ADVERTISEMENT

Harvey = Strasburg???

What a boring thread this turned out to be.

The only story in baseball right now is Harvey, Boras, and Alderson.

Only 15k fans at last night's phillies game. The CoP is full of the gutless fair weather type.

Now hold on, I started this thread to troll Mets and Nats fans. (well just ADP falls in the latter group). Violation to turn this back on me!

The Mets need Harvey to go over 180. Their spot starter Verrett has been tagged for 6 earned runs in each of his last two minor league starts, including 3 HR allowed vs. El Paso on Sept. 1st.

has anyone explained the seemingly arbitrary 180 inning limit? why 180 and not 200? or 150 for that matter

let the record show he has never pitched more than 180 innings at any point in his professional career

edit: tjc

has anyone explained the seemingly arbitrary 180 inning limit? why 180 and not 200? or 150 for that matter

let the record show he has never pitched more than 180 innings at any point in his professional career

edit: tjc
Strasburg has an arbitrary 160 IP limit. The answer lies in what the doctors suggest. Strasburg was also younger and had more contract time so the team obviously more invested in his long-term health. Harvey obviously won't be a Met two years from now.

At least Harvey is pretending he is against missing the playoffs for a shutdown (and I might believe him). In Nats' case, Strasburg was happy to avoid the pressure, and Rizzo welcomed some combination of a chance to have a great "Emporor wears no clothes" moment or a built-in excuse for failure, on the way to a Nationals Paper Dynasty. Rizzo must have had to get the blow dryer out thinking about all the "I told you sos" he'd be handing out.

Seriously, as if all innings are created equal and does that take into account preparation. How many innings was he at when he injured himself the first time around?

Someone made the point to look at pitches thrown. Let's be honest, none of these guys have any clue or these pitchers wouldn't keep getting hurt. They are all just making it up as they go. I'm sure the doctors have theories but you see some hard throwers pitching into their mid 40's, Roger and Big Unit, while others guy break down. Do we really know? In Harvey's case, he's just over a year from FA so his agent is trying to get his payday. They know the Mets won't pony up the cash so his job is to protect his client. Different than Strasburg in that he doesn't have 5 more years of team control where the club is pushing the shutdown.

Different than Strasburg in that he doesn't have 5 more years of team control where the club is pushing the shutdown.

Exactly, no one plays the "team control" game better than Rizzo. If you want lots of guys who look great on paper, a glorified fantasy baseball team where the postseason is meaningless, then decisions like the Strasburg shutdown are where the magic happens.

Exactly, no one plays the "team control" game better than Rizzo. If you want lots of guys who look great on paper, a glorified fantasy baseball team where the postseason is meaningless, then decisions like the Strasburg shutdown are where the magic happens.

Nodding......

He's even brainwashed ADP.

Actually I don't defend them. I agree. I can only worry about myself. I watched most of the game on TV. Pay attention a little better next time.

it is intellectually dishonest of the burrs to suggest he only worries about himself.

it is intellectually dishonest of the burrs to suggest he only worries about himself.

Wham it comes to supporting team so can only worry about myself. Yes, that is true. I've stuck by thru a lot more losing seasons than winning ones I my lifetime.,

Now we're getting into the sabremetrics of inning counting.
And if spg1234567ers would go a step further and demand that BIG DATA take this on. Are 40 pitches over one inning worse than 40 pitches over 4 innings? What about in the heat/cold? Full windup/stretch? Fastball/offspeed? I WANT THE TRUTH.
Sounds like there is a sabermetric opportunity to examine innings count.

Let's throw all variables in and see what falls out:
Time between pitches
Length of stride
Bullpen sessions
Long toss throws on off days
Heat/ice/massage therapy
Medications
Wearing a coat between innings
Flexibility of shoulder, wrist and elbow
Density and thickness of all relevant tendons and muscles
Angle/force of all bodily motions during pitches
MRIs at regular intervals to measure changes leading up to injuries
Etc
Etc

And I bet this has all been done. There's enough data and enough people interested in it and enough money at stake.

Let's throw all variables in and see what falls out:
Time between pitches
Length of stride
Bullpen sessions
Long toss throws on off days
Heat/ice/massage therapy
Medications
Wearing a coat between innings
Flexibility of shoulder, wrist and elbow
Density and thickness of all relevant tendons and muscles
Angle/force of all bodily motions during pitches
MRIs at regular intervals to measure changes leading up to injuries
Etc
Etc

And I bet this has all been done. There's enough data and enough people interested in it and enough money at stake.
I'd like these variables better if they had fancy acronyms attached to them.

Are the Nata really going to give up a 7-1 lead in one inning?

Tough not to like this Mets team. They are fun to watch. If I was Mets management I would lock up Cespedes quick. Guy is a complete stud.

Reactions: SnottieDrippen
Tough not to like this Mets team. They are fun to watch. If I was Mets management I would lock up Cespedes quick. Guy is a complete stud.

So, you're a Mets' fan? Are you allowed to answer that?

Just went back and looked at the "expert's" predictions......WASH/SEA was a very popular world series pick. Good work fellas.

Probably safe to turn the oven off. But given the Mets' history with these sort of things (though this is a much different team than '07 -- Wright only holdover?), moreso the fact that there might be a couple cracks in their rotation at the moment (Harvey issues and Niese stinks), and that the teams close the season with 3 against each other (so really "only" need to make up 4 in 20 to have a shot heading into that series) I'd say not yet.

Best argument for turning the oven off is probably that they both play a lot of horrible teams down the stretch in the NL East, will be hard to lose enough. But the Mets were stumbling before the DC series.

adp I believe turned the oven off after the 7-1 meltdown a couple days ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT