ADVERTISEMENT

LizReed - golf lesson advice

That's my point. The 5 wood is duplicate to the hybrid anyway. You'll get more oUT of the wedges. Just need to learn when and how to hit them. Heck, I hit a ton of 7 and 8 irons around the greens as well. I carry a driver, 3 wood, 3 hybrid and a 4 iron. No need for the other clubs. 52, 54 and 60 wedges.

That's my point. The 5 wood is duplicate to the hybrid anyway. You'll get more oUT of the wedges. Just need to learn when and how to hit them. Heck, I hit a ton of 7 and 8 irons around the greens as well. I carry a driver, 3 wood, 3 hybrid and a 4 iron. No need for the other clubs. 52, 54 and 60 wedges.

That is a good selection of clubs for a senior or lady golfer - someone with less club head speed and power. Cap Tip to you for not letting your ego impact what clubs you put in your bag.

Eric, huh? That doesn't make sense? Anytime you are ready I'll give you one per side and then take you down.

I personally think high handicapers shouldn't carry a 60. I had one in my bag for a few years and took it out because I used it too much. I was always trying to hit the hero flop shot rather than taking a lower, more conservative pitch or chip.

I use the 56 more up North with thick bent grass but opt for lower lofted clubs when on bermuda. I use the 52 or PW to chip most times or will throw in a 8i-9i if I have green to work with or am going into the grain.

I'm pretty good around the green and I think part of it is that I try to take spin out of it and get the ball to roll like a putt. It's more consistent when you don't have to worry about the ball checking up.

Reactions: ericw
I personally think high handicapers shouldn't carry a 60. I had one in my bag for a few years and took it out because I used it too much. I was always trying to hit the hero flop shot rather than taking a lower, more conservative pitch or chip.
I was in a similar mindset for the last few years (I am just under 15 index), and ended up winning a 60 degree at an outing earlier this year. I was only carrying 13 clubs, so no big deal. I've found it to be a very nice addition to my bag and I try not to hit hero flop shots, just try and swing it like I swing my other wedges. I am still getting distances right, but very nice to have

I use the 56 more up North with thick bent grass but opt for lower lofted clubs when on bermuda. I use the 52 or PW to chip most times or will throw in a 8i-9i if I have green to work with or am going into the grain.

I'm pretty good around the green and I think part of it is that I try to take spin out of it and get the ball to roll like a putt. It's more consistent when you don't have to worry about the ball checking up.

I use mine for those shots over water or a bunker or those shots that don't set up well for getting the ball rolling quickly.
I have been trying to get myself to play to flatter spots in the green and judge the roll from there - to reduce variability.
If you just miss a slope you wanted to play off of, or just miss clearing rough/water/sand then you cost yourself multiple strokes quickly.

Does anyone have any comments on the Garmin Approach S5 watch? I managed to lose my range finder and thought I would have a fighting chance with a watch. Looks expensive ($300+) but it fits nicely in a Christmas stocking.

I'm around a 15 to 18 handicap and I have a ben hogan sure out 60 degree wedge. I use it rarely for full shots but it is my go to in the sand. My sand game is probably comparable to a 5 to 8 handicap. I find it very odd that I'm a really good sand player and really ordinary at everything else.

Does anyone have any comments on the Garmin Approach S5 watch? I managed to lose my range finder and thought I would have a fighting chance with a watch. Looks expensive ($300+) but it fits nicely in a Christmas stocking.

Peter - I won one (the S5) this summer in a raffle as part of a member-guest. I've never had either a range finder or a GPS watch, so I kind of doubted if I'd use it (I'd tried GPS devices for my iphone, which just are worthless). Now, I love it. I am also a big fan of having front, center, back yardage - versus yardage to the stick you get with the range finder. I will also use the actual map feature where you can see distance to clear hazard / lay-up. I usually get two rounds out of a charge, which was better than expected for me. (I didn't pay $300, but think it is well worth it)

Peter - I won one (the S5) this summer in a raffle as part of a member-guest. I've never had either a range finder or a GPS watch, so I kind of doubted if I'd use it (I'd tried GPS devices for my iphone, which just are worthless). Now, I love it. I am also a big fan of having front, center, back yardage - versus yardage to the stick you get with the range finder. I will also use the actual map feature where you can see distance to clear hazard / lay-up. I usually get two rounds out of a charge, which was better than expected for me. (I didn't pay $300, but think it is well worth it)
TD...thanks...I need all the help I can get on the course!

The battery life does seem to be the biggest issue. My dad has one and it always seems to be dead. You have to be careful to plug it in after playing otherwise it won't be ready for the next round.

When it works, it does speed up play a lot more than the rangefinders because you can see the yardage while sitting in your cart so once you get out, you know the shot you want to hit without having to shoot the flag with the "laser".

The battery life does seem to be the biggest issue. My dad has one and it always seems to be dead. You have to be careful to plug it in after playing otherwise it won't be ready for the next round.
Battery life was better than I expected. I get typically two rounds out of one charge, assuming I turn it on right on the 1st tee and shut it down when I walk of the 18th green. One trick my buddy does is leave the charger in his car, and plug it into his USB car port - that way he always remembers

Have you thought about a small, reliable generator?
giphy.gif

i signed up for some winter lessons this season as well. i've been playing for like a decade now and I really don't play enough these days, but I've never had formal training. My swing has already changed substantially and the quality of ball striking is way better.

the problem is that I doubt it will really make a tangible difference in my score. the good news is that it is fun to make good contact

Bump. Got golf lessons for Christmas with Stu Ingraham at M Golf.
Heard a lot of awesome stories about that guy. Basically the best player ever to come out of Philly, and now he's teaching lessons at some mat driving range due to poor life choices. Butcher-esque.

both M golf and Old Masters are horrible ranges that are not kept up. how hard is it to buy new mats and balls every five to ten years.

A couple updates:

I took my first lesson last week and it was eye opening. First thing the teacher said to me was "I can't give you a lesson with those clubs, they are too short." I had always known my clubs were short, but wow - he got me a demo 7 iron for the right size (I am about 6'3" so he said I need longer than standard clubs) and started swinging that and it was a world of difference. First off I am no longer hunched over the ball which was basically force me swing the way I have my whole life - down into the ball. He also is reworking my grip - which I knew would happen - but he wanted me to from the interlocking grip to an overlap. I am still getting used to it but so far it feels fine. For right now I am really working on getting my swing to go inside out. It is an adjustment but when some of the shots I hit with the right club, new grip, and new swing were f*cking amazing. I for the first time in my life felt like I was making solid contact. I have always been able to get good distance when I played, even with my shit clubs, but this was so much better. I was hitting a 7 iron pure right down the center of the range about 195 yards. I am going to get fitted for new irons that will be the proper length and bent up 1 degree since I am taller. Looking at Callaway or Taylormade, I am going to demo them this week. For now I have been going to the range and getting the demo club and just swinging out to "right field" to get used to the proper swing path.

I know it's the teachers job to encourage you and I am sure he overstated it a bit, but he said that I am not that far off. He just needs to get me away from my bad habits and to help start developing good ones. I finally feel like there is some light at the end of the tunnel. My goal is to lower my handicap from 27 to 15-18 range by the end of the year.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I've really been wondering how your golf game is coming along...
Haven't been able to play yet this season. I did play in a scramble yesterday at Radnor Valley and did not make very many good swings. Our team finished at +1 and the winners were at -11.

Why does everyone carrying a 27 index on the internet hit their 7 iron 195 but every single digit guy I play with hit it 155-175? Over the top delofted pull hooks where you start aiming way right, or just total baloney?

Reactions: ericw and LizReed
Why does everyone carrying a 27 index on the internet hit their 7 iron 195 but every single digit guy I play with hit it 155-175? Over the top delofted pull hooks where you start aiming way right, or just total baloney?
Right now I pretty much start my PW at 140 and then move up 10 yards a club - so I would say as of now I would count myself around 170 for my 7 iron? But that would be a perfect shot. When I used the proper club for my size and actually made a real golf swing with the correct grip I absolutely crushed it. Again, I am not saying that is what I will hit that distance all the time, but I know that I have it in me.

Right now I pretty much start my PW at 140 and then move up 10 yards a club - so I would say as of now I would count myself around 170 for my 7 iron? But that would be a perfect shot. When I used the proper club for my size and actually made a real golf swing with the correct grip I absolutely crushed it. Again, I am not saying that is what I will hit that distance all the time, but I know that I have it in me.
That's really bad for your game. Distance control > distance.

Key to this post is "on the Internet"

You play with old men?

190 for a 7 iron sounds almost tour-like. I'm between 150-160 for a 7, and I'm not a short hitter.

It's possible I over swing too but distance is not my issue. If I ever straighten out my swing I know I can be a good player. I wish I started when I was younger. This opened my eyes though - I am getting my 8 year old nephew lessons for his birthday.

I am pretty versatile with the wedges around the green between a 52, 56 and 60. Depends on how much green I have to work with versus how much roll. But unless necessary I don't tend to alter the shot type too much. I usually use the same type of swing for each of the shot, just knowing how the ball reacts a little differently depending on the club. I don't usually hit lofting flop shots.

I think it is a good way for higher handicaps to shave strokes by learning to use all three of the wedges.

As a kid I pretty much always used a 9 iron for chipping around the green. Used it with a putting motion. That's all good and something I still use today (with a 52 degree mainly), but that course was pretty basic and little creativity was needed around the greens. I like the Pelz 3x3 method better now.

Yup.

You want consistency and predictability in a golf shot. not distance. Golf is not a home run hitting competition. It is about who can hit the ball directly at the intended spot. Once you are inside of 200 yard sthere is no need to ever try to just muscle shots out there by over swinging.

Reactions: auks07
Sometimes. Played with two high school kids last time at the club, one of whom has Nova as his top choice. He wil play golf in college. Hit his 7 on the par 3 third hole from about 170. Left it 9 feet below the hole.
I was just messing with you with the old man comment,

170 is fine for a 17 year old or so, 150 isn't. If you hit a 7 150, you're looking at what, 190 for a 3? You're going to be unable to score on Par 5s if that's the case on decent course, and maybe some longer par 4's too. The math just doesn't work. Maybe if you're phenomenal around the greens it works and you can pick up some birdies elsewhere, who knows. Golf can be won playing short too, and I'm not advocating overswinging, but a 150 7-iron seems like a pretty big stretch to be a low handicapper. Your birdie chances are few and far between.

All my friends were college golfers. Not one of them hits a solid, average 7 less than 170. Some played at Nova, others played ACC, so a decent barometer for high quality golfers. None of them hit a 7 195 either though.

Solid thread. Lots of good comments.

Personally, it's been difficult losing distance as I approach 40. Use to be able to crank a 7-iron 180 with my old Tommy Armour Silver Scots. Didn't necessarily know where it was going. Now I probably average a comfortable 165 or so with my 7-iron. And I have a pretty good idea where it is going.

Solid thread. Lots of good comments.

Personally, it's been difficult losing distance as I approach 40. Use to be able to crank a 7-iron 180 with my old Tommy Armour Silver Scots. Didn't necessarily know where it was going. Now I probably average a comfortable 165 or so with my 7-iron. And I have a pretty good idea where it is going.
Pretty good, playing from the red tees you must really cleanup on ladies day.

Reactions: NickleDimer
Anyone with a recommendation on Taylormade over Callaway for irons? I was hitting Taylormades today and they felt great.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT