ADVERTISEMENT

Another SNL thread

Thought the first 90 minutes were fantastic. Agree the Chevy and Eddie parts were just weird. Also, who did Kim K blow to get Kanye on that show?

some of it was painful, but it was decent overall.

I will never understand why they had Miley sing a Paul Simon song when Paul Simon was LITERALLY there...

Originally posted by bmoneynova:
some of it was painful, but it was decent overall.

I will never understand why they had Miley sing a Paul Simon song when Paul Simon was LITERALLY there...
I absolutely hate Miley but I thought she was pretty good last night.

It was like a "regular" weekly show in that he had some really great moments and a few head-scratchers. I liked the jeopardy episode.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

What was up with Seinfeld getting to do a spot. Other than hosting a couple of times no real connection. Some guys not aging very well...Simon, Murray, Richards, McCartney. Even Murphy really showing some wear.

Originally posted by catFANatic80:
Some guys not aging very well...Simon, Murray, Richards, McCartney. Even Murphy really showing some wear.
You're right. McCartney looks a little different than he did when the Beatles were in their heyday 50 years ago. Dude looks like he's almost 60 now.

And I thought Eddie Murphy looked almost the exact same as he did a decade or two ago.

Eddie Murphy has not been funny since he left SNL. Delirious was pretty good, but his movies absolutely blow, including the one joke Beverly Hills Cop series. ("We gotta talk Billy") Perhaps the most overrated franchise in history.

Chevy was underrated to the show's first few seasons. Akroyd and Belushi and Gilda get most of the credit, but his bits were probably better overall. He did a few good movies as well.

Amazing how some people left and never recovered. Dennis Miller for one. His HBO show wasnt bad but his attempt to be the conservative Jon Stewart is painful these days. Get your own show and so it right man.

No idea how Kanye or Miley got air time last night.

loved seeing Jimmy Fallon open but then when Timberlake came on I was very disappointed. I dont find JT funny at all or talented to be honest. I feel like they should have stuck with cast members at first.

Steve Martin and Martin Short are still incredibly likable and entertaining. Adding Baldwin and Hanks was fun but i dont get Miley or any of the young guests. Id rather they keep it old and pay tribute to the real talents like Baldwin, Hanks, Short, Martin , Murphy and not the hacks like Miley.

Paul Simon is still my all time favorite musician and im only 34. just love everything about him and his music. the 1976 thanksgiving episode with George Harrison is the best musical act they have ever had. acoustic of here comes the sun, 50 ways to leave your lover and homeward bound. McCartney is all class. always was.

Mya Roudulph is an underrated talent as is Fred Alminson (sp).

overall good show. hard to do 3.5 hrs of live tv and keep it funny.

Guys, drop the hate: Miley was ridiculous. She's incredibly talented.

Originally posted by adp98:
Guys, drop the hate: Miley was ridiculous. She's incredibly talented.
No, she is isnt.

The spot there probably should have gone to Elvis Costello, who had one of the two or three best musical appearances in the show's history ( aforementioned George Harrison/Simon being #1 )

Miley is a fad. Trying to be new Madonna when Gaga has that sewn up much better.

DMIL, I used to think you knew music. Awful. She's unbelievably talented, like doesn't happen often kind of talent. I don't read music blogs etc...but my guess is her performance is getting lots of acclaim. Take away what you might think of her but you cannot question the chops. Crazy you don't see it as it's very obvious.

i agree that Miley has a great voice but her music is terrible and she is an act not a musician. thats just my opinion. Springsteen, Simon, Dylan are musicians, Miley, Timberlake, Kayne, etc are musical acts.

DMIL, I used to think you knew music. Awful. She's unbelievably talented, like doesn't happen often kind of talent. I don't read music blogs etc...but my guess is her performance is getting lots of acclaim. Take away what you might think of her but you cannot question the chops. Crazy you don't see it as it's very obvious.
Oh yeah, Twitter blew up.

Not

to clarify on my earlier post, Simon and Harrison did the 1976 music together. shared verses of each others songs. again my favorite of all time. Harrison had a great voice maybe second to Don Henley as far as voices of male singers.

the talents of Farley, Hartman and JOHN Beluschi will never be matched. those guys had the "it" factor.

Akryod , Goodman and Murray are on their way out. look terrible.

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:
Oh yeah, Twitter blew up.
Did you really just cite Twitter as some sort of authority on anything? Wow.

Originally posted by Sportsboss_ofnothing:
Awesome. Now Dmil and adp will argue for 300 posts about Miley Cyrus. Who says benchwarmers is dead?
I've got another 30-40 minutes to kill.

Wasn't Chase only around for the first season? He sure gets a lot of mileage for that one season.

Did you really just cite Miley Cyrus as being unbelievably talented? Absolutely positively had no business being in that opening set, I guess they just wanted to inject some additional youth but terrible choice.

Miley has a good voice, but so do literally 50,000 other people who audition for American Idol. Would not make it without her dad, has not actually written a decent song herself, and she relies mostly on attempted shock value to stay relevant. adp can argue this - but when you see legitimately high talent people in the world, it's not terribly hard to see she is not one of them. Scale of 1-10 with Jaden Smith being a 1 and Paul Simon being a 10, she's a 2.5.

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:
Eddie Murphy has not been funny since he left SNL. Delirious was pretty good, but his movies absolutely blow, including the one joke Beverly Hills Cop series. ("We gotta talk Billy") Perhaps the most overrated franchise in history.

Chevy was underrated to the show's first few seasons. Akroyd and Belushi and Gilda get most of the credit, but his bits were probably better overall. He did a few good movies as well.

Amazing how some people left and never recovered. Dennis Miller for one. His HBO show wasnt bad but his attempt to be the conservative Jon Stewart is painful these days. Get your own show and so it right man.

No idea how Kanye or Miley got air time last night.
48 hours and Trading Places were good, I think it's just a mess after that. I'll give some credit for the donkey voice in Shrek and Tower Heist was at least watchable but he wasn't really carrying those films. Other than that it's a wasteland since about 1985, unless I'm missing something. Not that he didn't make money, it's just that everything was completely unfunny. I agree with Chris Rock that Eddie definitely did save SNL, he was THE guy in the early 80s, but he also probably had the biggest drop off of any big time name leaving the show. e.g., People might not love the Ferrell movies but at least there's a bunch of stuff that is at least watchably decent. I personally think that most are pretty good. Murray has good stuff in every decade. Others?

Originally posted by LGBlue:
Did you really just cite Miley Cyrus as being unbelievably talented? Absolutely positively had no business being in that opening set, I guess they just wanted to inject some additional youth but terrible choice.
What did you think of her musical performance? She was awesome. I don't care for her music as it's pop/crap. She's incredibly talented despite the fact she's not my cup of tea/style. You guys act like Miley's been around for 2 years. She's had a decade+ run where she's been ringing the cash register across multiple mediums. Along with Timberlake and Taylor Swift who's been bigger in the past 10 years? And she's crossed over from TV/Movies/Music.

Murphy was good in the Nutty Professor, you cant tell me those dinner scenes werent funny.

Mike Myers has been funny since the early 90s and has done good stuff on SNL and in movies.

Sandler was great on SNL , stinks outside of that genre of comedy.

Darrell Hammond is tremendously funny but his comedy doesnt translate into movies just stand up and sketch comedy.

I think Martin Short is still my favorite. so goofy but so funny. and for a serious actor Hanks is great on live tv.

Bobby D is SO BAD live. he either cant read or is just nervous up there.

I thought the prepared sketches were fairly good but the night was really let down by the individual honorees and solo performances. The hand offs from one person to another were not rehearsed and several times led to the person just staring at the camera and shrugging.

I can't believe how bad Chevy looks and how awkward he was on the red carpet. He looked completely out of it and apologized for sweating so much.

Basically everyone was awkward on the red carpet. I don't know what it is about these comedians that makes them so awkward and unfunny when they are being interviewed. Jim Carrey had a Brian Williams joke bomb (Tina Fey wanted to crawl off camera), Sarah Palin was not too good at the red carpet improv. I really missed Tracy Morgan, he's awesome at these types of events.

I felt bad for McCartney last night. I wonder if he chose to play "Maybe I'm Amazed" or if that was Lorne's call? Way too high of a key for him these days and maybe they should have brought in some younger vocal chords to help him out. Kanye's performance was the same self fellating BS I'm used to from him. If you feel the need to include both, have Kanye and McCartney reprise their Grammy performance. Then give some of the leftover time to someone else.

Not counting the Hammond types b/c he wasn't really star level on SNL or anywhere. Rest are good examples. I like a few of the Sandler movies.

Didn't like Nutty professor. I think I failed to point out that I loved 48 hours and Trading Places, so right there Eddie also has what I consider to be great comedies, and it puts his movie resume right there with most SNL alumni. It's just that somewhere in the mid 80s it dropped off suddenly and he wasn't interested in that type of comedy anymore.

Love Martin Short, I think he was guest host Christmas 2013 and he crushed it. Just makes me laugh at everything he does.

Steve Martin made me laugh several times last night too, he's still good. He's one that doesn't do the straight up goofy comedy movies anymore, but he's a solid actor and has a lot of good watchable stuff.

Originally posted by novabball2:
Murphy was good in the Nutty Professor, you cant tell me those dinner scenes werent funny.

Mike Myers has been funny since the early 90s and has done good stuff on SNL and in movies.

Sandler was great on SNL , stinks outside of that genre of comedy.

Darrell Hammond is tremendously funny but his comedy doesnt translate into movies just stand up and sketch comedy.

I think Martin Short is still my favorite. so goofy but so funny. and for a serious actor Hanks is great on live tv.

Bobby D is SO BAD live. he either cant read or is just nervous up there.
Wonder what's happened to Miker Meyers this last decade. I mean Love Guru was really bad, but so what. He's earned plenty of leeway I think. Would like to see something else from him.

I think even getting one funny movie is enough for most of these guys. Hard to make a legitimately funny movie these days. Sandler's movies basically blow now, but Happy Gilmore is great. Thought Grown Ups had a few moments as well. Not many, but a few. Steve Martin has made some really good movies. He was great in Spanish Prisoner.

I think Eddie Murphy might have some deep rooted issues. He lived locally around here for years and there were a fair amount of stories about him being a pretty strange dude.

I have seen McCartney, and heard him sing live for years -- first time I can recall him being pretty weak was last night. Saw him a couple years back and he hit every note, and every chord. Voice seems way off last night in comparison. Understandable at this stage I guess.

Originally posted by LGBlue:

48 hours and Trading Places were good, I think it's just a mess after that. I'll give some credit for the donkey voice in Shrek and Tower Heist was at least watchable but he wasn't really carrying those films. Other than that it's a wasteland since about 1985, unless I'm missing something.
MV5BMTYyMzkxNjM5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzI2NTY0MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR3,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Martin Short had some great characters. The Synchronized Swimmers film with Chris Guest was great. The paranoid corporate exec on the fake 60 Minutes piece was classic. Ed Grimley. Jackie Rogers Jr is underrated.

Eddie Murphy is into trannies.

I enjoyed Norm MacDonald needling Chase about how arrogant and obnoxious Chase is.

I was disappointed I watched for 3.5 hours and still didn't find out if Pat is a man or a woman.

Also, instead of waterboarding, they should make terror suspects watch clips of the show from the 1970's. Holy crap are they unfunny.

Love Martin Short, I think he was guest host Christmas 2013 and he crushed it. Just makes me laugh at everything he does.

on point! the Bennett Brothers xmas and the charlie brown rat bastard skits were laugh out loud funny.

SNL is a great show, its all made up and sometimes improv. nothing like it. some are good some are bad some are terrible some are legendary. you never know and thats what makes it great.

Originally posted by bmoneynova:
Chevy Chase or Keith Richards

who goes first?
This cannot be a serious question. I'm still shocked at how incredibly terrible Chevy Chase looked last night. I thought the poor guy was going to drop dead on the red carpet. Wasn't he on TV just about a year ago? He looked older on that but last night was shocking to me.

Make no mistake about it-Keith Richards will outlive us all!

I thought Chevy just looked unhealthy overall, moreso than other times in recent years, and was thinking that the price to get him in death pools probably went throughthe roof last night. Wouldn't be shocked if he had a serious medical condition that he's trying to keep private. But it's Hollywood so if it was just drugs run amok of course that wouldn't shock either.

He obviously aged a while ago, but even his rare appearances in recent years (e.g., small part in the first Hot Tub Time Machine) he didn't look nearly that bad.

Edit to add that Jack Nicholson appears to have taken the aging up a notch the last couple years. His price in death pools I'm sure shot up as well.
This post was edited on 2/16 2:23 PM by lowry99

I saw a paparazzi picture of him in one of those cheesy beach magazines over the holiday break and couldn't believe it was him, looked like he put on 75 pounds in one year. Well, guess that was him. Just a weight thing but that's a ton of weight for a 70+ guy to put on so quickly, even if he's not sick he will not be around long at this rate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT