ADVERTISEMENT

LizReed - golf lesson advice

i carry PW SW and 60 degree. i only hit the 60 out of the rough near the green. i can hit my PW anywhere from 110 -140 yards. SW anywhere from 50-100 yds. you need to be able to hit your wedges different distances with different swing speeds. its called touch.

I have a PW, 52, 54 and 60. Absolutely helps if you know to use these clubs. Then go 9-4, with a driver, 3 and 3 hybrid.

Arak, you're not good enough to hit that 4 iron. Not trying to be a dick. You'll do much better with a hybrid for that club. Go find a 4 or 5 hybrid to replace it.

adp is correct, a hybrid is better. you can hit it off a tee, fairway or out of the rough. a 4 iron is impossible to hit out of rough unless its a fluffy lie. hybrids are the way to go.

ADP - does 2 degrees make a real difference in wedge? if i have 90 yds i can hit my SW 90 yards just by choking down an inch, if i have 105 yds, i can hit my SW 105 yards.

adp is correct, a hybrid is better. you can hit it off a tee, fairway or out of the rough. a 4 iron is impossible to hit out of rough unless its a fluffy lie. hybrids are the way to go.

ADP - does 2 degrees make a real difference in wedge? if i have 90 yds i can hit my SW 90 yards just by choking down an inch, if i have 105 yds, i can hit my SW 105 yards.

For me it does. I like knowing I can take a full swing and hit to an exact number. For instance, my 52 is 105 on the number. In addition, if you're like me and you play lots of the best courses in the world (many of them actual public courses, and yes I'm being a dick on purpose), you need to be able to hit all kinds of different shots. I'm not good enough to just go out there with 10 clubs. I need all the help I can get. I use many different clubs around the greens. I can't imagine any serious golfer doesn't understand the difference depending upon how much green they have to work with etc...are you flying it back to the hole, running it etc....If you're playing tough courses they will require a bunch of different shots. 30 yards out you might want a 52, an 8 iron or a 60. Depends on 4 other things going on with that given hole.

Last edited:
Reactions: HereComeTheCats
I have a PW, 52, 54 and 60. Absolutely helps if you know to use these clubs. Then go 9-4, with a driver, 3 and 3 hybrid.

Arak, you're not good enough to hit that 4 iron. Not trying to be a dick. You'll do much better with a hybrid for that club. Go find a 4 or 5 hybrid to replace it.
When I get new irons I will look into it.

ADP - fair enough, I actually read an article by Mickelson years and years ago and he said as a kid he was too lazy to go back to teh shed to get other clubs so he learned to play with just his 56 degree SW. he learned how to hit every shot in the book with one club and that was his go to club. regardless of situation he could hit the shot, he felt comfortable with the SW. i took that advice and learned to play anything from 110 and in with it. makes me feel comfortable any time i have SW in my hand. no matter what the play for the shot.

but what you say makes sense.

for the record , Mickelson had a golf course in his back yard which helps a great deal.

Hit about 10000 hours worth of these and all will be right.

medicus-golf-2012-da-dual-hinged-driver-44.jpg

i never bought into any of the training aides. whatever you do on the range doesnt always translate to when you tee it up to play 18. simplify is the best solution. take it back three quarters, fire through. works 50% of the time every time.

If we are speaking club philosphy, heres mine: I don't even carry even numbered clubs....just a 9, 7,5, and 3. My philosphy is that as a shady golfer that is in the 85-95 range, I really don't have enough distance control in the first place, so why bother distracting myself with those decisions?

i carry PW SW and 60 degree. i only hit the 60 out of the rough near the green. i can hit my PW anywhere from 110 -140 yards. SW anywhere from 50-100 yds. you need to be able to hit your wedges different distances with different swing speeds. its called touch.

actually you need to be able to hit your wedges different distances with the same swing speed but different swing arcs/lengths.

I go to Oakland Hills for the day and this thread gets all f*cked to sh*t. Arak---stay the course. DOn't listen to these bozos. Anyone who can't hit a 4 iron shouldn't be giving golf advice.

I go to Oakland Hills for the day and this thread gets all f*cked to sh*t. Arak---stay the course. DOn't listen to these bozos. Anyone who can't hit a 4 iron shouldn't be giving golf advice.

i carry a two iron - so I will continue to provide sage advice.

I can also hit a 4 iron. Liz, you giant gash, worry about finishing competitive rounds.

Parsley and rosemary advice maybe, but certainly not sage.

When I started playing seriously in the late 1950s, golf was a small muscle game
with the hands and wrists. Now it is a big muscle game from the ground up; it was really
difficult to make the switch; actually I really haven't. That is why I have had a tempo problem
for years.

Video or it didn't happen.
You coming back East again this August? I'll be in DC the middle two weeks/Shore otherwise. You have a standing invite/challenge at my club. Just let me know.

Will be in Stone Harbor the 2nd week of August, 8-15. Think we're on 103rd street.

Will be in Stone Harbor the 2nd week of August, 8-15. Think we're on 103rd street.
won't work on my end. I had to head to Latrobe for two days that week (playing Latrobe and meeting Arnie) and then DC rest of week. You should reach out to Titus/guys etc...as they'll be in Margate and would love to see you. I'm happy to connect if you've lost their info.

adp takes a ton of crap for his persistent references to his (leased) Mercedes, but LizReed gets to drop a refence to going to Oakland Hills and everybody lets it slide? Double standard. This has been bothering me since I read it last night after my round at Rich Harvest Farms while discussing with a buddy whether RHF that day was harder than Olympia Fields was when we played it Monday.

adp takes a ton of crap for his persistent references to his (leased) Mercedes, but LizReed gets to drop a refence to going to Oakland Hills and everybody lets it slide? Double standard. This has been bothering me since I read it last night after my round at Rich Harvest Farms while discussing with a buddy whether RHF that day was harder than Olympia Fields was when we played it Monday.

In the US Open at Oakland Hills in 1951, I believe that Hogan shot 67 in final round to
win. He finally said that he brought this monster to its knees. It was reported that
foursomes had to walk single file down the fairways.

Leased C series, complete WT version.

In the US Open at Oakland Hills in 1951, I believe that Hogan shot 67 in final round to
win. He finally said that he brought this monster to its knees. It was reported that
foursomes had to walk single file down the fairways.

If finishing +7 is bringing a course to its knees than he needed to increase his standards.
In 1937 Ralph Guldahl finished -7 at the Open at Oakland Hills - THAT is bringing an Open venue to its knees.

Update: went to the range yesterday and hit 100 balls with only my PW - 7. I felt great, really only mis-hit a handful of shots. I am going to do the same at least one more day this week and then the real test will come Saturday morning when I play a round. I will report back - but I am feeling confident with my grip/swing right now.

Update: went to the range yesterday and hit 100 balls with only my PW - 7. I felt great, really only mis-hit a handful of shots. I am going to do the same at least one more day this week and then the real test will come Saturday morning when I play a round. I will report back - but I am feeling confident with my grip/swing right now.

In order to get a better release and more distance, I went with a ten finger
grip for a short time. It didn't help.

the interlock or overlap is the only way to go.

speaking of playing 18, what are the good Cape May county courses? im looking to play this week. cape may national any good? im staying in Avalon.

the interlock or overlap is the only way to go.

speaking of playing 18, what are the good Cape May county courses? im looking to play this week. cape may national any good? im staying in Avalon.
Ballamor is my favorite in the area. It's towards OC and is about a 25 minute drive from Avalon up the Parkway. Avalon Golf Club isn't bad - they have a $60 deal on Wednesday's that includes a hot dog and a drink. It gets very crowded though which makes for a long round of golf. I've also played Shoregate which is one of the toughest courses I have ever played and Sand Barrens which is ok. Ballamor is my recommendation.

http://ballamor.com/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT