ADVERTISEMENT

I'm back, taking questions

I'm a Yankees fan, so generally speaking you have to be an oil heir or a hedge fund manager to be able to afford to go to a playoff game.

My birthday is in early October, and I always thought it would have been a cool birthday to go to a Yankees playoff game, but my parents never pulled the trigger because it probably would have cost like ten grand. I was always disappointed every year until I grew up and realized how expensive it is to go to a baseball game.
Wow, that sucks. If only you knew a liberal artist with access to those tix at fave value.

What % of Yankkes fans are described by the above sentence? 95%?
Why is Yankee fandom so cultish? Nothing in pro sports approaches it.

How did you decide to have a little Merc? What has surprised you about it so far?

Was your garage f*cked up from the bike hitting it? Do you tell people about it or are you embarassed?

Do you have a friendly relationship with any of your neighbors?

I would say it only describes about 50% of Yankees fans, since most of the Yankees fans I know don't even know a lot about the Yankees. I have never heard Yankee fandom described as "cultish," but Yankee fans are the way they are because that's the way it's always been throughout the history of the game. It also helps that they play in New York, where there are no college teams, and that it's one of the only cities in the country that is baseball-first.

We got married a little later in life and decided that we didn't want to rush into having kids. We wanted to save some money, buy and renovate a house, and get a little further into our careers. We have been married for 2 years next month, and decided that next year would be a good time to have a baby. I've been surprised about how sick she has been. I thought morning sickness was just an occasional thing, but she has been constantly ill with something or other every day for a long time now. Not just nausea but headaches, dizziness, indigestion, you name it. We're into the second trimester and she still feels like garbage. I'm also surprised that modern medicine hasn't found a way to speed this whole process up yet. It takes way too long.

I tell people about the bike, and I'm not embarrassed. It happens, it's not like I killed someone.

I don't have many friendly relationships with neighbors. The house directly across the street from me is abandoned and is locked in some sort of an estate fight. The house next to them is an older couple that has a shore house and are never there. The two houses next to me on one side are both elderly people. One has a boyfriend who lives somewhere else and she spends all of her time with him and it's essentially vacant. The other lady is so sold that she has a caretaker in the house with her and doesn't seem very mobile. The other side of me is a cemetery. It's a pretty dead neighborhood right now (no pun intended) but in the next few years it's going to turn over and hopefully there will be some young families.

Do you ever get the itch to do "real world" engineering?

What % of people in your social circle are smarter than you? % at your workplace?

Would you want Merc3 to caddy? Or another job during his formative years?
All the time. I really like building things, which is why I studied engineering in the first place, and now all I do is push paper around. I'd like to actually say that I contributed to the design of some sort of product.

50% of my social circle is smarter than me in at least something. At my workplace, the paralegals and other staff are borderline retarded but I'd say that 75% of the attorneys are smarter than I am.

Merc3 can caddy, it's a gr8 way to learn the game and make some coin. He can do another job if he wants, but I'd like him to work in some sort of service (even if it's just retail) because you need to understand customer service first and foremost before you can do anything else. I don't want him to be one of those doofs who never has a real job until after college and then acts all entitled.

Please elaborate.
You seem to live the dream, and are probably the best golfer on the board. Picked up and moved to a low COL area (which tons of people talk about doing, but nobody seems to ever do) and are living comfortably on a teacher's salary, which are borderline poverty wages in a lot of places. Seem to have a nice balanced home life and plenty of free time.

I was hoping to be insulted.

Good to have you back.

Any part of you that admires what Donald Trump is doing? If so, why?

I was hoping to be insulted.

Good to have you back.

Any part of you that admires what Donald Trump is doing? If so, why?
No, not really. I don't think that being a blowhard who caters to the lowest common denominator of the republican party is something that deserves admiration.

Describe the most delicious sandwich that you have ever eaten.
There used to be a place in Hoboken called Fiore's, on First, that got flooded out during Sandy and never came back. They made a grilled chicken sandwich with prosciutto and arugula that was out of this world. There was just the right amount of sweetness from the prosciutto, and they put just a little bit of oil and vinegar on it. It wasn't overspiced and oversauced like most sandwiches usually are. I ordered it a few more times from them, but they never compared to that first one. It was just perfect.

There used to be a place in Hoboken called Fiore's, on First, that got flooded out during Sandy and never came back. They made a grilled chicken sandwich with prosciutto and arugula that was out of this world. There was just the right amount of sweetness from the prosciutto, and they put just a little bit of oil and vinegar on it. It wasn't overspiced and oversauced like most sandwiches usually are. I ordered it a few more times from them, but they never compared to that first one. It was just perfect.
Not fiores. Fiores is the place that I get the mozzarella.

Filipo's on first I think is what you are talking about.

So, you're stuck pushing paper in a job that might be modestly challenging and occasionally interesting. And merc3 is coming now. Are you going to continue to grind it out or are your formulating an exit strategy?

Describe if/how spirituality (not necessarily religion) plays a role in your life.

Will you consider snuffing out any of the older neighbors so that new young families can move in and have friends for mer3 to play with?

Is there any athlete that has been disproportionately crapped on to a greater extent than A-Rod? I can't understand why people hate him. He's a legend.

Describe your thoughts on preparing to watch less talented but "safer" PG Ryan Archidiacono steer your favorite team to another safe and successful regular season and with an early NCAA exit. Isn't there a devil on every Nova fan's shoulder that wants him on the bench unless its triple OT and Booth and Bruson cant breathe anymore?

So, you're stuck pushing paper in a job that might be modestly challenging and occasionally interesting. And merc3 is coming now. Are you going to continue to grind it out or are your formulating an exit strategy?

Describe if/how spirituality (not necessarily religion) plays a role in your life.

Will you consider snuffing out any of the older neighbors so that new young families can move in and have friends for mer3 to play with?

Is there any athlete that has been disproportionately crapped on to a greater extent than A-Rod? I can't understand why people hate him. He's a legend.

Describe your thoughts on preparing to watch less talented but "safer" PG Ryan Archidiacono steer your favorite team to another safe and successful regular season and with an early NCAA exit. Isn't there a devil on every Nova fan's shoulder that wants him on the bench unless its triple OT and Booth and Bruson cant breathe anymore?

I have been trying to get out for about 2 years, but the industry is not in good shape right now and unfortunately my background is in an area that is basically nonexistant in this area of the country (electronics design). So my plan is to suck it up for another couple of years until the partnership vote. If I'm asked to leave before then, I do have a few backup plans that will depend on what the state of the law is at the time.

We both believe in God and are both Catholic. We go to mass on occasion, which is more than I can say about most Catholics in this part of the country. I don't necessarily think about God or the bible when I'm making life decisions, but I do think it's important to have that moral compass.

I don't think I need to expend any effort snuffing out my neighbors. If I wait, nature will assassinate them for me.

The NY Media turned on A-Rod the moment he got here because of the big contract. They invented some feud between him and Jeter that he was never going to win. Let's not forget that he converted to a 3B because of the guy. I will never understand why people turned on him the way they did. And it was before the steroids thing. A five tool player. One of the greatest sluggers ever, and when you put him up against the other sluggers of this generation there's no comparison when you look at the completeness of the player. He could get around the bases (not so much anymore), hit for avg, and wasn't a liability in the field at all. He was also pretty much the sole reason they won the World Series in 2009. I am a big A-Rod fan. I know that puts me in the minority.

I think that experience matters in a PG, and I think that taking care of the ball is paramount. Arci can score, and we have other guys on the team that can get to the bucket. I don't mind Arci being the floor general, but I would be disappointed if Booth and Brunson don't get the run they deserve.

If you totaled your car today and your insurance company gave you it's full value plus 20%, what would you get with it?
An S4 (2013-2014). I was actually in the market for a certified used S4 for a while, but then with the damage to the current car from the bike accident, the new tires and brakes, and a baby on the way, I couldn't justify the purchase.

Was your garage f*cked up from the bike hitting it?

I missed this question, sorry. The garage was fine. The part that the bike hit was actually brick work that was above my garage (not the door itself) so there wasn't even a scratch on it. If there was siding there, the bike would have probably put a hole in it or at least damaged it, and then it would have been a whole different ball of wax. I'm actually grateful that there was so little damage, it could have been really bad.

I went to the 34th Americas Cup when we (meaning the "Americans" not from the U.S.) were getting smoked. Cool event

How many total donuts have you eaten in the last 10 years? Donut holes?
Do you have a favorite shirt? Describe?
Which newsgroup member's schtick has declined the most in the last 18 months? Who has stepped it up the most (other than LizReed)?
Have you ever gone to therapy? If so, describe?
Do you know any teachers? Describe them.

O/U/P:
handicapped parking
Garden State Parkway
gardening (flowers/plants)
gardening (vegetables)
veganism
Tool (band)
boxers (garment)
Roy Jones Jr.
domestic violence
lemon zest

How many total donuts have you eaten in the last 10 years? Donut holes?
Do you have a favorite shirt? Describe?
Which newsgroup member's schtick has declined the most in the last 18 months? Who has stepped it up the most (other than LizReed)?
Have you ever gone to therapy? If so, describe?
Do you know any teachers? Describe them.

O/U/P:
handicapped parking - Proper
Garden State Parkway - Proper
gardening (flowers/plants) - Over
gardening (vegetables) - Under (though trending towards properly)
veganism - Over
Tool (band)' - Proper
boxers (garment) - Over
Roy Jones Jr. - Don't know who this is, so proper
domestic violence - Over
lemon zest - Proper
Total donuts: probably 2,000. Donut holes, probably 20.

My favorite shirt is and always will be a solid white broadcloth, french cuff, with a forward point collar.

I have been off the board since March so I don't really know who has declined. I think DP, who is now ChicagoSux, used to be funny and now is not.

Never been to therapy, physical or mental. I probably should have gone to physical therapy when I broke a finger twice, but now instead I just have a finger that is way bigger/more misshapen than all of the others.

I know a number of teachers or former teachers. High school girlfriend -- total dunce who "liked being around kids." Friend of a friend who teaches kindergarten -- same. I also know two former jocks, who are both teaching physical therapy and/or coaching high school level sports. One is my uncle who is now retired. The other is a college buddy.

O/U's are answered above in the quote.

How would you describe this TQ session?
OK, like all TQ sessions it seems like people rush to add new questions rather than following-up on previous answers. How did nobody ask me about golf, which is one of the board's favorite subjects, when I said I stopped cycling for the first half of the summer to focus on my golf game? Why did nobody ask me why I left? I literally thought that was going to be the first question. The lack of obvious follow-up questions when I am intentionally leaving gaping holes in my answers indicates that the board isn't very good at cross examination.

It also suffers from a lack of traffic/interest, which is more of a symptom of the board generally.

Last edited:
If you totaled your car today and your insurance company gave you it's full value plus 20%, what would you get with it?
My answer stands, as the new S4 was released yesterday (2017) and it looks terrible. I think the current platform is going to really increase in value. Might have to try to snag one anyway.

No one followed up because hearing people talk golf is only a shade better than hearing them talk about fantasy football.

How would you define the word "journeyman" in relation to north american sports?
I would define it as a player who changes teams often, and is usually also barely good enough to be in whatever league he is playing in. The classic example of a journeyman is a baseball player that spends a career shuttling in between the majors and the minors for a large number of different organizations, usually as a middle relief pitcher.

The key to a journeyman is not only playing for a lot of different teams, but also being not that good. A highly paid player who plays for a lot of different teams because they keep falling all over themselves to give him a big contract is not a journeyman, in my mind.

Your pussy answer on penis size means this TQ lacks true candor, and therefore sucks.

A chance to redeem yourself:
Best case scenario total comp in 2017.
Worst case.

And dont be such a fukking coward in your answer this time.

Why did you leave?
How's your golf game?
I left because I fell into a pretty deep depression after the NC State game, and I figured that watching people I've never met play a game on TV probably shouldn't affect me in such a way. I thought that spending time on vusports was part of the reason, and I decided to pay less attention to sports in general because of it. I also was just wasting too much time on the internet, and decided to cut back (I also quit facebook for the same reason).

Golf game is only ok. I took some lessons earlier in the year and went to a two day golf school, both of which caused me to suck total ass. I went to play with NBN and his dad at their club and shot a 104 which was pretty embarrassing. I hit one decent shot the whole round.

Later in the summer I put it together a bit, and shot an 86 at Royce Brook from the tips. But in the end, my handicap isn't any lower than it was last year before the focus on game improvement, so I've pretty much given up on trying to practice and study my swing because I just don't have the time to improve my game.

Your pussy answer on penis size means this TQ lacks true candor, and therefore sucks.

A chance to redeem yourself:
Best case scenario total comp in 2017.
Worst case.

And dont be such a fukking coward in your answer this time.
2017 is a long way off, and also my partnership year. If I am still here, my base will be $255k, so that will be my worst case. They reduce your bonus by 50% in your partnership year, on the assumption that your real "bonus" is making partner. This year, market bonuses for an 8th year are about 90k, so assuming we pay market, adn assuming I hit my hours, I'd probably get about $45k for a total $300k comp. That's of course assuming that market bonuses stay where they are. The bonus market tends to change a bit from year to year (although it looks like this year is going to be the same as the last year). I think it's currently a bit high, and going to trend downward in years to come, but I'll go with $300k as a nice round ceiling.

Of course, I could get canned, or quit, and then my worst case comp is 0, and my best case is probably $120k working at some small prosecution shop or doing local counsel stuff.

have you ever been in a fist fight?

if so, when?

who won?

what size of popcorn is the appropriate size to order at a movie?

after a movie is over - do you take your trash or leave it on the floor?

do you ever intentionally shoulder check people walking down the side walk who are on your side of the sidewalk and looking at their phones?

what's you standard burrito order at chipotle?

if you were in prison, what would your strategy for survival be?

have you ever been in a fist fight?

if so, when?

who won?

what size of popcorn is the appropriate size to order at a movie?

after a movie is over - do you take your trash or leave it on the floor?

do you ever intentionally shoulder check people walking down the side walk who are on your side of the sidewalk and looking at their phones?

what's you standard burrito order at chipotle?

if you were in prison, what would your strategy for survival be?

I have never been in a fist fight.

The correct size of popcorn to order at a movie is no popcorn, because going to the movies is for losers.

I take my trash with me, I think. I can't remember. I don't go to the movies enough to have a regular moviegoing trash strategy.

I will make contact with people on the sidewalk if they are really not paying attention, and/or are walking erratically and impeding the flow of pedestrian traffic.

Standard burrito order is chicken, brown rice, black beans, mild salsa, a little bit of sour cream, lettuce, and cheese.

In prison, I would probably file frivolous Section 1983 complaints for the prisoners and try to get them some money. These usually get filed without lawyers, and are terrible, and I could probably gin something up that at least gets past the motion to dismiss stage.

Given the discussion on the basketball board, when do you think Jay should start recruiting players Hoopcat "points the board to"? 7th Grade? Whenever Jay F'king feeels like it? The womb?
How well do you think Nova hoops will do over the next five years? Whats our realistic ceiling? What is the most likely scenario? Your realistic thoughts on Jay as a coach? Will there be a considerable dropoff as a result of Hilliard and Pinkston's graduation?

Will you push your future son to any specific sports? Do you think your kid will be a great,middle of the pack, or shitty athlete based on you and your wife's athletic prowess? Given concussion concerns, if your son wanted to play football would you let him? (As a non-parent this is incredibley short sighted as I'm sure any parent/future parent just wishes for a happy and healthy child. But hypothetically speaking)

What is a section 1983 complaint?
What piece of legal knowledge would help people, but almost everyone is completely ignorant of it?
What piece of recent news inspired the most outrage in you?
What will be Hillary's undoing?
Please create your own 5 item O/U/P list and evaluate each of the items. This is a psychological exercise.
You're a good writer. I enjoy how you express your thoughts. Clear, clean, your voice really comes through.
Do you want to make partner? What are the pros and cons?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT