in that conversation. Guy was a huge talent. One of the very few where you just look at his face you almost start laughing already. Like Gene Wilder and Jackie Gleason in that regard. Rare talent.

I think SNL gets mostly a bad rap. They do 90 minutes and the turnover is constant - it's hard to measure up to your own genius every week, and nail every cast member. You're going to have failure for sure. But this has been going on for 40 years and still you are being fed gems like Stefan or Jebidiah Atkinson.

You know who should have been last on that list? Kristen Wiig. NOT FUNNY. AT ALL.

Disagree big time on Wiig. Her Penelope the one-upper character was great.

And her Taylor Swift impression was hilarious.

I too am a Kevin Nealon fan. Frank Gannon, PI PI
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Agree with Loveburger and DMil comments.

No. 1 is Hartman, and it's not close...anyone who has watched more than 10 seasons worth of episodes knows this.

Sweet River Baines still an all-time favorite...and Sinatra Group.

Another Hartman favorite is the Sprockets dating game...

Lipstick

you know a show is good when it lasts for 40 years and certain skits stand out to this day.

Mr Robinsons neighborhood
Cow Bell
Hartmans Clinton in the McDonalds.
Will Ferrell at Jeffries with Sean Hayes and Jimmy Fallon
Sportscenter with Ray Ramono
Chipendales
Al Franken with Michael Jordan , stewart smiley.
Matt Foley
Dick in a Box
Waynes World

list goes on and on.

so many great skits and actors. so much talent. i always make a point to watch it on demand if not live. so much better than the junk thats on other networks.

Too Hot in Da Hot Tub.

Mr. Robinsons Neighborhood. When I moves in, y'all moves away.

Unce. Tice. Fee times a Mady.

Buckwheat was good.

Mr Robinsons word of the day was always great. larceny, incarceration, bastard.

never mind those gun shots boys and girls.

i go Ferrell ( i was a teen in the 90s) then Hartman then Mike Myers. as far as women i liked Myia Rudoulph better than Fey or Wiig.

Thought Oteri had some funny stuff and Rachel Dratch too. The Jimmy Fallon "YOU AHHH!" skit was good. The years of Spade, Sandler, Farely were really good. And later Tim Meadows and Molly Shannon had some funny stuff. Tracy Morgan's Brian Fellows was great. Parnell is really underrated.

Btw - just saw a short funny bit of Dana Carvey doing a conversation between John Lennon and Paul McCartney talking about Kanye West which was hysterical. Carvey as McCartney is great.

Meadows as the ladies man was very good.

yeah that is small , i wasnt expecting anything less than 10-12 inches.

Originally posted by Sportsboss_ofnothing:
Toonces the driving cat always got me. So stupid yet so brilliant.
When SNL allows itself to be really stupid, they usually wind up wth something good. Toonces is a great example. Going back a bit further, Tippy Turtle. Laser Cats.

They once did a skit where Nicholas Cage played a miniature Elvis, and his yes men were driving him around in his car with him perched on the dash. It was top ten in its sheer stupidity, but I quote it to this day. It was awesome.

Horrendous waste of 45 mins (DVR'd it) and fast forwarded through anyone who didnt matter (which was almost everyone). Eddie finally gets up there. Says crap, does crap, leaves.

Are you sure you want to delete this recording?

X (Yes, Delete)

It was definitely corny but I enjoyed the compilations. It's hard enough not screwing up your lines on live tv, let alone coming off funny. Still a great resource for talent

Just getting around to the show after playing a little hockey. Been great. Amazing amount of great material. How many catch phrases and classics as this show come up with? How many people have they discovered?

The Eddie Murphy thing was bizarre. Chris Rock felates him for 10 minutes. He comes out, gets standing O, says thanks and that's pretty much it. Thought he'd do a little stand up

It's funny how the years when Lorne Michaels wasn't there (80-85) get totally glossed over like they didn't happen when they do these retrospectives.

Pretty terrible after the Celebrity Jeopardy skit. Chevy and Eddie painfully unfunny. What happens to these guys that turns them from comedy legends to sad sack fat asses?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT