ADVERTISEMENT

LizReed - golf lesson advice

NovaHoops2002

VUSports.com All-American
Sep 28, 2009
LizReed - my golf game is a mess. I am hacking it out there right now. I have been the range a lot trying to work on my grip/swing and nothing seems to work.

My friend recommended going to a place where the record your swing and then analyze it and come up with a lesson plan for you. I can't decide if that would work well for me as opposed to just going to a pro for lessons. Which would you recommend?

If you at least have a half decent idea of how to play, I'd suggest just a lesson or two. A pro should be able to identify a few problems quickly.

If you at least have a half decent idea of how to play, I'd suggest just a lesson or two. A pro should be able to identify a few problems quickly.
I was thinking the same thing. I have never been what one would consider a good golfer, but I could at least manage a couple pars and maybe a birdie or 2 a round. This year it has been complete slop, I can't hit the fairway with any drives and my slice has leaked into my iron shots as well. Towards the end of last season I was getting my score down to the low 90's but this year it has been bad.

if playing a round in the low 90s is good for you , you need lessons.

are you a member at a club? where do you live, if in PA i can recommend someone for you.

i would find a teaching pro, NOT a head pro at a country club. sign up for 3-5 lessons. Do not play until lessons are over.

i have learned one thing about golf, in order to be successful long term you NEED to get rid of your slice asap. takes off distance and you wont hit fairways and greens with a slice.

I'm pretty cruddy as well, but unless you are looking for a total swing overhaul, its probably more affordable and less complicated to just go to a pro.

the teaching pro will be able to help your set up and ball position. thats key to a successful swing.

also a stronger (top hand) grip can help a slicing golfer. it also helps you rip the ball off the tee. iron shots should be with a neutral grip.

if playing a round in the low 90s is good for you , you need lessons.

are you a member at a club? where do you live, if in PA i can recommend someone for you.

i would find a teaching pro, NOT a head pro at a country club. sign up for 3-5 lessons. Do not play until lessons are over.

i have learned one thing about golf, in order to be successful long term you NEED to get rid of your slice asap. takes off distance and you wont hit fairways and greens with a slice.
Never said I thought it was good. I am going to go to M Golf Driving Range in Newtown Square. The pro there Stu Ingraham is supposed to be a good teacher. He actually used to coach at Nova. My friend that played on the golf team said he would do a good job. He also recommended going to Golftec in Rosemont. That is where they would record my swing.

Never said I thought it was good. I am going to go to M Golf Driving Range in Newtown Square. The pro there Stu Ingraham is supposed to be a good teacher. He actually used to coach at Nova. My friend that played on the golf team said he would do a good job. He also recommended going to Golftec in Rosemont. That is where they would record my swing.
Thought you were going to name drop sketch.

that's funny, i was going to recommend Stu if you were local to Philly. i never said you said you were good, i was stating if your still in the 90s and thats a low for you, you need some help.

M Golf is a dump BUT Stu is supposed to be one of the best. he is rumored to be black balled from the local clubs after getting caught messing around with members wives and such. only reason why he isnt at a private club as their head pro. he was at Overbrook for years while coaching Nova.

that's funny, i was going to recommend Stu if you were local to Philly. i never said you said you were good, i was stating if your still in the 90s and thats a low for you, you need some help.

M Golf is a dump BUT Stu is supposed to be one of the best. he is rumored to be black balled from the local clubs after getting caught messing around with members wives and such. only reason why he isnt at a private club as their head pro. he was at Overbrook for years while coaching Nova.
Yeah - I was there on Friday and Saturday hitting some balls and was actually eavesdropping on him giving a lesson to a younger kid. I like M Golf, much better than Olde Masters.

I heard he was let go from Nova for having an improper relationship with a female student.

Thought you were going to name drop sketch.
I also considered flying out to Chicago to have him give me lessons. His small bit of work with me a couple years ago really helped me game out a lot. He knows what he is doing, he used to be an assistant pro at a club in the DC area. It's amazing playing golf with him. He is barely 5'5" but he just bombs his driver.

Novahoops - where do you usually play your rounds?
This year I have payed at Paxon Hollow, Jeffersonville, and Radnor Valley. I also play at Springfield, Turtle Creek, Kimberton, Pickering Valley, White Manor occasionally with my friend and his dad, Ballamor down the shore every year and sometimes Avalon Golf Club, Overbrook a couple times, Waynesborough. I think that's most of them.

LizReed - my golf game is a mess. I am hacking it out there right now. I have been the range a lot trying to work on my grip/swing and nothing seems to work.

My friend recommended going to a place where the record your swing and then analyze it and come up with a lesson plan for you. I can't decide if that would work well for me as opposed to just going to a pro for lessons. Which would you recommend?
I think either approach is fine IF you have the time to work on the suggested changes. If you don't have the time or aren't committed to seeing the changes through, I wouldn't bother with either. Golf is a pain in the ass in this way.

Lessons with pros these days will/can involve video if you want. If you're struggling with your game, most likely the fix is something reasonably obvious and probably won't require video analysis. My feeling is that video is for nitpicking.....not anything major.

Everyone takes lessons or has someone look at their swing occasionally. Tour players on down to beginners.

Keep focusing on GPA.......grip, posture, address. With grip being the most important of the three.

proper-golf-grip-right-hand.jpg

Do nothing for the next two weeks except hit balls with a correct grip (don't worry about swingplane, impact, or where the ball goes). The correct grip may feel entirely awkward at first. There will most likely be a few shanks. Don't worry--you'll get used to it pretty quickly. This past winter I had to correct my grip....some bad habits crept in over 30 years. It happens.

Once you've got a correct grip, I'd go see a pro for a lesson. I imagine your slice is pretty easily corrected. Stu Ingraham was/is? a very good playing club pro in the Philly area. I don't know anything about him as a teacher. There are a ton of clubs in the area and most are willing to take your money in the form of a golf lesson. Playing lessons are also cool---easy way to get on private courses.

Stay the course. It sounds like you're committed. If you are, your game will improve. And golf becomes more fun.

Novahoops - thats great.

i play Applebrook and White Manor both are great tracks. im sure i know your friend and his dad. Applebrook has better greens and dining. White Manor is the better lay out.

i have played both courses over 100 times. love them both. i LOVE rolling green but never get to play it. i like Waynesborough as well.

thinking about it i have probably played White Manors new design (since Aug 2003) 250 times. tough track if youre not hitting fairways. some of the green structures are unfair and the membership is considering changing one or two on the back 9, front is fantastic. like most clubs they are low on cash so not sure if thats just talk or it will actually happen in the next three years.

I think either approach is fine IF you have the time to work on the suggested changes. If you don't have the time or aren't committed to seeing the changes through, I wouldn't bother with either. Golf is a pain in the ass in this way.

Lessons with pros these days will/can involve video if you want. If you're struggling with your game, most likely the fix is something reasonably obvious and probably won't require video analysis. My feeling is that video is for nitpicking.....not anything major.

Everyone takes lessons or has someone look at their swing occasionally. Tour players on down to beginners.

Keep focusing on GPA.......grip, posture, address. With grip being the most important of the three.

proper-golf-grip-right-hand.jpg

Do nothing for the next two weeks except hit balls with a correct grip (don't worry about swingplane, impact, or where the ball goes). The correct grip may feel entirely awkward at first. There will most likely be a few shanks. Don't worry--you'll get used to it pretty quickly. This past winter I had to correct my grip....some bad habits crept in over 30 years. It happens.

Once you've got a correct grip, I'd go see a pro for a lesson. I imagine your slice is pretty easily corrected. Stu Ingraham was/is? a very good playing club pro in the Philly area. I don't know anything about him as a teacher. There are a ton of clubs in the area and most are willing to take your money in the form of a golf lesson. Playing lessons are also cool---easy way to get on private courses.

Stay the course. It sounds like you're committed. If you are, your game will improve. And golf becomes more fun.
Thanks - the too strong grip definitely resembles mine. Also, a friend of mine I played with yesterday was telling my that my hips are too fast. I am opening them up and not allowing the club head to catch up with my hands so I am consistently making contact with an open club face. It's the same reason why I was a dead pull hitter in baseball, I never stayed closed and hit through the ball.

thinking about it i have probably played White Manors new design (since Aug 2003) 250 times. tough track if youre not hitting fairways. some of the green structures are unfair and the membership is considering changing one or two on the back 9, front is fantastic. like most clubs they are low on cash so not sure if thats just talk or it will actually happen in the next three years.
White Manor is definitely the most difficult course I have ever played.

My friend caddies at Aronimink occasionally, I am trying to get him to bring me out on a Monday with him to play there.

timing is key. slowing down the back swing might help and also taking tension out of your arms and shoulders. you can swing 115 mph and if you dont hit the ball on the club face its not going anywhere, swing 95 MPH and strike it clean on the center and itll fly long and straight

try 3 lessons, if you do not feel that pro is for you then bail and reassess. but give it 3 lessons.

Thanks - the too strong grip definitely resembles mine. Also, a friend of mine I played with yesterday was telling my that my hips are too fast. I am opening them up and not allowing the club head to catch up with my hands so I am consistently making contact with an open club face. It's the same reason why I was a dead pull hitter in baseball, I never stayed closed and hit through the ball.
Your hips start the downswing. If they rotate too fast, your club will get stuck behind you. The only way to get the club square at impact from that stuck position is to flip your wrists. This requires perfect timing. Hands too slow and you have your slice/push. Hands too fast and you get a thin hook.

Forget about all of that. Get your hands on the club correctly first.

try 3 lessons, if you do not feel that pro is for you then bail and reassess. but give it 3 lessons.
respectfully disagree.....one lesson....work on that one thing for a few weeks and nothing else and then reassess.

usually first lesson is hitting half shots with a wedge or 9 iron just to see the take away , grip, path, etc. then he tweaks that , then full swing. you can only do so much in 45 mins.

like many i have bad habits, i tried the whole changing my swing. its too hard. so now I found a swing that gets me around in anywhere from 80-85 each rd. im happy with that. most of my strokes come from missing the green, chipping and two putting for a bogey. ill make a few birds, some pars and mostly bogeys. removing doubles is key and that starts with putting it in the fairway off the tee. if i want to get in the 70s i need to change my swing and im not willing to do that. i have shot 79 a few times and its all based on making putts for par.

golf is a fun game but man its tough.

i get it out there about 270 off the tee when i crush it. mostly 250 ish. some of the guys i play with are well over 300 yds. its really unbelievable how some guys can hit it. to know ones surprise its the kids who grew up at a country club and taught the game the right way from childhood.

Liz - went to the range last night and hit 100 balls and plan to do so tonight as well. I was still having trouble with my grip and didn't feel great about my time at the range so I ended up watching a bunch of videos on grip tips etc and think I got it down. I ended up reading/watching videos based on Ben Hogan's 5 lessons and realized how off my grip really was. Hopefully tonight will be better.

great book.

try half shots, loose arms, slow backswing and really hit down on your irons.

great tip - buy some Dr Schols foaming foot spray. Spray it on the club face, shows exactly where the ball hits the club. if your off the toe, try standing closer to the ball by half inch or putting your weight more on the front of your feet 70/30 weight front to back. if your off the hossle area. back up half in , place weight in middle of feet. 50/50

great book.

try half shots, loose arms, slow backswing and really hit down on your irons.

great tip - buy some Dr Schols foaming foot spray. Spray it on the club face, shows exactly where the ball hits the club. if your off the toe, try standing closer to the ball by half inch or putting your weight more on the front of your feet 70/30 weight front to back. if your off the hossle area. back up half in , place weight in middle of feet. 50/50
I was always decent with my irons until recently and had no idea why, I realized that I was hitting all my shots thin this year because I was standing too far away from the ball. I sort of corrected that last night and started to hit some nice iron shots - straight and good distance. My driver still needs a ton of work though.

This year I have payed at Paxon Hollow, Jeffersonville, and Radnor Valley. I also play at Springfield, Turtle Creek, Kimberton, Pickering Valley, White Manor occasionally with my friend and his dad, Ballamor down the shore every year and sometimes Avalon Golf Club, Overbrook a couple times, Waynesborough. I think that's most of them.

I haven't played Paxon Hollow in years - used to be one of my regular spots to play. Let me know the next time you are heading over - I will give you some on course lessons.

Liz - went to the range last night and hit 100 balls and plan to do so tonight as well. I was still having trouble with my grip and didn't feel great about my time at the range so I ended up watching a bunch of videos on grip tips etc and think I got it down. I ended up reading/watching videos based on Ben Hogan's 5 lessons and realized how off my grip really was. Hopefully tonight will be better.
Stick with it. You're taking the correct approach (in my opinion). Hit 100 balls tonight with that correct grip and don't worry about anything else.

Novahoops - this is whats so hard about golf for me. I was always so good with my short irons BUT i didnt have a swing, I could just manipulate the short iron and wedge cause they are easy clubs to swing. I always struggled off the tee. so i got lessons. im now hitting a good ball off the tee but struggling with my irons cause i am making a change. too be honest, it blows. im still in the low 80s but its uglier than it was a few years ago. you need the same swing with every club. true, you sweep the driver or wood and decend on the irons and wedges but you get my point.

im making the change now cause once i get older and my hand eye goes i wont be able to manipulate the clubs based on pure hand eye coordination. i need to swing the club, not pick it up and drop it on the back of the ball.

bottom line, golf is hard you everyone needs help.

keep at it.

Today was great for me at the range. I hit everything from my wedges to my 3 wood well. My driver was 50/50 but I finally feel like I got the grip down.

Today was great for me at the range. I hit everything from my wedges to my 3 wood well. My driver was 50/50 but I finally feel like I got the grip down.
Good to hear. Keep doing this for another week. If I may nitpick---don't even bother hitting anything below a 7-iron right now. Build confidence by grooving your short irons. Those swings will translate to the long irons and woods.

Once the grip is second nature go get yourself a lesson.

After stance, grip, and alignment, tempo is the key. Two pros from somewhere in New England
had a program called Tour Tempo. I have never had good tempo, but when I found out that a few days trip
over there for lesson, a room, and the like was going to cost me about $1500, I decided not to go.

Their theory is that every great player had a back and down swing tempo of a 1 to 3; the lower number
is the backswing. According to them you are either a 7/21 or a 8/24 or some other 1 to 3. They have put
the films of great players onto a computer and the numbers are the clicks on the computer.

I gave my good clubs away, and when I do play, it is an unmatched set from my garage. Health
is horrible, but I like to get out and play from the senior tees.

Reactions: ericw
Good to hear. Keep doing this for another week. If I may nitpick---don't even bother hitting anything below a 7-iron right now. Build confidence by grooving your short irons. Those swings will translate to the long irons and woods.

Once the grip is second nature go get yourself a lesson.
Understood. I always start with a 6 iron just to loosen up and then go from my PW to my 4 iron and try to hit at least 5-7 good shots with each club before moving up. I rarely, if ever, hit my 3 wood at the range. But I was feeling great so I went for it and I was hitting it well. I am going to try and go again tonight and I will hit only my 7-8-9-PW.

I was hoping to take off work on Friday and get out for a round but I need to be in the office. I will probably get out next weekend so that should give me plenty of more range days to work on my grip/swing.

Here's another tip, take the 4 iron out of your bag.

agree, maybe even 5 iron. i go 6-PW and then 56 and 60 degree, driver, 3 wood, 4 hybrid, putter.11 clubs is all i need. i never understood guys who carried 14 clubs. whats the point? how much gap do you have between your clubs? ok so throw in a 2 or 3 hybrid and you have 12 clubs.

nothing used to bother me more as a caddie than a guy who carried a PW, 52, 56 ,58 and 60 degree wedge. you arent that good!

Here's another tip, take the 4 iron out of your bag.
Never! It's my brother in laws old 4 iron. I have a set of Wilson irons (my next purchase is new irons for sure) that only go form PW - 5. He got new irons a couple years back so I took his 4 iron. It's a Head 4 iron - probably at least 20 years old - and I can hit it pretty well. I used to hit that off the tee a couple years back when I couldn't straighten out my drives.

agree, maybe even 5 iron. i go 6-PW and then 56 and 60 degree, driver, 3 wood, 4 hybrid, putter.11 clubs is all i need. i never understood guys who carried 14 clubs. whats the point? how much gap do you have between your clubs? ok so throw in a 2 or 3 hybrid and you have 12 clubs.

nothing used to bother me more as a caddie than a guy who carried a PW, 52, 56 ,58 and 60 degree wedge. you arent that good!
This is a ridiculous post. Why wouldn't you take advantage of all the clubs you can have? It's easier to hit a full 52 wedge 100 yards or so than taking yards off a pw. The last thing you want is a 10-15 yard gap in your irons/wedges. Hitting 3/4 wedges with good distance control is something that requires practice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT