ADVERTISEMENT

CoPhillies offseason

I'm actually excited for the Phillies season. Team obviously won't win this year but there's a lot of young guys to look forward to seeing.

I think the players they got for hamels and getting hellickson were steps in the right direction. In baseball you can recycle in 5 years........nba you may never get there because there are so few superstars that control the game....

They have 9 coaches. They don't need a do nothing veteran to share wisdom.
Agreed. Veteran presence is the most overrated thing in baseball. Does it help to have a core of veterans who can help along younger players? Of course, but only if they're good.

A 32-year-old with a .304 career on base percentage is not a leader. The only thing he'll teach the younger players is how to swing at pitches a foot off the plate. My favorite feature of Jeff Francoeur is how every year during spring training, there are stories about how he's finally fixed his chronic lack of plate discipline.

Projected lineup/rotation for the Phils?

As of today...

C- Rupp/Ruiz
1B- Howard/Ruf
2B- Hernandez
3B- Franco
SS- Galvis
LF- Herrera
CF- Bourjos
RF- Altherr

Bench:
The C/!B who doesn't play, plus Blanco, Asche, and Goeddell (Rule 5 pick-up). I prefer that Bourjos move to bench. Play Herrera in CF and go with the rule 5 pick-up.

Rotation:
Nola
Hellickson
Eickhoff
Oberholtzer
Morton

The Phillies won't win a lot of games; probably 63-68 ish.....

Shouldn't be long before Velazquez and Thompson are in the rotation.

Should be a fun season. Looking forward to the turn around. Would like to see a May Crawford call up. If not sooner, but you need to mind the SERVICE CLOCK. Would also like to see some of their A/AA outfielders start banging the ball. Looking at you, Roman Quinn.

Reactions: ChuckSullivan97
Should be a fun season. Looking forward to the turn around. Would like to see a May Crawford call up. If not sooner, but you need to mind the SERVICE CLOCK. Would also like to see some of their A/AA outfielders start banging the ball. Looking at you, Roman Quinn.

You want Crawford that soon? Quinn is said to have tools, but needs to stay healthy. I'm thinking Williams will be pretty good down the line.

I would like to see any talented prospect fast tracked to MLB and given time to sharpen their game there. The Stros and Royaks have done it successfully. JP just turned 21 so it's not like he's rotting away. It doesn't help that I've seen enough of Galvis.

Yea, I hear ya. The latest we'll see Crawford is beginning of next year. Bearing injury there's a 95% chance he's a September call-up, but could be here sooner.

I'm ok with Galvis as the extra infielder moving forward.

Saw an over/under of 66.5 wins today. I will take the over! I'm brightsiding for the Phils again this year.

ND, love the brightsiding. I think it's close and ceiling is probably 70-71. So, not much wiggle room.

Ideally?
0/0.

Realistically?
400/17

Not sure if I buy the idea of him now having to actually earn playing time. Why start that now? The time for that was 3/4 years ago.

Another scenario? They force him to play every single inning of every game, hitting lead off, he hits .071 and is shamed by national media into retiring.

66 is too low. Team won't be THAT bad. The starting pitching should be decent. Winning 4 more games than last season shouldn't be that hard to accomplish.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Ideally?
0/0.

Realistically?
400/17

Not sure if I buy the idea of him now having to actually earn playing time. Why start that now? The time for that was 3/4 years ago.

Another scenario? They force him to play every single inning of every game, hitting lead off, he hits .071 and is shamed by national media into retiring.

I kind of do buy it. I think they'll almost platoon from get-go.

It's developmental year just about everywhere else. I'm not going to worry about it too much. Still appreciate the good years. Also, I think Mackanin won't play him if he really struggles. He'll be gone either way at year's end.

This is the right place for this franchise to be in. Did they not do it years ago because they were too dumb? Or because they realized that they had absolutely no young talent in the pipeline to fill in the major league roster if they shipped out all the veterans?

66 is too low. Team won't be THAT bad. The starting pitching should be decent. Winning 4 more games than last season shouldn't be that hard to accomplish.
Winning only 66 games is super difficult to do. I have to go with the over. A wise man once said you will lose 60 win 60 and the rest is what determines if you are a good team or not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT