ADVERTISEMENT

MLB predictions

NovaHoops2002

VUSports.com All-American
Sep 28, 2009
A little less than 2 weeks away from the regular season. Post your predictions here - give as little or as much as you want. I will PDF this thread and we will revisit in October.

AL East

Orioles
Red Sox (WC)
Blue Jays
Yankees
Rays

AL Central

Tigers
Indians
Royals
White Sox
Twins

AL West

Mariners
Angels (WC)
A's
Astors
Rangers

NL East

Nationals
Marlins (WC)
Mets
Phillies
Braves

NL Central

Pirates
Cardinals (WC)
Cubs
Reds
Brewers

NL West

Dodgers
Padres
Giants
Dbacks
Rockies

AL Wild Card

Angels over Red Sox

ALDS

Angels over Orioles
Mariners over Tigers

ALCS

Angels over Mariners

NL Wild Card

Cardinals over Marlins

NLDS

Cardinals over Nationals
Pirates over Dodgers

NLCS

Pirates over Cardinals

World Series

Angels over Pirates

AL Awards

MVP - Mike Trout
Cy Young - Felix Hernandez
Manager - Lloyd McClendon
Rookie - No idea

NL Awards

MVP - Andrew McCutchen
Cy Young - Clayton Kershaw
Manager - Mike Redmond
Rookie - Kris Bryant

NL

East
Nats

Central
Cards

West
Dodgers

WC
Pirates
Marlins

Nats over Dodgers
Cards over Marlins

Cards over Nats

AL

East
Toronto

Central
Tigers

West
Angels

WC
Tribe
Sox

No clue as I think the AL stinks.

Bottom line for me, it's the Cards turn to win it all.

Burrs, when it comes to sports I take Nova hoops and Nats baseball too seriously. Let's just say the past two years those emotional investments have left a lot to be desired. Cards are due for 90 wins and another World Series. You know how they roll being on the receiving end of that franchise. In other news, I'm been working on some new pitches for my 2015 Vienna Little League Season. Those spoiled little snots won't know what hit them.

Not sure which is more surprising, that you picked the Nats to lose in the playoffs again or that you have the Braves finishing in the basement behind the Phillies.

Not a sarcastic post.

AL East
Blue Jays

AL Central
Indians

AL West
Mariners

WC
Angels
Tigers

WC: Tigers over Angels

ALDS: Mariners over Tigers, Indians over Blue Jays

ALCS: Mariners over Indians

NL East:
Nationals

NL Central:
Pirates

NL West:
Dodgers

WC:
Cubs
Marlins

WC: Marlins over Cubs

NLDS: Nationals over Marlins, Dodgers over Pirates

NLCS: Nationals over Dodgers

WS: Mariners over Dodgers

MVP: Mike Trout & Paul Goldschmidt (even though he probably can't get it because his team will be terrible)
Cy Young: Chris Sale & Kershaw
RoY: Kris Bryant (2nd choice Joc Pederson if he plays enough and Yosmany Tomas if he doesn't) & Rusney Castillo (2nd/3rd choices are Andrew Heaney and Alex Meyer in some order)

Lots of similarities between Nats and 'Nova hoops teams of recent vintage. Will be a long, long season of more or less going through the motions in a division where they have no equal, gradually earning the highest seed to get to the tournament and the games that really matter 6-1/2 months from now, with the pressure building every day, unable to shake past failures. Enjoy the ride, adp.

Originally posted by Novacatt94:
Not sure which is more surprising, that you picked the Nats to lose in the playoffs again or that you have the Braves finishing in the basement behind the Phillies.

Not a sarcastic post.
I think the Barves are going to suck. They have a lame duck manager and pretty much have already given up on the season. I think they will be the worst team in baseball this season.

can someone tell me in 1 or 2 sentences why people are so bullish on the mariners this year?

Originally posted by tkuder007:
can someone tell me in 1 or 2 sentences why people are so bullish on the mariners this year?
A's have imploaded, Texas stinks, Angels have pitching issues and someone must win the west.

Originally posted by adp98:

Originally posted by tkuder007:
A's have imploaded, Texas stinks, Angels have pitching issues and someone must win the west.
Plus the Mariners have top notch pitching and added some much needed pop to their lineup with Nelson Cruz. They had a pretty good season last year and if not for a late implosion they would have taken the Wild Card from the A's.

Kyle Seager is a name to keep an eye out, he is due for a bust out season

Originally posted by NickleDimer:

Originally posted by tomdudes:
Phillies will be mathematically eliminated on April 22nd.
Fixed. Will defer to LizReed on the mathematicality of this thought.
Yes. Once Cole Hamels gets injured and only nets Canadian relief pitching prospects in return can we declare the Phils season over.

I believe that's north of 40 games out. Not gonna happen, but it did make me chuckle a bit.

Originally posted by Ninetynine5.0:

I believe that's north of 40 games out. Not gonna happen, but it did make me chuckle a bit.
I will give ND a cap tip on this one. When I picked the August date, I was actually thinking the Phils would be 35 to 40 games out, and that would fall some time in 2H August.

I've been all college hoops with a sprinkle of Premier League the past two months. With the ugly weatherit doesn't feel like the opener less than 2 weeks away. Really need to catch up on baseball.

I'll get back to this one.

Possible bright spot for the Phils later this season - Aaron Nola. He just pitched 3 innings vs the Yankees and allowed 5 hits with 0 BB and 4 K. Struck out 4 of the last 7 batters he faced including A Rod on 4 pitches. Hopefully he makes it up to the big leagues this summer.

Originally posted by NovaHoops2002:
Possible bright spot for the Phils later this season - Aaron Nola. He just pitched 3 innings vs the Yankees and allowed 5 hits with 0 BB and 4 K. Struck out 4 of the last 7 batters he faced including A Rod on 4 pitches. Hopefully he makes it up to the big leagues this summer.
Man, that sounds like a real shining star to me.

Originally posted by nardibynature123:

He "scattered" 5 hits over 3 IP.....It's always sunny baby....

This post was edited on 3/27 2:52 PM by adp98

For his 1st ever action against the big boys it was not bad at all. But then again, the Yankees have a pretty putrid lineup so take from it what you will.

I like Nola, he has a pretty good change up already and seems to have the right mental makeup. I think he has a chance to be a pretty good # 2 starter for the Phils in the future.

This post was edited on 3/27 2:56 PM by NovaHoops2002

For his 1st ever action against the big boys it was not bad at all. But then again, the Yankees have a pretty putrid lineup so take from it what you will.

I like Nola, he has a pretty good change up already and seems to have the right mental makeup. I think he has a chance to be a pretty good # 2 starter for the Phils in the future.

Thank you for proving my 1st response Man, that sounds like a real shining star to me.

Thank you for proving my 1st response Man, that sounds like a real shining star to me.
All that really mattered was that he got his chance to pitch against Major League hitters for the 1st time in his career, even if it was only spring training.

Gotta love what it means to be a Phils fan. Seizing on any shred of hope, like with Nola (especially since he doesn't really project as a top of the rotation guy, more a solid No. 3 from what I heard). So many miles to go for the Phils, so little hope.

On the other hand, you don't hear much at all about the Nationals here in DC. Did hear on the radio on the way home yesterday though that Werth is hoping to be back by opening day from whatever the latest 'roid abuse-induced injury he has is. I believe his shoulder this time. At least a 50/50 chance this is the year that his years of on again-off again steroid abuse just break him down for good. His loss would be felt in the clubhouse, given the questionable makeup of the rest of the team at crunch time as it is.

But Nats winnning the division is as close to a sure thing as you'll ever see in sports. I wonder if anyone down here will watch.

Originally posted by lowry99:

Gotta love what it means to be a Phils fan. Seizing on any shred of hope, like with Nola (especially since he doesn't really project as a top of the rotation guy, more a solid No. 3 from what I heard). So many miles to go for the Phils, so little hope.

But Nats winnning the division is as close to a sure thing as you'll ever see in sports. I wonder if anyone down here will watch.
$100 Nats best the Phillies again in attendence. We on?

Of course I wouldn't take that bet. You're pitting a team that is almost assured of running wire to wire in first place and has big star attractions like Harper and Strasburg/Zimmerman, against a team almost certain to be in the cellar. Even if the Nats have lost this battle before, I'm thinking there's not a lot of upside in that one for me.

Maybe this is the sort of attitude and low expectations that keeps the Nats from reaching their full potential in October.

The Phils' product will be bad (and even if it's not as bad as expected, they'll be miles out of first place), the hatred of Amaro runs deep and he is still around, it pi$$es me and a lot of other fans off just having to see him interviewed I think. There could be a fan revolt. Hamels likely to be traded further depressing attendance (I'd expect a decent walk-up on days when he's pitching and the weather looks good).

Also, DC's numbers, low as they are, are propped up a bit by the summer intern/summer associate crowd that comes for three innings, has a beer and leaves, putting a nice floor under the numbers.

Exactly, you won't take that bet as the days of clinging to attendance figures are over. You go return to brightsiding over a potential mid-rotation pitcher scattering 5 hits in 3 IP vs.a spring training line-up. Let's all remember how we got here; brightsiding over some guy who just struck out an 89 year old A-Rod somewhere in Florida.

Originally posted by lowry99:
On the other hand, you don't hear much at all about the Nationals here in DC. Did hear on the radio on the way home yesterday though that Werth is hoping to be back by opening day from whatever the latest 'roid abuse-induced injury he has is. I believe his shoulder this time. At least a 50/50 chance this is the year that his years of on again-off again steroid abuse just break him down for good. His loss would be felt in the clubhouse, given the questionable makeup of the rest of the team at crunch time as it is.
He got you a title in '08 on steroids.

And so did Rollins, Utley and Howard. However, everyone juiced so I can't see why it's an issue. Hopefully he takes them another 3 years as that's how long his contract runs. I'll be pissed if he quits.

I was not brightsiding over Nola, see my note above. I was pointing out though that Phillies fans still follow the team even when bad, for better or worse. I have no illusions about the current state of the Phillies franchise, and I'm going to have trouble dealing with it especially as long as Amaro continues to have any sort of key decisionmaking role.

I'm the type of Philly sports fan that is not an apologist for management. I try to be objective in that way at least. I'm having a harder time dealing with their situation because of this, and it makes me less likely to watch.

As far as the Nats like I said way up the thread enjoy the ride, knowing (similar to how we did this 'Nova season) that the only games that really matter for a team like this are many months away.

ADP talking attendance stuff again. 90+ win Nats' team bested the Phillies by a measly 2k per last year. Yawn.

Phils are looking strong. Buchanan, Harang, Williams, Slowey behind King Cole. And a dynamic offense!

#Championship

I was trying to think of the last Phillies season that projects as being as depressing as this one. Thinking you have to go back to 1996. No hope of contention with the last dregs of the '93 team gone (or effectively done) save Schilling (Phils actually were on the periphery of the WC hunt late in '95), Schilling the only player worth watching until Rolen came up (and you didn't know at the start of the year what he/d be/when he'd be up necessarily). And I think maybe Schilling got hurt that year to boot. Horrible pitching staff. And the kicker -- they still played in the Vet with no realistic hope of a new stadium on the horizon.

All the years since had more exciting young players at least, or stars coming in (Rolen at least, then Rollins, etc., Thome signing, new park, eventually contention in the '00s). The years before that had teams that conceivably could have been/were half decent back to probably 1989 pre-Dykstra, around time of Schmidt retirement when it was a similar situation. Awful.

I was in college in '96 though so didn't really care. More depressing now.

Originally posted by gldendog:
Phils are looking strong. Buchanan, Harang, Williams, Slowey behind King Cole. And a dynamic offense!

#Championship
Curse lives on?

Slowey was just cut today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT