ADVERTISEMENT

Frightened Old People

ComeFiesta

Diaper Dandy
Jan 27, 2005
What is it about old people that makes them scared of everything? Sitting around all day watching Fox News? How many times do you hear old people say that the world is falling apart, and actually mean it? It seems to me that the current generation of boomer old people are way more scared of everything than they should be.

Plus, if you're old, who cares if you get blown up by ISIS? You're old. An elderly person recently told me they wouldn't come meet me in the city for lunch because they were afraid of terrorism. Unreal.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Last week I was in the mens grille and there is a group of old guys who occasionally sit around during the day watching Fox News. Ok, a bunch of old guys sitting around a country club with one TV on Foxnews. Then I was listening to them. They were sitting there commenting on all the eye candy. That's it, they didn't care much of what was being said. It gave me great joy to see that 75+ year old men do stuff just to check out girls. Things don't change much after all. Maybe they're all just a bunch of horny old men?

The current generation of seniors set themselves up with golden retirement benefits at the expense of future generations and have nothing to fear, so they just make crap up to give meaning to their days.

What is it about old people that makes them scared of everything? Sitting around all day watching Fox News? How many times do you hear old people say that the world is falling apart, and actually mean it? It seems to me that the current generation of boomer old people are way more scared of everything than they should be.

Plus, if you're old, who cares if you get blown up by ISIS? You're old. An elderly person recently told me they wouldn't come meet me in the city for lunch because they were afraid of terrorism. Unreal.

I say bullshit. Name one senior citizen that we all know who is terrified of a threat that has never directly affected him. (or her?)

Reactions: ComeFiesta
Old people are just generally slow and have a hard time adopting to many technologies.

One of my goals in life is to not let my world shrink. At my last job I worked with a few women in their 60s. Their universe was essentially no larger than a fifteen minute drive in suburbia. Anything beyond that was a wild expedition for them. I never want to end up that way.

Reactions: Chimpat
One of my goals in life is to not let my world shrink. At my last job I worked with a few women in their 60s. Their universe was essentially no larger than a fifteen minute drive in suburbia. Anything beyond that was a wild expedition for them. I never want to end up that way.

Agreed. Just discover a new ska band every other week. Thats the life.

Reactions: HereComeTheCats
Agreed. Just discover a new ska band every other week. Thats the life.
fernandez-hr.gif

The worst thing is that it's old people in flyover states.

Someone needs to tell Jane Smith of Norfolk, Nebraska that ISIS has no interest in killing her.

Last edited:
Oh crap.. that was the wrong clip. The gist was basically that he grew up with bombs going off all around him and nothing the government does is going to stop them from doing it, so just live your life.

Last edited:

This from someone who decides to stereotype an entire generation of people. Keep going to your boring job everyday. I hope you have at least 50 more years of work ahead of you. I wouldn't want you to have to try decide how to spend your retirement time if you're already so short sighted!

Old people are just generally slow and have a hard time adopting to many technologies.
I don't think getting on a train to manhattan qualifies as a "new technology." I'm talking about, because some terrorists shot someone in Paris, being so petrified of going into an urban area that you instead decide to stay home. For some reason, a lot of the old people I know think ISIS has basically taken over the world.

Any time I hear "the world is spinning out of control" or "what has the world become" spoken seriously, I usually tune that person out almost immediately. The world is ****ing great, and hasn't been this great ever before.

Reactions: SnottieDrippen
Women tend to be the worst about this, and I think it comes from spending the majority of their lives worried about their children. After a while I think the worry just becomes hard-wired, and even when their kids are fully functioning adults they just have to worry about something. So, you start telling your kid not to take a new job in the empire state building because ISIS is going to blow it up soon (true story).

Reactions: SnottieDrippen
This from someone who decides to stereotype an entire generation of people. Keep going to your boring job everyday. I hope you have at least 50 more years of work ahead of you. I wouldn't want you to have to try decide how to spend your retirement time if you're already so short sighted!
That's a pretty weird thing to say. I don't understand what my career has to do with old people being irrationally afraid of things, including the world around them, which due to their long history and massive amount of experience with, should be the least frightening thing to them.

That's a pretty weird thing to say. I don't understand what my career has to do with old people being irrationally afraid of things, including the world around them, which due to their long history and massive amount of experience with, should be the least frightening thing to them.
I think you are missing the entire point of the way older people view the world. Most older people don't think ISIS presents a threat to their individual safety. But, we do see the overall threat of a jihadist group that has shown its ability to kill countless innocent people on any given day. You may not be afraid of ISIS but how would you feel if they pulled off an attack and you lost love one(s) ? I think that's the difference between the generations. You chose to totally marginalize the threat while the older generation acknowledges that it is a real and present danger. This is pretty understandable when you consider the older generation grew up without the terrorist threat while it seems somewhat commonplace for your generation. I'm sure when you become part of the older generation down the road there will be brand new things going on that will give you a better idea of the point I'm making because you have no experience with it. The younger generation will then be transmitting their thoughts about your generation to mental forum versions of Galaxy Warmers 4.6

According to old people, they worked for a long time before retiring. Therefore, they earned the right to slowly destroy the nation's financial health

According to old people, they worked for a long time before retiring. Therefore, they earned the right to slowly destroy the nation's financial health
Is that the same old people who landed man on the moon, gave you the Internet so you could post smartass comments on Internet message boards and who provided the largest peace time expansion of the economy in history which insured you'd have a better life than they did, Kenny?

Is that the same old people who landed man on the moon, gave you the Internet so you could post smartass comments on Internet message boards and who provided the largest peace time expansion of the economy in history which insured you'd have a better life than they did, Kenny?

The nation is bankrupt, and all future generations will be financially destroyed. But its ok because the generation that caused that problem also landed on the moon (supposedly)???

So terrorism didn't exist before the 1990's? Could have fooled me.

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/terrorism/wrjp255a.html

A lot of crazy stuff happened in the past that you are probably forgetting about. Planes have gotten blown out of the sky as long as there have been planes. In the 1970's, the president started crying on tv like a lunatic, then quit and got in a helicopter and flew away.

I don't think that I've "grown up" with terrorism or political instability any more than you have. As a bonus, now I can push a button on my phone and have some guy go pick up groceries for me.

I highly doubt that the older generation really wants a nitwit like tjc to be their spokesman.

It's better than tjc saying he fought in WW2, because I think that delusional old f*ck probably thinks he contributed to the war effort somehow.

I don't really subscribe to the "nation is screwed" attitude. I think that's just something people say when they can't think of anything better to say. We rule. Some frat bros invented an app that lets teenagers send naked pictures to each other, and are now billionaires. That's America.

Is it just old people that are scared? Seems like many people I thought were intelligent and rational are buying into the fear hype machine. Don't we have a 30 something on here that avoids travel and loves hackneyed jokes?

I don't really subscribe to the "nation is screwed" attitude. I think that's just something people say when they can't think of anything better to say. We rule. Some frat bros invented an app that lets teenagers send naked pictures to each other, and are now billionaires. That's America.
America does rule. If it wants to continue to rule, it needs to stop letting old people make poor decisions with consequences that will outlive them.

The nation is bankrupt, and all future generations will be financially destroyed. But its ok because the generation that caused that problem also landed on the moon (supposedly)???
A few adjustments to Social Security & Medicare will fix that. Also, a more friendly tax and regulatory regime for businesses would unleash REAL economic growth not the anemic Obysmal 2% numbers.

My favorite new site is Galaxy Warmers 4.6. That is awesome.

End of hope and change?
If only there were a candidate shamelessly peddling his HOPE-ful immigrant background, promising me "A NEW AMERICAN CENTURY"...

My favorite thing so far today: going to a candidate's website and seeing their policy on immigration represented by a picture of a helicopter hovering over a giant border fence while border patrol rides an ATV underneath.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT