ADVERTISEMENT

LizReed - golf lesson advice

looks like Avalon GC or CM National. both have twilight rates. anyone who plays a morning or mid day 6 hr round for top rate is a sucker.

looks like Avalon GC or CM National. both have twilight rates. anyone who plays a morning or mid day 6 hr round for top rate is a sucker.

I played Harbor Pines about a dozen years ago, and I thought it was a very good track. But it seems
to be too far north for you guys.

Forgot about Cape May National. I played there as well, I really enjoyed the course. Beware though, they are the strict about no coolers on the course. Even if it's filled with non-alcoholic beverages.

im ok with no coolers. ill just drink after the round. id be even better if there are no green heads.

Played at Center Square on Saturday. I shaved 11 strokes off my previous score - and this was with terrible tee shots and poor putting. I hit my irons very well and crushed my 3 wood a couple times as well. For some reason my grip and swing is not translating to the driver. I missed every fairway and was scrambling way too much. If could straighten out my tee shots and putt a little bit better I could be breaking 90.

Played at Center Square on Saturday. I shaved 11 strokes off my previous score - and this was with terrible tee shots and poor putting. I hit my irons very well and crushed my 3 wood a couple times as well. For some reason my grip and swing is not translating to the driver. I missed every fairway and was scrambling way too much. If could straighten out my tee shots and putt a little bit better I could be breaking 90.

I played there on Friday and couldn't hit multiple good shots in a row. Made only two putts of significance and walked off with an 86. I have been pulling my irons from 7 through 4 - a little worse as I move up through my bag. My wedge distance control was great two months ago - pitches from 50-80 yards cost me numerous strikes on friday. Did have a great birdie on 15 though.

Center square has to be one of the most bland courses in the universe. Not saying thats a bad thing, and not saying I wouldn't play there again, but it is bland.

Center square has to be one of the most bland courses in the universe. Not saying thats a bad thing, and not saying I wouldn't play there again, but it is bland.
I agree. It was an OK course but nothing stood out. The tee boxes were all too close together and the pace of play was very slow. There were a couple 4 somes holding everyone up.

I can't string together two rounds in a row. It's really frustrating. I shot 77 a few weeks ago but followed it up with an ugly 83 a week later. Last week shot 76 (in OBX) but followed it up with a very ugly 85 at home on Saturday. I thought I had all the answers after the 76. I was hitting almost every fairway on a narrow course, had great wedge control and putt really well. On Saturday, I had 3 shanks from center of the fairway 110 yards out and 3-putted 5 greens (and a 4 putt!)

Since I've been playing different courses, I'm having trouble adjusting to the pace of the greens. I loved putting the slower and softer Bermuda greens in NC but really just couldn't adjust back to the bent greens on long putts. Even after 20 minutes on the practice green I was all over the place on the course. The putting is just feel and will work itself out with more play but I need to hit the range with just my wedge and just work on rhythm for a few days. I tend to get quick at the top and either skull or chunk it and if i catch it solid it's a monster slice. I just need to relax my hands and swing easy. I find that practicing pitch shots and bunker shots is a great way to get your rhythm back.

Reactions: ericw
Played Carrituck last week and greens were so slow. Assume you did as well. Hitting the ball well and the short game is coming. Should be into single digits within a few months as I'll have time play.

QUOTE="HereComeTheCats, post: 161715, member: 1748"]I can't string together two rounds in a row. It's really frustrating. I shot 77 a few weeks ago but followed it up with an ugly 83 a week later. Last week shot 76 (in OBX) but followed it up with a very ugly 85 at home on Saturday. I thought I had all the answers after the 76. I was hitting almost every fairway on a narrow course, had great wedge control and putt really well. On Saturday, I had 3 shanks from center of the fairway 110 yards out and 3-putted 5 greens (and a 4 putt!)

Since I've been playing different courses, I'm having trouble adjusting to the pace of the greens. I loved putting the slower and softer Bermuda greens in NC but really just couldn't adjust back to the bent greens on long putts. Even after 20 minutes on the practice green I was all over the place on the course. The putting is just feel and will work itself out with more play but I need to hit the range with just my wedge and just work on rhythm for a few days. I tend to get quick at the top and either skull or chunk it and if i catch it solid it's a monster slice. I just need to relax my hands and swing easy. I find that practicing pitch shots and bunker shots is a great way to get your rhythm back.[/QUOTE]

I played Duck Woods actually. It's right by the bridge. It's a nice private course but the greens were ridiculously soft. I backed up a 4 iron uphill. (yes, I can hit a 4-iron). My Dad played Currituck earlier in the week and said it was nice but the greens were slow.

The 10 finger promotes a fuller release.
CarrotTop.3.250.jpg

I played Duck Woods actually. It's right by the bridge. It's a nice private course but the greens were ridiculously soft. I backed up a 4 iron uphill. (yes, I can hit a 4-iron). My Dad played Currituck earlier in the week and said it was nice but the greens were slow.

Saw duck woods on my way out of town. Wednesday playing latrobe county club and then having lunch with the king. Going to ask him if whitecate is full of shit. Ben hogan could not hold his jock.

Forgot about Cape May National. I played there as well, I really enjoyed the course. Beware though, they are the strict about no coolers on the course. Even if it's filled with non-alcoholic beverages.
I played Cape May National about 15 years ago for my brother's bachelor party, before Twisted Dunes became the standard AC bachelor party golf venue and all I remember is that it is the slowest golf you will ever play and you need to wear a helmet while playing there. Just look at your website. They strive for a 4:36 pace of play.

I remember almost dying while playing that round. I was stitting in my cart in the middle of the fairway while my partner hit and a ball flew through the cart, past my head and hit my driver sticking out of the bag behind my head. No one yelled fore. I had been driving the cart all day but decided to sit in the passenger seat for that minute. I would have been hit in the head if I was sitting behind the wheel.

Had a great night at the range last night - I figured out I had to weak a grip with my left hand. I had the club too deep into my palm instead of resting it on the pad area. Once I got that corrected and took a couple swings to feel comfortable with it I started to crush my driver long and straight. I was hitting it right on the sweet spot and getting the softball bat sound. Now I just need to translate this to the course.

LR - I am playing up in your next of the woods on Monday. Manitou Passage up in Northern Michigan.

I've played it. Just OK. Like ac country club better. Just finished playing latrobe cc and had the pleasure of hanging with the kING. He still lives across the street in a ltitle rancher and goes to the club everyday in the summer. Thats so cool. And yes,I'm bragging.

No time. Quick in and now halfway back to dc.

No time. Quick in and now halfway back to dc.

I have been off all boards for about two months, but as eric bailed me out with great work
on his part. I have almost no knowledge of computers, and he has been a great help. Earlier
in this thread I mentioned I tried a ten-finger grip, and someone I believe thought I was joking.

Two majors have been won by very good players withe ten finger grips. Art Wall won The Masters
while Bob Rosburg won the PGA. A player who had the poorest grip and some success on the tour
was a guy from the University of Houston Eddie Fiori.

Reactions: \|/ Toe
I might be playing too much golf. Today was not a good day. Manged to scull a 60 degree a solid 40 yards over the green. F'ing golf.

Solid work. 15 years back we had a boys reunion deal with a bunch of guys from Nova. One of my buddies hit a ball through some guys house window down in Myrtle Beach. This guy was from Staten Island....his family lived on top of the Hill. I'll never forget him hitting the ball hearing the glass and watching this guy come out of his house in pure rage. He looked at my buddy (a pike at Nova) and I just sat there wondering if I should go save the guy from having a 3 iron shoved down his throat or just let it play out (channeling Burrs). Long story short, for fear of his life the guy slinked back into his home and realized he wasn't getting anywhere. Good memories.

Me, today I sucked. Walked off after nine. No one was injured but my pride.

LR - I am playing up in your next of the woods on Monday. Manitou Passage up in Northern Michigan.
Glad to hear the grip is starting to work for you. For how long are you in Michigan? You coming down my way? Golf on me if you can make it down this way.

Played Wyncote with Arak today. His game is coming along nicely. Strung together a few big numbers but made his fair share of pars.

It was my first time at Wyncote. It was in great shape and almost empty. It's way out there and $75 so I guess that's the reason. We played from the blue tees which is like 6600 yards which doesn't sound too bad but I had some long 2nd shots on par 4s. Great track. I would play there again.

Big fan of Wyncotte. About 1/2 hour from where I grew up. Glad to hear it's still in great shape. Can you expand on Arak's round for me? How was he off the tee? Typical miss? Approach shots? Short game?

Wyncotte was great, I would definitely play there again.

LZ - to answer your question - tee shot is still my biggest weakness. Missed most of the fairways - some by a lot, and a few just rolled off. But I did hit some great drives that surprisingly enough lead to my pars and better holes. My typical miss is a slice. I am still working on getting comfortable with my grip and swing with my driver. I can hit it pretty well at the range after a couple swings, but it's been tougher for me on the course. Still a work in progress for sure.

My approach shots were decent enough I think, when I was on the fairway I was able to strike the ball well enough to get it either on the green or close to the green. I had a couple blow up shots where I hit the ball only a couple yards or so but those kind of shots have been greatly reduced in my last couple rounds.

I was happy with my putting - I hit a fair amount of putts. I can only remember 1 3 putt. My putting has been ok this year so far, really no blow up holes. My wedge play was off. I hit some nice shots, but too many bad ones. My biggest problem here is not following through and the ball ending up on the other side of the green.

Overall I have seen improvement in my game, but there is a lot left to do. I have been going to the range 2-3 times a week and trying to practice with a purpose. I am going to keep at it and hopefully continue to get better.

Arak - hopefully you don't mind me breaking down your round. I forgot the card at home but I can do a Tour style post round recap later if you'd like. (i guess not since I got BB2N'd)

Arak's game is what you would expect from a 25-30 hcp. He hit some good shots from just about all positions. Had a few drives down the middle, with a little fade about 250-260 yrds. Had a fair share of pulls into the fescue/water left and a couple blocks right. Inconsistent contact, some fat, some thin so distance with irons was unpredictable. I found the yardages at Wyncote to be hard to judge for myself as well with elevation changes and wind so it may have been a factor of both. He hits his irons a long way probably a result of delofting them a bit. I think he it a 6-iron 180 on one par 3.

Arak's putting was clearly his strong suit. He made a couple 15 footers and had some pretty good lag putts. The most notable weakness was his sand game but the bunkers at Wyncote could use some more sand. You pretty much had to pick the ball out of them like a normal pitch shot because there wasn't enough sand to hit a typical sand shot. I had a few bad sand shots as well.

All-in, he probably made 3 pars, 6-7 6s and 3 8s (including a rough back-to-back dogballs) for a 105ish. He had a good attitude about it and was fun to play with. I'd do it again. I had 3 birdies and a bunch of double bogies for a 83.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT