ADVERTISEMENT

Hockey Playoffs

“I have to be better,” Lundqvist said. “Obviously we’re not going to win if I give up six goals.”

“I was just late reacting,” Lundqvist said. “It’s a tough one. The whole game was really challenging for me. I just need to dig deep here and try to be more consistent.”

May 21, 2015

#neversaynever

I guess our definitions of diva are different. Does Lundqvist beg to sit out games? Is he soft and injured a lot? Does he get coaches fired? Did he sit and hold out for more money at any point? Do his teammates not like him? Has any teammate uttered a single word about him not being a team player? Being a 'me first' player? Demand personnel changes? Does he not work at his job? Skips practice? In 12 years? No?

I mean, i guess he could go off and pout about not being ready to retire and go join another team and retire there after playing like 5 games. Rub it in the face of my his old team in a painfully awkward retirement presser. That could happen I guess. Too soon to tell.

I appreciated the moral victory comment in the one post. The one about playing a lot of hockey over the last four years along with the Hawks & Kings. Of course, the latter two have split the last four cups. Despite some recent playoff success by the Blue Shirts, I'm not sure all three of those clubs belong in the same sentence. Anyway, you guys can carry on....

I appreciated the moral victory comment in the one post. The one about playing a lot of hockey over the last four years along with the Hawks & Kings. Of course, the latter two have split the last four cups. Despite some recent playoff success by the Blue Shirts, I'm not sure all three of those clubs belong in the same sentence. Anyway, you guys can carry on....

Total moral victory. It is unfortunate they were not able to get over the hump. But it doesn't change the fact they are one of those team that have basically played an extra full season over the last 4 years. I didnt compare their ultimate success, just the amount of hockey they have played, which is similar. Almost identical actually. They are not giving excuses so I won't, but when I looked at them this year, what i saw most was a collective group that looked pretty spent. They got beat to a lot of loose pucks all year, they seemed to give up on a lot of plays in the defensive zone or coming back. Not at all characteristic of this current group the last few years. Didn't see a lack of will this year - just seemed like they couldn't summon the legs. They were able to do it in spurt, just not with the consistency they have shown. It was my hope they were just kind of doing what needed to be done to get to the playoffs - then turn it on, but the last couple weeks of the season, and obviously the playoffs, showed that wasn't the case.

Dmill is obsessed with Marty and the Devils. It really is hilarious.

Not really. Haven't really thought about them since 2012. Not much to think about really. Not sure there will be anything in the near term either. That team looks dead. Hasn't drafted a high end NHL talent in forever either. Fingers crossed of Zacha I guess.

Not really. Haven't really thought about them since 2012. Not much to think about really. Not sure there will be anything in the near term either. That team looks dead. Hasn't drafted a high end NHL talent in forever either. Fingers crossed of Zacha I guess.

you brought them up, unprovoked, numerous times in this thread. but yea, get your shots in now, I guess? Devils are in much better shape than the Rangers are, longterm. I do know that.

Devils farm system is fine. Zacha looks like he has all the tools. Devils' AHL affiliate is one of the better teams in the AHL and they have another high pick this year. Not really worried. They seem to be rebuilding the right way, finally.

Total moral victory. It is unfortunate they were not able to get over the hump. But it doesn't change the fact they are one of those team that have basically played an extra full season over the last 4 years. I didnt compare their ultimate success, just the amount of hockey they have played, which is similar. Almost identical actually. They are not giving excuses so I won't, but when I looked at them this year, what i saw most was a collective group that looked pretty spent. They got beat to a lot of loose pucks all year, they seemed to give up on a lot of plays in the defensive zone or coming back. Not at all characteristic of this current group the last few years. Didn't see a lack of will this year - just seemed like they couldn't summon the legs. They were able to do it in spurt, just not with the consistency they have shown. It was my hope they were just kind of doing what needed to be done to get to the playoffs - then turn it on, but the last couple weeks of the season, and obviously the playoffs, showed that wasn't the case.

This appears to be fair and reasonable. Solid analysis.

Just scanned the Albany Roster - outside of Zacha, who I do like, looks like a bunch of guys already in their mid to upper 20's. I don't have a lot of high end hope for guys not in the league at 22 to be top end players. Their top scorer was 28th in the league this year and their top four scorers are over 25 in the AHL. Their current NHL roster is not exactly teeming with good young players.

So, that being said, let's say that Pavel Bunchenvich and Zacha are comparable, which is fair I think. Why do you think the Devils are so well better suited for the long term? Prospect pool for NJ is rated one of the worst in the NHL currently. Rangers equally low pretty much, but at least they have called up players these last 3 years, and not had the luxury of picking high. I must be missing something.

Kings, Blackhawks, and Rangers all out

gonna be cool to see all these new teams battle for the Cup

Besides your understandable CoDB homer-ism, your post is valid. The west is wide open, and it would be cool to see if the sharks can avoid crapping themselves and actually make it to the finals.

As far as the east goes, is it safe to assume the winner of the caps-pens series makes it to the finals?

Rangers obviously came up short but it doesn't change the amount of games these three teams played over the last 4 seasons. Most in the NHL by a fair amount. Seemed to catch up to all of them this year. As I heard this am on NHL radio - Hawks were a step off all night. You don't hear that a lot.

Yet another DC team can hang their banner for regular season success without any real playoff success.

With that said, the caps played good in that series. Can we just say its official: penguins to the cup finals?

sucks that A) Chicago and St. Louis had to play in the 1st round and B) Washington and Pittsburgh had to play in the 2nd round

Those might be the 4 best teams in the NHL

sucks that A) Chicago and St. Louis had to play in the 1st round and B) Washington and Pittsburgh had to play in the 2nd round

Those might be the 4 best teams in the NHL
Hockey playoff seeding is the worst, just doesn't make a lot of sense. List the teams 1-8.

Hockey playoff seeding is the worst, just doesn't make a lot of sense. List the teams 1-8.

The absolute worst. I think there has been a fair amount of talk about it - especially this year when one side of each bracket seemed to be significantly better than the other.

The Caps played their worst hockey this week, but they should have played it against the Islanders. They earned that over 82 games.

Side note, but not surprised to see how much Carl Hagelin has changed the Pens. His line has won them these series. He and Kessel and Bonino have been utterly dominant on both ends. Caps were stubborn in their approach and your Vezina contender cannot get outplayed by some second stringer if you want to win.

Phil Kessel has 18 goals in 33 career playoff games

Guy is always talked about as a cancer but that is pretty remarkable

I didn't watch much regular season hockey but pens looked much faster and more solid in their own end. They were the better team in this series l.

Phil Kessel has 18 goals in 33 career playoff games

Guy is always talked about as a cancer but that is pretty remarkable

I don't know how he does it - he has the physique of a mens league player you see whooping down a burrito before the games. But he really came to life when Hags showed up this year - and so did Hagelin for that matter who scuffled his way through 3 months in Anaheim. Just an amazing trade for the Pens. Hated losing him. Hated it the minute it happened. That line has been absolutely lights out.

Love the way this league is headed overall, even if I can see my team being left behind a bit. Speed Speed Speed.

Couple of game 7's tonight. I'd like to see STL and SJ in the Semi final. That would be a great series. But I could live with Dallas too as long as we get to see Seguin back. Pens in very good shape to win this.

I don't know how he does it - he has the physique of a mens league player you see whooping down a burrito before the games. But he really came to life when Hags showed up this year - and so did Hagelin for that matter who scuffled his way through 3 months in Anaheim. Just an amazing trade for the Pens. Hated losing him. Hated it the minute it happened. That line has been absolutely lights out.

Love the way this league is headed overall, even if I can see my team being left behind a bit. Speed Speed Speed.

Couple of game 7's tonight. I'd like to see STL and SJ in the Semi final. That would be a great series. But I could live with Dallas too as long as we get to see Seguin back. Pens in very good shape to win this.

the Nashville-San Jose game is actually tomorrow night for some reason.

For some reason aka Game 7 stand alone TV ratings

the game is in San Jose...they could've just staggered the games at 7pm and 10pm

the real problem is that Selena Gomez has a concert tonight at San Jose's arena, which I just looked up on their website

Stamkos practiced without the no contact jersey. Him coming back and scoring is their only hope I would say. Maybe Ben Bishop as well. Bishop's been really good here this season. TB's problem won't be keeping up with the Pens - they can do that easily. I just like the ways the Pens are defending right now. Sullivan's done a nice job on that - no one else could in the last 5 years. The Cap's problem wasn't getting shots - it was getting good shots and rebounds.

Went to the San Jose game last night. First hockey game I've been to since middle school. Fun time, dumb sport.

Playing well. Happy Pavelski is not Canadian. Have to give them credit - regardless of what market might or might not have been there for Thornton and Marleau, they stuck with those guys and both have been great during this run. Solid odds to win this thing.

When did it become en vogue to pull your goalie w multiple minutes left? St Louis had their guy pulled w 4 minutes remaining. I know they were down 3 goals but still.

Also, does Hitchcock get on skates to run practice? He's not as big as he used to be, but he's still large

I think if I recall correctly Keenan pulled a goalie with a bunch of minutes left back in the 80s and actually tied the game -- might have been Montreal though and not Keenan.

Hitch is still huuuuuge . Amazing he's still around.

Reactions: YourBuddyRayhad
Incredible game and fun series. Pens team is fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT