ADVERTISEMENT

Johnny Jones and Villanova: A Story of Reconciliation

Oct 20, 2007
I know this is a long read but hopefully worth your time. I am saddened by the death of Johnny and writing this was one small way to pay my respects. I agree with many others about the desire to see Johnny's jersey hanging in the rafters and will be sending a note to Coach Wright, Vince and Mark Jackson expressing support for this idea.

Johnny Jones and Villanova: A Story of Reconciliation

In March 2012, I had the pleasure of traveling to Florida with the purpose of interviewing three Villanova alums – Johnny Jones ‘69, Jim McIntosh ‘69 and Ted Freeman ’72 – as part of the Black Villanova Oral History Project. I began this project as part of my research for a dissertation on the history of the African American student experience at institutions of Catholic higher education during the civil rights movement.

Ted Freeman, a former student-athlete on the football team at Villanova, responded to my letter inviting African American alumni to share their stories as part of this research project. Ted told me that he had a mostly positive experience during his undergraduate days at Villanova, yet, he shared with me, however, that many of his African American peers did not have positive experiences at Villanova during this time period (the 1960s and early 1970s). He knew that this oral history project was an important one as many African American alumni were bitter about their experiences and wanted to share their stories. Ted saw in this project the potential for redemption and reconciliation.

In February 2012, Ted told me that he had recently had a conversation with Johnny Jones about his desire to reconnect with his alma mater. This was a stunning turn of events for Johnny as he had not been back to campus in over forty years. He did not return to campus even as they inducted him into the Villanova Hall of Fame in 1985. In fact, I was told that, at one point in time, he asked the Men’s Basketball office to take him off of their mailing list. Coach Jay Wright prides himself on reaching out to Villanova basketball alums to develop the sense of community within the Villanova basketball family but Johnny initially seemed to want no parts of this. Coach Wright was persistent and invited Johnny to watch Villanova play and address the team when they visited Northwood near Johnny’s home in Fort Lauderdale.

Ted also told me that Jim McIntosh was living in Sarasota and so I could interview all three gentlemen in one trip to Florida. I told Ted that if he could arrange an interview for me with Johnny that I would be on the next flight down there. The interview was arranged. I told Villanova President Father Peter Donohue about the trip I was undertaking and, as this was not part of my official University business but part of my dissertation research, Father Peter agreed to find funding for me to complete this research.

The night before the interview Johnny sent an email out to approximately 20 African American alumni that I now had on an email list. He told the group that they owed it to themselves and to the African American community of Villanova to tell their stories and to participate in this project. He told the group that he wasn’t sure what he was going to talk about but that he promised to tell the truth about his experiences. This email made me both excited and terrified at the same time, I had no idea what to expect.

I showed up at Johnny’s home and he greeted me with a big smile and a huge handshake. I knew that he was listed at 6’4” when he played but he seemed larger than life. He had every right to be skeptical of my motives and to be suspicious of how I would interpret his story. Yet, he trusted me unconditionally. We spent the next three – four hours talking about his tough life growing up in the segregated South, his recruitment by George Raveling, and his experiences at Villanova. We shared some laughs and some tears but most of all we shared precious time together. Johnny poured his heart and soul into this exchange and I was filled with an overwhelmingly sense of respect and admiration for someone who endured so much pain in his life.

The contours of his life and the trials and tribulations that he faced can all be viewed in the Oral History project and read in my dissertation. They can be found online by searching for the Black Villanova Oral History Project. The most poignant story that Johnny told was how he failed a biology class during his final semester at Villanova as a result of missing a dissection of a frog because he had to travel to an away basketball game. Since he was a scholarship athlete, he fulfilled his obligations and went on the trip assuming that he would be able to make up the lab. He was told several days before Commencement that he would fail the class and would not be able to walk. Johnny’s mother was en route from Pompano Beach, Florida, but would not get the chance to see him graduate. They spent Villanova’s graduation day in Philadelphia visiting relatives. There were other stories – told both on and off the record – that reinforced in him a sense of betrayal after his usefulness as a basketball player was over. Like all of us, Johnny was not a perfect person but some of the stories he told (which were corroborated by others) led me to conclude that he faced some difficult and unnecessary situations as an African American student-athlete on Villanova’s campus. Simply put, he felt as though he was treated as a commodity and not as a student-athlete.

Despite all of the obvious pain that still haunted him over forty years later, there was some hope for reconciliation. Johnny talked lovingly about the influence of the Augustinians on him and how they inspired him to ultimately pursue a life of ministry. Forty years later, he still vividly recalled some words of wisdom they imparted on him. When I finally left his home, he looked me in the eye and said “Thank You!” He also told me that he would like to come back to Villanova some day. I sincerely and without hesitation told him, “If you promise to come back, I will put together a reunion for you.” I had no idea if I could deliver on this promise but it just came out because I wanted nothing more than to see him step foot back on a campus that he had not returned to since he left in 1969.

When I returned to Villanova, I was to meet with Father Peter to give him a report on my trip. Before my meeting, I called over to the Registrar’s office to ask the burning question that was on my mind. I found out that the official record listed Johnny as having graduated in 1969 but there was an indication that he had never received his diploma. As I had lunch with Father Peter, I told him of my interview with Johnny and then I told him of my idea to have a reunion for those who participated in the project. We both looked at each other and knew what needed to be done for Johnny.

Several weeks later, at Homecoming 2012, Villanova sponsored an event called “Back and Black” that served both as a kickoff to the Oral History project’s website and as a reunion honoring those men and women who told their stories as part of the project. The Reverend Johnny Jones, who drove up from Florida with Ted Freeman, provided the invocation where he spoke eloquently about the need for reconciliation. After Johnny finished his invocation, Father Peter welcomed the packed crowd to this important event. In a pivotal moment in the history of race relations at Villanova, Father Peter said “for the times that we have failed [for not making black students feel welcome], I extend my apologies.” Near the conclusion of Father Peter’s remarks, he brought Johnny Jones up to the stage and presented him with the diploma that Villanova failed to present to him when he earned it in 1969. Johnny received a standing ovation – many with tears in their eyes – as he accepted that diploma on behalf of himself and others like him who struggled during this time period. One of the lessons of Johnny’s life is that Villanova may not have always been a perfect place but there is something truly special about the place that draws people back and makes them proud to be part of the Villanova family.

I am so grateful that I had the chance to meet and to befriend Johnny Jones. He was an amazingly humble, gentle man who had a tremendous sense of humor and passion for life. When Johnny and Ted were driving up from Florida for the reunion, I had to call him because I had just received a phone call from Coach Wright. Coach asked me if Johnny was going to be able to come to Hoops Mania and, if so, would he be amenable to being a judge in the Dunk Contest. I got in contact with Johnny and Ted as they were passing through North Carolina and they sounded like two college kids on a road trip –laughing and making fun of one another. Johnny was reluctant to be a judge as he joked that dunking was outlawed when he played so he didn’t know the first thing about it. Eventually, he agreed and he received a wonderful ovation from the Nova Nation fans.

The night that Johnny received his long-awaited diploma was one of the proudest moments of my life. I am so grateful that I was, at least I part, able to help facilitate Johnny’s reconciliation with his alma mater before his untimely passing. I cannot imagine the emotions going through him as he returned to campus but I will never forget the moment we walked into Jake Nevin Field House together. Tears filled Johnny’s eyes as he set his gaze upon a place that brought back so many memories – both positive and negative – for him.

My friendship with Johnny and the example of Johnny’s life has taught me invaluable lessons about humility, patience, reconciliation and forgiveness. I hope you can take the time to reflect on this story to draw similar inspiration. I also ask you to take time to pray for Johnny, his family and his friends.

Submitted by:
Tom Mogan (former Director of Student Development, Villanova University)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News