ADVERTISEMENT

MLB trade deadline thread

They're essentially eating $36 million!?!?! 9.5 cash and 26 mill over 2 for this stuff Harrison. And they didn't get a top prospect!? Jesus.

Harrison is either going to pitch well (good #3) or else he's going to re-injure his back and retire. At that point, insurance covers his salary anyhow. I'm actually intrigued by him, but odds are on him getting re-injured. His back surgeon strongly suggested he retire after having his spine fused.

As a Phillies fan, it is laughable if you're looking at his record as a method to judge how good of a pitcher he is. Look at his record when he gets run support of 3 or more runs and do a comparison between that and less than 3 runs.

I was mad at first thinking this trade was only for Alfaro, Thompson, and Eikhoff. Adding Williams made it a fair deal in my book. While Williams hasn't had the best year in the minors, he's still comparable to Nola on a prospect level. The Phillies only had one prospect left in the top 100 (with Nola in the majors) and just added 3 more. Also I don't consider Gallo a prospect as he's playing in the bigs and knocking out Home Runs. No shot they were getting him unless maybe he was the only player the Phillies were going to get and they took on half of Hamel's contract.

You can't just look at his W-L record. His run support has been laughable.

Also turns out that Thompson is their best pitching prospect. Maybe burrs was right after all.

NN1188 is one of those dopes that looks at wins as an indicator of how good a pitcher is. It's been discussed before. No surprise he also thinks a no hitter is better than winning a pennant.

Despite what's been said, it will take a minimum of 18 years to judge this trade. (And please oh please oh please, let it turn out better than the Schilling or Rolen trades, No Omar Daal's!)

You can't just look at his W-L record. His run support has been laughable.

Also turns out that Thompson is their best pitching prospect. Maybe burrs was right after all.

Go back and read the middle-to-end of 3rd page and beginning of 4th page of the Queeny no hitter thread. I think what they got was in the ballpark of what they got.

Rangers get 3.5 years of Hamels and Jake Diekman (who will probably not suck with a competent coaching staff) for $44 million. They gave up a yawn catching prospect (MiLB OPS .750) and 3 yawn pitching prospects (some more possible " projected at 3-5" starters!?!). It's basically back-filling the Phils farm system for those 09-12 drafts that suuuuucked.

Reactions: kjbert
ND: you cannot kill the Phillies here. If two of thsee kids develop it's a good deal. A bit surprised they didn't get more given all the money going the other way but they didn't have a lot of leverage. I'm with burrs here.

Reactions: kjbert
I still think Diekman has potential. He's LH and throes 97-98 consistently. Yea, he's erratic and wild at times, but you can work with his arm.

That dope Dubee probably set him back 3 years.

Rueben is a nitwit, so I am not defending him here, but the Phillies are going to get ripped no matter what they do.

When they gutted their farm system to win now, they were roasted.

Now they try to restock said farm system with prospects, and everyone they get is a "yawn."

There are very few can't miss prospects. The Phillies shit the bed big time. Their only choice is to start digging themselves out of the hole they created for themselves. Too bad they waited an extra two years to start the initiative. It didn't help that Cliff Lee's left arm fell off right in the middle of it all, but what are ya gonna do?

ND: you cannot kill the Phillies here. If two of thsee kids develop it's a good deal. A bit surprised they didn't get more given all the money going the other way but they didn't have a lot of leverage. I'm with burrs here.

Not killing them just yet. Just working out my thoughts. Them eating that much $$ is a surprise.

Nodding vigorously.

I still think Diekman has potential. He's LH and throes 97-98 consistently. Yea, he's erratic and wild at times, but you can work with his arm.

Troy McClure is even worse. Utley dressed him down on the mound because he couldn't get Francoeur out of the game. Humiliating.

Read the CoP Daily News and had to laugh at ND's alter ego (Marcus Hayes) ripping the trade. His contrarian schtick though was from a different point of view. He cited Schilling getting better after he left the Phils as evidence that trading Hamels was wrong because his best years were still ahead of him. I give him points for being creative with his asshole act at least.

Maybe in 2018 when the Phils contend again, they can trade for him back.

Troy McClure is even worse. Utley dressed him down on the mound because he couldn't get Francoeur out of the game. Humiliating.

Not saying McClure (Bob?) is anything special, but no one, and I mean no one could of been worse than that jackass Dubee. He was disaster with younger pitchers.

Also, there is zero chance that RAJ did this deal on his own. ZERO. This was a Gillick, with consultation from McPhail operation. RAJ dialed the phone and collected the scouting reports. No way he had final say.

Best part is if the trade turns out to be a disaster then Ruben will be left holding the bag. But he'll be long gone by then anyway (I would hope)

Read the CoP Daily News and had to laugh at ND's alter ego (Marcus Hayes) ripping the trade. His contrarian schtick though was from a different point of view. He cited Schilling getting better after he left the Phils as evidence that trading Hamels was wrong because his best years were still ahead of him. I give him points for being creative with his asshole act at least.

Maybe in 2018 when the Phils contend again, they can trade for him back.

Smallwood and Marcus Hayes are the same person.

I wonder what bill1chair@aol would have opined. May we never forget.

Meanwhile, how about the shit show that transpired between the Mets and Brewers last night.

Last edited:
Who knows about any of these guys. The only thing that bothers me is that the Phillies could have traded Hamels to the Dodgers last year and ended up with Joc Pederson. We'll see how these guys develop.

Reactions: obriend1
The only thing I can judge right now is how it looks on paper. It seems like a good deal. I told you the other day what I didn't want to see. And that didn't happen.However, I understand how these things go. More times than not they end up stinking. Just using history.

Who knows about any of these guys. The only thing that bothers me is that the Phillies could have traded Hamels to the Dodgers last year and ended up with Joc Pederson. We'll see how these guys develop.

Source??? Not saying it didn't happen, but I don't recall it.

Source??? Not saying it didn't happen, but I don't recall it.
Nothing official obviously, but he was the main name thrown around last year and even the year before. It's easy to look back at it now since Pederson has shown a lot of power

I know the Phillies supposedly wanted both Pederson and Urias last year and supposedly the Dodgers straight up offered Pederson for Hamels. Or at least I remember that and thinking that they should do it, esp when the Dodgers still had Kemp.

Joc had a sick sick minor league year last year. I drafted him in the 10th round of a keeper league and was laughed at for "taking him too early". He might strike out a lot and not hit for average but potential 35 plus home runs with speed is rare in the league right now.

Would Mets fans want this?

I know Foye did. How? I saw the name Carlos Gomez across my Twitter screen about 6 times last night.

The Mets wanted to send Lagares instead of Flores to save more money. Now, speculation that the deal was held up because the Mets asked MIL to eat some of the 9 mil due next year. Really?

It will be interesting watching them patch that everyday line-up and waste the pre-arbitration years of that dynamite staff.

Oh yea, I guess Willie Mays, I mean Juan Lagares, did come back to Earth this year. Scuffling on both sides of the ball. I wonder who said this?

Nothing official obviously, but he was the main name thrown around last year and even the year before. It's easy to look back at it now since Pederson has shown a lot of power

Yea, but I always got the sense that he was off limits.

Conlin would have talked about watching a young Cole Hamels, when he was just 17 and a prospect to be drafted. With his dreamy baby face and angular body, Conlin knew he was destined for greatness.

Seriously, how many times do you guys think Conlin yanked it to Cole?

Looks like the Jays gave up Daniel Norris (Top prospect), Matt Boyd (11th ranked prospect), and Jairo Labourt (their 19th prospect).

Last edited:
Paps with the save in a 1-0 Nats win. Storen with nice 8th inning.

Nelson gets moved for a rental. And the Phillies can't get an elite prospect for a guy under control for 3 more yrs.

Nelson gets moved for a rental. And the Phillies can't get an elite prospect for a guy under control for 3 more yrs.

One might view a rental as more valuable than paying a pitcher, who will turn 32 before next year and who has pitched 2000 innings, over $85 million over 3.5 years.

Gdig, chill. Nelson isn't that much better, if he's actually better, than Thompson. Nelson only became the Jays top ranked guy because of the Tulo move. I'd rather have what the Phillies got than the Jays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT