ADVERTISEMENT

End of the Confederate Flag........

I agree but this is one issue worth making incremental progress. Maybe by the time our kids have some Kids we have changed things for the better. Worth fighting for IMO

I agree but this is one issue worth making incremental progress. Maybe by the time our kids have some Kids we have changed things for the better. Worth fighting for IMO

Is this genuine or a tactic from "the Hill" to concede to a totally meaningless and ineffective policy change as a way to avoid actual improvement but we can still high five and all tell our constituents/clients that we did good? No more punting. Assault weapon bans don't solve gun violence just like optional defined contribution pension plans don't solve government pension woes. I don't know the solution to gun violence but I'm not on board to be a champion of fake progress. I fear that it is very complicated and would upset more people than anyone in elected office would want to upset.

it's a catch 22. you can call for stopping sales of "assault" weapons under the belief it will prevent mass casualties in a gun related incident. but then someone will just come along and kill ten people with a handgun or a shotgun and ultimately, the only way to stop it is to smelt down every gun.

"Assault weapon" is a buzzword that judges guns on what they look like versus how much damage they can actually do. In general, anti-gun people choose not to educate themselves on the things they are trying to ban. Such ignorance, whether it is willful or accidental makes it impossible for reasonable people who favor the possession of firearms to meet them anywhere close to the middle

The ATF stealthily tried to ban a popular form of .223 Remington ammunition this year. Pop quiz: which one of the cartridges below is the .223 Remington?

_223_v__308_by_sharky0922.jpg

Last edited:
It's the one on the left. The one on the right looks like a .30-06.

So if we outlaw every gun, forcibly collect them all, and melt them down, there will never be any gun violence ever again? I guess there was no alcoholism during prohibition.

Personally I Believe er in the issue. People asked for specifics and I answered the question..

QUOTE="NickleDimer, post: 127683, member: 720"]Is this genuine or a tactic from "the Hill" to concede to a totally meaningless and ineffective policy change as a way to avoid actual improvement but we can still high five and all tell our constituents/clients that we did good? No more punting. Assault weapon bans don't solve gun violence just like optional defined contribution pension plans don't solve government pension woes. I don't know the solution to gun violence but I'm not on board to be a champion of fake progress. I fear that it is very complicated and would upset more people than anyone in elected office would want to upset.[/QUOTE]

Zman you miss the point. if all guns are gone, then there is no gun violence because there is no guns. it's impossible to have gun violence if guns dont exist. it's either that or a time machine.

what you're arguing is why all measures, short of smelting down all guns or going back and time and preventing their invention, will not work.

Yes, I get the point that if there were no guns there would be no gun violence, but the idea that you can somehow melt down every gun that has ever existed anywhere on the earth is a pipe dream.

If all guns in the US were banned, confiscated and melted down, Los Zetas would be jumping up and down for joy, because they would be shipping them across the border as fast as criminals in the US could buy them.

The better solutions are to deal with violence where it normally happens. This means addressing American poverty, the American family structure, and American education. No matter how much money we throw at disadvantaged schools, it's never good enough. Perhaps it's time to try something different on publicly funded education.

As for these anomalous events, the place we can start is by asking the media to stop giving them wall to wall coverage.

it is a pipe dream. you're right. just like eliminating gun violence. it's not going to happen.

Seems to be a lot of folks arguing nothing is better than incremental reforms. I don't understand that train of thought

not saying to do nothing. saying that background checks and banning "assault" weapons is akin to doing nothing. it's not going to prevent anything.

not saying to do nothing. saying that background checks and banning "assault" weapons is akin to doing nothing. it's not going to prevent anything.
Here's my final contribution on the thread topic. Stirring up this whole flag issue is a tremendous disservice to those 9 innocent people who were gunned down by an obvious racist. Using that act of racial terrorism to promote an agenda cheapens the entire conversation! The people of Charleston's reaction to the massacre should teach all of us the lessons of love and forgiveness.

Seems to be a lot of folks arguing nothing is better than incremental reforms. I don't understand that train of thought
The confederate flag garbage is a perfect example why not. If you give a mouse a cookie, eventually he's going to want the Jefferson Memorial done away with.

FARRAKHAN: I DON’T GET DEBATE OVER CONFEDERATE FLAG, ‘WE NEED TO PUT THE AMERICAN FLAG DOWN’

and there it is

Went to help open a new store last year outside of Front Royal/Winchester, VA. Holy f*ck, Batman. Couldn't believe I was still in the United States. Literally felt like I took a DeLorean back to 1995. Scary. Scary shit. You would have to pay me to live down there.
And that's only about an hour, hour and a half tops outside of DC and about the same distance from the Mason Dixon Line.

Will you ever get over this American tragedy? How is less racist imagery a bad thing?

Because to some people it's not racist. You're operating under the assumption that every person who displays this flag is a klansman that lynches black people. Most are normal people.

I have gotten over it I am painting my house with rainbows today, thinking about painting my car and maybe buying rainbow LULU lemon workout clothes

Reactions: tjc3844
I have gotten over it I am painting my house with rainbows today, thinking about painting my car and maybe buying rainbow LULU lemon workout clothes
If it's good enough for BO, it should be good enough for all of us. Maybe we should replace the Confederate flag with the Rainbow flag in this era of enlightenment!

Because to some people it's not racist.... Most are normal people.
To most people it's racist. You're well within your rights to hang it on your porch, tattoo it on you chest and show it on you're TV station. Just understand that most people won't like it. Most people think it's a racist symbol and most people don't want to be associated with it.

So people are arguing that the confederate flag is not a symbol of racism?

Are there pockets of Germans that still defend the swastika? Serious question.

Because to some people it's not racist. You're operating under the assumption that every person who displays this flag is a klansman that lynches black people. Most are normal people.
Those people are idiots. There is no alternative history where the primary driver of secession was not slavery. As the battle flag that was then adopted more broadly by the cause, the symbol embodies those ideals. You can pretend it was about states right and a "way of life" but that is bull schit and if you read the documents it's shown as such. So not only does the flag stand for slavery it's also the flag used by a treasonous group that tried to tear our contury apart.

Does anyone here even know someone who owns a confederate flag, or some kind of memorabilia with the flag on it?

I'm guessing maybe one or two people?

Reason: You are not a redneck. You don't know any rednecks. And even if you did, you would not not hang out with rednecks.

Its just dumb thats all. The dean is correct it isn't going to change any of our lives its just the stupidity behind some movement like this. Like its solving anything.

I personally dont want to see two dudes kissing in a restaurant like I had to witness with my family the other night but its just the reality of the world today. We can't have a perfect world around us that fits all our personal beliefs thats the beauty of America.

Its just dumb thats all. The dean is correct it isn't going to change any of our lives its just the stupidity behind some movement like this. Like its solving anything.

I personally dont want to see two dudes kissing in a restaurant like I had to witness with my family the other night but its just the reality of the world today. We can't have a perfect world around us that fits all our personal beliefs thats the beauty of America.
Very well put, pipermal1. And, if we had a society where everyone had the same view on things, it would be a pretty boring world.

1. It isn't going to change our lives because we are all wealthy white northeastern a-holes. The slow march of hateful symbols out of our everyday life is an improvement and you're just being a contrarian if you say otherwise.

2. What's wrong with two guys kissing? Are you against PDA in general or just when people you hate are engaging in PDA? What if it was two people on government assistance?

I dont hate any group of individuals. Ok maybe terrorists JV or not. Just dont want to see two dudes kiss while I eat. Bet I am not in the minority on that one. Not that there is anything wrong with that

I dont hate any group of individuals. Ok maybe terrorists JV or not. Just dont want to see two dudes kiss while I eat. Bet I am not in the minority on that one. Not that there is anything wrong with that

This post explains so much about pipermal. Since it was relatively recently, I can only conclude that he started posting on 4.6 when he started to think that the majority wasn't being represented in this country. Literally says here "what they're doing is wrong in most people's eyes, but there isn't anything wrong with that". It's like his brain has been conditioned to continue thinking his backwards thoughts, and then rationalize them as normal by spurting out heartless qualifiers like "not that there's anything wrong with that" after he thinks them.

He refuses to believe that normal people aren't grossed out like they're middle school boys still learning what masculinity means - still getting visibily upset by anything nonhetero out of fear for one's status. And the sad thing is, I think he genuinely does get grossed out. Most people in modern times have realized that you don't have to live your life like kids at recess, afraid of not being normal - but if you haven't after so many years there's really no hope for you.

He is just another scared person seeing the world pass him by and clinging to the past with all his effort. Grossed out by two people finally feeling comfortable enough to express their true selves in public. I can't imagine how hard it was for you to see two men who probably spent the first half of their lives paralyzingly afraid of what their family and friends would do to them/say to them/think of them if they found out they were gay, how hard it was for you, probably out in public with your wife and offspring, to have to just once in your day be reminded that it's now permissible to love someone of the same sex - to see all of this in the very sacred comfort of your own delusion that you are still normal for thinking this way. It must have been traumatizing.

Reactions: NickleDimer
He wears lulu pants, I think he's probably a bit beyond. Happy 4th boys.

"not that there is anything wrong with that" is a seinfield reference. You must have missed that episode its one of the more famous lines from the show.

"not that there is anything wrong with that" is a seinfield reference. You must have missed that episode its one of the more famous lines from the show.

ohhhhh that changes everything - see you at Woody's for the 4th party tonight

Truth be told if you read my post I said "We can't have a perfect world around us that fits all our personal beliefs thats the beauty of America". I dont like everything that goes on around me but people get to live their own lives once again thats what makes this country great.

The difference between my statement and those of the progressives like yourself is it must fit the progressives personal beliefs and they have no tolerance for anything other than those beliefs. Worse those beliefs must be pushed on the rest of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjc3844
pipermal: please directly address this question:

What's wrong with two guys kissing? Are you against PDA in general or just when people you hate are engaging in PDA? What if it was two people on government assistance?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT