ADVERTISEMENT

LizReed - golf lesson advice

Wyncotte was great, I would definitely play there again.

LZ - to answer your question - tee shot is still my biggest weakness. Missed most of the fairways - some by a lot, and a few just rolled off. But I did hit some great drives that surprisingly enough lead to my pars and better holes. My typical miss is a slice. I am still working on getting comfortable with my grip and swing with my driver. I can hit it pretty well at the range after a couple swings, but it's been tougher for me on the course. Still a work in progress for sure.

My approach shots were decent enough I think, when I was on the fairway I was able to strike the ball well enough to get it either on the green or close to the green. I had a couple blow up shots where I hit the ball only a couple yards or so but those kind of shots have been greatly reduced in my last couple rounds.

I was happy with my putting - I hit a fair amount of putts. I can only remember 1 3 putt. My putting has been ok this year so far, really no blow up holes. My wedge play was off. I hit some nice shots, but too many bad ones. My biggest problem here is not following through and the ball ending up on the other side of the green.

Overall I have seen improvement in my game, but there is a lot left to do. I have been going to the range 2-3 times a week and trying to practice with a purpose. I am going to keep at it and hopefully continue to get better.
Sounds like a normal round for someone starting to take ownership of their swing. Good stuff. Keep at it. "Practice with a purpose" is the most important thing you can do.

The shots that go a few yards will disappear quickly. Don't give those any thought or worry.

Once your grip is 2nd nature spend all of your time on the range hitting wedges.....practice nothing but 50-125 yard shots. Eventually, these swings will carry over to the driver.

Report back in 2 weeks.

had a great day out golfing yesterday at the ACCC - despite almost ripping my right thumb off my hand in a freak driving range accident. the hitting area is marked off with staked down, nylon ropes. I must have been a little to close to one of the ropes in search of something other than a sandy dirt lie. i came through the ball with a wedge, somehow had the club go under the nylon rope, snag my club head and twist the club out of my hand at an odd angle.
walked around ringing out my wrist for a few minutes, the first few swings i took felt horrible. what had been some nice. slight draw drives became slices -- sucked big time. took four advil and played 28 holes anyway - shot 10 strokes worse than i thought i could at the course - beat the guy i was playing by 2. on the extra 9 holes I won by 7 strokes.
my greenside bunker play has been the worst it has ever been - over the last couple months since i got the SW and LW that were fit to my set. I need to meltdown the SW and put my old one back in my bag.
ended on a positive note with a chip in par on the #1 handicap hole (#9).
woke up this morning with a moderately swollen, red hand - can't firmly push down with the right thumb without a little pain. turning keys and door-knobs is the hardest motion to do without feeling weird.

Eric, hope you feel better. What did you think of the course? My favorite down the Shore.

Yesterday, we played Harbor Pines and I took down my old roomate who's playing to a 7. Still stink from 80-130 yards. Everything else is coming together.

Harbor pines used to have some very "friendly" cart girls, still there?

Eric, hope you feel better. What did you think of the course? My favorite down the Shore.

it is a nice track - it was windy so it played harder than what the course rating and slope would indicate. the greens were in horrible shape for the greens fee they are charging. practice green was perfect - made the first 10 footer on the practice green and putted a bunch of lag putts close - assumed it would be a good day with the putter ... but many of the greens were spotty - bald patches of sand/dirt mixed in with some grass. Uphill putts of modest length had a decent chance of going in but it was very random for everything else as putts were snaking through spike marks and bald spots on their way to the hole.

there is a lot of sand around the greens and waste areas just off some of the greens too. with the wind a small miss could cost you a couple of strokes.

Its a tough, fair course. The wind reallu changes the holws along the bay. Too bad to hear about the greens. For what they charge those things should roll. Tuesday I played Ballamore, greens were in great shape. First time playing and would recccomend to those seeking a decent course down the shore.

Its a tough, fair course. The wind reallu changes the holws along the bay. Too bad to hear about the greens. For what they charge those things should roll. Tuesday I played Ballamore, greens were in great shape. First time playing and would recccomend to those seeking a decent course down the shore.

I mentioned Harbor Pines on this thread about a month ago, and I loved it. But that was some time ago.
When I was teaching in Southern Jersey in the 1950s, I played a course called Buena Vista with a fellow
teacher who thought he was a stick. I beat him by about eight strokes.

Is Seaview now owned by a college? I thought both courses were simply fair/

whitecat, the buildings at Seaview are part of Stockton College/University. They integrate it into their hotel and restaurant management curriculum. I am not sure about the golf course, they might have a golf company run the courses?

I have played a few rounds since the last update and the results have been mixed. I am driving the ball better and hitting more fairways but my irons have been off. It was always the other way around but as I have been changing my grip etc it has taken some time to get used to everything with my iron shots. The last 2 times I played I hit maybe 75% of the fairways but fell apart on the 2nd shots. I feel as if my distances are off so that is an adjustment to get used to. I used to peg my PW for 140 and then add about 10 yards for each club, but I probably was de-lofting the club and getting more distance. Now that my grip is changed I feel like I am making better contact with the club face square through the ball but my distance has been less. I am trying to work on that at the range them most, I have been going about 2-3 times a week. It gets very frustrating when I actually play a round because it seems like my swings from the range are not translating. One thing that I did my last round which really helped my short game was to ditch my 56 wedge for anything other than sand shots. I used my PW and I really felt like I had better touch/feel/control around the greens. I am playing this Saturday and am really hoping to have my best round of the season.

I officially got a handicap too and my goal is to be lower than 20 by the end of next summer. I would love to have bigger expectations but I want to be realistic. I hope to keep playing as late into the fall as possible and hopefully get to the range at least a couple times a month as the weather gets worse.

I've played it. Just OK. Like ac country club better. Just finished playing latrobe cc and had the pleasure of hanging with the kING. He still lives across the street in a ltitle rancher and goes to the club everyday in the summer. Thats so cool. And yes,I'm bragging.
Played it for my 4th round of the year, shot a 90, also chipped in on a hole for the first time in my life.

This was part of a bachelor party and when I hit good drives I would bat flip it. Pretty entertaining considering I don't care about playing golf.

Hit a couple gem 2 irons yesterday.
First was from 230 out from out of the junk on the left hand side of the hole - had to hit a low hook to make it around two trees about 100 yards out and bend it back toward a dogleg left green. Ball curled nicely and ended up s short pitch shot from the green in the safe area I was aiming for.
The on the last hole I had an uphill, bare lie from 190-195 yards out after pulling tee shot left on another dogleg left hole to a blind green Hit a high draw that ended up eighteen feet from the pin.

Yesterday, I hit a 230 yard rescue wood out of the rough to about 2 feet for eagle. Don't think I could have done it with a 2 iron. Added on 4 birdies in a career round. Had my fair share of bogeys as well so i ended up shooting 74.

Reactions: ericw
Yesterday, I hit a 230 yard rescue wood out of the rough to about 2 feet for eagle. Don't think I could have done it with a 2 iron. Added on 4 birdies in a career round. Had my fair share of bogeys as well so i ended up shooting 74.
Is that like tjc's "fair share"?

fandom choices - only root for teams in towns you live on or once lived in - or for schools you attended.
collar stays - are horrid
luxury family car choices - luxury is for snobs - get the vehicle that gets the # of people you need to move from A to B reasonably comfortably and cost effectively - Honda Odyssey
or best airport lounges for c-list celebs - real celebs don't hang out in airport lounges

Cargo shorts are the minivan of shorts. Huge swing and a miss there.

Took my 7 yr old out to play a few holes. Normally I have him tee it up about 140 out and play in. Today I let him hit off his first tee on a par 3m. Kid hit his driver 100 and knocked it on. Of course he 3 putt for a bogey. However, end of next year he's challenging arak.

I have been off all boards for about two months, but as eric bailed me out with great work
on his part. I have almost no knowledge of computers, and he has been a great help. Earlier
in this thread I mentioned I tried a ten-finger grip, and someone I believe thought I was joking.

Two majors have been won by very good players withe ten finger grips. Art Wall won The Masters
while Bob Rosburg won the PGA. A player who had the poorest grip and some success on the tour
was a guy from the University of Houston Eddie Fiori.
I use a ten finger grip too. It's just how I first gripped the club and nobody ever corrected me. You almost never see it on tour anymore, but the one time I tried to change it was a giant disaster. I will take that grip to my grave.

Played in a best ball outing at Philadelphia CC on Monday. Beautiful day, beautiful course. As a hacker who is happy to be in the neighborhood of 100 (I only play 3-5 times a year), I was really pleased with how I hit the ball. Our team carded 6 birdies and 3 bogies for the day, most everyone else was in the -3 to -6 range, with the winning team shooting a 59. Lots of comments wondering how real that score was.

Played with a forecaddie for the first time, that was great. Really sped up the pace of play, just wish ours was a little more helpful on the greens. Couple of times his read was completely opposite of the actual break.

I'm an impeccable dresser on the golf course.

That's why I'm spending the bulk of my hours on the course.

The Papel visit has worked wonderwonders fo golfers all over the dc region. Go Francis.

The Papel visit has worked wonderwonders fo golfers all over the dc region. Go Francis.
wp0_wp0_wp0_wp0_wp0_wpefa542f0.png

Had my best round of the year on Saturday - and really did not even play great. I missed pretty much every putt. This is very encouraging though. I played poorly and still shot the best round of the year. I hit a lot of fairways, it was just my distance and accuracy on the 2nd shots that killed me - and my putting. For example, I hit a beautiful drive on a 313 yard par 4 about 280 yards and ended up with a 5 on the hole. I had 2 triples but everything else was a bogey or a double. I think I am moving in the right direction. My playing partners all commented how much better I looked than the last time I played with them, especially my drives.

Good to hear. Stay focused on the long game (140 yds and out). Your worst long shots are always more costly than your worst short ones. Getting yourself to point at which your short game is reasonable is much easier than straightening out the long shots. G...P...A. Grip. Posture. Alignment. Stay the course. 1000 points of light.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT